Is Jesus God?

Alexander 2013/02/06 16:36:01

Yes, Jesus is God. (Or at least he claimed to be.)
No, Jesus is not God.

Matthew 9:2-6, Mark
2:3-12

Jesus ... said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins
be forgiven thee. And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves,
This man blasphemeth ... That ye may know that the Son of man hath power on
earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up
thy bed, and go unto thine house.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was
God.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

John 5:16-18
Therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he
had done these things on the sabbath day. But Jesus answered them, My Father
worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him,
because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his
Father, making himself equal with God.

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I
am.

John 10:30-31
I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

John 10:38-39
The Father is in me, and I in him. Therefore they sought again to take him.

John 14:9
He that hath seen me hath seen the Father.

John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.

Acts 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which
the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath
purchased with his own blood.

Colossians 1:16
For by him [Jesus] were all things created.

Colossians 2:9
For in him [Jesus] dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1 Timothy 3:16
God was made manifest in the flesh.

Titus 2:13
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God
and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:6
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God.

Hebrews 1:8
But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a
sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Revelation 1:17
Fear not; I am the first and the last.

Revelation 22:13
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Matthew 19:17, Mark 10:18
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one,
that is, God.

Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 16:19
So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven,
and sat on the right hand of God.

John 8:40
But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have
heard of God.

John 14:28
My Father is greater than I.

John 20:17
I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Acts 17:31
Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in
righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given
assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

1 Corinthians 11:3
The head of Christ is God.

1 Corinthians 15:28
And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also
himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all
in all.

Colossians 3:1
Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ
Jesus.

1 Peter 3:21-22
Jesus Christ: who is ... on the the right hand of God

Read More: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/interp/jesus_god...

• Griegg 2013/02/24 01:35:44
    Griegg
    No. If he existed at all he was a man.
  • Fanghur 2013/02/24 01:21:08
    Fanghur
    There is absolutely no good evidence that Jesus existed in the first place, much less that he was the avatar of god.
  • 2013/02/13 04:41:15
    +3
    See my debate on this topic here:
    http://www.debate.org/debates...
    I take the position that Jesus is not God, and I use the Bible to show it.
  • ZERO 2013/02/08 07:44:57 (edited)
    ZERO
    +1
    "I and my Father are one." is a familiar concept in Indian spirituality.

"Maya or Māyā (Sanskrit माया māyāa[›]), in Indian religions, has multiple meanings, usually quoted as "illusion", centered on the fact that we do not experience the environment itself but rather a projection of it, created by us. Māyā is the principal [aspect of God] that manifests, perpetuates and governs the illusion and dream of duality in the phenomenal Universe.

"Each person, each physical object, from the perspective of eternity, is like a brief, disturbed drop of water from an unbounded ocean. The goal of enlightenment is to understand this—more precisely, to experience this: to see that the distinction between the self and the Universe is a false dichotomy. The distinction between consciousness and physical matter, between mind and body, is the result of an unenlightened perspective."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki...
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2013/02/07 15:59:28
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2013/02/07 09:23:22 (edited)
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Yes Jesus is God, when he had risen he sent his holy spirit to be with us, thus the holy trinity.

"My God My God why hath though forsaken me" ---- Jesus was quoting Old Testament Psalms 22:1.

http://www.mountainretreatorg...

When Christ called out to God in this manner, clearly He was consciously quoting this Psalm as an illustration to all that would come after, that He was fulfilling this Old Testament prophecy. This is the key to understanding why the Lord would say this. Jesus Christ, as the living "Word of God" in the flesh, is the application of God's revealed will concerning the atonement for sin by the wrath of God poured out upon man. And His question in Psalms 22:1 of, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me," is answered in Psalms 22:3.
  • XXMr.Scare99XX 2013/02/07 04:25:01
    XXMr.Scare99XX
    +1
    awww come on dude.Jesus was fully man and fully God and He taught things and tried to keep the Messianic secret.The skeptics annotated Bible is just so stupid that I don't know if I should be laughing or crying.Jesus wanted to keep His divinity a secret and He was both man and God so He acted as such.And He is another persona of God.The Head of the Godhead is the Father and the Son was flesh and had temptation so He would not claim to be God directly but would imply it.He never said ''I'm not God'' He taught people that God is good because He wanted them to learn not to thank man or man's help.He was not saying He was not God
  • evangelism_vision 2013/02/06 23:00:35
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    Jesus fulfilled over 400 prophecies, many written thousands of years before Jesus was born. When the prophecy of Jesus being crucified was predicted, Rome was not yet in power and they are the first to use that method for people to die

