Is the Marines a good choice?

kim 2012/06/27 03:58:46
im a 16 year old girl, i've been thinking of joining the marines. Most of my friends say i won't make it, and that its really tough. honest opinions? thanks :)

• bman~AVA~BTTB 2012/06/27 05:52:13
    yes
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +7
    Miss Kim I'm a retired Air Force man myself so maybe my opinion won't amount to anything. With that being said I'll tell it to you like this, if you think you want to join the Marines then don't let anyone talk you out of it. If this is really what you want to do then you go for it. The Marines will be a tough gig. I've got quite a few prior Marine buddies and from what they told me you're gonna be pushed to your breaking point in boot camp. You have to be tough mentally as well as physically. It's a very demanding branch of the military but if you succeed then you will be a much better and tougher person for it. And I for one wish you all the luck for your success should you decide to do this.

• tom 2012/11/30 00:45:17
    yes
    tom
    If thats what you want to do do it ,it will not be easy ,I served ARMY 11 years and proud that I did . good luck in whatever you do just stay true to yourself
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/11/29 16:58:38
    yes
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    If you want to try it.
  • Kookieless The Sexy Nihilis... 2012/11/29 02:37:49
  • King of Gummy Bears 2012/11/29 01:49:25
    no
    King of Gummy Bears
    +2
    its physically demanding, if you are not working out a lot now, they will push you through but you can have alot of marching and running
  • GoDucks5 2012/11/29 01:43:34
    yes
    GoDucks5
    +3
    I'm going to join either the Marines or the Army when I'm 18. You should use proper grammar before you think about joining the Marines though. Not trying to be rude either.
  • kevracer 2012/11/29 01:41:43
    no
    kevracer
    +2
    Women have a tough way to go in the military which is basically a male-dominated sub-society
  • JOHN C 2012/11/29 01:35:55
    yes
    JOHN C
    +2
    i think you have your whole world in front of you young lady and if you dont mind some advice........when you look in the mirror....you see yourself now.....now snap your fingers...your 48....it does go by that fast........and my advice to you is try everything......dont have regrets....and i wish you the best.......ps.....dont ever say what if......no regrets hun...ok?
  • Maddo 2012/11/29 01:35:20
    yes
    Maddo
    +2
    I really think that Marines is good and im really proud of you making that descion
  • Shifting Piece 2012/11/29 01:30:25
    yes
    Shifting Piece
    +2
    If that's what you want to do with your life, go for it
  • ruthannhausman 2012/07/16 20:01:04
    yes
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    I don't know your personal history or anything like that, but I say if you want to give it a shot then go for it. Yes, being a Marine isn't easy. But then none of the military services are very easy in their basic training. Whatever service you do enter, however, know that you will be making a good decision. And there is no shame if you don't make the cut.
  • seathanaich 2012/07/06 22:16:29
    yes
    seathanaich
    +3
    Hi Kim. I'm a Canadian (reserve) infantry officer. Your USMC is pretty much the same type of thing I have been involved with for 20 years.

You will need to be in good shape, and mentally and physically tougher than most of the girls you know. Basic military training seems hard at the time, but afterwards you'll look back and realise it wasn't so tough, just new and different.

I assume you have some sort of youth cadet programme in the US. I recommend you join that now, to get a taste of the military. Once you are old enough, join your local military reserve if possible while you are finishing high school. All of this will help you a bit - but remember that youth cadets is NOT the real military, and also that a Reserve position is different (not better or worse, just different) than a full-time military job.

