Is There More Pressure on Women to Have Good Hygiene?

We recently told you about a female graduate student who went 18 months without shaving her armpit hair -- and boy, did you have something to say about it! One SodaHead wrote: "It just looks ugly, and I remember the last time it was discussed during the hippie era. Doesn't matter with friends, but for dating it's a total turnoff."

Some of your comments got us thinking: Is there more pressure on women to have good hygiene than there is on men? And where does that pressure come from? Emer O'Toole of Dublin, the woman who stopped shaving her armpit and leg hair, said guys are totally fine with her fuzzy pits, but women are pretty grossed out by them.

Plenty of guys stop shaving the moment they finish the work week, and it's considered perfectly acceptable. Whereas if a woman has a little peach fuzz on her legs or under her arms ... pandemonium! Women are expected to look primped and smell sweet on a daily basis, but some guys don't even wash their jeans -- ever! What do you think? Is there more pressure on women than men to have good hygiene?

• 00P 2012/05/10 19:08:09
    00P
    +20
    Hell yeah! Look at the news yesterday....Hilliary Clinton photo came out...it made the news because she was not wearing makeup and her hair was not done.....could you imagine if they did this to a man?!!!! So not fair!!! Everything a woman does is based on her looks and that is not right!!!! Yet the ugliest men in the world if they have money they are studs!!! Give us women a break this is BS and men know it!

