Is Pinterest Too Girly?

SodaHead Tech 2012/07/01 18:42:43
Pinterest is now the third largest social network, after Facebook and Twitter, and has over 20 million users. According to a February survey by Visual.ly, 83% of them are women. As a result, it’s not surprising that much of the virtual pinboard’s content is female-centric.

This trend has led to the creation of a number of Pinterest copycats that are geared toward the male demographic. On these sites—which include Dudepins, Manteresting, PunchPin, Gentlemint, and Dartitup—you are more likely to find posts, or “pins,” of bacon donuts and bachelor pads than crafts and wedding dresses. But Gawker’s Adrian Chen questions the need for “these sad virtual man caves."

Dudepins

In a recent article he wrote, “Men: You can do all this on Pinterest, with the added benefit of not appearing so insecure with your masculinity that you fear just creating a profile on a social network that's largely female will cause breasts to sprout on your chest and lust for expensive thigh-high leather riding boots to fill your heart. And, anyway, you probably already are on a female-dominated social network: 62% of Facebook activity is driven by women. Get over yourselves, dudes. Maybe you'll even learn a little about closet organizing.”

Interestingly, according a recent Mashable slide show featuring some of the most-followed men on Pinterest, 10 out of the top 45 Pinterest users are men. Also, according to Visual.ly, 56% of Pinterest users in the UK are men. Maybe in time Pinterest will shed its reputation as a female-centric site.

What do you think SodaHeads? Is Pinterest too "girly"?

Pinterest

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/tech/web/manly-alter...

• 783460264 2013/01/16 02:46:29
    783460264
    Sigmanote,a combination of verticle "pinterest" and international "clipboard" 【http://sigmanote.com】

Pinterest,the pinboard-style photo sharing website that allows users to create and manage images for inspiration.Many people including males are interested in using pinboards to plan a wedding, decorate a home, and organize favorite recipes.How about users who don’t like these girly things.So we should come to the next level.Men share content differently than women and are more likely to share that which is representative of stereotypical male interests.Men care more about work, career and wisdom.

There are lots of manly pinterest-like website, such as Dudepins, Manteresting, Gentlemint.. Unlike these sites, however, Sigmanote is much more about getting things done.You discover and save content beneficial to you, and come back to saved clips for your own personal reference.

As a vertical sites, sigmanote not only cater to specific interests (like business, lifehacks, startups, Tech & Science, etc) but also insist on providing informative articles and knowledge.

Sigmanote lets you publish and share clips or notebooks both publicly and privately.Even you can invite some friends to edit a same notebook with you.Users can register via Facebook,Twitter,Sina Weibo and Tencent W...

Sigmanote lets you publish and share clips or notebooks both publicly and privately.Even you can invite some friends to edit a same notebook with you.Users can register via Facebook,Twitter,Sina Weibo and Tencent Weibo to get a new Sigmanote account or just sign up with Email.It’s simple to use –- just drag the “Σ clip” button to your bookmark bar or  install the extension. When you find something you’re interested in online, clip it to a notebook.

Sigmanote is a powerful bookmarking tool with unique technology that lets you upload, clip and organize text, web pages, photos, PDF files and other media content (i.e.videos).Sigmanote’s international language options now comprise: English, Chinese and Japanese. It’s true that there is clear overlap with features of Pinterest, Clipboard. However, Sigmanote connect English speaking nations with China and Japan two of the biggest nations of Asia . Users from different countries get to know each other’s interests , culture and most of all to find business opportunities.

Sigmanote launches Android and iphone apps at the end of 2012. Users may discover, save and share all great things, create private and shared notebooks, and enjoy offline reading. It’s definitely useful and handy to have if you have ever wanted to save something you like from the Internet. The app is entirely free of charge to download and use.
  • I am me 2012/09/05 00:27:09
    I am me
    Only because guys haven't posted their stuff. I was thinking about this yesterday actually and I thought that there are so many home improvement tricks, gadgets, sports teams and players that guys would take off with if someone just got it moving a little bit.

