Is the internet responsible for more school shootings?

Angie 2009/03/12 18:25:31
Yes, the internet is partly responsible for more school shootings.
There have been an increase in the number of school shootings in this decade, but it's because...
I don't think there has been more school shootings.
In the age of the internet, you can talk to multiple people around the world without leaving your home. Internet junkies have online friends -- people they met through the internet from forums, games, etc. -- in addition to their real-life friends. The really hardcore guys have more of the former than the latter. While the internet does make communication easier, it's not an effective substitute for real life interaction. "Anti-social" kids who don't fit in well at school now have less motivation to do so when they can go home and retreat to the comfortable world of the internet. I think it would be interesting to explore whether there are now more school shootings because the internet has helped breed more "nerds" who grow tired of the bullying and finally snap.

Some people point at other culprits like violent video games or a decrease in the quality of parenting.

• Diane 2009/03/12 18:37:16
    There have been an increase in the number of school shootings in this decade,...
    Diane
    +3
    Some kids think they can do what they want and get away with it I have never seen a generation of children as these. Some have no respect for their parents or their teachers, it's all about me and what you can do for me. I was not raised like that so it is very hard for me to understand, some of the parents pay to get them out of everything they do, one day they won't be able too. They get a speeding ticket Mom call a Lawyer he'll get me off, that is one thing I think is wrong, how can internet and games make a child kill someone, they are just mean kids, that can do that. I was raised watching John Wayne, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and it all dealt with guns and I never thought of shooting anyone, guess it was the way I was raised. (RESPECT) (COMPASSION)

• Protector 2009/03/23 15:16:20
    Protector
    +1
    It's just sad to see this happening.. no respect for life whatsoever. On the other hand, i think it may be partially responsible for these psyco's following through on these horrible shootings, but everybody has their own mind.. its whether they use it or not before they go take revenge on the group of kids who make them feel like shit or whatever reason they are doing it for.
  • Danny 2009/03/21 03:19:55
    Danny
    +2
    Parents who don't keep a tight leash on their kids are the problem with everything. I gave my kid a .22 rifle for his 12th Christmas. I keep it locked in my safe and we go target shooting together. He does not have access to it. The same way I grew up. I did not have access to my guns when I was a kid,. my dad opened the safe during hunting season and we took them out together. I have had a gun since i was 12 years old and have never shot anyone. Why does everyone have to blame the gun? When has a gun ever done anything to anyone? It's when you put it in the hands of a stupid person that you have a problem.
  • new mex... Danny 2009/04/04 18:05:53
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    I agree 100%. It starts with the parents teaching responsibility and respect.Sounds like you have the right idea, educating your children on gun safety, and proper gun storage.I have taken my nieces/ nephews target shooting and hunting as well and like you have owned weapons since a very young age.I commend you for being an asset to all responsibile gun owners nation wide!Thanks for your post!
  • Cfossedal 2009/03/18 07:28:35
    Cfossedal
    +1
    The fact that it's reported more intensely is evidence to the contrary.
  • Audiman 2009/03/17 21:15:51
    Audiman
    +2
    PEople dont pay attention. Parents teachers other kids. Time and time again the kid or kids are loners picked upon by everyone else. I have four kids and if one them was capable of going into a school guns blazing I would know. Teachers princables you know who the kids in your school who have issues fitting in or is heavily picked upon If paid more attention to those kids then maybe kids wouldnt feel like thats the only way to stop the bullshit.
  • Made4U2Wonder 2009/03/16 21:32:40
    Made4U2Wonder
    +1
    ...People are so desensitised that taking a life means nothing. It's a combo of parents not drilling morals and setting the standard at home. Too much "they going to see it out in the world anyway" attitudes. And schools not attributing character as a good thing. And the media putting anything on tv and glorifing murder and death.(excuse my spelling please)
  • Sodahead's Boring. 2009/03/15 20:58:29
    Sodahead's Boring.
    +1
    of many different causes. Not everything (actually, hardly anything) has one cause.
  • Zorkon 2009/03/15 14:01:19
    Zorkon
    +2
    ...teachers are not allowed to discipline unruly kids; therefore more of them are unruly, and public schools are consequently unsafe to visit, attend, or work at.
  • anonymous 2009/03/15 06:46:39
    anonymous
    +1
    ...of a change in culture. Certainly the Internet is some part of it, but it's far more than just that -- or just violence in media, or any of the common scapegoats. There's much more to it than a simple answer.
  • Red Ruffansore 2009/03/15 04:43:39 (edited)
    Red Ruffansore
    +2
    No, killing both large and small have pretty much run through history since recorded times. Raising more retards is the reason for more shootings. To have so little regard for human life and to be so self absorbed, well it's almost like you have been watching reality tv or MTV too much. The world, it's all about you isn't it puddin. Get a job and quit the sniveling, the rest of us are tired of dragging you malcontents along.

