Is strict parenting good or bad?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/07/20 14:37:47
Related Topics: Bad, Parenting
Good thing
Bad thing
undecided

• Flowers 2011/07/20 15:21:18
    Good thing
    Flowers
    +3
    but the trick is being a GOOD parent... those who are strict because they think the more mean they are, the more the child will listen to their commands in fear are wrong. they simply revolt even more as the get older, and most end up having issues well into their adult years. compassion and ACTUALLY CARING about the welfare of your child are more important then how harsh you punish them.... teach them morals at a young age, teach them right from wrong and to respect their elders and the parents and the behavior problems will be minimal.
    -- Doping kids up b/c they are ADD or ADHD without first trying to make sacrifices by changing the diet or discipline techniques is a cope out and should never be used as an alternative to being a parent

• Kezzi Morris 2012/10/20 20:52:58
    undecided
    Kezzi Morris
    Depends on how strict
  • Lacy Anne 2011/07/21 11:05:03
    undecided
    Lacy Anne
    I guess it can be either way, but it's better than being a lazy deadbeat parent.
  • knowledgeispower 2011/07/20 21:59:05
    undecided
    knowledgeispower
    you must be more specific
  • XXrawwwrXX 2011/07/20 19:54:23
    Bad thing
    XXrawwwrXX
    im not going to be super strict with my children, but i am going to make sure they are being safe. im not going to be pissed at them if they try alchol or smoking as long as they are being responsible about it and they dont try to hide it. and if they go to a party and are drinking or get drunk, i would rather them call me to come get them, than them trying to drive home or getting a ride home with someone else thats been drinking.
  • ★misfit★ 2011/07/20 17:36:39
    Bad thing
    ★misfit★
    +1
    How strict is strict? Generally, I think too strict parenting does no good. As a teen, if I could give one piece of advice to parents it would be PICK YOUR BATTLES. Don't be worrying about your kid's messy room or the fact that they dyed their hair pink when they might have a drug problem or be suicidal. It seems many parents overlook the big stuff because they don't want to face the reality of what might be wrong in their kid's lives.
  • ChristoferDrewIngle<3 2011/07/20 16:39:59
    undecided
    ChristoferDrewIngle<3
    +2
    Luv that show!!...still watch it XD

luv watch xd worlds strictes parents
  • lyle 2011/07/20 16:21:19
    Bad thing
    lyle
    +2
    you set some boundries.......but for the most ...just let them be kids
  • lucky 2011/07/20 15:46:47
    undecided
    lucky
    +1
    Depends on what you call strict, my girls said im a strict parent, but compared to some parents I was very lenient.
  • happygolucky 2011/07/20 15:24:36
    Bad thing
    happygolucky
    +1
    i think there's a difference between being strict and teaching them the difference between right and wrong... kids learn from their mistakes and they just need guidance as to what their supposed to do. OH and just a random note from a teen who gets annoyed with her parents constantly, i wish parents could see things from the kids point of view in stead of getting on their case about the stupidest things...just saying :)
  • Flowers 2011/07/20 15:21:18
    Good thing
    Flowers
    +3
  • Sadie 2011/07/20 15:18:02
    undecided
    Sadie
    +1
    I'd rather put the onus back on the kid. It worked for me anyway. If my kid did something wrong I stuck to consequences so when he'd be all down and out because I took away something I'd just put it all on him even show empathy letting him know it wasn't MY fault.

"Wow, I'm REALLY sorry you chose this time to do so and so. Especially since you knew the consequences. It must feel really horrible for you right now. What could you do next time so you don't miss the party or have something taken from you for x amount of days. You must be really upset with yourself....I'm so sorry" Hahaha. That way, he knew it wasn't mom being a "punisher" HE did it to himself. It also taught him to do right because it IS right for it's own sake...not because "I will get in trouble" but, because you have choices, there are always consequences, so it's YOUR responsibility to learn to choose wisely for YOUR own benefit.

I really never had a lot of trouble with my kid.
  • Ego Death 2011/07/20 14:48:15
    undecided
    Ego Death
    +2
    Different kids respond better to different techniques.

My parents HAD TO be very strict with me, I was unruly and obnoxious.

I'm not saying my parents didn't give me leeway to learn form my own mistakes (enough rope to hang myself) but they were quite firm.

On the other hand I've known friends and other kids growing up that thrived in a home where anything went. They were obviously a lot more mature for their age than I was.
  • FluffyCupcakespanker~PWCM~JLA 2011/07/20 14:48:09
    Bad thing
    FluffyCupcakespanker~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    It depends on the children, I married a man who was very strict with the kids and they were awefull, once I showed him that a small amount of compromise and a little more compassion works alot better. After our break up, my kids are very well behaved and his are demons.
  • Sarah TH Marshall Switcher 2011/07/20 14:47:07
    undecided
    Sarah TH Marshall Switcher
    +3
    Depends on how strict we're talking.

Authoritarian parenting can easily lead to kids rebelling later in life to "Get back at those bastards". Limiting freedom makes for resentment.

On the other hand, kids raised without boundaries lack discipline.

Kids need discipline AND freedoms- as they grow, increase both their responsibilities and their privileges.
  • troubled 2011/07/20 14:47:05
    Good thing
    troubled
    +1
    It is a good thing but I think that we have to remember that we were kids once too. Some people tend to forget that and it is not a good way to be when your a parent because it makes you less fun to be around. I am hard on my kids most of the time but I can roll around on the floor with them and laugh too.
  • Tommy 2011/07/20 14:46:20 (edited)
    Good thing
    Tommy
    +1
    Although I am a little loathed to admit it, when I witness badly behaved folk in my own peer group I tend to put it down to poor parenting and a general lack of control and desire to control. I would not think it has to be a 'Ned Flanders' way of bringing kids up but surely there must be a happy medium somewhere? :)

parenting geneal desire ned flanders bringing kids happy medium ned flanders
  • Crabby 2011/07/20 14:41:35
    Good thing
    Crabby
    +1
    Good dammit! You can't let those little hooligans get away with anything!
  • Joaquim 2011/07/20 14:41:34
    undecided
    Joaquim
    +2
    It depends on your definition of "strict."

2014/12/22 09:55:37