Is the Decline of the Traditional Family Promoting Poverty?

Daryl 2012/07/18 16:00:00

NYTIMES.COM reports:
Motherhood outside marriage now varies by class about as much as it does by race, and changes in family structure have broadened income gaps and posed new barriers to upward mobility.

marriage

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/us/two-classes-i...

• Leprach... Red Branch 2012/07/19 21:18:03
    Leprachaun999
    No I mean moral support , acceptance, more jobs and yes more programs for training and apprenticeships.
  • Red Branch Leprach... 2012/07/20 02:13:50
    Red Branch
    The US has been shipping jobs out of country since the 1960s. Maybe earlier.
    Jobs are needed for training to take place, same as with apprenticeships.

Acceptance of what?
    Moral support for what?
  • Leprach... Red Branch 2012/07/20 09:01:26
    Leprachaun999
    There is still a stigma for the single parent. What needs to happen is acceptance that what used to be the norm is no more. Flexible work hours would be a good start.
  • Dasher 2012/07/19 14:56:25
    Dasher
    +3
    I think a family with both parents is best. Fathers and Mothers complement each other, and each provides different benefits to the children.
  • George Zook 2012/07/19 14:55:22
    George Zook
    +3
    yes i think so ... multi generational families provide wisdom a solid base and support for members as they find their paths in life
  • waterlady 2012/07/19 14:50:43
    waterlady
    +1
    It takes 2 income to provide for a family or even for one child. Teens have no business having babies. At Logan High in Union City, CA they has 2 pages in the year book of pictures of babies born to students on campus and a huge facility to care for them.
  • carri b... waterlady 2012/07/19 15:22:02
    carri byers
    +1
    How sad!
  • marylou5 waterlady 2012/07/19 15:50:11 (edited)
    marylou5
    +2
    Agree mostly :-) I don't believe it "takes" two incomes to provide for a family! (There are ALWAYS exceptions! Please don't tell me about welfare/food stamp recipients etc etc )

I think many people "want things" instead of focusing on the family and what they "need"!!.

They feel they are entitled to what "everyone else" has! What their parents worked 20 years to attain, they expect to acquire the day they get married! They make the choice to go in debt for "things" and must continue two incomes to support that choice! They have $10,000 and $20 thousand dollar weddings for self gratification for ONE day instead of paying off their student loans or putting a down payment on a home!!

Choice, but who made them so selfish that they refuse to plan ahead for when there are children and one income?
    Common sense has flown out the window! It's the "all about me generation" making poor choices that require two incomes!!

It's the bigger better house with two bathrooms and private bedrooms for each child, and a guest room that gets used twice a year, the fancy car, the 50" TV, the boat, the Disney vacations, and the "electronics" that they consider "must haves".

