Is New Vanity Fair Cover 'Racist'?

Related Topics: Single, New York, blog, Actor
Vanity Fair was criticized last year for not featuring anyone of color on the cover of the annual Hollywood Issue. Well, here we go again.

2011's Hollywood Issue sets out to feature the "most exciting actors and actresses of the moment."

This year, the magazine decided that these actors are: Ryan Reynolds, 34; Jake Gyllenhaal, 30; James Franco, 32; Anne Hathaway, 28; Jennifer Lawrence, 20; Anthony Mackie, 31; Olivia Wilde, 26; Jesse Eisenberg, 27; Mila Kunis, 27; Robert Duvall, 80; Joseph Gordon-Levitt, 29; Andrew Garfield, 27; Rashida Jones, 34; Garrett Hedlund, 26; and Noomi Rapace, 31.

But only Reynolds, Gyllenhaal, Hathaway and Franco made it onto the actual cover. The rest, including two people of color, are included in a fold-out flap -- which has some observers pretty PO'd.

"Why, after being so publicly taken to task for white-washing their 2010 cover, would they only select a single African-American actor (Mackie) out of 14?!?" the New York Post writes.

Um, there are 15 people on the cover, but that's besides the point.

"OK, Rashida Jones' father is Quincy Jones, so we'll give VF two. Still, that's a horrible average when you have young actors of color like Zoe Saldana or Rosario Dawson owning the big screen."

What do you think? Is Vanity Fair "racist," or do the biggest stars (who sell the most magazines) just happen to be white right now?

Read More: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/vanity_fair_...

• jimih67 2011/02/01 20:53:50
    jimih67
    +34
    When a magazine has to go out of their way to make sure a black actor isn't on the fold-out flap, that is when we are getting into racism. Not being racist is about being color blind, not making special considerations for anybody based on their color or race. Maybe these magazines should go out of their way to feature a white person on the cover:

considerations based color race magazines feature white person cover jet magazine considerations based color race magazines feature white person cover ebony magazine

• Seri Park 2012/01/24 06:49:40
    Seri Park
    Vanity is absolutely racist... it's been well-documented statistically.
  • Lukavi 2011/08/26 11:20:18
    Lukavi
    Oh Christ! The pissed observers need to get over it.
  • BJet 2011/08/20 16:59:06
    BJet
    What's a problem?
  • nikki 2011/04/07 16:53:01
    nikki
    how is that racist?????
  • Peanut 2011/03/12 19:58:26
    Peanut
    No just stop thinking anything and EVERYTHING anyone says is racist
  • Caity 2011/02/21 19:05:14
    Caity
    +1
    This is pretty ridiculous. I'm all for equal opportunity and representing all races, usually. But come one, the four people who made the cover are far and away the most famous of all 15 in the fold-out. It would have been reverse-discrimination to kick one of them off and add someone else simply for the sake of "inclusion" of different races.
  • SharonThornton-Palmer 2011/02/18 19:58:54
    SharonThornton-Palmer
    +1
    Good grief, if you think it is racist, a word I am tired of hearing, then you need to get a life. Stop with the raciss crap.... It just makes more people feel racist. I can guarantee you that!
  • tasha1989 2011/02/17 17:49:27
    tasha1989
    You can hardly expect Vanity to put one person from every country / of every race on the cover of their magazine.
    I'm of mixed race and I'm not one bit offended that there aren't any black/ mixed race people on the front cover.
    As a few people have said, there are plently of magazines which cater for specific cultures, so it's unfair to say that a magazine is racist because there aren't any people belonging to 'ethnic minorities' (I hate that label) on the front cover.
  • cj 2011/02/10 00:59:29
    cj
    It just so happens that all of the movies that received awards have white actors. While the movies for black actors just doesn't receive many. Its sad really. We are all human beings that just so happen to be a different color, why is this such a BIG issue?!
  • ELSD 2011/02/09 22:47:14
    ELSD
    +1
    not unless they specifically said they would not be on the cover because of thier color. besides there are probabally no actors/actresses of color at this point in time with any excitement of their abilities
  • PM ELSD 2011/04/11 17:33:58
    PM
    Well, I'm pretty sure if VF were racist, they wouldn't go on record saying they didn't put anyone of color on their cover because of their color. Can you spell lawsuit?

