Is there a difference between fair and just?

Joe Finsternis 2010/09/24 09:35:23
Related Topics: SodaHead

I was just remembering a time when someone here on SodaHead said that no matter how much good you do, you'll go to hell for not believing in God. "It may not be fair, but it is just."
And I was just wondering...what's the goddamn difference?

• Joe Finsternis 2010/09/24 11:26:25
    Joe Finsternis
    +5
    Copied and pasted from dictionary.com:

Fair - free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice: a fair decision; a fair judge.

Just - guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness: We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.

So just means guided by fairness...just a slight difference in there.

• Lynn Foster 2012/11/06 15:17:16
    Lynn Foster
    +2
    There is a huge difference...We are born sinners everyone of us Romans 3:23. Therefore we cannot stand before a Holy God. So God in His love for us, Sent His Son Jesus, who lived a perfect life even though He was tempted to sin in every way we are, Yet He did not. Hebrews 4:15 because of His perfectness He was able to sacrifice Himself in our place to make atonement for our sins. and now we can have perfect union with God, (not from our good deeds), but Jesus sacrifice for us. John 3:16
    Reading the bible explains everything, it is God's love letter to us.
  • Joe Fin... Algor. ... 2010/09/24 19:02:35
  • seathanaich 2010/09/24 17:22:57
    seathanaich
    +3
    In the example you have given, that is certainly not just. If I punished my children everyday for a cookie they stole 5 years ago, that would be unfair and unjust.

Religious claims about eternal torture for non-belief are the same - unfair and unjust. This is a good clue to the fact that they come not from gods, but from human priests and princes who sought to control other people.

For someone to claim that torture is "just" reward for non-obedience to their god is typical of the misuse of words that occurs all the time in a religious context. Muslims talk about "honour killings", yet there is no honour involved. Creationists say evolution is "only a theory", completely ignorant of the fact that a "theory" in science is an exlanation of reality which has been tested and passed. There is a lot of dishonest misuse of words by the religious, so baffle-gab like "it's not fair, but it's just" is typical of things said about religion that don't actually make sense.

Fortunately, the Christian hell doesn't exist any more than the Muslim, or Greek, or Norse versions of hell exist. It's ridiculous to think that any cosmic god would reward and punish bipedal primates on one tiny planet based on which tribal religion they were born into. Cheers
  • Joe Fin... seathan... 2010/09/24 18:28:15
  • Lynn Fo... seathan... 2012/11/06 15:32:49
    Lynn Foster
    +1
    I hope you are right about Hell not existing, because if you aren't, you will be there forever! It is easier to believe there is a God who created all this! than to believe all this came from nothing. Just us believing something does not make it true, we all have different beliefs in things. So there has to be one truth. The bible has proved his authenticity over and over and all the prophecy that has come true from it is incredible. Therefore how can you not believe that if the bible says there is a hell, there could be. Read and let God explain to you.
  • sinnersaint 2010/09/24 16:29:54
    sinnersaint
    +2
    according to Plato nothing
  • Jump Back Jack ~ The Minstr... 2010/09/24 15:21:14
    Jump Back Jack ~ The Minstrel of *þᾞमेॐऊ
    +4
    "Justice" is an imposed idea. It's developed and distorted by man to suit his own momentary fancies. War is a product of "justice." Fairness however, is an innate concept. It's that which our nature leads us to abide by.
  • Nimara 2010/09/24 15:02:08
    Nimara
    +1
    Yes, this is a great question. I mean, God made us and he gave us free will. How can he expect people to follow him, especially when he gave them free will? It's unfortunate, but not even all people who do believe in him go to Heaven.

