Is Smashing Things a Good Way To Relieve Stress? (Clients of the Anger Room Sure Think So)

Have you ever had such a bad day that you just wanted to break something? Or maybe throw a piece of furniture across the room? Well, now a Texas entrepreneur has devised a socially acceptable way for you to spew your rage.

The Anger Room is the brainchild of Donna Alexander, who first launched the business out of her garage. Friends seeking to relieve stress would come over and take baseball bats to old junk in the room. When word got out about what they were doing, strangers began to show up and demand became too much to handle. That’s when Alexander decided to turn the Anger Room into a legitimate business.

Now when clients come to the Anger Room’s new location in a Dallas strip mall, they are decked out in safety goggles and helmets to protect themselves. They then enter a room filled with old furniture and electronics, arranged to look like an office, bedroom, or kitchen. Once inside, anything is fair game. You can smash, break, throw, and destroy to your heart’s content.

If you want, you can also take out relationship stress on mannequins. Alexander told a Dallas TV station that some customers “put pictures on them, write on them, and then they try to beat the crap out of them.”

Anger Room sessions are available in three time options: “I need a Break!”—$25 for 5 minutes; “Lash Out”—$45 for 15 minutes; and “Total Demolition”—$75 for 25 minutes. The rates are pretty affordable considering you don’t have to collect the items or do any of the setup and cleanup.

So what do you think SodaHeads? Is smashing things a good way to relieve stress?

Read More: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/12/go-ahead-smash...

• Curesoon 2012/05/26 07:57:40 (edited)
    Curesoon
    It can quickly become a habit, and soon you'll find yourself smashing stuff anytime you become angry. Unfortunately, when you're angry, you don't always think clearly, and so you don't always think about what you're smashing. So you can see, it can soon becomes a very expensive habit. - Not that I'm speaking from experience. (Insert here an uncomfortable clearing of my throat.) :) Once I became so angry while working in the yard that I threw the hammer I had in my hand . . . In the end, the long walk to retrieve the hammer from the field where I threw it helped far more than the silly tantrum that caused the walk. :D
  • sherie 2012/05/18 05:59:18
    sherie
    I love this ....I personally am a door slammer. My way I guess of having the final word in an argument. Kind of like a big exclamation mark at the end of a sentence. Actually pretty childish. I suppose.....but it feels so good! :)
  • Norm sherie 2013/04/30 12:35:11
    Norm
    I have smashed things like clay vases in a pale or older bottles. I have smashed dishes to older dishes. It sort of is a kinky thing to with me at times. Especialy when a woman is involved...
  • Damilola Adesanya 2012/05/16 21:43:04
    Damilola Adesanya
    No. Smashing things to relieve stress is very bad because you will never know what you will destroy in the process. It can be something very precious to you and when you find out later when you must have calmed down, and then you start regretting.
    So the best thing to do when angry is to leave wherever you are and go somewhere quiet, calming yourself down.

DAMILOLA ADESANYA
    MASS COMMUNICATION
    CALEB UNIVERSITY
    IMOTA, LAGOS.
    NIGERIA.
  • deepthi... Damilol... 2012/06/05 04:40:43
    deepthinker
    Best answer yet!!!
  • Norm deepthi... 2013/04/30 12:36:41 (edited)
    Norm
    I guess it depends what one wants to smash up. Old cars a deserted house with old furniture in it...
  • Sweet Insanity 2012/05/16 02:40:19
    Sweet Insanity
    smashing things that are sposed to be smashed is....
  • Norm Sweet I... 2013/04/30 12:37:33
    Norm
    Dishes, old glass vases any type of clay pots.Old furniture etc.
  • wolfcall 2012/05/15 11:53:33
    wolfcall
    yes sometime it dose it has for me :)
  • Nai M. 2012/05/15 05:07:18
    Nai M.
    +1
    Love it <3 I need anger classes. Though I have been alot better since I accidentally hurt my bf
  • Norm Nai M. 2013/04/30 12:38:41
    Norm
    I love it to at times. Especialy if a woman is involved with smashing things.
  • Mr. Wonderful 2012/05/15 03:04:04
    Mr. Wonderful
    +1
    It is way more fun reading the moronic comments right wingers keep posting to SoadHead.
  • Fluffywolf, eater of chocolate 2012/05/15 00:14:23
    Fluffywolf, eater of chocolate
    So long as you keep it confined. I just channel my rage through Bulletstorm.
  • Wulfdane 2012/05/14 21:34:24 (edited)
    Wulfdane
    I don't enjoy breaking my things, I worked hard for what I have. I don't give into infantile tempertanrums.
  • Lanikai 2012/05/14 21:08:36
    I have used aggression therapy. I usually take a glass dish or ceramic planter that I no longer use and smash it with a hammer.

It does help./
  • MissNovemberTuesday 2012/05/14 20:55:47
    MissNovemberTuesday
    +1
    OMG! I love this. You have no IDEA how many times I have WISHED I had a room next to my computer where I could go and scream and smash things with a bat when I was waiting for the slow damn thing to finish loading something. The obscenities that have come out of my mouth could make a sailor blush! I would love to have a place to blow off that steam.
  • Lanikai MissNov... 2012/05/14 21:09:34
    You can take a pillow and smash the life out of it. It releases the anger the same as a baseball bat to a statue.
  • sherie Lanikai 2012/05/18 05:53:52
    sherie
    +1
    Haha....love this.
  • Lanikai sherie 2012/05/18 17:28:55
    dammit doll

We used to have Dammit Dolls. They look like these and come with a paper that says when things go wrong, just grab and smash, yelling dammit, dammit, dammit.