Jesus had no control where he was born and which family and tribe he came from

Messianic Prophecy - The Odds of Fulfillment
    We can understand the power of Messianic Prophecy when we consider statistical odds that one person fulfilled all of them. If we study just seven of the specific prophecies, that were later fulfilled in the Person of Jesus Christ, we are amazed by the impossibility!

To illustrate, here are some conservative "odds" next to seven established prophecies.
    Messianic Prophecy Odds Without God
    1. Jesus would be a descendant of David. 104 (1 in 10,000)
    2. Jesus would be born in Bethlehem. 105 (1 in 100,000)
    3. Jesus would be a miracle worker. 105 (1 in 100,000)
    4. Jesus would present Himself as King riding on a donkey. 106 (1 in 1,000,000)
    5. Jesus would be betrayed by a friend for 30 pieces of silver. 106 (1 in 1,000,000)
    6. Jesus would be crucified. 106 (1 in 1,000,000)
    7. Jesus would first present Himself as King 173,880 days
    from the decree of Artaxerxes to rebuild Jerusalem. 106 (1 in 1,000,000)
    Total Probability (without God) 1038 (1 in a 100 billion, billion, billion, billion)
  • evangelism_vision 2013/02/06 22:47:42
    evangelism_vision
    YES, Jesus is God and yet the religious leaders in the time of Christ had been for thousands of years waiting for their Messiah, they knew the prophecies, and yet they missed their opportunity to realize that he was with them daily.

Did Jesus claim to be God? Yes He Did.... So we have two choices.. Yes He is or He is a Liar.
    Jesus said that if you do not believe who I am, believe the Miracles I do After all, If Jesus is God, his Miracles will prove he was..... Make sense? Does to me.

1. The virgin birth

(See Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-38)
    In the Bible's New Testament, Jesus is the Messiah (the Christ) who was promised by the Bible's Old Testament prophets. Jesus is fully God and fully human. God allowed himself to be born as a person, to live among people and to teach people about God's plan of salvation and to die for our sins. Because Jesus also is human, he can be called the Son of God and the Son of Man. Jesus was born to a woman named Mary about 2,000 years ago in Bethlehem, Israel. Mary was a virgin when she became pregnant with Jesus. The miracle of the virgin birth of Jesus is recorded in the New Testament books of Matthew and Luke.

2. Changing water into wine

(See John 2:1-11)
    Before Jesus began his public ministry, he performed a miracle of changing water into ...

1. The virgin birth

(See Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-38)

2. Changing water into wine

(See John 2:1-11)
    Before Jesus began his public ministry, he performed a miracle of changing water into wine at a wedding banquet in the village of Cana, in Galilee, which is a region in the land of Israel. Jesus, his mother, Mary, and his disciples were guests at the wedding. The supply of wine ran out, and through the urging of his mother, Jesus had six water pots filled to the brim with water and the water was miraculously turned into wine. The master of the banquet then called the bridegroom over "and said, 'Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now' " (John 2:10, NIV). In the next verse, John the Apostle wrote: "What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him" (John 2:11, NIV).

3. Healing of the royal official's son

(See John 4:46-54)
    A royal official, who had a sick son in Capernaum, heard that Jesus had traveled to the town of Cana. The official went to Cana and begged Jesus to go to Capernaum to heal the official's son, who was about to die. Jesus told the man that his son would live. The man believed Jesus and left Cana. While the man was returning to Capernaum, his servants met him on the way and told him that his son was alive and that the son's fever had gone away at 1 p.m. the day before. The man realized that that was the same time that Jesus had told him that his son would live.

4. Healing of the possessed man in Capernaum

(See Mark 1:21-28; