Is suicide wrong?

AnnieRae0311 2012/07/20 16:26:33
Related Topics: suicide
Do not blow up at me. It is only a questioned... nothing more, nothing less.

• ☯♡♡Kelsie♡♡☯ 2012/07/20 17:02:47
    ☯♡♡Kelsie♡♡☯
    +5
    It's not my place to judge anyone who has commited suicide, I've been through some dark times in my life, I know it can get rough... but you should never just quit. It devastates family and friends. It's tragic. It's awful... There are better ways to solve problems than to just give up.

• Papillon 2012/07/20 19:41:42
  • Mitri 2012/07/20 19:17:36
    I knew someone how committed suicide.
    Mitri
    +1
    I support euthanasia, but as far as suicide as for the whole subject, I'm not sure.

I've known people who have taken their life. Some didn't have any friends or family to mourn over them.
  • Gaurd The Heart 2012/07/20 19:14:03
    Gaurd The Heart
    your killing someone (You)
  • kotabear 2012/07/20 19:11:39
    kotabear
    +1
    In certain situations, I feel that suicide is a good way out. Not because of bullying- they need to talk that out, but I mean if a person is miserable beyond belief and has a life going no where, maybe they should follow their wishes and leave this world. I'm sure they have family that would miss them, but its their choice, not their family's. This also works for those terminally ill; assisted suicide should be legalized. However, I think it's wrong when that person has something going for them and all they need to do is get some therapy. You know what I mean?
  • Miss Bela Rae 2012/07/20 19:09:59
    I knew someone how committed suicide.
    Miss Bela Rae
    It depends. If you're being physically tortured and no one, not even the police, will help you, then it seems okay. But if you're just sad about something, and you know eventually things will get better, and you have people who love you or depend on you, it wouldn't be okay.
  • Tom Miss Be... 2012/07/20 19:43:31
    Tom
    +2
    If people knew that eventually things would get better they wouldn't kill themselves. When you're at the point of suicide it isn't a question of whether I want to stick this out for another year when everything will be rosy or just end it.... they don't believe it WILL get better.
  • Miss Be... Tom 2012/07/21 00:20:18
    Miss Bela Rae
    I mean, like if someone died. I understand why people would want to commit suicide, but eventually everyone moves on.
  • veda chrissann 2012/07/20 19:03:08
    veda chrissann
    yes you can go to hell
  • veda ch... veda ch... 2012/07/20 19:03:47
    veda chrissann
    only if you suicide
  • Sammi </3 2012/07/20 19:02:12
    Sammi </3
    you might be having a hard time,but if you kill yourself they will and i promise you,there WILL be people who loved you and will miss you and cry because of your lost every night.
  • lil crazy 2012/07/20 19:00:13
    I knew someone how committed suicide.
    lil crazy
    +1
    I have known more than one person to commit suicide. It is not my place to judge whether it is right or wrong and not all cultures think it is wrong.
    I would say it is okay if you are facing a terminally ill disease and are suffering.
    As for the mental issues that are usually the cause well only the person who commits the act knows if it was the right thing to do.
    I suspect that one of the people I knew was having thoughts of doing harm to others so ended up taking his own life instead. I don't know if he could have been helped psychologically or not and as I said only he can answer that. All that I can say is it is a sad thing.
  • dear•LT13☻ 2012/07/20 18:29:04
    dear•LT13☻
    depends, really... do we have a deadly disease or are we young and wanting to take the easy way out of life...?
  • Soapstone 2012/07/20 18:18:08
    I knew someone how committed suicide.
    Soapstone
    Not just someone, I've known many. A very dear friend of mine killed himself about a year ago. The suicide rate among Vietnam veterans is very high. Each time this happens, the family is devastated and sometimes they never recover. Life is the single most precious gift anyone can have. Every minute of it should be lived as tough it's your last. Not blowing up here, just expressing how I feel and I feel strongly about this.
  • Gary Devon Linger 2012/07/20 18:04:50
    I knew someone how committed suicide.
    Gary Devon Linger
    This is sort of a loaded question. While I do not feel people who are healthy and of sound minds should commit suicide I do feel that in the instance of physical prolonged suffering suicide is an acceptable option.

The thing about mental anguish and suicide is that it is selfish. While we may feel alone and that nobody cares there are many people who do care. To take our lives affects others and causes them mental anguish. We have so much to offer and things are never as bad at the time as they may seem. In fact many times when we do not commit suicide "though we feel like we should," we find life not to be so bad after all.

With so many people who would give anything to have our health and be in our situation in life it is cowardly and wrong to take our lives. We owe it to ourselves to be a light that shines for all to see. Don't cheat others out of knowing who we are. Sure some people can do things that hurt us but why give them the power by giving up? Why should other people be seen as so important that they cause us to take our lives? We are better than that.

