Is Text Messaging ruining our kids spelling?

fluer 2008/08/13 23:19:51
Maybe
I teach and last year I kept trying to figure out why my kids were misspelling so many common words. Then I started getting text messages and there were all the same missed words. Do you think texting is going to make our kids really bad spellers?

• Cass.♥M♥ 2008/08/13 23:42:46
    Cass.♥M♥
    +8
    we're not dumb just sometimes lazy...i dont use "txt tlk" i used to but it makes me look like an idiot....i barely use "lol" anymore......
    dumb lazy txt tlk idiot barely lol

• Stix 2009/06/17 05:57:49
    Stix
    +1
    I have seen kids on the honor roll every semester and wonder how they got there because it is almost immposible to read an e-mail from most of them.

Texting is going to fry the brains of these intelligent kids.
  • fluer Stix 2009/06/19 20:42:07
    fluer
    It definitely stunts their development of writing and language skills!!!
  • Kaitlyn 2009/05/13 19:45:33
    Kaitlyn
    +1
    im not a parent...but its not ruining our spelling. we just like to shorten our words. we have stuff 2 say and we dont have the time 2 spell it out. sometimes i will frget and start writing like i txt in school but its just cuz im used to it. but i always fix it.
  • Stix Kaitlyn 2009/06/17 06:01:13
    Stix
    +1
    Exactly.You foget because you are used to to text spelling. Employers frown upon all the misspelled words in one memo and won't take an excuse more that a few times before they get rid of otherwise bright employees. So texting is ruining your spelling and could cost you a good job in the future.
  • Kaitlyn Stix 2009/06/19 00:10:04 (edited)
    Kaitlyn
    well i dont wrok right now soooo oh well. and if i did a memo i would look over to see how i spell stuff. we have spell check......
  • fizzlemary 2008/08/26 18:03:32
    fizzlemary
    +1
    I think that texting isn't what ruins the spelling. It's laziness. The only text talk I use is "lol" and occasionally "omg". I have never been lazy enough to use that "grammar" in school. It's just the lazy kids that are stupid enough to put it down on paper. As you can see, I use capitalization, punctuation, and spelling perfectly fine.
  • Skunk " In God We Trust" 2008/08/16 02:54:29
    Skunk  " In God We Trust"
    +2
    I think its the dumbing down of America.Nothing against teachers.Kids nowdays dont seem to care.They have had nearly everything handed to them.Nobody wants to hurt another persons feelings.The government halls of indoctrination are doing a great job,arent they?
  • Stix Skunk ... 2009/06/17 06:09:07
    Stix
    +2
    I agree. I was just talking to a teacher, telling her that a very small percentage of teachers really care about doing their job correctly, otherwise how does a kid graduate from highschool before anyone is aware that he or she can't read or write..

It's sad that so many teachers want raises and tell us how much they deserve it, but don't care.

The teachers of course are not totally to blame because when a kid hits 10th grade and a teacher comes forward and says 'he can't read,' the teacher is told to pass the kid anyway. The parents should know their child can't read and have brought this to the schools attention while the child was in grammer school, not when he's 20 and can't function in the real world. So what is wrong, is nobody cares..
  • Skunk ... Stix 2009/06/18 01:41:31
    Skunk  " In God We Trust"
    +1
    You are right.Everyone is caught up in themselves.
  • nana 2008/08/15 15:51:20 (edited)
    Maybe
    nana
    +1
    it might be
  • Wilson 2008/08/14 23:16:07
    Wilson
    +1
    May just be ruining their spelling.
  • Pandi 2008/08/14 22:48:48 (edited)
    Pandi
    +2
    I JUST HATE IT WHEN THEY TALK LIKE THAT .ITS OK IF THEY DO IN THE PHONE (AS A TEXT)OR WATEV BUT USING IT AS SPEAKING IT I THINK ITS RIDICULOUS.IT GIVES ME GOOSE BUMPS.
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2008/08/14 20:37:12
    Maybe
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +1
    They type like that on the internet but I doubt they write like that.
  • fluer Ace~Mr.... 2008/08/14 21:40:58
    fluer
    +2
    Oh yes they do and that is the problem!!!!!!!!
  • Ace~Mr.... fluer 2008/08/15 02:15:38
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +2
    Oh, now that's sick!
  • Dirty Duck 2008/08/14 20:34:19
    Dirty Duck
    +2
    I saw a couple walking next to each other the otherday texting each other. That right there scares me. WTF is wrong with people communicating today? I've met many girls since my last relationship and they all want to TEXT all day long. I'm like lets get together and...TALK! I usually get that look "like something smells bad" and a "oh". Whatever. When I have my own little ducky's running around I'll cross that bridge. But for now? Today's youth is pretty damn lazy. It's sad but true. I bet you a good percentage of people under the age of 25 havent read a BOOK in years....think about that!
  • Stix Dirty Duck 2009/06/17 06:15:49
    Stix
    +1
    My husband and I were sitting in a restaurant and a young couple was at the next table. The guy was looking uncomfortable as this dim wit girl was on her cell phone telling a friend how her first date was going..Couldn't help but hear her as she was loud and this went on for about 10 minutes.