Any guys up for the challenge? Newest draft on the Eagles? World Series results? Best way to mix cement?
  • YOUR EARTH ANGEL'S REDEMPTION 2012/07/07 13:26:38
    YOUR EARTH ANGEL'S REDEMPTION
    THEY GOT COOL SIGHTS ON THERE..THE SCENERY'S NICE.
  • PandahSixx 2012/07/04 10:31:40 (edited)
  • clasact 2012/07/03 20:51:16
    clasact
    never heard of it
  • katy.isodo 2012/07/03 17:35:36
    katy.isodo
    I've seen quite a lot of guy related content as well as female - just depends on what you are looking for.
  • beach bum 2012/07/03 10:33:37
    beach bum
    yes
  • Nikki<3 2012/07/03 04:22:41
    Nikki<3
    I've heard of it, never been on it or anything though.
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/07/03 02:52:15
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    Yes, I really don't like that website at all....
  • Alvin 2012/07/03 01:23:53
    Alvin
    Have never been on it but I have had several people tell me I should check it out.
  • MissJo 2012/07/02 19:35:51
    MissJo
    +1
    A social networking site cannot and should not be gendered.
  • Shawna 2012/07/02 18:58:27 (edited)
    Shawna
    +1
    Pinterest is the cyber equivalent of tearing pages out of magazines. It is manly to tear things.
  • LIZ HODGES FLORES 2012/07/02 18:50:48
    LIZ HODGES FLORES
    +2
    GOD GAVE US ART TO EXPRESS OUR INNER SELVES !!!!-!!!!-!!!!-!!!!
  • rhstarr 2012/07/02 18:50:01
    rhstarr
    I have never heard of it!!
  • Jaroslav Dantes 2012/07/02 17:37:21
    Jaroslav Dantes
    nd what about Obama? It is also in pink? He has his own closet!
  • Cameryn (◠‿◠✿) 2012/07/02 15:43:58
    Cameryn (◠‿◠✿)
    They just have to find the stuff they like on it.
  • H-Dizzle 2012/07/02 15:42:34
    H-Dizzle
    Just checked it out...looked pretty girly to me. But then again if you think about it...so is facebook. Critiquing each other, checking in every twenty minutes, posting pictures; sounds pretty girly to me. :)
  • kittensforbreakfast 2012/07/02 15:08:34
    kittensforbreakfast
    I'm a girl and i'd much rather the guy one! ahah.
  • hannah 2012/07/02 14:47:09
    hannah
    +2
    only the girly parts are girly
  • Catgirl 2012/07/02 14:33:06
    Catgirl
    +1
    Don't follow girly pinners and you won't get girly things :P
    I have zombies, guns, and steampunk popping up on mine.
    Of course i have girly things too, but it just all depends on what you want to see.
  • DizziNY 2012/07/02 13:44:07
    DizziNY
    I honestly do not care.
  • tobe 2012/07/02 12:52:39
    tobe
    i don't even wear pink but i can only speak for myself
  • bluelady 2012/07/02 12:48:13
    bluelady
    what is Pinterest??? never heard of it
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/07/02 12:26:54
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    It's not too girly but it just has caught with the guys yet. The format of Pinterest just seems to be easier for us girls to get addicted to.
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/07/02 11:47:02
    Nekosarethebest
    +1
    The name is girly too! >.<
  • rustex782 2012/07/02 10:00:53
    rustex782
    and whats wrong with men wanting and having a male specific site? women want things custom catered to them all the time
  • vetogod 2012/07/02 09:21:38
    vetogod
    +1
    most of it looks pink and thats my favorite color
  • FELINE ... vetogod 2012/07/02 11:39:05
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Really ?
  • vetogod FELINE ... 2012/07/02 23:41:00
    vetogod
    +1
    really i love pink
  • Bibliop... FELINE ... 2012/07/03 02:45:36 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    Pink doesn't have to necessarily be only for women. It's only the modern trend.
    pink is for boys
  • FELINE ... Bibliop... 2012/07/03 07:20:15
    FELINE GESTURES IN THE DARK
    Oh ! I did not ask it because I disagree . I liked vetogod's liking & yours ?? , too .
    I liked it very much that you like pink . It is a nice change . Every male I know dislikes it .
  • Dzeeng 2012/07/02 09:20:35
    Dzeeng
    i love it
  • Jewellery Gal 2012/07/02 08:24:16
    Jewellery Gal
    Never used it but I heard of it. Well I do have a Pose account which is like the visual version of Twitter.
  • Vicereine Killbride 2012/07/02 07:20:08
    Vicereine Killbride
    I've never even heard of it! Ugh, Internet trend sites are just too much. Lol
  • XoXo 2012/07/02 06:24:15
    XoXo
    I love Pinterest!
  • sherie 2012/07/02 05:58:47
    sherie
    +1
    Hahaha.....hope not.my 34 year old son is addicted! ;)
  • missnamecaller 2012/07/02 05:54:57
    missnamecaller
    +1
    Women just post more *beep* than guys do.
  • JCLadybug 2012/07/02 04:48:53
    JCLadybug
    +1
    Enough so that men may not be interested in seeing most of the pins and would rather be on a site that has more pins they are interested in....
  • Mrs. Kathy Arch 2012/07/02 04:48:33
    Mrs. Kathy Arch
    And what's wrong with being girly?
  • YFN 2012/07/02 04:23:43
    YFN
    So is Instagram

2014/04/19 22:38:02