Is Smashing Things a Good Way To Relieve Stress? (Clients of the Anger Room Sure Think So)

Have you ever had such a bad day that you just wanted to break something? Or maybe throw a piece of furniture across the room? Well, now a Texas entrepreneur has devised a socially acceptable way for you to spew your rage.

The Anger Room is the brainchild of Donna Alexander, who first launched the business out of her garage. Friends seeking to relieve stress would come over and take baseball bats to old junk in the room. When word got out about what they were doing, strangers began to show up and demand became too much to handle. That’s when Alexander decided to turn the Anger Room into a legitimate business.

Now when clients come to the Anger Room’s new location in a Dallas strip mall, they are decked out in safety goggles and helmets to protect themselves. They then enter a room filled with old furniture and electronics, arranged to look like an office, bedroom, or kitchen. Once inside, anything is fair game. You can smash, break, throw, and destroy to your heart’s content.

If you want, you can also take out relationship stress on mannequins. Alexander told a Dallas TV station that some customers “put pictures on them, write on them, and then they try to beat the crap out of them.”

Anger Room sessions are available in three time options: “I need a Break!”—$25 for 5 minutes; “Lash Out”—$45 for 15 minutes; and “Total Demolition”—$75 for 25 minutes. The rates are pretty affordable considering you don’t have to collect the items or do any of the setup and cleanup.

So what do you think SodaHeads? Is smashing things a good way to relieve stress?

Read More: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/12/go-ahead-smash...

• Mellisa <3 2012/05/13 14:01:03
    Mellisa <3
    +4
    sure was fun last thursday in paintball when i got the chance to shoot my teacher
  • Headhunter 13 2012/05/13 14:00:52
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    But my SO loves to go to the pistol range and shot. She feels it is a stress reliever
  • Kat ♪ ~... Headhun... 2012/05/13 16:41:42
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Yes it can be very stress relieving.
  • Headhun... Kat ♪ ~... 2012/05/13 16:54:28
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Just got her a Mossberg 20GA with pistol grip for home defense and she loves blowing targets up with that

mossberg pistol grip
  • Kat ♪ ~... Headhun... 2012/05/13 16:58:03
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    You are so sweet to her, I'm looking at a 12ga Mossberg, good weapons. Nice to have a girl that likes to have nice clean fun.
  • Headhun... Kat ♪ ~... 2012/05/13 17:05:49 (edited)
    Headhunter 13
    I am looking at new 12 GA as well. been thinking about a Saiga with a 10 rounds magazine. Also want to look at the KSG if I can find one. Here are pics of both options
    Saiga 12 ga
    Kel tec KSG
  • Kat ♪ ~... Headhun... 2012/05/13 17:11:21
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +1
    Very nice, I was looking at a Saiga 410.

saiga 410
  • Headhun... Kat ♪ ~... 2012/05/13 19:21:51
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Very cool.
  • JakeJ277 Headhun... 2012/05/14 14:18:35
    JakeJ277
    +1
    Beautimus. I'm looking at this exact thing for my wife as we live out in the middle of nowhere and enjoy a good afternoon of blowing stuff up together.
  • Headhun... JakeJ277 2012/05/14 19:52:21
    Headhunter 13
    My SO is small and has small hands and she has no problems with the 20GA Mossberg Pistol grip. I recommend it. And with "OO" in it makes a pretty good home defense weapon
  • God ble... Headhun... 2012/05/18 23:28:21
    God bless American freedom
    are these legal USA?
  • Headhun... God ble... 2012/05/19 12:55:31
    Headhunter 13
    Yes. Why wouldn't they be?
  • john doe 2012/05/13 13:45:07
    john doe
    +5
    Most definitely, it's been proven for thousands and thousand of years.
  • God bless American freedom 2012/05/13 13:29:54 (edited)
    God bless American freedom
    +4
    My reasoning behind this?

Humans before today were very very active ... hunter gatherers.. farmers... mightily busy .. physically busy busy active...

Using physical strength to relieve duress/stress is natural and is how we are "hardwired" internally to survive.

Source: Human History over aeons

Proofs i have witnessed? One of my neighbors husband died and she had young children .... huge responsibilites for their very lives , and her love for them is greater than her sorrow, greater than anything...

she , as so many people do.. could have chosen to not look indepth at her life , she could have chosen to take out her anger on her babies ... but she chose instead to find logical ways around the anger.. the sorrow ... the stress.. at night she would go outside into her backyard and chop wood for the fireplace, and then she would throw the pieces of wood as far as she was able until she became exhausted.

my mother used to go out and watch her and bring her some tea when she was finis.