Sorry, but it doesn't "take" two incomes. Those who choose to be home with their children, and there are millons of them, make choices and sacrifices to focus on family rather than "material things". It is done every day, successfully by traditional families who focus on family.!!!
  • inewsmaster 2012/07/19 14:46:53
    inewsmaster
    +4
    A family is the best resource during hard times. The more the better.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2012/07/19 14:43:04
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    It goes along with being in the center of your own world.
  • overdog001 2012/07/19 14:42:31
    overdog001
    +3
    Yes, simply because the young ones are lured or pushed out of the home before they've had a chance to get financially stable. In "traditional" family settings, both male and female would live with their own parents until just before marriage.
  • carri b... overdog001 2012/07/19 15:22:31
    carri byers
    +1
    Good point!
  • josodf overdog001 2012/07/20 16:32:56
    josodf
    I don't know how the young can afford to survive on their own with today's economy. The normal jobs usually open to high school and college students are overtaken by the middle aged trying to keep their head above the water.... The traditional "Ozzie & Harriot" lifestyle is a thing past and gone for the average citizen.
  • Mrs. Kathy Arch 2012/07/19 14:41:23
    Mrs. Kathy Arch
    +3
    I think it doesn't help matters.
  • josodf 2012/07/19 14:40:42
    josodf
    +5
    I don't feel the decline of the traditional family is promoting poverty. I feel "Big Government" is spending more than "We The People" can support. Too many meaningless government agencies, too many entitlements for elected officials and too many handouts for the foreign and domestic needy. I understand the need for government assistance, but too many take advantage of the programs available and it becomes yet another senseless entitlement. The decline of the traditional family ties in with government overspending, taxing and an outlandish cost of living. My family makes as much as it did annually 10 yrs ago...but have less to show for it now than we did then. When your utilities, groceries and gas to commute cost 2 -3x's what it use to but your wage does not increase to compensate...."Huston, We have a problem".
  • JanHopkins josodf 2012/07/19 14:54:12
    JanHopkins
    Thanks for revealing the truth.
  • josodf JanHopkins 2012/07/20 16:28:08
    josodf
    +1
    Only MHO
  • brian.southworth.921 2012/07/19 14:40:18 (edited)
    brian.southworth.921
    +1
    Well let's see, traditional family. According to the founding fathers, women should not work and should stay at home. Women are property of men. Beating your wife was legal, especially if she isn't obeying her husband or not giving him relations. 13 year old girls were sold off for a dowry to 35 year old men. 16 year old boys were the head of households and getting married.

The church allows for divorce. Many of our leaders set good examples, Newt comes to mind with his 3 marriages. However money is one of the biggest reasons why divorce occurs. We are a capitalist society that puts much pressure on couples to make money. Could it be that this is a negative side effect of our fast paced American life? Actually these statistics could also be read that way. People with money have less burdens that cause strains on marriages where those with less feel the sting of poverty more and therefore have more issues that cause arguments that lead to a divorce. Notice the smaller differences at the higher income level verses the lower income level.

But, how can we have a "traditional marriage" when now a days both must work to keep up with modern expectations. How many of you could survive with a family in a one income household? Do you all really want to go back to traditional marri...

But, how can we have a "traditional marriage" when now a days both must work to keep up with modern expectations. How many of you could survive with a family in a one income household? Do you all really want to go back to traditional marriage as defined by our traditional founders and how they defined it.?

Now, I'm not saying that divorce is a good thing. Nor am I saying that a one parent home is a good thing. Nor am I saying that an untraditional family is a bad thing. What I am saying is that money problems are generally the main reason for divorce and not how traditional it is. Maybe, if our society quit putting so much pressure on materialism and keeping up with the jones's, that there would be less divorce.
  • ivegotl... brian.s... 2012/07/19 15:20:34
    ivegotloveinmypants
    When SH say the traditional family, they mean marriage, and not necessarily the abuse of wives that was legal back in the day.
  • carri b... brian.s... 2012/07/19 15:38:24
    carri byers
    Actually, studies show that marriage itself does play a role in financial and emotional stability of a family:

"The analysis used information on family and household relationships and on material hardship from the National Survey of America's Families (NSAF). Results based on tabulations and multivariate analyses showed that even among the poor, material hardships were substantially lower among married couple families with children than among other families with children, including those with at least two potential earners."
    http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/marri...

We've become a nation of the "give-ups". If our marriages become even a little bit hard or hardships hit us we just "give-up" and divorce. Marriages that stay together and weather the hard times give stability and opportunity for success to their children.

