Is This Doll a Sick Idea?

AdriHead 2012/11/13 00:10:31
This isn't your typical beaming, smiley-faced doll. A doll designed to look like an ill, premature newborn is being slammed by disgusted parents and organizations alike. Though the manufacturers say that the all-too-lifelike doll helps parents of sick newborns cope, parents themselves don't agree.

A mother who lost one of her newborn twins wrote “I’m disgusted. What kind of sick and twisted individual does this?” And Sue Williams, who's a part of premature baby charity Adapt, called the idea "sick," adding that "The dolls aren’t comforting. They only extend the grieving process.” Do you think this doll is a sick idea?

THESUN.CO.UK reports:
TOY tot wired up to breathing tubes is slammed by charities though makers' claim it helps parents of sick newborns cope
breathing tubes slammed charities claim helps parents sick newborns cope

Read More: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4639080/...

• Skylie 2012/11/13 00:51:23 (edited)
    No, I don't see the big deal
    Skylie
    +20
    Honestly, I'm finding some people's response to this doll as "sick and inappropriate". The way some are reacting to its creation implies that they find it taboo (and shameful) for a person to be born premature or in need of artificial aid (life support). If they had made a doll with down syndrome, would you have the same (negative) reaction?

It's a doll, that emulates an infant with certain needs. How is that possibly "sick and inappropriate"? Not all infants are born healthy and mature, and some that are die of SIDS. Does that mean that we should destroy all dolls because they might cause emotional distress to someone who (unfortunately) experienced the death of their offspring? No, it does not. It's a doll people. Get over it.