Her innocent babies never knew a moment of anger from her related to the death of their beloved father, her most beloved half of herself.

i admire her so much. Just thinking about it makes my eyes fill with tears.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/05/13 13:19:43
    NarcolepticGoat
    +4
    sometimes I wish I had a punching bag

blue punching bag
  • hat man 2012/05/13 13:11:15
    hat man
    +1
    A lot of psychological studies show that it just raises stress and anger.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/05/13 13:02:03
  • Miko Mikomiko 2012/05/13 12:57:53 (edited)
    Miko Mikomiko
    +6
    It's a good way to vent your frustrations
    vent frustrations
  • Little Fawn 2012/05/13 11:58:43
    Little Fawn
    +4
    Every time I'm angry I have the urge to smash something. It certainly beats crying about it.
  • God ble... Little ... 2012/05/13 20:55:36
    God bless American freedom
    +1
    I think crying prolongs the suffering eh?
  • Little ... God ble... 2012/05/13 22:09:22 (edited)
    Little Fawn
    +1
    Sure does. For me, anyway.
  • LEFT IS NOT RIGHT 2012/05/13 11:43:45 (edited)
    LEFT IS NOT RIGHT
    +1
    I'd recommend constructive activiities rather than destructive ones to relieve anger or stress. The idea of destroying anything for the sole purpose having an emotional outlet is disturbing to me.
    artist pallette
  • Tobi 2012/05/13 10:57:11 (edited)
    Tobi
    +4
    HULK SMASH!!!
    GGG
  • Zero Harte~King of Nothing~ 2012/05/13 09:49:27
    Zero Harte~King of Nothing~
    +2
    It's an amazing way to relieve stress.
    Actually, I haven't smashed something for a while
    I'm gonna have to go do that.
  • clasact 2012/05/13 09:21:45
    clasact
    +2
    it works but what is it P T Barnium said there is a sucker born every min
    +2
    Personally ..
    I prefer to finely focus my efforts into a far more .. interesting way to release pent up anger ..
    and that focus .. is NOT 'destructive' .. as much as it is distancing the cause of consternation in my life ..

(although in my younger years .. I did have a go at the destructive phase when a particular appliance wouldn't stay repaired and kept breaking down!)
  • Kyle sglmom 2012/05/13 08:14:35
    Kyle
    +2
    I'm gonna guess, a printer.
  • sglmom Kyle 2012/05/13 08:18:48
    +2
    Ah .. yes .. an early model that had a propensity to use a LOT of parts!
  • Kyle sglmom 2012/05/13 08:24:21
  • Kat ♪ ~... Kyle 2012/05/13 14:05:40 (edited)
  • Kyle 2012/05/13 07:52:56
    Kyle
    +2
    THEY TOOK MY IDEA!
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/05/13 07:47:10
    Inquisitve Kat
    +3
    Call me crazy, but I think it would have a different effect... I think it would build up your anxious energy and anger. I think a better alternative is finding a better way to channel that energy (yoga, meditation, massage, even a walk).
  • Kyle Inquisi... 2012/05/13 08:28:08
    Kyle
    +1
    That might work for you but for those of us who aren't total pussies jutting our ass up in the air and breathing real deep just doesn't cut it.
  • Inquisi... Kyle 2012/05/13 09:01:50
    Inquisitve Kat
    +3
    Yeah, it's that kind of attitude that leads to negative energy and stress in the first place.
    Some yoga, by the way, is pretty intense.
    Or Tai Chi...
  • Kyle Inquisi... 2012/05/13 16:34:42
    Kyle
    +1
    I not being negative, I'm just telling you for some people yoga just flat out won't work.
  • Inquisi... Kyle 2012/05/13 17:11:56
    Inquisitve Kat
    Oh, you're right, but there are still plenty of ways to release negative energy without smashing things. Studies do show that acting in a rage just adds to stress.
  • Surgeon... Inquisi... 2012/05/13 20:32:58
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    +2
    Studies are not always correct though, not for everyone. I always feel much better after breaking and smashing things. It's different for everyone as not everyone is the same. Also studies can be skewed to get the results people want so I've never put much weight into those regardless.

I have tried meditating and whatnot. Problem is that I think too much, esp. when I'm angry, so sitting still isn't good for me, I gotta vent. I've tried creating too, like drawing, but really that just makes me far more frustrated because everything has to be just right and if it's not, well, I get even more angry.

But, smashing things tires me out to the point where I don't feel that rage anymore. I don't really feel happy afterward, but at least I don't feel angry anymore.

Point is, what works for you may not really work for other people. Some people vent by smashing things. If you still retain anger after that then smashing things should not be your outlet. But if it makes you feel better, then there's no reason it shouldn't be your outlet. So long as you don't hurt anyone or damage anything you own or someone else owns. But useless junk would be acceptable.

I've tried a bunch of things to release negative energy... so far the only thing that works is smashing things. Can't help it, that's just how I am.
  • Inquisi... Surgeon... 2012/05/14 00:13:56
    Inquisitve Kat
    Have you tried heavy duty physical activity, like running, or cardio? I find that kind of thing helps me.
    That said, I really considered what you said and I accept, now, the possibility that it 'could' help some people.
  • Surgeon... Inquisi... 2012/05/14 00:19:04 (edited)
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    +1
    Yes, that only gives me a headache. I usually just hurt myself when I attempt something like that because I don't have anyone around to control me. Even when I do I just bark at them to piss off and leave me alone. Also I always get lightheaded when I work out, I have medical problems. Plus working out gives me time to think and I hate thinking when I'm angry. It makes me homicidal.

Yes it could help some people. People manage, vent, whatever their anger in different ways. It makes sense that it would help some people, I'm one of them I would know. And I can't be the only one due to the sheer statistical improbability of that.
  • Inquisi... Surgeon... 2012/05/14 02:25:05
    Inquisitve Kat
    Well, thank you for opening my mind a bit. :-)
    I must admit, there are exceptions to all studies.

2014/11/01 02:43:17