With so many who are dying and suffer terribly painful afflictions and who have so much less than many of us it is wrong to take our lives. Lives that so many others would give anything to have.
  • Tom R 007 Gary De... 2012/07/21 12:27:11
    Tom R 007
    How is mental anguish selfish? Not being able to think clearly due to a mental illness is no more selfish than not being able to walk due to a spinal injury.
  • Gary De... Tom R 007 2012/07/24 18:54:44
    Gary Devon Linger
    Mental anguish and mental illness are not always partners. Plenty of people of sound mental and physical health commit suicide for very trivial reasons. That is selfish and that is wrong. So I would say that having a few setbacks and struggles in life is no reason to kill oneself. Especially in light of others who must endure far worse than some seem to think they are enduring. Those people want to live and fight to do so. They find joy in simple things and have lives others would find unbearable. If they can overcome their obstacles and they can find a reason to smile it is totally off base for most of the people who commit suicide to do so.

Tom, that is not to say that people of significant mental illness can not be seen as the victims they are. When someone is mentally ill and they are not diagnosed or do not get the help they need than I can see the act of suicide as a true act of desperation. However there are many fully and totally cognizant people who can see where they stand in the context of others suffering that have no business giving up on life. It is these people who I speak of when I mention mental anguish. They suffer the simple struggles of life so many others go through who do not take their lives. It these people who have so much to live for and yet do not se...

Tom, that is not to say that people of significant mental illness can not be seen as the victims they are. When someone is mentally ill and they are not diagnosed or do not get the help they need than I can see the act of suicide as a true act of desperation. However there are many fully and totally cognizant people who can see where they stand in the context of others suffering that have no business giving up on life. It is these people who I speak of when I mention mental anguish. They suffer the simple struggles of life so many others go through who do not take their lives. It these people who have so much to live for and yet do not see it or choose to be victims with no way to survive that are selfish.

People who are suicidal need to stop and look at the big picture instead of seeing the world through their own perspective.
  • Tom R 007 Gary De... 2012/07/25 09:40:26
    Tom R 007
    I won't try and argue. All I will do is simply explain WHY suicide isn't selfish by giving you a bit of an insight into the suicidal mind

Selfish Definition:
    self·ish/ˈ
    Adjective:
    (of a person, action, or motive) Lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

Reasons why one commits suicide:
    "I am a burden to OTHER people"
    "EVERYONE ELSE would be better off if I were dead"
    "OTHERS would be happy if I died"

Suicidal people very rarely think of themselves. When I was suicidal the last person on the planet I thought about was myself. I just thought of how happy and grateful everyone would be if I died. I'm not saying that that kind of thinking makes sense. But it certainly isn't selfish.
  • Gary De... Tom R 007 2012/07/26 20:16:48
    Gary Devon Linger
    Your first definition proves my point. By definition to take your life for the payoff of your own self interest you are by all accounts overlooking the interest or feelings of others which is indeed selfish. You may feel you are alone but you if you look at it openly you know that you are not. The act of suicide is done strictly for your payoff or what it is YOU want. There is no consideration of how your act will affect others even people who you may not know cares that do care about you. If a person who felt alone was to openly look at life they would realize that the act is selfish.

In the instance of a long drawn out depression than sure I can say that the person is not of their right mind to commit suicide with a selfish mindset. Still the act itself is selfish based on my explanation. I suffered depression and I sought help. I got it. People know there is help out there so there is no reason "outside of mental illness and no support network" for people to not get help before it is too late.

Also it is selfish to overlook the suffering of others worse than yourself in the belief that you are alone. You think strictly of "yourself" which is indeed selfish.
  • Tom R 007 Gary De... 2012/07/26 23:32:35
    Tom R 007
    Well you clearly didn't understand my post. I was using the definition to show the contrast between it and what a suicidal person is actually thinking. I thought this would be easy to understand, but apparently I was wrong. Maybe the only way for you to get it, would be for you to go through the mental anguish yourself, which I hope that you never do because I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
  • Gary De... Tom R 007 2012/08/02 00:31:10
    Gary Devon Linger
    Hate to tell you but I have been there and done that. That is how I came to the logical conclusion that for me to take my life would be a selfish act. Do you have any relatives or friends suffering from a debilitating condition/disease or a life threatening disease or condition? Have you lost anyone to such? Those people have a reason to give up but they instead show strength a courage. To feel that killing yourself due to common every day events we all go through is not selfish is baffling to me. I am fully aware of the feelings that come from mental anguish, I spent the better share of my life in mental anguish. I however woke up to reality and got help. There is always help available and to not seek it and kill oneself is totally selfish.