Huh? There are no actors/actresses of color at this point in time? Uh, I wouldn't say that either. There are plenty, they just didn't make it on the front cover, and it takes nothing away from them either not to be on the font cover. Your accomplishments are your accomplishments as well as your acting ability.
  • Wren 2011/02/09 08:04:25
    Wren
    Unless the writers themselves make racist statements in the articles, then they aren't being racist. As far as the picture goes, there's one African on the cover. A racist would make sure there weren't any. Understand? They would go out of their way to make damn sure there wasn't an African on the cover. Oh and by the way, there is indeed a white heritage month. It happens to be called Hispanic Heritage Month; don't even try to argue with me about that one.
  • Jezebel 2011/02/08 20:39:33
  • Tonia Jezebel 2011/02/14 18:56:42
    Tonia
    Grow-up and get a freakin life!! Idiot!!!!!
  • Jezebel Tonia 2011/02/17 04:42:55
  • Tonia Jezebel 2011/02/22 19:59:07
    Tonia
    No, I'm so far from that. But I respect your opinion!!! Take care!!!
  • PM Jezebel 2011/04/11 17:38:44
    PM
    +1
    Although I can agree with the beating up a white guy for being in the wrong neighborhood statement, I don't necessarily agree with your statement on Black History Month, due to the accomplishments of African Americans that weren't recognized due to the prior history of America. Black History Month is simply a solution to rectify deeds of the past in which Black Americans weren't or couldn't be recognized for their accomplishments to this society.
  • morrisonist 2011/02/08 18:33:28
    morrisonist
    no, white people are beautiful. That is all they are saying
  • Tonia morriso... 2011/02/14 18:55:59
    Tonia
    You are an idiot,and so are black people.
  • morriso... Tonia 2011/02/14 18:56:50
    morrisonist
    are all of them idiots
  • Tonia morriso... 2011/02/15 14:59:00
    Tonia
    No i wasn't implying that black people are idiots, only that you are!!
  • morriso... Tonia 2011/02/16 15:21:35
    morrisonist
    how am I an idiot?
  • Tonia morriso... 2011/02/22 19:58:04
    Tonia
    Because you are indicating that the reason for there being more white actors on the cover is because of their beauty. I don't want to argue about a topic that really means nothing to me, but i will state that we all are entitled to our opinions no matter the race.

