Is this a cool idea for a retirement village?

CAD Man 2012/09/19 13:07:21
Looking for a little input here on an idea for a new kind of retirement community. Being a part-time musician and full-time lover of live music, I've been rolling this idea around in my head for the last 5 years and it's time to set it free... Why not band together with other musicians, artist, and anyone who truly loves live music and the arts to build the 'Rock Till Ya Drop' 55+ community (RTYD for short).

Here's the vision...

Build a small community (800-1000 residents) of various types of dwellings (single family homes, town homes, row homes, lofts, commune homes, and rental apartments) around an old-fashioned town square. The square would be built around a multi-purpose performance venue (concerts, plays, movies, readings, worship, etc.) where we'd bring artist in to perform. Around the square would be restaurants, shops and little studios where members of the community needing to work or simply wanting to pad their retirement savings could be employed. I don't know if you've been staying on top of the looming retirement issues that will be facing our country in the next 5 years or so but there are going to be many baby boomers who will need to work until they die, which isn't a bad thing if you have a job you truly love. With this being the case, why not have them work in a community of wonderful music-loving, open-minded people like themselves.

More importantly, the square would have smaller, live music venues (aka bars/clubs) on each of the four corners where lesser known local and regional artists could perform... possibly having jam bands made up of local folks from the 'neighborhood' open for the newer and younger up and coming bands. While not self-sustaining, this community could employ residents needing to work, giving them the opportunity to have a fun, respectable 'retirement' that would not be possible at most retirement communities today.

This community would be formed as a non-profit cooperative as we will need to screen new members. One out of every five members would need to be a verifyable musician, singer, sound or light tech in order to facilate live music and jams from the residents (yes, auditions to see if they really can play just enough to jam with others). When you think of it in terms of a golfing retirement community, it would be pretty pointless to build a retirement complex for golfers if very few members actually played golf. We plan to have several 'garages' built throughout the community where people could get together to jam or just hang out... a 'different' type of bridge club so to speak.

My wife and I are middle-aged groupies who follow the band Little Feat. As we travel to see Feat shows and other concerts and shows in the Chicago area, we've noticed that these shows, festivals, and concerts are largely attended by baby boomers who still love live music and probably always will. In the last year I've actually taken to running the RTYD concept past total strangers at these shows only to have my gut feeling about this idea strongly reinforced by their enthusiastic responses of “I'm in” or “Sign me up”.

Boomers grew up with the most incredible music that was ever recorded; much from bands that are still touring – some out of necessity, others out of passion, some from a combination of both. And then there are the fans and other musicians who played yet never aspired to the greatness of our rock n roll heroes, that have a similar passion burning within... especially the women who 'loved the boys in the band' back in the day and still do today (hmmm... sound like anyone you know?).

Looking for people to weigh in on the idea...

• MissFinyx 2012/09/19 16:00:24
    Hell yes... sign me up
    MissFinyx
    Anyone seen that movie "Awakenings" with Robin Williams and Robert De Niro? If not then I'll just say I personally believe the same idea could apply. These elderly people were in a state of catatonia for various reasons and when you played music they liked they moved. I think it could help prolong life.
  • CAD Man MissFinyx 2012/09/19 20:48:42
    CAD Man
    If you can send me your email address... I'll keep you posted on the concept's status. Please send to gmyroup@digitalfreehand.com
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/09/19 15:30:40
    Crazy idea... must be smoking too much wacky tobacky
    Bingo's Faddah
    Too late. Been did.

the villages florida
  • CAD Man Bingo's... 2012/09/19 15:58:25
    CAD Man
    +1
    Don't think we're comparing apples to apples. The Villages is a large retirement community... with no theme other than lots of gold courses. Thinking the people hanging out there aren't the type of folks who might be comfortable with hanging with ex-hippies who grew up, did well, and now want to return to their 'younder' days.
  • Bingo's... CAD Man 2012/09/19 20:05:15 (edited)
    Bingo's Faddah
    Nope, still apples. It's a huge community divided into "villages" with different themes. Yeah; it's a big golf thing and folks get around in carts they use as status symbols. Plenty of folks from the cool part of the 60s there living the same basic lifestyle. The idea of the place is that you don't have to go anywhere else to have good last years. It's a slice of the American old fart world but not for everyone!