I thought Germany was a socialist nirvana, what could young Shicklegruber be so bent about? Not enough bratwurst and Ale in the monthly allotment? Lifes tough and it's going to get tougher, weak and stupid won't make the cut.
  • ray 2009/03/14 21:43:29
    ray
    +2
    it's pretty much the same if you look throughout history. There's just more coverage now a days on spree killings.
  • Bill 2009/03/14 17:24:54
    Bill
    +2
    The internet, guns & media coverage don't kill people. Other
    people kill people. Most of us see and hear the same things that
    killers hear, we don't go out and kill someone because it was made
    known to us that somebody else did this horrible thing. I will concede
    that sick people will try to incite other sick people and this personal
    touch could influence someone who is sick in the head. The word
    "responsible" has to mean the "perpetrator" don't it?
  • new mex... Bill 2009/04/04 17:53:18
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    100% correct Bill!! The blame lies with the weak minded criminal!
  • omega2221981 2009/03/14 16:24:15
    omega2221981
    +1
    it's because of access to weapons by immature & irresponsible people. I'm sure there were Bully's and Nerds since before the invention of Wrestling and Chess & there will be after Football & the internet. The problem isn't the technology & culture that's being blamed, its the easy access to weapons by those that feel wronged. Its just another case of man's destructive capabilities surpassing his ability to reason.
  • chigger7141 2009/03/14 04:31:08
    chigger7141
    +1
    The parents do not talk to their kids. They just let the tv and movies give them their morals and values
  • Rowbin 2009/03/14 03:42:20
    Rowbin
    +1
    I don't know about the internet in general, but half of the shit on SodaHead is enough to make even the most sane people blow up a fucking shopping mall in frustration.
  • zapata1 2009/03/14 02:52:03
    zapata1
    +1
    kids are just annoyed with the other bullies that make fun of them! also probably because they just want to do it for fun, i guess!! I dont think that it has anything to do with the internet!! teens just do this because they want to, and they make the decision by themselves!!!!!
  • big di 2009/03/13 20:36:41
    big di
    +2
    Poor family values, too-easy access to firearms, to much gang-bulls**t in the news constantly 24-7-365, lack of discipline by parents toward kids, kids with an overinflated idea of their own importance in the world.

"Close" school campuses (restrict access and don't let kids off campus at all during the day) and check every student at the door like they do in airports, put problem kids into military school until they are 21, and put a bounty on every single teenage and pre-teenage gang member in the entire US, and end this gang crap permanently! That should help solve the problems....
  • new mex... big di 2009/04/04 17:50:37
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    Like your bounty idea, but the bounty should include all gang members and criminals. TC friend.
  • Medina 2009/03/13 19:33:30
    Medina
    +1
    Have guns a lot
  • ishqboli 2009/03/13 16:04:45
    ishqboli
    +1
    no, it´s because people think that having a gun around he house makes them and their children "safer"... guess they never consider that people need to be safe from them and their kids.
  • NorthSunFlower 2009/03/13 15:52:17
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2009/03/13 14:55:47
    Just MEH....Piwan
    +1
    Definately! You need social skills in every day life, and your not going to learn it right from being on cyberspace!
  • threat to you>:] 2009/03/13 10:59:44
    threat to you>:]
    +1
    all on tv idk though
  • Bruce K 2009/03/13 09:17:41
    Bruce K
    +2
    . . . we don't know. Putting guns in the hands of idiots might have some effect, however. That is why only 1 in 158 of bullets fired into live human flesh could be justified: The rest are accidents, acts of stupidity or crimes. (Not a number an NRA wants to discuss, incidentally. Sorta labels them as idiots from the get-go.)

Your Q is rather ludicrous. How would we test such a theory?

