Is Plastic Surgery the Answer to Bullying?

Most parents would do anything to spare their kids the pain of being bullied. But plastic surgery?

Statistics from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery show that the number of children and teens who get cosmetic surgery increased nearly 30 percent over the past decade, ABC News reports. And experts believe an increase in bullying is one reason for the trend.

Seven-year-old Samantha Shaw of Sturgis, S.D., is scheduled to undergo otoplasty, more commonly known as "pinning back" the ears, on Tuesday because she gets teased about her protruding ears.

"The kids at school always ask her about her ears, and sometimes adults can be worse," Cami Roselles, Samantha's mother, told ABC. "One lady walked up to her and said, 'Oh my God, what happened to your ears?'"

Roselles said the questions really upset her little girl.

"She always asks me why people ask questions. She's very sensitive, so it really does get to her."

The rise of social media has only made bullying worse for kids and teens. But some experts say cosmetic surgery is not the answer.

"Changing appearance is not the solution," Cheryl Rode, director of clinical operations at the San Diego Center for Children, told ABC. "We never want to hold the victim responsible for the bullying."

Rode has a point, but if plastic surgery will save a child years of being teased, maybe it's worth it?

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cosmetic-surgery-answ...

• DavidJoleenJames 2013/06/10 14:50:48
    DavidJoleenJames
    It just gives the wrong message. Kids need to learn to ne strong and accept their flaws and shake bullies off like amoebas and fleas.
  • Eccles 2012/02/28 07:54:33
    Eccles
    Good heavens what are we turning into.
  • nicole 2011/11/23 03:35:31 (edited)
    nicole
    Some kids are cruel. I think good parenting is the solution. Teach ur kids not to be rude and teach them to feel good about themselves. You can't satisfy everyone. I love plastic surgery but not for a child maybe when they get older but because they choose to not because someone said they weren't good enough.I never been bullied but I took karate and boxing to fight rapers, bullies, and lunatics.
  • Balky 2011/08/08 18:56:29
    Balky
    of course no. The answer on bullying is to fight back and kick the ass
  • Incognito4Now 2011/07/21 06:46:02
    Incognito4Now
    i am NOT too wrapped up in THIS world, and this TEMPORARY HUMAN body. I am INTO our spiritual existence more then anything, so to me making an improvement on the human body is THE SAME as fixing up a car or a house, screw the natural!! if it makes my child happy to do it, then I would of course go through with it. There is NOTHING wrong with plastic surgery if it makes a persons self confidece improve!!!! especially my child's if something was bothering him.
  • Nevershoutneverfan 2011/07/09 02:53:56
    Nevershoutneverfan
    +1
    platic surgery is not the answer i would rather be real and look how i look and be able to beat the crap out of anyone who makes fun of me than be fake and be a total prep who cant do anything for herself
  • William Weber 2011/06/25 18:02:38
  • SteveCrawford 2011/06/16 00:03:01
    SteveCrawford
    How and why would it stop bullying ? - I never bullied anyone, but i know good and well how to stand up to them. #1 - your just running from the problem - make it so they don't get a thrill out of bullying you - they'll either see the stupidity of thier way's or they'll move on to ' easier pickens '. #2 Like i said, i was never a bully but i was and to some degree still am exellant at seeing any LITTLE quirk in someones appearance, speech or mannerisim which i can exploit or make fun of and i promise you that i'm not the only one - if you eliminate an aspect of you that a bully can pick on you over, he'll just find something else to make fun of you about. And anyway " stick & stones may break my bones but names and dirty faces will never hurt me " !
  • RobertRowe 2011/06/12 06:22:55
    RobertRowe
    i knew a kid in jr. high who had the same proceudre as the picture. on the health side that particular one is good infection prevention which is why the classmate had it done.
  • DeafGary 2011/05/18 14:01:39
    DeafGary
    +1
    If someone is stupid enough to bully another kids aobut his, her appearance, just by changing whatever (big ears in the above picture, for example) isn't going to prevent that bully from finding something else to mock. The key, here, seems to be the one, who is being bullied needs to learn to ignore the mocking and stand up for himself/herself, wen threatened. More often than not the threatener will back down because he/she is actually afraid of the one, who is being bullied.
  • NekoChan 2011/05/06 04:15:27
    NekoChan