Hell, I'd probably rather hang out with you and yours.
  • CAD Man Bingo's... 2012/09/19 20:18:46
    CAD Man
    I think I need to take a trip down there... or at least Google earth it. Do you know anyone that lives there? Thanks
  • Bingo's... CAD Man 2012/09/19 20:22:11
    Bingo's Faddah
    Yeah, folks I knew decades ago. I Don't know if Google (R) took pics there yet but I've seen shots my friends have emailed me. Expensive. But one helluva idea that caught on.

Investigate everything; settle for nothing.
  • JohnT 2012/09/19 14:38:32
    Good idea... just not for me
    JohnT
    I am sure you have heard of Branson Missouri that is a place for the older folks. It had country and western singers that many of the Seniors like. I am a senior and that would not interest me. I like your thought on a community. but it should just be a area of performance like Branson where people can come and see different past artists. There is little doubt to me that the greatest music is from the 50's through the 60's and even some of the pop stuff from 70s' and 80's was not bad. Once the nineties hit nothing but hip hop rap crap. Good luck with the idea, I don't think a community will work but a location oldies but goodies might.
  • Cricket 2012/09/19 14:30:07
    Hell yes... sign me up
    Cricket
    growing produce and having an open market would be a good source of income, for those still able to. Size wise: 20+ acres?
  • CAD Man Cricket 2012/09/19 16:01:43
    CAD Man
    +1
    Thinking 200+ acres... the idea is to literally build a small town. Maybe the theme song could be 'We built this city FOR rock n roll'
  • Cricket CAD Man 2012/09/19 20:34:30
    Cricket
    Rock on! I hope to see you there!!
  • CAD Man Cricket 2012/09/19 20:49:08
    CAD Man
  • sickofpolitics 2012/09/19 14:23:32
    Too young to retire but yeah... good idea
    sickofpolitics
    Maybe for our generation, but the already 55'rs would probably not be cool with this. Yah never know. Good luck with your dreams....... hopefully one day they will come tru :)
  • Tamara McMillan 2012/09/19 14:18:03
    Good idea... just not for me
    Tamara McMillan
    +1
    I think if it is for all the arts as well as music minded boomers and retirement age groups it might have a better chance. If you have a community of true craftsmen (Crafters) it will be all the more self substaining. A Musician might be married to a cabinet maker and this community would suit both their likes. I am a young baby boomer and I know for a fact I can run circles around and work better than most 20 yrs younger than I am BUT if the retired will be employeed there as well (IF they wish to work) it will need to be an easier laid back pace and place all around. Might be really nice. You would have to protect yourself against injury lawsuits and be overly aware of the special needs of aging medicated people. (Not meaning to be ugly . . . just factual)
  • CAD Man Tamara ... 2012/09/19 20:55:45
    CAD Man
    +1
    Just curious as to why it's not for you... inquiring minds want to know :-)
  • Tamara ... CAD Man 2012/09/20 04:20:24
    Tamara McMillan
    Other than liking a large yard with a couple of acres and my privacy no real reason. . . I was sort of even talking myself into the idea that it would be a nice place to be. Hubby and I had already thought of a small community housing development too but it was more about Smart Homes and country living. Ofcourse we never had the backing to do any of it. We envisioned a crafts and shopping area in the center of the homes for residents and friends only. A gated community with at the very least half acre lots. It was a nice dream.
  • CAD Man Tamara ... 2012/09/20 10:27:03
    CAD Man
    +1
    Thanks... great ideas start as someone's dream
  • Tamara ... CAD Man 2012/09/20 13:15:37
    Tamara McMillan
    True!

2014/09/18 03:47:17