I felt sorry for the boy and my husband said he should ask her if her friend could drive over to the restaurant, and if so then have the friend pick her up because he wasn't paying for dinner for someone who didn't say two words to him..Oh she told her phone friend what a great time she was having...Cell phones and texting use are way out of hand .

I would have paid for the boys dinner had he dumped that rude girl on the spot..
  • jimih67 2008/08/14 20:26:46
    Maybe
    jimih67
    +3
    The fact is, kids are getting cellphones at younger and younger ages. If you can already spell, using a few shortcuts is fine (even though too many of them can be annoying as hell). The problem is, if it becomes too much of a habit, someone may forget how words are actually spelled. And unless you plan on going to work for a rich teenager and texting in your application, you might find that text shorthand is frowned upon in the real world.
  • CitizenErased 2008/08/14 18:52:37
    CitizenErased
    +3
    Yes...I've met loads of people on the internet who just CANNOT spell at all...it's pretty sad...
    I don't mind abbreviating a few words to save time (though I don't really do it) but when I read it I read it how it is...and it sounds dreadful.

And don't get me STARTED on people actually saying "lol" in person...they should be shot!
  • rushforpres 2008/08/14 17:57:12
    rushforpres
    +2
    Kids with parents who don't teach or discipline will encounter many hurdles in life, as well as avoid some. You can't tell them NO MORE TEXTING, so like it always has been in the past no matter what the obstacle may be, the teacher has the responsibility to get through to the children the consequences they may face in their near future. You as a teacher hold the key to a well tuned society. Through a teacher that children can respect and follow, comes the ability to guide them to become more leaders. Leaders come from education; it’s the uneducated who are forced to follow.

Texting has pros and cons, and for me to say either way is for uncertainty. I don't think the answer to the question is yes or no. But I'm not saying it can't be one or the other. To me "OBSTICAL" is the best way for me to describe it. You know the reason for the classes down turn on spelling. Now it’s up to you fix it. If not for everyone everywhere, at least your class, and your professional responsibility. It's good to know that there are still teachers who care for our children’s future.
  • Stix rushfor... 2009/06/17 06:22:39
    Stix
    +2
    When a school in my area wanted to put in a blocker so kids couldn't sit and text instead of paying attention parents were having a fit. The blocker would not effect 911 calls, but the parents whined that their kid might have an emergency and need to call home..They didn't get it that the kid could call 911, or didn't want to. The school is now debating whether they can put in the blocker..

That is ridiculous and the parents are whacked .When little Johnny gets fired from his first job for texting during working hours I suppose mommy and daddy will file a law suit against the employer for firing their little angel..
  • rushfor... Stix 2009/06/19 19:55:51 (edited)
    rushforpres
    +1
    That will be the life lesson the school failed to teach by way of ignorant parents...because remember...parents all ways have the final say in their own children. It is disappointing to me to when parents fail to see from all perspectives; leaving them with a void of an enlightened mind on the subject at hand to put forth the level of competence necessary to help prepare their children for the "real world".
  • fluer rushfor... 2009/06/19 20:27:55
    fluer
    +1
    Good point and it amazes me that parents get all up in arms at us who teach when we refuse to allow them to use their phones in school. We actually caught kids in the 5th grade taking screenshots of tests and sending them to other kids to get answers!!! But it is hard to mark them wrong then have parents say but you can tell they knew the answers it is text!!!
  • rushfor... fluer 2009/06/19 20:41:05
    rushforpres
    In extreme conditions....