• Aisha Radford 2014/08/01 01:45:57
    No, I don't see the big deal
    Aisha Radford
    YOU KNOCK ME SICK MY SON LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE THIS DOLL HE WAS 16WK EARLY AND DOWN SYNDROME AND READING THESE COMMENTS IM FUMMMIN ITS LIKE YA SAYIN MY BOYS DISGUSTING!!! HE DIED 8 WKS OLD AND MY MEMORY IS HIM LOOKING LIKE THIS!
    I WILL BE BUYING ONE A REPLICA OF HIM AS I NEVER GOT TO HOLD HIM MUCH AND WITH THIS DOLL ILL BE ABLE TO GET THROUGH I!!
    NOT ONE OF YOU CAN COMMENT ON HOW A PARENT WOULD FEEL OR IF THEY WOULD WANT THE DOLL COS UR ONLY SPEAKIN FROM YA OWN IGNORANCE!!
    IVE BEEN THRU IT ALSO SEEN OTHER SICKBABIES TOO FOR WEEKS DAY IN DAY OUTAND THEYRE NOT DISGUSTING AND SICK YOU LOT ARE DISGUSTING AND SICK SOME OF THE HORRIBLE COMMENTS ARE DISTURBING SO I HOPE YOU NASTY SWINES DONT HAVE ANY KIDS!!
    ITS LIKE ME SAYING OH YOUR 10 YEAR OLD 11 16 21 YEAR OLD IS ON SAME LIFE SUPPORT AS BABIES SO YOUR KIDS SICK AND DISGUSTING HIDE IT AWAY!!
    YOU NEVER BEEN THROUGH IT SO YOU WILL NEVER KNOW TIL YOU DO!! I MAY THINK YA NANS VILE DISGUSTING AND KNOCKS ME SICK LOOKIN AT HER ON A LIOFE SUPPORT AND YOU WOULD GET PISSED OFF COS SHES NOT SICK TO YOU AS UR CLOSE TO HER....
    WELL SANME FOR US PARENTS WE LOVE OUR BABIES WE DONT LOOK AT THEM AS SICK ORRIBLE THINGS LIKE UR PORTRAYIN...
    IGNORANCE LIKE THIS FROM YOU LOT IS WHATS RUINED OUR PLANET/COUNTRY ETC....
    INSTAND DISLIKE TO SOMETHING U DONT UNDERSTAND YOU ALL KNOCKL ME SICK PATHEIC THE LOT OF YA NASTY IM FUMMINNN...
  • Mother of 4 2013/03/02 16:35:44 (edited)
    No, I don't see the big deal
    Mother of 4
    This is not an inappropriate product. I also agree that it can be used as a teaching aid yet in another way. What's wrong with a miracle baby ?Not every infant that's born immature or with certain birth defects dies. I also believe that for a young toddler this baby doll can help them understand the nature and caring for their sibling or family member who may be sick. It can teach them to be delicate and prepare not only the parents but the young toddler when the child is able to come home. Eventually the infant maybe able to grow up healthy or able to sustain a healthy lifestyle and may become another miracle as so many in the world have and that's something the family can always look back on the beginning n where the child/adult is now.
  • JustMe 2012/12/07 01:53:21
    No, I don't see the big deal
    JustMe
    I can see this as an excellent teaching device, take a little glamor out of getting pregnant and having a baby. I also remember when I was younger there was a doll out that looked much like this, without all the accessories
  • Olimpia Nicula :) 2012/11/27 08:11:19
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    Olimpia Nicula :)
  • La 2012/11/26 10:58:02
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    La
    +1
    I'm not super disgusted but I don't think it's a thing that needs to exist. I don't see how it could do any good.
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/11/16 16:39:30
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    Pinball Wizard
    +1
    A little distasteful.
  • dude 2012/11/15 15:45:19
    No, I don't see the big deal
    dude
    +2
    I want a few or more.!!
    When I was an EMS Chief for a City we had to go to Toy'r us and buy a baby doll, take medical supplies and attach it to the doll ourselves for realistic training with new Paramedics that NEVER where exposed to a "Special Needs" or "Medically Fragile" child.
    I
  • hippycat 2012/11/15 13:36:36
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    hippycat
    +1
    I find all these 'reborn' dolls appalling but this one is even worse than everything else I saw - Muenchausen by proxy comes to mind.
  • Mo 2012/11/15 13:23:01
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    Mo
    +1
    This"toy" is designed to promote the desire to nurse rather than to become a parent.
  • MeiLin 2012/11/15 07:11:18
    No, I don't see the big deal
    MeiLin
    +1
    Perfect for children who want a career in the medical profession, or just think they do!
  • disclaimer 2012/11/15 06:32:26
  • Nat Turner disclaimer 2012/11/18 00:43:11
    Nat Turner
    GOOD ANSWER!
  • Anonymous 2012/11/15 06:31:30
    No, I don't see the big deal
    Anonymous
    It's awesome! There need to be more dolls like this one! :)
  • Chris La 2012/11/15 04:45:47
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    Chris La
    +2
    This doll only makes sense as a medical training tool for someone who has to care for such a sick child not as some kind of toy.
  • Brit 2012/11/15 03:40:13
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    Brit
    +3
    I'm disturbed. How does this help?! This is the object of my nightmares. Child of Chucky, A New Generation of Evil.
  • kfm11b 2012/11/15 00:15:11
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    kfm11b
    +2
    People keep saying that the doll could be used for educational purposes, but I don't see how. It dosen't have any functions that teach you how to care for a premature infant. It's just the image of an ill, suffering child. I'd also like to point out, the question wasn't "Do you think this doll should be banned?" it was "Is this doll a sick idea?" People who are turning this into a political issue are off topic. Of course the government has no right to ban the doll, but that's a completely different topic.
  • PokerFace 2012/11/14 22:50:18
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    PokerFace
    +1
    just looking at the picture is disturbing, this is sad, let alone having a doll staring at you
  • Red Omega 2012/11/14 22:10:32
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    Red Omega
    +3
    It is sick as toy, but I could see its use as an educational tool.
  • Marie 2012/11/14 18:39:36
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    Marie
    +1
    The most horrible thing that can happen to anyone is the loss or serious illness of a child! Nothing can help perents cope except Faith and Hope!
  • Juanb 2012/11/14 18:18:03
  • cypher 2012/11/14 17:57:54
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    cypher
    +3