Personally knowing some of the folks effected by Columbine, I take offense at your willingness to just let your mouth run: There is supposed to be AT LEAST A HINT of content.
  • King Cnut 2009/03/13 05:41:57
    King Cnut
    +1
    Where's the 'NO' button? This question is idiotic, so statistics aren't going to mean anything. Blame society, blame the parents, blame Marylin Manson. Whatever. If you have a fucked up gun laws, like America, which are historical, ingrained and nigh impossible to get rid of, you will have shootings - because there are crazy fucks out there! Period. I'm glad I live in Scotland. We have crazy fucks (and plenty of them), but they don't have guns...
  • new mexico PWCM~JLA 2009/03/13 04:49:03
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Well it's not the internet that causes school shootings anymore than it causes drug abuse/use, rape, robbery, and the list goes on.The irresponsibile storage of weapons by adults is one cause. How many times do you hear that the kid took a parents weapon? Weapons need to be kept locked away from most kids, especially if the kid has mental problems, uses drugs, or has any other emotional problems, the same goes for adults.Weapons should not be kept under the mattress or in the closet, or the drawer, they should be in a safe when not in use, away from kids and thiefs.The reason I say most kids is due to the fact that I know of many who have and do hunt, and target practice along with a parent or grandparent.I myself have an 11 year old niece who loves to come out to visit and loves to shoot air guns and 22's, she has learned how to handle a weapon safely and has great respect for them and knows that they are not toys.These kids have been taught to respect thier weapons and have been taught how to safely handle them.I feel that the sole responsibility is in on the parents.Kids, not all, seem to have lost respect for just about anything that symbolizes authority.They need to be schooled in old fashion values such respect and responsibility for thier own actions.
  • The REDMAN from Bagdad. 2009/03/13 04:35:49
  • new mex... The RED... 2009/03/13 04:59:03
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    +1
    White folks? We need not bring race into this issue.If you look at the sats, its' criminals, gang punks, terrorists,and the mentally ill who are doing the killing. Mexico must have a whole lot of white folks running around for the drug cartels killing police and innocent people.
  • The RED... new mex... 2009/03/16 19:00:22
  • new mex... The RED... 2009/03/18 03:07:41
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    "Who make the guns?" Ok, ignoramus, I'll speak on your level, who use the guns? Who da ones dat commit da crimes? Who da ones who gonna keep commiting crimes no matta if da gun are gone? It's the ignat crimnal who sell drugs and rob and prey on da innocent peeps.So now I ask you to once again look at the stats.Ak's, sks,uzi, just to name a few that are not made here! But who or where they are made by doesn't make a bit of difference. It's the uneducated,lazy,drug using, drug selling,drug addicted, leeches that are preying on innocent good people from every corner of our country that are using these weapons. Don't blame the object, blame the user! So what would you suggest now, you want to ban the jets that the "white folk" build and fly just because abunch of ignorant *****!#@@s' used them as a weapon?God bless all those innocent people who were killed by these scum, and God Bless all of the innocents that are killed and preyed upon by these scum right here every day!
  • The RED... new mex... 2009/03/23 23:17:33
  • new mex... The RED... 2009/03/28 22:11:59
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    So your calling me an evil device used for hatching eggs or growing cell cultures, etc. Take another toke.
  • The RED... new mex... 2009/03/30 17:56:17
  • new mex... The RED... 2009/04/04 17:31:50
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    Who sell,the drugs? Who use the drugs? Who commit the crimes? Anything can be used as a weapon to harm or kill the innocent, so don't blame the object, blame the weak minded user. To blame the gun maker would be like saying the jet makers are responsible for the twin tower attacks, or the fertilizer makers are responsible for bombs made from ammonium nitrate.The problem is with the criminal element,those who have no other motive than to prey on others and do wrong ,and the judicial system. Our police do all they can. They arrest these scum only to have the judges release scum back to the streets to prey on the hard working honest citizens.Predators have been around since the dawn of time, the only way to eliminate the burden is to refuse to be a victim. Look at the inner city gangs who have everyone in the neighborhoods running scared.The drug using/selling scum infect these neighborhoods and recruit the young childeren into the criminal life at a young age.The police or parents can't stop the problem so young lives are lost to the scum.If we could eliminate the source ie: the drugs,the users,the criminals, we would be better off.If the honest citizens in these neighborhoods would stand against these scum and eliminate them they would live a better life. But its not just these n...'
    Who sell,the drugs? Who use the drugs? Who commit the crimes? Anything can be used as a weapon to harm or kill the innocent, so don't blame the object, blame the weak minded user. To blame the gun maker would be like saying the jet makers are responsible for the twin tower attacks, or the fertilizer makers are responsible for bombs made from ammonium nitrate.The problem is with the criminal element,those who have no other motive than to prey on others and do wrong ,and the judicial system. Our police do all they can. They arrest these scum only to have the judges release scum back to the streets to prey on the hard working honest citizens.Predators have been around since the dawn of time, the only way to eliminate the burden is to refuse to be a victim. Look at the inner city gangs who have everyone in the neighborhoods running scared.The drug using/selling scum infect these neighborhoods and recruit the young childeren into the criminal life at a young age.The police or parents can't stop the problem so young lives are lost to the scum.If we could eliminate the source ie: the drugs,the users,the criminals, we would be better off.If the honest citizens in these neighborhoods would stand against these scum and eliminate them they would live a better life. But its not just these neighborhoods, it's every where.With harsh sentences that are enforced to the fullest, and laws more infavor of self defense the criminals would become an endangered species.When will America open its eyes and realize that we no longer have a place for this type of scum and the burden they bring to all?
  • The RED... new mex... 2009/04/14 02:00:47
  • new mex... The RED... 2009/04/19 06:41:12
    new mexico PWCM~JLA
    The ignorant gang members, the cowards, the scum sucking drug users and dealers, murders, rapists, all criminals are the ones who prey on the innocent. The innocent need to stand up to the scum and extinguish them from the earth.Admit to what Jackass? This is the only Country that has guns? Guns are not the problem scum will kill with any object thay can. Take a look at history and tell me what you find. Rocks, clubs, bows arrows, spears, axes, swords, the list is endless so pull your head out and look around!
  • The RED... new mex... 2009/04/27 17:10:11
  • Asami Fuyo 2009/03/13 03:49:07
    Asami Fuyo
    +2
    People are acting like fools these days and they don't care how they live their life and then again maybe some do it just for the attention of the cameras. Who knows? One thing I do know is that it's really sad that the students who got shot won't get a chance to live out their lives to the fullest!
  • Mrs. V 2009/03/13 02:40:00
    Mrs. V
    +2
    I think some of the violent games kids play are partly responsible, absent parents, schools can no longer teach values, people are just plain messed up these days. This wouldn't have happened back in the 60's.

2014/07/24 13:11:04