No matter what you do, exercise hard and work hard if you pursue a military career. Get good school grades because this will open up as many trades for you as possible.
  • RED DAWN 2012/07/05 16:28:20
    yes
    RED DAWN
    +3
    The marine corp is a great choice.All branches of the military are good but the marines are the greatist fighting force in the world.If the marines are your choice remember basic is very hard.They will push you to your limit and farther if you let them.Always remember what they are teaching you to do is stay alive.
  • dick 2012/07/05 15:04:31
    yes
    dick
    +3
    I was Army combat engineers and we were proud of what we did but the Marines have a long history of being one of the finest fighting units in the world and there is a reason that they are sent to the fight first, you can't go wrong if you want to be with the best!
  • Ron in Oregon 2012/07/04 20:15:06
    yes
    Ron in Oregon
    +3
    As a Vietnam veteran and a member of the USAF, I would never have made it through the U S Marine basic training.
    You will get all my respect if you try.
    I will not disrespect you if you try and fail.
    DROP and give me 50.
  • Constitution Believer 2012/07/04 00:58:29
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/01 01:04:20
  • kfallslady 2012/06/27 18:38:25
    yes
    kfallslady
    +2
    Just give it some thought. I personally think the Air Force is best for a woman, more brains than brawn's, no I'm not saying Marines are dumb. I was in the Air Gaurds I enjoyed it and I was also in the Army as a truck driver, it just depend on what you want.
  • ThinkAboutIt! 2012/06/27 15:28:54
    yes
    ThinkAboutIt!
    +2
    Take your time. Check out all branches of service and all their options. Asking for input from others is a wise move. Visit the local VA hospital if you can & visit with the wounded. Once you've made your decision.....GO FOR IT!
  • jule-sy 2012/06/27 14:29:16
    yes
    jule-sy
    +2
    I don't personally know the differences but any military branch is a good choice.
  • Dan 2012/06/27 12:23:56
    yes
    Dan
    +1
    These branches of the military have to be tough, but if you really want to do it go for it, remember the guys who are serving in the Marines now were once whare you are, wondering if they should join.
  • Sunset moon 2012/06/27 07:13:44
    yes
    Sunset moon
    +3
    At least try it, that way you can't say "What if" when you are 50 or 60 years old. :) Blessed Be and good luck!
  • bman~AV... Sunset ... 2012/06/27 07:20:50
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +2
    Exactly! Good comment
  • Sunset ... bman~AV... 2012/06/27 07:32:17
    Sunset moon
    +2
    Thank you :)
  • bman~AV... Sunset ... 2012/06/27 07:40:42
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +2
    Any time nice lady. My pleasure
  • atomikmom 2012/06/27 06:27:30
    yes
    atomikmom
    +6
    Don't let anyone discourage you!!! my 15 year old Granddaughter when she graduates in 2 years from High School, will be joining the US Navy as an officer. I am a retired US Navy Nurse, and Veteran from the Vietnam War. I say Full Speed Ahead!! and Smooth Sailing, young lady, and good luck.
  • Sunset ... atomikmom 2012/06/27 07:14:19
    Sunset moon
    +3
    Thank you for your service!!
  • sky blue pink - American 2012/06/27 06:13:21
    yes
    sky blue pink - American
    +3
    Any branch of the Military is a good choice. But you have to make sure this is what you absolutely want. You have a couple years to decide.
    Have a nice day !
  • atomikmom sky blu... 2012/06/27 06:28:56
    atomikmom
    +3
    That's a big 10-4
  • sky blu... atomikmom 2012/06/27 07:13:29
    sky blue pink - American
    +2
    Thank you.
    Have a nice day !
  • Devonly 2012/06/27 06:03:30
    yes
    Devonly
    +2
    It isn't for everyone and I wouldn't recommend enlisting. If you can go to college first you would have a better career in the military.
  • bman~AVA~BTTB 2012/06/27 05:52:13
    yes
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +7
  • atomikmom bman~AV... 2012/06/27 06:30:22
    atomikmom
    +5
    From a Navy Vet, from Vietnam, i agree with ya.
  • bman~AV... atomikmom 2012/06/27 06:37:08
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +1
    Many thanks miss Atomicmom. For agreeing and also for your service too!
  • Sunset ... bman~AV... 2012/06/27 07:15:26
    Sunset moon
    +3
    Thank you for your service!!
  • bman~AV... Sunset ... 2012/06/27 07:19:24
    bman~AVA~BTTB
    +2
    It was an honor to serve miss Sunset moon. Appreciate it.
  • Chukroast 2012/06/27 05:45:43
    yes
    Chukroast
    +5
    If you can take it. Get in shape BEFORE you go to boot camp.
  • Feria~Badass of PHAET~ 2012/06/27 05:00:24
    yes
    Feria~Badass of PHAET~
    +5
    If that is for sure what you want, go for it.

One of my friends is a Marine. She wasn't taken seriously by any of them at first. She's only five foot even, but she proved them all wrong. you can do it, you just have to want it, and want it bad!
  • sockpuppet 2012/06/27 04:22:37
    no
    sockpuppet
    +3
    I say "no" because I don't want to encourage you to go into something like this for the wrong reasons. The Marine Corps IS a tough club to join, and they certainly deserve every bit of respect and admiration they receive. And then, some.

However... when you're deciding on a career in the military, BE SURE to get acquainted with every branch. Think carefully about which MOS (job) you'll be wanting to train for, and how your choices will affect your career opportunities when you return to civilian life.

Think about what your prospects for advancement will be, should you choose to stay for 20 years or more. Consider whether you want to be among the ranks of the enlisted or if you want to pursue a career as an officer.

There are SO many other things to consider, as well-- and every branch of the service has good and bad points. It would just be a shame to choose something that you didn't like and miss out on a potentially great career in a branch that you'd enjoy more.

Best of luck with this, whichever path you take.
  • Constit... sockpuppet 2012/07/04 01:07:26
  • lorenab. 2012/06/27 04:01:19
    yes
    lorenab.
    +5
    if thats what you really want to do you should at least give it a chance. dont quit just because your friends say you wont make it... to me, people telling me that i can do something makes me want to do it even more.

2014/10/21 13:42:28