A "Breeding Licence" would be nice...lol

Much of the reason why in this nations history of schools, the children had no rights. Only to be provided the ability to learn to their greatest ability.
  • fll 2008/08/14 17:12:10
    fll
    +3
    It exacerbates an already very touchy issue...amongst our young ones, no question about it....!
  • Jimmy P 2008/08/14 16:18:30
    Jimmy P
    +2
    It's laziness, not texts that are ruining my peers.
    I don't understand how stupid some people can be, it still kind of shocks me.
    I don't text like that, nor do I IM like that.
    BUT I do use lol sometimes...
    But that's about it.
    Oh, and those nifty little smiley faces. :D
  • zoemcrlover 2008/08/14 15:02:04
    zoemcrlover
    we use short words cuz we dont wanna waste time!!!
    hahah
    u adults are so 'off'
    y should we type th whole word..
    theres no point!!
    well u still understand wht we wanna say...
    its th new way or writin
    hehe
  • jimih67 zoemcrl... 2008/08/14 17:05:14
    jimih67
    +5
    Th only prob w/ tht logic is tht if u try 2 use tht kinda writin on tsts, job apps or college apps, u will find yrself spendng ur whl lif sayin "do u wan fries wit dat?"
    yrself spendng ur whl lif sayin wan fries wit dat
  • cathy~C... jimih67 2008/08/14 17:40:06
    cathy~COB "Love One Another"
    +3
    Amen, Jimi!
  • zoemcrl... jimih67 2008/08/14 19:08:20
    zoemcrlover
    im not a dump...
    i wouldnt ever spell like tht fr a uni app...
    and im already in uni.. u boob...
  • Stix zoemcrl... 2009/06/17 06:26:58
    Stix
    +1
    You are a rude little witch aren't you..I think you may lose more jobs because of your snotty little attitude and rudeness. rude witch lose jobs snotty attitude rudeness
  • zoemcrl... jimih67 2008/08/14 19:10:37
    zoemcrlover
    im not a dump...
    i wouldnt ever spell like tht fr uni apps
    and im already in uni...
  • jimih67 zoemcrl... 2008/08/14 20:22:52
    jimih67
    +1
    y should we type th whole word..
    theres no point!!

I guess if you go to college, there is a point to correct grammar and spelling. Besides, I was just having a little fun, don't take it personally.
  • zoemcrl... jimih67 2008/08/14 20:29:59
    zoemcrlover
    ok..
    anyway i'll do graphic design!!!
    i wont be a professor...
  • nana jimih67 2008/08/15 15:53:32
    nana
    +2
    that's funny!!!!! but who doesn't love french fries? funny love french fries
  • fizzlemary jimih67 2008/08/26 18:06:37
    fizzlemary
    Haha. Good one. =)
  • Kaitlyn zoemcrl... 2009/05/13 19:47:37
    Kaitlyn
    u r sooo rite!!!!
  • Stix zoemcrl... 2009/06/17 06:25:01
    Stix
    +1
    You come back and tell us that when you lose a job becuase of the way you spell. What else do you have going on in your life that you are so busy that you can't take the time to do something correctly..Laugh now, cry later..
  • IzzyJr 2008/08/14 13:53:18
    IzzyJr
    +1
    Slowly.
  • Abitadude 2008/08/14 11:23:42
    Maybe
    Abitadude
    +2
    I don't see it in my kids, but if it starts I will stop it. To be honest I never thought about it. But I can see how it might if they go all out. I know though here they confiscate cell phones if the kids are caught using them in school. In fact they have to have them turned off. Our rule with our kids is if the school takes their phone so do we. School is their ticket to a better future and if the damn cell interfers with that then it is gone.

2014/10/31 17:59:58