Is Tithing for Christians?

Watchman Christen 2012/06/09 09:58:03

I will send
you a $1000 dollar donation if you can show me one single NT scripture in the
27 books of our NT Canon where anyone anywhere at any time ever practiced
tithing in anyway shape or form under the new covenant!!!

• tony 2012/07/03 18:46:05
    tony
    I would love to know what´s your position on your own posting. I am dfinitely convinced that that tithing is for Christians. and if you don´t tithe you are stealing from God

Matthew 23:23
    King James Version (KJV)
    23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Matthew 23:23
    New International Version (NIV)
    23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Matthew 23:23
    New Living Translation (NLT)
    23 “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens,[a] but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.
  • Watchma... tony 2012/07/05 23:11:26
    Watchman Christen
    Christ an OT Jew was talking to other OT Jews in Matthew 23:23 which were bound under the law of Moses!!!

If you can show me at least one single scripture in the 27 books of our NT Canon where anyone anywhere at anytime practiced tithing in anyway shape or form under the NEW COVENANT {after the death of Christ} i will send you $1000....

God hold you
    Watchman
  • tony Watchma... 2012/07/06 22:55:11
    tony
    Are you by this implying that tithing is part if the law? The reason I embark in this conversation is not because I{m trying to get the money you so kindly offer, for I and you know that such passage does not exist. at least not directly. I just want to know your position in this matter: Is tithing for Christians??

GOD BLESS YOU!!!
  • Watchma... tony 2012/07/08 09:59:20
    Watchman Christen
    No my brother tithing never was a NT practice nor will it ever be.....

God bless you also
    Watchman
  • tony Watchma... 2012/07/12 19:12:52 (edited)
    tony
    Wiyh all due respetc, my dear brother i have to say that i desagree with You but I would love to hear you explain why you have adopted that position. I strongly believe that the bible teaches tithing, Including the new testment.
    It is true: No one can make a case about it in the new testment alone; but the doctrine of tithing I strongly believe is still for Us under the new covennant. I will let you elaborate you point of view and then I will be very happy to do the same thing my self. and We will be as brothers as always because We are united by the blood of Christ.

God Bless you!
  • Watchma... tony 2012/07/20 09:32:14
    Watchman Christen
    You see my precious brother if you believe that tithing has been carried over into the new covenant than you need to be able to show at least one single example of someone somewhere at some time practicing tithing under the new covenant which cannot be found in the 27 books of our NT Canon, please think about this for a while ok brother!

May God hold and bless you also
    Watchman
  • tony Watchma... 2012/07/30 17:55:59
    tony
    That is not the only way to prove that tithing is fo christians. with all due respect, I think that you need a little more bible education. My advise to you is: do an in depht study on tithing:

http://www.joncourson.com/tea...
  • Watchma... tony 2012/07/31 06:03:33
    Watchman Christen
    You must show at least on single example or you do not have a leg to stand on!!! Prove all things and test every spirit weather it comes from God or not!!! Tithing never was nor will it ever be a NT practice….. In fact not even the Jews in Israel practice tithing today simple because there is no my temple!!! It is a sin for a gentile preacher to collect tithes today…… please see my teaching on the subject The Sin of Tithing today at - http://abcpreachers.ning.com/... please start at page 3 and work your way back to page one and let me know what you think…..

http://abcpreachers.ning.com/...

Shalom/Watchman
  • tony Watchma... 2012/08/14 19:55:37
    tony
    let me ask you first..... did you check the link i sent you? and if so tell me wht.s you honest opinion
  • Watchma... tony 2012/08/16 03:50:21
    Watchman Christen
    yes i did and it showed a lot of OT scripture pertaining to tithing but not one NT scripture confirming that tithing ever was a NT practice!!! tithing was not practiced in the first century by Christ or his apostles brother please see this indisputable fact! Christ himself did not collect tithes to support his three and a half tear earthly ministry nor did his apostles afterwords and this is a biblical fact so what gives NT gentile preachers the power or right to do so today?

God hold you
    Johnny

Now did you honestly go to my teaching on the sin of tithing and consider it?
  • tony Watchma... 2012/08/25 15:41:29
    tony
    Have you checked the linked I sent to you ? If so please give me your honest opinion, and then I will have the respect to check the teaching that you sent me. Remember: I sent it to you first.
    Tithing was practiced in the new testament. I, actually shocked that you have not seen it
  • Watchma... tony 2012/08/19 03:21:41
    Watchman Christen
    Hello!!!!!!!!!!! why wont you answer????
  • tony Watchma... 2012/08/25 15:36:42
    tony
    I do not have time to log in soda head very often and that´s why I had not answer you. I do honestly believe that you are misslead and that you are missleading people, However this is not one of those crucial doctrines that will lead people astray. I think that one day you´ll find out that you were wrong and that I was right. God bless you!!
  • Watchma... tony 2012/08/28 08:15:55
    Watchman Christen
    then prove your right with NT scripture!!! You can't Tony because tithing was never ever practiced under the new covenant and you know it..... you know what just forget it because you just don't want the truth and thats why your under a strong delusion......

I wont bother you any more.....