With words, of course. >.<
  • Flip-182 2011/05/05 23:47:50
    Flip-182
    You might be able to change who your are on the outside but you can never change who you are in the inside with plastic surgery
  • Sexuallobster 2011/05/05 20:49:08
    Sexuallobster
    +1
    No, that's giving in to it and making the bullies right.
  • Autumn 2011/05/05 15:36:37
    Autumn
    I ment to say no. How is this going to stop bullying. bullies pick on people for a lot of different reasons. bullies have flaws in their looks to. Bullying is usually a cry for help, a lot of times bullies are being abused at home. for some reason bullies are not taught to accept people regardless of the flaws they may have. This is what needs to change, the way people look at each other.
  • Momothepie 2011/04/29 22:19:26
    Momothepie
    +1
    You shouldn't change urself because of that just be urself and if it starts now what will it be in he future all kids getting plastic surgery everyone being fake!?how horrible is that!
  • kelsie 2011/04/25 14:51:48
    kelsie
    +1
    Ya real smart chang your self so some people will like you.... just call the cops,or knok them out.lol...but don"t change god made you that way......
  • keshan 2011/04/23 18:45:32
    keshan
    +1
    children should know the tips if they are bullied. Here are the 3 tips: 1. Walk away,2.Always tell an adult like a parent,teacher or security guard,and 3.Stand up for yourself. It's always important to stand up against a bully.
  • kelsie keshan 2011/04/25 14:54:29
    kelsie
    Ya stand up to them so they won"t think your weak..
  • vanessa 2011/04/22 17:16:21
    vanessa
    no!!!!
  • Ramon 2011/04/19 04:23:45
    Ramon
    Self defense classes are the answer to bullying...seriously though, if you change your looks people will find something else to bully you about. If you have a weak mind that can be bullied you need to change that.
  • Kathrine1 2011/04/18 17:32:11
    Kathrine1
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if someone is bullying you just punch them they leave you alone
  • LilaGrace ~ Proud Liberal 2011/04/18 14:01:16
    LilaGrace ~ Proud Liberal
    +2
    Pinning of the ears has been done for decades. I don't know why it's suddenly become a big deal now. Do I think kids should be getting nose jobs, breast implants or liposuction at a young age? No, of course not. But otoplasty is extremely common, has very little risk, and is safer and less painful if performed when a child is young, then to perform it on a teenager or adult.
  • martin28 2011/04/18 03:49:43
    martin28
    That's stupid, there is still jokes that can be made on him the best option would have been to to make joke on those who tease you.

Besides his body isn't fully developed so only G-D knows how the surgery will affect him as his face continues to grow and change with him aging.
  • LilaGra... martin28 2011/04/18 14:03:16
    LilaGrace ~ Proud Liberal
    Otoplasty has been done for decades. It carries minimal risk and is actually safer and less painful when performed on a child, as opposed to performing it on a teen or adult. Teasing a bully? Would that it were so simple. If it was, there would be no bullying.
  • dani 2011/04/16 19:41:48
  • Adrianna 2011/04/16 12:12:01
    Adrianna
    Without a doubt YES!!! If you have ears like the kid in the photo, GET THEM FIXED! Of course, that doesn't help the rest of the train wreck he calls a face, but at least his head doesn't look like a car with it's doors open.

"The Good Lord" sometimes puts Mr. Potato Head features on people and it is up to the individual to correct the mistake. Looking at an easily correctable physical deformity as some eternal cross to bear is ridiculous in today's age of corrective surgery. Fix it and move on.
  • LilaGra... Adrianna 2011/04/18 14:05:26
    LilaGrace ~ Proud Liberal
    I really wanted to 'like' your comment, but after you called the kids face a train wreck, well, that was over the line. Why would you say such a hurtful thing about a child? You're as big a bully as the kids who tease him at school. And as an adult, you should know better.
  • Adrianna LilaGra... 2011/04/18 14:30:20
    Adrianna
    It is alright if you decided not to "like" my comment. It is true that the comment was hurtful. Not stating the obvious does not make it any less so.
  • LilaGra... Adrianna 2011/04/18 20:48:58
    LilaGrace ~ Proud Liberal
    And some "truths" don't need to be said. If that was your kid, would you have said the same thing? Would you want others saying that about your kid? Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Just because YOU think it's true, doesn't mean it IS. Cruelty in the name of truth is wrong, no matter how you justify it. Sorry, I still think you're wrong.
  • Adrianna LilaGra... 2011/04/19 00:47:30
    Adrianna
    I understand completely and that is your right to think as you do.
  • shadow.... Adrianna 2011/07/01 05:40:46
    shadow.wolfe
    why would you ever say that? it's so rude. i mean would you ever go up to that kid and say that? if not, then don't say it elsewhere, and if you would, go to hell.
    No the answer to bullying is taking real action and accepting yourself for who you are.
  • martin28 Andrew 2011/04/18 03:51:31
    martin28
    Or beating the name callers until they leave you alone.
  • LilaGra... martin28 2011/04/18 20:50:13
    LilaGrace ~ Proud Liberal
    Aren't you then teaching your kid that violence is ok, as long as they have a "good" reason for it? I'm not saying plastic surgery is the answer. But I don't think violence is either.
  • nefertari 2011/04/15 15:32:42
    nefertari
    +1
    In some cases it could help...but then, we have to learn to live life with what we were given by the good Lord.
  • bashfulsleepy 2011/04/15 05:09:31
    bashfulsleepy
    Great way to tell a kid that all her self-esteem comes from other people!
  • Doopalupe 2011/04/13 01:20:07
    Doopalupe
    We should just give all the kids trophies and tell each and everyone of them just how special they are... and then swirly the S%#@ outta them!
  • Midnight mash 2011/04/12 11:16:48
    Midnight mash
    no, it's just plainout crazy if you asked me. i don't see the point of getting it's probably going to matters worst.
  • lolzforthefall 2011/04/12 08:56:38
    lolzforthefall
    People bully for so many resons. Just because you've had plastic surgery doesn't mean the bullies will stop. The plastic surgery could even go wrong, leading to even more bullying.
  • TaylorSwift Fan 2011/04/11 21:58:28
    TaylorSwift Fan
    +1
    god made you this way for a reason he loves you, it doesn't matter what other people think .... hes watching over you.... and to make you feel better the people who tease you will some day go to(children do not say this again in a rude way) hell. You can't control what other people say / do only what you say/ do

2014/11/26 23:09:07