Is man born good or evil?

Magical 2013/08/03 01:44:17
Born Good
Born Evil
Other thoughts

Christians believe that man is born into original sin and they must therefore be cleared of this through baptism. “The bible teaches about man in his fallen state. We are so evil that’s why we need perfection to see God because we’ve fallen infinitely far from perfection and from God’s glory." http://fruitfulmusings.wordpress.com/2007/11/20/all-men-are-b...

Buddhism and Scientology share the belief that all people are inheritantly good. Some believe that "karma" may be an influencing factor. My guess is that Atheists would not believe that man is born either good or evil – that this is not an inheret characteristic.

What do you believe?Is man born good or born evil?

• MisterOriginal 2013/08/11 23:44:30
    Born Evil
    MisterOriginal
    If man were truly good, we would be so outraged by the decisions a few percent make, that we would put a stop to it.
  • sarah☂ 2013/08/04 13:40:19
    Other thoughts
    sarah☂
    I think we're born neither good or evil, that comes later in life.
  • wtxwoman 2013/08/04 03:47:14
    Born Good
    wtxwoman
    I believe a person is born innately good and what they are taught, the environment they are reared in and the experiences they have shape who they become.
  • Tordgaard 2013/08/03 23:44:13
    Born Good
    Tordgaard
    Born good.
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2013/08/03 22:23:38
    Other thoughts
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    I think there is some variation on the definition of original sin and the implication or consequences of original sin. In my own experience, babies are born as sponges and largely learn good and evil from the people around them. In as much as some people end up evil and others end up as saints, it is hard to say we are all born good or evil without exploring what causes some to become good and others evil. Furthermore, some people never really understand or accept their evil nature or behavior, and that is what I struggle to understand. I think what sets us apart from animals is our ability to identify and choose evil or good.
  • JMCC 2013/08/03 22:21:32
    Born Evil
    JMCC
    +1
    I should have hit "other thoughts" perhaps...

Yet I have been pondering on the word evil a lot recently, especially in the context of the problems that we face in the world today.

As I started to think about this question, then it suddenly dawned on me what babies and those we might think of as "evil" have in common...

Egocentricity or Self Centredness - a total unawareness of the needs of others...

I wonder if that is what our ancestors were trying to get at?
  • ANGEL 2013/08/03 22:12:10
    Born Good
    ANGEL
    I've seen and held many, many babies. I've never experienced one to be evil. angel baby
  • 76May 2013/08/03 16:43:39
    Other thoughts
    76May
    ACIM is my favorite belief system. From that point of view, I would say that we dreamed we are born evil or born good.
  • lyle 2013/08/03 16:37:17
    Born Good
    lyle
    but then the world goes to work on us
  • Iconoclast1919 2013/08/03 10:55:19
    Other thoughts
    Iconoclast1919
    God already knew when each soul came here to Earth who would be redeemed back into His kingdom (who was good or bad). This life doesn't make you who you are, it EXPOSES who you are to each other here and to the rest of the beings in the Heavenly Kingdom. We are witnesses of each other. This is so that on the Day of Judgment, all beings in existence will know that God is the Truth and Just when He exiles some people. Exile is hell, being allowed back into God's Kingdom is Heaven.
  • Iconocl... Iconocl... 2013/08/03 11:07:11
    Iconoclast1919
    Also, I do not believe that "Eve" eating the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was the original sin. The original sin happened when we all existed in God's Kingdom before that, during the Great Debate, when the angel Lucifer thought he could be a god like God and each of us took sides. Angels never questioned God's authority, Demons sided with Lucifer, and Humans weren't sure whether it was true or not and opted to find out for themselves, and here we are. God made Lucifer the temporary ruler of this world and we are finding out exactly how good at ruling he is. Lucifer and the demons hate humans and will do anything to wield their power over us to show us and God that they are superior.

In the end, each person is only responsible to God for their own sins, not the sins of others. Nobody else can bear your sins, so that is why you have to repent and realize that God is doing EVERYTHING. There is no other that has any power or authority that is not GIVEN TO THEM by God anywhere in existence. This is the right path and the message of the the messengers and prophets that God has sent to us since the beginning of this existence. Peace be upon you all.
  • wtxwoman Iconocl... 2013/08/04 03:49:11
    wtxwoman
    Oh, my, I am so glad I am not you.
  • Kashee 2013/08/03 07:50:01
    Born Good
    Kashee
    +2
    I believe we are all born pure.
  • xcheshirecat 2013/08/03 06:21:19
    Other thoughts
    xcheshirecat
    neutral. stupid. With learning to do
  • Alice Rodriguez~PWCM~JLA 2013/08/03 05:13:20
    Other thoughts
    Alice Rodriguez~PWCM~JLA
    We are all born with the right and wrong in us. Just some of us choose to test our limits as to what we can get away with.
  • AlysVanya 2013/08/03 04:05:21
    Born Evil
    AlysVanya
    i should have picked other...but we are born into sin...sin iz evil not the person...as we grow older we learn how to tell right from wrong
  • Lam Sai Wing 2013/08/03 03:24:47
    Other thoughts
    Lam Sai Wing
    Neither.
  • Al B Thayer 2013/08/03 02:47:23
    Born Evil
    Al B Thayer
    +1
    "Christians believe that man is born into original sin and they must therefore be cleared of this through baptism".

This is not entirely true. Might be in some circles but the truth is Jesus said twice, "you must be born again". You must believe and receive Jesus into your heart and let him make a change in you. It's due to what He did on the cross that we are "cleared" of sin.

Please don't think for a moment it is because we got baptized. Or because we made a right choice. That choice could only be made because He loved us first and called to us to believe and be saved.
    Eph 2
    8.For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
  • Marc Spurlock 2013/08/03 02:22:10
    Other thoughts
    Marc Spurlock
    +1
    A child is born selfish, and has to be trained out of it.
  • ANGEL Marc Sp... 2013/08/03 22:16:15
    ANGEL
    But that is only because as a child he is only aware of his own universe. As he grows older, he learns that there are other people, and other people have other needs etc. I don't think that because a child is selfish, that he it means he is evil. He is just innocent and doesn't know any better.
  • Marc Sp... ANGEL 2013/08/05 02:09:28 (edited)
    Marc Spurlock
    +1
    But if that child does not have good guidance, the selfishness may not abate. We must teach civility, tact and good manners to children if we plan to have a civil society. My answer was not that the child was evil or good. The child is a clean slate but with a tendency to self fulfillment. We must train the child to care for others.
  • ANGEL Marc Sp... 2013/08/05 14:05:11
    ANGEL
    +1
    Completely agree with you on all counts....again! :)
  • NicoleyWoley 2013/08/03 01:55:20
    Other thoughts
    NicoleyWoley
    +2
    I wouldn't necessarily say that we're born "evil," but rather, we are born sinful. I don't think that makes us evil, but I also don't think we're born good.
  • lonewolf 2013/08/03 01:47:23 (edited)
    Born Good
    lonewolf
    no way.

2014/12/18 22:24:32