Take care
    Watchman
  • tony Watchma... 2012/08/29 16:23:54 (edited)
    tony
    And why are you calling it a ¨strong dilusion?¨ A desagreement like this will not make you or i loose our salvation, because it is not escential salvation doctrine. We can desagree in something like this and still be brothers in Christ. You are absolutely right: One can not make a case about tithing based on the new testament alone, but I belive that tithing is for Christians. based on the entire bible, because it was practiced cefore the law, and Jesus never sai d it was not to be practiced any more. neither did Paul nor any of the disciples; would you agree with me on that?

And please do not say that you bother me. in reality i liove discissing with you, my dear brother, how ever know that i will not be offended if you choose not to answer me any more.

May the Lord richly bless you and you family

Sincerely: Your brother in Christ
  • Watchma... tony 2012/08/30 15:52:43
    Watchman Christen
    I love you brother please give me a while to get back to you on this because I am in a Lupus flair and the computer makes it worse for me so ill get back to you as soon as i can.....

May God truly hold you and yours
    Watchman
  • tony Watchma... 2012/09/01 15:01:26
    tony
    Take your time brother
  • tellmewhy 2012/06/13 04:49:11
    tellmewhy
    you must be one rich dude!
  • Watchma... tellmewhy 2012/06/15 02:13:29 (edited)
    Watchman Christen
    Rich in Christ!!! This is air tight brother because tithing never was nor will ever be a NT practice!!!
  • The Judge 2012/06/09 11:52:10
    The Judge
    http://www.openbible.info/top...

Luke 18:12 ESV / 26 helpful votes

I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’

Luke 11:42 ESV / 16 helpful votes

“But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and neglect justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others
  • The Judge The Judge 2012/06/09 11:52:56
    The Judge
    I'll tel you where to send it =)
  • Watchma... The Judge 2012/06/09 13:07:40
    Watchman Christen
    Nice try Judge but Christ an old testament Jew was talking to a Pharisees which was another old testament Jew both bound by the Law of Moses!!! This has nothing whatsoever to do with tithing being practiced under the new covenant! If you notice Christ was still alive during the conversation so the new covenant has not even begun yet!!!

Shalom/Watchman
  • Charmaine Watchma... 2012/06/11 07:05:47
    Charmaine
    What a liar...you owe him some money FOOL!!!
  • GARY AR... Charmaine 2012/06/11 17:33:31
    GARY ARNOLD
    +2
    Jesus himself said "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed…" Since the blood of Jesus hadn't yet been shed, he was prophesying, or telling them what was to come.

Hebrews 9:16-17 (KJV)
    16For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
    17For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
    Therefore you must be careful when reading the four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) as they took place during the Old Testament up until the death of Jesus. Jesus was born, lived, and died under the Old Testament. Jesus, Himself, was under the law. Jesus lived the law, taught the law, and prophesied that which was coming.

There is absolutely NO teaching of tithing after Calvary. None.
  • Charmaine GARY AR... 2012/06/11 17:56:37
    Charmaine
    seems to me like you are beating around the bush
  • GARY AR... Charmaine 2012/06/11 18:12:55
    GARY ARNOLD
    +2
    If you don't know that the New Testament begins after Calvary, then you obviously confused when you read the Bible.

Furthermore, the Biblical tithe was NEVER money, and NEVER came from anyone's income. God defined His tithe in Leviticus 27:30-33 and gave His ordinances for the tithe in Numbers 18 and Deut. 14.22-29. How is it that the church today totally ignores God's definition and His ordinances?

NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE pays the Biblical tithe today.

THE FIRST TITHE
    Leviticus 27:30-33 defines this tithe as a tenth of crops and animals in herds and flocks.
    Numbers 18 gives the ordinances, or instructions, for this tithe, and commands this tithe be taken to the Levites.
    Purpose of this tithe: to support the Levitical Priesthood.

SECOND TITHE
    Deuteronomy 14:22-27: aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take to the yearly feasts.
    Purpose of this tithe: “that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always”

THIRD TITHE
    Deuteronomy 14:28-29: aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.
    Purpose of this tithe: to feed the poor.

Now, tell me. Which of the above three tithes commanded by God does anyone follow today?

The ONLY people in the Old Testa...

THE FIRST TITHE

SECOND TITHE

THIRD TITHE

The ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it. No one else tithed. Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus did not tithe as a carpenter. Paul did not tithe as a tent maker. Peter did not tithe as a fisherman.
  • Charmaine GARY AR... 2012/06/11 19:16:35
    Charmaine
    Okay, I understand now. Good analysis BTW!!! I think people incorporated tithing (as far as money is concerned) when sacrificing animals became not normal for our time. It confuses me too, it seems tithing is used to raise money for the Church and its careless spending rather than being used for the higher power which is God. I don't tithe because I have no money nor do I have a church (in the process of picking another when I leave for college in the fall)!!! GREAT JOB!!!
  • GARY AR... Charmaine 2012/06/11 19:34:45
    GARY ARNOLD
    +3
    Don't be misled into believing they didn't have money during Biblical times. While the tithe could NOT be money, the Temple Tax HAD to be paid with money. Abraham was rich in money. Abraham bought land with money. Jacob bought land with money. Money was used then just as it is now. Wage earners did not tithe.
  • Charmaine GARY AR... 2012/06/11 19:47:59
    Charmaine
    I figured that and I am not misled.
  • Watchma... GARY AR... 2012/06/12 10:25:18
    Watchman Christen
    110% correct!!!

2014/10/25 17:38:32