I am bipolar and I am now on medication and doing fine. Had I not gotten help I would have missed out on so many promising things. I also would have hurt the people who care about me. Would they be fine and move on? Sure they would but they would miss me and that is not fair to them. I have a life to live and I have people that love me. I owe it to myself as well as them to reach out for help when I am sad or depressed. I can not make you see my point of view and I am doubtful I will see yours. I used to be like you but I came around to see things the way I do now. Let us just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
  • JDreDaCookieMonster 2012/07/20 17:55:50
    JDreDaCookieMonster
    Not if your existence is totally f***ing someone else or other peoples lives up, and everyone would benefit from your non-existence
  • Papillon JDreDaC... 2012/07/20 19:44:01
  • JDreDaC... Papillon 2012/07/20 19:48:11
    JDreDaCookieMonster
    Thanks
  • wtxwoman 2012/07/20 17:55:13
    wtxwoman
    +2
    I think a person has the right to choose how they want to end their life. I don't think it should be allowed by unstable or mentally ill people. But, people with terminal or very painful conditions or mental deteriorating conditions, i.e., Alzheimer's, should be able to end their lives with dignity.
  • JohnT 2012/07/20 17:21:14
    JohnT
    +1
    It depends on a lot of things. If we had the right to die for those that have incurable diseases such as cancer and others and are going through extreme pain than yes they should be able to commit suicide. Quality of life is important not quantity.
    Now for those that are depressed or cannot cope No suicide is not the answer. My mother was only 29 when she shot herself to death. She never got to see her three children get raised and her grandchildren. It was based upon depression. It is a selfish act that cannot be undone, so my answer is yes and no.
  • Christmas; In Chrome 2012/07/20 17:18:44
    Christmas; In Chrome
    But that's just my own opinion. None of us asks to exist, there are a lot of downright evil things in this world, and we are basically in it against our will. If you had never known of this existance, would you choose to take part in it if given the choice? I have chosen to hold on until the bitter end, come what may, but it is fully my right to end it if I should ever choose to. I just do it to stick it to whatever force gets off on torturing innocent people, be it "satan" or whoever. It would laugh it's ass off if I could no longer hack it, so I grimly hang on. But if I should ever decide to end it, no, it wouldn't be wrong. Or if it is, it's between me and whatever I meet after the end. And if "they" thought it was so wrong, they are more than welcome to change my mind. I'm sure they could if they truly cared. So yeah. We may not want our friends and loved ones to do that, but it is not up to us to decide whether it's wrong or not. Believe what you want, but none of us knows for an absolute cold hard fact until we experience it for our selves. Not knocking religion here, I actually DO believe something is out there. I'm just saying that none of us know for an absolute fact until we experience death for ourselves.
  • The Black Dagger 2012/07/20 17:15:23
    The Black Dagger
    Let me put it this way:

Put your religion aside.

At the end it's just lights out. Your done. Nothing after that.

So all you have done is waste potential and wound friends and family.
  • shywink 2012/07/20 17:10:12
    shywink
    I personally don't believe it is, but God thinks differantly.
  • ☯♡♡Kelsie♡♡☯ 2012/07/20 17:02:47
    ☯♡♡Kelsie♡♡☯
    +5
  • Tom R 007 ☯♡♡Kels... 2012/07/21 12:01:19
    Tom R 007
    +1
    You're right it is awful. But a person who commits suicide is suffering from mental trauma and their logic is warped and they aren't in their right mind. Often a person will commit suicide because they genuinely believe that they'll be doing the world a favour. They genuinely believe that people would be happy if they died. Depression is a terrible disorder.
  • ☯♡♡Kels... Tom R 007 2012/07/23 05:46:21
    ☯♡♡Kelsie♡♡☯
    +3
    I know. I know exactly what depression feels like. And I agree, which is why I'm saying that it's not my place to judge or try to say that what they did was wrong. I'm talking more from an outward perspective of how hurtful it is. I'm not saying that they're bad people for choosing to do so, they're hurting, suffering people.
  • GoDucks5 ☯♡♡Kels... 2012/07/23 05:53:27 (edited)
  • E.Sailor 2012/07/20 17:02:08
    E.Sailor
    Too bad, extremely harmful for the soul, an unforgivable sin.
  • Alli 2012/07/20 17:01:42
    Alli
    +2
    A question like this needs more options. I don't think sucide is wrong but i don't think it's just something people should do. If you're dying and in immense pain and there is no other option then ok,but it's a question with numerous options. Something that can't be expressed without pissing someone off
  • Will Alli 2012/07/20 17:11:11
    Will
    I thought this too, as if there should be more options to such a broad question
  • cutter's falls 2012/07/20 17:01:15
  • RoyDMercer - IFOTFD 2012/07/20 17:00:50
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +1
    there is always a better option...
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/07/20 16:59:44
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    Yes it is. And very final.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/20 16:58:50
  • Lord Emperor Kami Guro Bage... 2012/07/20 16:53:49
    I knew someone how committed suicide.
    Lord Emperor Kami Guro Bagels Supreme Ruler of the Earth
    It's wrong by the way, my uncle this past Christmas killed his wife then himself

2014/08/01 04:02:17