    Its bad enough when your children are born with any problem but to see it potrayed on a childs toy makes it look like a joke, and it is in no way a joke im offended by it!
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/11/14 17:29:25
    No, I don't see the big deal
    Christopher Kirchen
    +1
    It's not for me to say; nor you.
  • Swartzy 2012/11/14 16:29:50
    No, I don't see the big deal
    Swartzy
    +1
    Seems like a good training doll to me. At least, good for those of us who have ever worked or are planning to work in a NICU.
  • Marie Swartzy 2012/11/14 18:42:30
    Marie
    +1
    My daughter has worked with sick newborns for many years, and I know she would never buy this doll!
  • Swartzy Marie 2012/11/16 12:39:38
    Swartzy
    Meh. I wouldn't purchase one for personal use, but some medical facilities might.
  • Nat Turner Swartzy 2012/11/18 00:47:34
    Nat Turner
    Is a doll with a penis a good training doll too?
  • Swartzy Nat Turner 2012/11/20 15:00:14
    Swartzy
    +1
    If you're practicing the insertion of a urinary catheter, then yes.
  • Nat Turner Swartzy 2012/11/20 16:35:55
    Nat Turner
    +1
    I can agree with that!
  • Marie Nat Turner 2012/11/20 23:06:49
    Marie
    Ther was a doll with a penis called Joey -product from All in the Family!
  • Nat Turner Marie 2012/11/22 00:03:55
    Nat Turner
    +1
    What was the purpose of this doll? I know they had anatomically correct dolls, and I guess they were supposed to teach little kids the difference between man women!
  • Marie Nat Turner 2012/11/27 19:25:48
    Marie
    No real purpose! and the Joey doll did not sell!
  • Garland Bennett 2012/11/14 16:28:12
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    Garland Bennett
    +3
    A doll should be joy and happiness and bliss for the child to play with. Not sick and premature, which makes them depressed and upset at an early age. I'm feeling a bit upset at seeing this doll as it it.
    I know it's to teach coping skills with premature and sickly babies and I can understand where that comes from, but at the same time, it's hurtful to those who have children that're of that condition and they feel as though this is insulting them. Which of course I can see why they would feel that way.
  • jfvalentine 2012/11/14 16:19:41
    Yes, it's sick and inappropriate
    jfvalentine
    +2
    It is not the kind of doll you buy a child for a gift. Sorry but I feel dolls should be about happiness and love. Not the sick and dying. Common now common sense to the doll makers. I don't see where this makes a parent of a premature dead child able to cope with their loss. Or parents of sick newborn cope with it better. I mean really what planet are you living on???
  • Marie jfvalen... 2012/11/14 18:43:19
    Marie
    Right answer!!!!!
  • Lalani ... jfvalen... 2013/04/05 01:42:04
    Lalani Carter
    +3
    This kind of doll is not intended for children. It is intended for adult collectors and adults who just want a baby to love. Most women don't just stop nurturing after their children are all grown up, and most want something upon which they can continue to love. It's no different from a well loved teddy bear that holds sentimental meaning, or anything you connect to or with. Furthermore, artists since the beginning of time have recreated in their own artistic fashion the greatest creation on earth (us). It is an imitation of life. And life isn't always pretty. Is it any less impressive than having a porcelain doll modeled after a healthy child? Everyone calls that art and impressive. And here you have something equally impressive that has a realism that mimics life and it has to be sick and dying? It really gets me how everyone goes straight to negative connotations in regards to reborns- yet everything else designed by artists through history has the exact sentiment in regards to life and it's imitation of it. Try looking into reborns and finding out what they're really about, and appreciate it for the ART that it is, and give kind words the the artist who created it. No matter how you or anyone else feels about it, these dolls are works of art. And how they're cherished is based on what meaning or sentimentality given to it by it's owner.
  • addie 2012/11/14 16:05:04
    No, I don't see the big deal
    addie
    +1
    I don't see the issue. If it makes grieving harder, don't buy one.
    I wonder if they can be used with mothers that take drugs or drink during pregnancy or fathers who abuse pregnant women.
  • Marie addie 2012/11/14 18:44:21
    Marie
    +1
    Doubt if they would be the least interested in this doll!
  • addie Marie 2012/11/14 20:56:23
    addie
    +1
    It would be great if they could be used to teach people like that, but you are right, of course, they would not be interested.
  • Tattoo Nana 2012/11/14 08:23:04
    No, I don't see the big deal
    Tattoo Nana
    +4
    First, I want to explain my No answer - it is closer to my opinion than yes, and there was no other choices! I feel qualified to give an opinion on this because I have 4 kids, the youngest two were very premature twins.

My older girls had a million and one questions about their brothers. When we were finally able to take them to see them, they had to look thru a window at them. My girls were mortified - their little brothers were hooked up to many of the same tubes and wires this doll has. I would have LOVED to have had a doll like this, I could have better prepared my girls for what their brothers were going to look like and that just because they had wires and tubes, they would be ok. It would have been so nice to show them a feeding tube and explain how that is how they ate.

I, personally would have used this doll as an education tool, and also to show the girls how they could still hold their little brothers once they came home. In a normal setting, I can see how this baby-doll may not be so appropriate, in my case it would have been an awesome toy/tool. p.s. the twins are about to turn 23 and have overcome all the premature problems!! We are all very grateful. :)
  • addie Tattoo ... 2012/11/14 21:01:06
    addie
    +1
    That sounds like a great use for these dolls and congratulations on your healthy kids!

2014/09/17 11:44:54