• *K'eim*... Couri 2012/05/11 03:26:14
    *K'eim*h3reg' *Peh2u *Meg'
    Yeah, but long armpit hair does not equal bad hygiene. Besides, this is sodahead. Probably not a representative portion of the data. ;)
  • Couri *K'eim*... 2012/05/11 17:53:32
    Couri
    To some it does, but I see your point :)
  • Cyan9 *K'eim*... 2012/05/11 09:04:54
    Cyan9
    There are more women on this planet than men though .
  • biizkit 2012/05/11 01:37:39
    biizkit
    everyday i watch tv theyre advertising women hygiene products like women are dirty or something, but then they show commercials of men sweating and doing yard work like its ok to be dirty. there is a lot more pressure on women than there is men
  • wtxwoman 2012/05/11 01:30:42
    wtxwoman
    I am fortunate to not have underarm hair, but I wouldn't shave if I did. Shaving doesn't have a thing to do with hygiene, that's grooming. I don't know how the shaved genitalia area got started, but it seems a little perverted to me. I wouldn't want a man who wanted me to look like a little girl 'down there'.
  • Andalard 2012/05/11 01:26:27
    Andalard
    By the public yes but it's their own damn fault for seeking things like "perfect beauty". Just like romance novels and movies gives guys more pressure to be the romantic one.
  • MC-CierraMist 2012/05/11 01:25:37
    MC-CierraMist
    i hate it.
  • SODAHEADSHEAD 2012/05/11 01:24:33
    SODAHEADSHEAD
    uhhh...no. its a part of life. no need for pressure when the ladies should already be at their best in hygiene including men. unfortunately not all women are up to par in hygiene. i have met a few so i am not just saying this to be mean. the hair thing isn't as bad as the bad breath! yuck!
  • +Harmonious Love+ 2012/05/11 01:18:26
  • janet 2012/05/11 01:14:19
    janet
    +3
    Even women with money have to keep up their looks while men rich or poor tend to not really care about such things.
    However, there are those metrosexual men who like to look and smell good : )
  • Lady Katze 2012/05/11 01:06:47 (edited)
  • TasselLady 2012/05/11 01:04:18
    TasselLady
    +5
    Yes. Everytime you turn around there's a !#$!@#$# tampon commercial and other commercials advertising feminine hygiene products. You would think none of us have had a shower in ten years. It gets really stupid. As it happens that's the way I was raised, to have good hygiene. But it's advertised way too much.
  • Katfish 2012/05/11 01:02:55
    Katfish
    +1
    Yes but I dont consider body hair a part of hygeine, its more an act of grooming.
  • vinone 2012/05/11 00:44:39
    vinone
    +2
    I think it's pretty even between men and woman.
  • Aquaduck 2012/05/11 00:41:22
  • Wolf 2012/05/11 00:10:42
    Wolf
    +4
    Women should never smell like dead fish, and yes I've seen and smelled women feet from where i am because they don't take care of themselves. At least take a shower it shows that you were brought up as a human and not an animal
  • TasselLady Wolf 2012/05/11 20:22:05 (edited)
    TasselLady
    I got to agree with that one. Not to sound gross, but especially during that time of the month. When I was in highschool there were some girls who really needed some lessons in cleaning up. My mother was a special Education Coordinator, and she had to pull some female students aside and talk to them about their "problem". Sometime it's the only way it get solved. They don't smell it themselves, but everybody else sure can!!!! But then, there were instances where some kids came from homes that had no running water. In that case, the school allowed those students to use the showers in school in the morning before they started classes. There are some exceptions to the general rule.
  • Elisa ✦ Knockout™ 2012/05/11 00:07:59
    Elisa ✦ Knockout™
    +3
    Extremely
  • KaraLin 2012/05/11 00:06:26
    KaraLin
    +4
    the unfair thing about this is that women are judged on looks while men are judged in money they have. over time the looks will eventually fade away while money goes up
  • BattleBunnys 2012/05/10 23:59:41
    BattleBunnys
    +6
    When I go to school, I suppose there is a certain feeling of "I have to look good" but I do not participate in this. I go to school to learn, not to pretend that I'm going to clubs. I brush my hair and teeth, put on decent clothes, and bathe. I don't do the whole makeup every single day, flat iron my hair, yadda yadda. If people don't like how I look than that's too bad for them.
  • Rhi-ot. BattleB... 2012/05/11 00:12:24
    Rhi-ot.
    +5
    same here! If I straightened my hair and did my make up every morning I'd probably be waking up at like 5:00 am to make it to the bus on time... I can't believe it's the norm for many girls =\
  • BattleB... Rhi-ot. 2012/05/11 00:53:15
    BattleBunnys
    +9
    Girls at my school wear COCKTAIL DRESSES! It's like, hello, this isn't Temptation (local teen club). I don't get it. Personally, I don't feel the need to please anyone with my appearance. I put makeup on sometimes during dates, generally I leave it for parties and that's about it.
  • Any BattleB... 2012/05/11 03:05:27
    Any
    cocktail dresses?! That's bizarre!!
    Girls at my high school would straighten their hair and put on full makeup... and then wear sweat pants. Odd combination but I just participated in the sweat pants part :D
  • BattleB... Any 2012/05/11 19:39:24
    BattleBunnys
    lol, i wish i took a picture of a beaut' i saw today... It was a pink flow-y dress, halter, low back and the front was a lot shorter than the back
  • TasselLady BattleB... 2012/05/11 20:23:41
    TasselLady
    +1
    Good for you, because some girls in school have no clue about how much makeup to wear.
    teen with too much makeup
  • BattleB... TasselLady 2012/05/11 20:55:13
    BattleBunnys
    +1
    the picture had me laughing, xD
  • TasselLady BattleB... 2012/05/12 12:17:06
    TasselLady
    When I was in the eighth grade, there was a girl in school who was fair skinned like me. She wore makeup dark on her face, and her neck was white. It looked awful. If she had matched her skin tone it would have looked ok.
  • BattleB... TasselLady 2012/05/13 13:52:14
    BattleBunnys
    egh, i do like makeup just... not all the time D:
  • RoyJLores TasselLady 2012/05/13 23:03:07
    RoyJLores
    +1
    Holy she looks like the wicked witch of the west! :D
  • TasselLady RoyJLores 2012/05/14 20:47:34
    TasselLady
    Believe it or ont, some women out there do just this and they think they're beautiful.
  • Jayfeather 2012/05/10 23:46:31
    Jayfeather
    +4
    Examine closely how women are pressured to do pointless things like going through cosmetic surgery, shaving, and wearing make up. There is no physiological purpose for these practices, but many women feel the HAVE to shave. Ever since women achieved social freedom in the 1920s, the mass media has set all kinds of impossibly high standards. Because of decades of conditioning, many women now feel they MUST adhere to these standards. From the same conditioning, many men feel its unacceptable to like women who don't meet these standards. it's an absolute abomination. If you ask me, we need more women like Emer O'Toole. Women like her have the willpower to question the things many take for granted. Because in truth, all kinds of practices make no logical sense whatsoever. It's just that society has taught us not to question the things we are spoon fed from birth.
  • Calm down! 2012/05/10 23:41:57 (edited)
    Calm down!
    +3
    Guy's really don't like stinky girls. I was talking to this cute girl the other day that had breath that could knock over a cow! I offered her a peice of gum very politely, but I should of offered her a huge bottle of scope and offer to pay for a teeth cleaning. But I have to say that men are discusting in every way! I don't know how many times I have been in a public restroom and 99% of all guy's walk out without washing their hands! I would be a lesbian for sure if I was a girl!
    +1
    ever been to a bar?? most bartenders are girls. people tend to buy from them easier when alcohol is involved
  • RoyJLores 2012/05/10 23:25:08
    RoyJLores
    +2
    People regardless of gender are indeed grossed out at the sight of hairy armpits on a woman it's like is genetically encoded or something.
  • MrFabulous47 2012/05/10 23:19:20
    MrFabulous47
    +3
    I don't know that I would call it a higher standard of good hygiene, I think most Americans realized they should be regularly bathing, washing their hair, brushing their teeth and using deodorant. Other than homeless folks, most people I encounter don't reek. That being said, women are held to a MUCH higher standard in terms of LOOKING good, being fashionable and being fit. It's gotta suck.
  • TasselLady MrFabul... 2012/05/12 12:18:28
    TasselLady
    Trust me, it does suck. I'm at the point of my life though where I don't care what anybody else thinks. I do the best I can. If they don't like it, too bad!!
  • Resp 2012/05/10 23:17:08
    Resp
    +1
    No. I don't think women have bad hygiene.
  • meho 2012/05/10 23:10:45
    meho
    +2
    I dont think they should have but yes I do.
  • Joey 2012/05/10 23:00:48
    Joey
    +3
    If you are slop as a male people will call you out one it . The only exception is if a male is doing a labor intensive job he can slip by with looking bad... But normally no way., if it wasn't pressure on males you would not see all those Axe Ads .

2014/10/23 00:17:01