Have a Great Day!!
  • morriso... Tonia 2011/02/26 19:37:19
    morrisonist
    whites are white. what shame is there in this?
  • PM Tonia 2011/04/11 17:42:00
    PM
    +1
    Kinda hard to come to that conclusion (that you are implying all of them are idiots) with the last part of your statement being, "and so are black people".
  • geejudy 2011/02/08 15:50:12
    geejudy
    I think that magazine Ebony is RACIST to the nth degree--
  • John R 2011/02/08 01:43:16
    John R
    As the article says, the "Hollywood Issue" of VF is designed to cover the "hot artists" of the year. Not be a veritable rainbow of Hollywood talent. I suppose it's too bad that more African American artists were not on the cover. But the cover of the magazine is only so big. And the four artists that made it on the cover are without a doubt some of the biggest names in film the last year or so ... and 2011 looks to be another big year for them. It seems to actually make sense to highlight them on the cover. Heck ... considering the thousands of artists in Hollywood and New York involved in movies and television, I'm surprised VF didn't get a bunch of flack for only having 15 people on the cover. Seriously ... they could do a "Hands Across America"-themed photo and have the entire cover filled with ant-sized actors and actresses. But hey ... least they all would be in the picture!
  • waynelaboy 2011/02/07 03:11:04
    waynelaboy
    +2
    who cares they're all hoo--rs, ho-s and tricks
  • bob smith 2011/02/06 22:11:57
    bob smith
    +3
    No, but asking the question is.
  • Jojo Rock 2011/02/06 21:03:09
    Jojo Rock
    i think people are being just a little bit sensitive about this, I'm not saying its right! but come on! one of these days a person is going to wear a red t-shirt and someone will yell Racist! come on!
  • glen 2011/02/06 20:57:40
    glen
    1st I`m not a big fan of vanity Fair, I like to look at the style of dress, who is on the cover I could really care less. as far as racist, not, I could not care if your pink , but if your wearing a awesome outfit oh ya that is what I want to see, the latest styles of dress is what i like to see, no matter what magazine it is, so no it is not racist to me
  • baller 2011/02/06 19:23:13
  • ROSE BUDY 2011/02/06 13:08:53
    ROSE BUDY
    +1
    I didn't even think about it or notice until someone pointed it out. No I don think its racist. These are the actors that come to mind when thinking about recent movies. I think whoever's idea to point it out is racist. Do we really have to think about racist crap anymore? Stop pointing out differences! When I look @ this pic I don't think, 'theres no black person' I go 'oh yea they are in recent movies that have been nominated' Makes sense to me!
  • regdawgformerusmc 2011/02/06 11:16:05
    regdawgformerusmc
    +2
    Who cares, as a blackman I just figured that the NY (com)Post is just trying to stir up some controversy to attract readers.
  • BryanRozells 2011/02/06 08:46:22
    BryanRozells
    +1
    NO. Racism is when there are NOBODY of color on the cover. The fact there's only ONE of color on the cover suggest the guys writing the article are racist, not the mag.
  • SunnyMimiChen 2011/02/06 05:07:34
    SunnyMimiChen
    +1
    Why do people always make such a big deal about this? It's either "IT'S SO RACIST" or "WE'RE TRYING HARD NOT TO BE RACIST THAT WE'RE RACIST".
  • love_you_more 2011/02/06 02:08:44
    love_you_more
    Rosario Dawson is crap and doesn't even belong on this list.
  • Niecey 2011/02/05 18:12:21
    Niecey
    I don't think that the Vanity Fair cover is racist in any way and I couldn't care less with who's on the cover since I don't read it anyway, but to those of you who keep bashing the "African-American based" magazines: The reason why many of these magazines such as Ebony and JET exist is because they discuss issues that pertain to the interests of the black community. I wouldn't think that a white person or anyone else would be looking to read those magazines anyway since they probably wouldn't contain anything that people of other races would be interested in reading. If they want to read them then of course there's nothing wrong with that and it's not like they do any "race-bashing" in their articles either. For instance, I used to read the magazine Cosmopolitan but I stopped because I realized that most of the articles they feature usually have something to do with sex. A lot of times that isn't something that I care to read about so I just don't read it. I'm not going to say that it's inappropriate because all they seem to want to discuss is something sex-related. I just don't buy it. I'm sure there's other people out there who care to read about those topics and if not that magazine would probably no longer exist. So if you don't care to read about black people and...
    I don't think that the Vanity Fair cover is racist in any way and I couldn't care less with who's on the cover since I don't read it anyway, but to those of you who keep bashing the "African-American based" magazines: The reason why many of these magazines such as Ebony and JET exist is because they discuss issues that pertain to the interests of the black community. I wouldn't think that a white person or anyone else would be looking to read those magazines anyway since they probably wouldn't contain anything that people of other races would be interested in reading. If they want to read them then of course there's nothing wrong with that and it's not like they do any "race-bashing" in their articles either. For instance, I used to read the magazine Cosmopolitan but I stopped because I realized that most of the articles they feature usually have something to do with sex. A lot of times that isn't something that I care to read about so I just don't read it. I'm not going to say that it's inappropriate because all they seem to want to discuss is something sex-related. I just don't buy it. I'm sure there's other people out there who care to read about those topics and if not that magazine would probably no longer exist. So if you don't care to read about black people and the topics that African-Americans discuss then just don't pick those magazines up. I don't agree with homosexuality and if there were a magazine geared toward that community I'd probably just ignore it since it doesn't pertain to me.
  • Bruiser 2011/02/05 12:07:00
  • BobBerry 2011/02/05 02:40:36
    BobBerry
    I don,t think that just because their is only one person of color on the cover doesn,t mean it is racists. Stop trying to find reasons to make it racist.

2014/07/31 23:49:03