ANYTHING to relieve stress.
  • sherie Lanikai 2012/05/18 19:19:15
    sherie
    +1
    Hahaha...perfect
  • Norm sherie 2013/04/30 12:39:23
    Norm
    Hi Sherie yes I like this to to smash things up..
  • Norm sherie 2013/05/27 01:20:57
    Norm
    Hin Sherie
    Yes I love it to this topic..
  • Norm MissNov... 2013/05/27 01:20:25
    Norm
    I do know what you mean.I would like to have an old house to smash up near me if I could...
  • TimothyBrianFoley 2012/05/14 20:25:37
    TimothyBrianFoley
    +1
    smashing tv and stereos are cool
    see the videos
  • El Prez 2012/05/14 19:37:55
    El Prez
    +1
    Sometimes it can be good but learning that the peek of anger is not the time to be making decisions about smashing things is more valuable. If venting is a part of the lesson to learn more patience and more understanding, then it is good. If it is just to let out the "explosion" with no other thought behind it, then the "explosion" could come out against another human being, in the future.
  • deepthinker 2012/05/14 19:22:24
    deepthinker
    If you don't have the money to replace what you smash, knock it off and grow up! I know a woman who threw all her dishes across the kitchen in a fit of rage because her husband left her. Pure stupidity. She should have been on her knees giving thanks the bum was gone. She had three kids and now nothing to feed them on, and no money for replacement. I see nothing beneficial in destroying something just because a person is mad about something. There are much better ways to work off anger. My Dad used to grab the scythe and attack the weeds beside the road, or start chopping kindlilng. His recommendation for my brother and me was a hand sickle and a patch of weeds. Didn't take long to get over a tantrum, believe me!

People who are prone to such behavior should have a 'Dammit Doll'.
  • S123 deepthi... 2012/05/14 21:32:42
    S123
    What do you think about the Anger Room?
  • deepthi... S123 2012/06/05 04:37:22
    deepthinker
    Doesn't sound very compatible with anger management classes, does it? I'm, assuming that this anger room is not in everyone's home.
    If a person is still in a rage after getting to that anger room there is something seriously wrong with the person's emotional development.
  • S123 deepthi... 2012/06/06 00:48:34
    S123
    Do you think it could be positive if a person is just angry about something and doesn’t need anger management classes?
  • deepthi... S123 2012/06/11 16:32:26
    deepthinker
    Everyone gets angry about something now and then, but normal folks usually get over it in a relatively short time without smashing things or requiring classes. Smashing things is anger out of control = a person out of control. This not a healthy situation. The biggest danger I see in using a physical release for anger is that it becomes a habit too easily. If one develops the habit of striking/striking out at something when angry, what is going to be on the receiving end? Only an inanimate object or a friend? A spouse? A child? No, I think there are better options for alleviating anger.
  • Quiet-is-feared 2012/05/14 18:20:43
    Quiet-is-feared
    +1
    Yes!
    one of the best methods ever. There's something very enjoyable about causing severe damage to inanimate objects, it kind of gives you the satisfaction you've won the battle since everything has been destroyed lol.
    Always works well for me anyways, its a great stress reliever and a good way to take your anger out on something in a harmless way
    :)
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/05/14 18:16:02
    Margaret Jacobson
    for SOME PEOPLE it works...........my own mother could smash the house to the ground......and "do it again" when she got maid again.......it NEVER HELPED HER........she would open the door(front) and slam it hard about 20 times and run to the kitchen pull out drawers and let them drop to the floor, throw trash all over the place etc.....IT NEVER HELPED HER RELIVE STRESS !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Delete 2012/05/14 18:04:04
  • Anna E 2012/05/14 17:50:40
    Anna E
    I prefer things like gardening, Aikido, yoga, reading, listening to music. Constructive things. I'm not averse to target shooting, but even that is constructive in that it keeps my calculating and focus sharp.
  • Naked 2012/05/14 17:41:36
    Naked
    +1
    genius idea.
  • lady_c5_loadmaster 2012/05/14 17:35:43 (edited)
    lady_c5_loadmaster
    +1
    I find the best thing is to go bowling so i can throw my ball and knock those pins down. I pretend that they are the person I am mad at. I also found going to Roller Derby and yelling and screaming is another great way to relieve the tension and stress.
  • Daryl 2012/05/14 17:22:07
    Daryl
    Smashy smash!
  • Kigan 2012/05/14 16:02:32 (edited)
    Kigan
    It can work fantastically, though it isn't permanent. As long as the cause of the stress is still there, the stress will come back.

I personally enjoy letting it out on a punching back. The bag isn't destroyed (which means endless use), my stress gets let out, and I can get a fantastic full body cardio workout.
  • Red Falcon 2012/05/14 15:49:28
    Red Falcon
    if you are ale to you should. It's a really good way for some people.
  • Sterling 2012/05/14 15:47:49
    Sterling
    +2
    People confuse releasing and relieving stress and anger.

2014/07/24 16:59:57