Like you said, "It may not be fair, but it is just". According to who? God? It makes you wonder.
    Who is to say though? I don't know what the difference is. It's mysterious.
  • PatrickEvans 2010/09/24 14:15:50
    PatrickEvans
    +2
    A man kills your child so you kill his child= fair.
    A man kills your child so you kill him= just.
  • Joe Fin... Patrick... 2010/09/24 14:16:46
    Joe Finsternis
    +5
    I find this to be a strange perception, but okay.
  • Ding A ... Joe Fin... 2010/09/24 14:42:09
    Ding A Ling B Dead
    +3
    it's semantics...
  • Patrick... Ding A ... 2010/09/25 20:25:47
    PatrickEvans
    +2
    i don't get it.
  • Ding A ... Patrick... 2010/09/25 20:26:59
    Ding A Ling B Dead
    +1
    word meaning... scroll down Philo Publius' comment explains it not only humorously, but really well!
  • Gun665 2010/09/24 13:57:41
  • Joe Fin... Gun665 2010/09/24 14:15:17
    Joe Finsternis
    +2
    I'm not trying to say that believing in God is stupid; I simply don't see the difference between fair and just. It's not about belief; if you have faith in the Lord, who am I to judge?
  • Gun665 Joe Fin... 2010/09/24 14:17:19
  • Joe Fin... Gun665 2010/09/24 14:20:41
    Joe Finsternis
    +2
    Very true. I've heard someone say that all Atheists are retards before, and I've heard another person say that Christianity is retarded. Some people are just naturally judgmental, but I try to bring myself above that.
    Lovely gif, by the way x)
  • Gun665 Joe Fin... 2010/09/24 14:21:22
  • Joe Finsternis 2010/09/24 11:26:25
    Joe Finsternis
    +5
    Copied and pasted from dictionary.com:

+1
    "I was just remembering a time when someone here on SodaHead said that no matter how much good you do, you'll go to hell for not believing in God. "It may not be fair, but it is just."
    And I was just wondering...what's the goddamn difference?"

AND YOU WONDER WHY I'M PAGAN?

That's the one thing I always disliked about the monotheistic religions... that I'm going to some "hell" just because I won't kiss some bully-boy "deitys" BUTT. Tell 'im to put on his "big girl" panties and DEAL WITH IT.

I want my FREEDOM.
  • Lynn Fo... Lady Wh... 2012/11/13 14:47:29
    Lynn Foster
    Youv'e got it right! You can be the most moral person alive (not perfect, but moral) and you will still go to hell if you do not believe in God. And the reason you will go to hell is because heaven is where God is and you don't want to be with God, so he gives you what you choose, hell with the devil. You need Jesus and His sacrificial sacrifice for your sins and if you do not believe this you will not go to heaven...John 8:24 Jesus said "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." Like I said before the bible has proved it's authenticity over and over with all its prophecies that have and are coming true. And the bible tells us that 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness. Also you will have your freedom in hell. The bible describes hell as dark, the light (Jesus) will be gone, and dark without light is blackness and therefore you will not be able to see anything, just hear groans.
  • Philo-Publius 2010/09/24 10:00:34
  • TheJoker Philo-P... 2010/09/24 10:13:14
    TheJoker
    +5
    I wish I could give you more than 1 rave for this answer :)
  • Philo-P... TheJoker 2010/09/24 10:14:31
    Philo-Publius
    +6
    Haha... 'preciate it, man. : )
  • Joe Fin... Philo-P... 2010/09/24 10:19:59
    Joe Finsternis
    +6
    Damn, you either left the same comment twice on my repeated question or SodaHead cloned your comment too. Either way, you get a super rave!

damn comment repeated sodahead cloned comment super rave
  • Philo-P... Joe Fin... 2010/09/24 10:24:26
    Philo-Publius
    +6
    Thanks, man. The system actually appeared to have taken your question down right after I answered it, and then I see it back in my shareds. I didn't know if it was you or SodaHead who took it down, but when I saw it up the second time, I clicked my browser backward (praise Firefox!) and cut and re-pasted it, cause I thought it was worth trying again. : )
  • Ding A ... Philo-P... 2010/09/24 14:45:06
    Ding A Ling B Dead
    +5
    You are on a roll lately!
  • Jump Ba... Philo-P... 2010/09/24 15:22:12
    +5
    Profanity is keeping you from taking top comment again.
  • Philo-P... Jump Ba... 2010/09/24 16:12:05
    Philo-Publius
    +4
    I know, man, that sucks. I type the way I think/talk. It's a shame.

2014/07/26 05:09:39