"Children born to unwed couples are, on average, more likely to experience family instability than children born to married biological parents, and they are at greater risk of poverty and adverse health, behavioral, and academic outcomes." http://www.mathematica-mpr.co...
  • JanHopkins brian.s... 2012/07/20 16:51:03
    JanHopkins
    I very much enjoyed my 13 years as a stay at home mom. True, money was extremely tight but we still found a lot of different ways to enjoy living and at least I had that time to build a strong bond with my children which is more precious to me than gold.
  • rosebud 2012/07/19 14:36:10
    rosebud
    It simply means the offspring have higher expectations for themselves and when they find they have to work at things like getting a job or figuring out clever ways to excel they simply give up and sink into poverty.
  • shogun1369 2012/07/19 14:32:01
    shogun1369
    +2
    More family requiring govt assistance promotes Poverty
  • carri b... shogun1369 2012/07/19 15:39:39
    carri byers
    You're missing the cause and effect of single parenthood on govt assistance.
  • Sydney.nightshade 2012/07/19 14:31:20
    Sydney.nightshade
    Last time I knew, single parents can make a decent living. Unfortunately this takes away from being a parent in my opinion. It is very unfortunate that most parents even when together both have to work unreasonable hours and can't actually be a parent instead of a provider.
  • carri b... Sydney.... 2012/07/19 15:41:23
    carri byers
    Both my husband and I work (and have from the beginning) and we have managed to raise 4 responsible and successful children. We are a stable, committed couple and both of us have higher education. And that is the difference...as all studies are showing.
    It removes yet another non-governmental support system. The idea is to make everyone dependent on the government. You marry the government. The government is your (sugar) daddy. The government takes care of you, from the cradle to the grave--into which it shoves you early, when you become useless!
  • Chesterpolarbear 2012/07/19 14:29:08
    Chesterpolarbear
    +1
    Because of poverty, you can't afford to start a family.
  • mario 2012/07/19 14:28:06
    mario
    +1
    This is totally inaccurate... in the Title it says Traditional family and the article synopsis mentions nuclear family, which is it? I would say that the problem is the nuclear family and that is what lead to the decline of the Traditonal family.
  • carri b... mario 2012/07/19 15:44:48
    carri byers
    Nuclear family is defined as "a term used to define a family group consisting of a pair of adults and their children". A traditional family is a mother, father and children. Unless the survey was covering states with legalized SSM, the nuclear family is synonymous with the traditional family.
  • jeri Schroeder 2012/07/19 14:27:19
    jeri Schroeder
    +1
    We are shaped to some degree by our environment. My county is plagued by generational poverty and a very high ratio of welfare to working. We also have an extremely high single parent to married ratio. In addition, we have a large segment of the population lacking in higher education, if they even made it out of high school.
  • Kenny 2012/07/19 14:23:29
    Kenny
    +2
    All I know is I work and I feel can't afford to have a family because the cost of living in NY is through the roof.not to say that's things aren't bad in other places right now too. Our government should stop sending aid to places like Pakistan and give back the tax money to Americans.
  • shogun1369 Kenny 2012/07/19 14:40:24 (edited)
    shogun1369
    Last year, the US gave 17b in foreign aid: military, food, financial combined, which I agree is alot. Same year though: 800b in welfare, 700b Medicare/ Medicaid, and 730b to banks "too big toto fail"- so where's the real problem lie?
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/07/19 14:22:51
  • Reichstolz 2012/07/19 14:18:41
    Reichstolz
    +1
    That is why the left promotes the "village". They know two parent households are not as easily corrupted by government largess.
  • s2k 2012/07/19 14:18:05
    s2k
    I'm sure it's one factor
  • K Jones s2k 2012/07/19 15:25:31
    K Jones
    I like that. ONE factor. We Americans love to look for THE ONE factor to blame for this or that, but most problems have MANY factors. I like that you pointed out that it is but one of many...
  • katchan 2012/07/19 14:17:58
    katchan
    +1
    Correlation does not equal causation. There are many more factors contributing to poverty.
  • Andy 2012/07/19 14:16:30
    Andy
    +3
    with one parent homes... so much extra help is needed to keep the family running. The traditional family leads to other problems with relationship and commitment in the future
  • Maryam 2012/07/19 14:14:02
    Maryam
    yes, sure I think its the main cause

2014/10/30 15:21:03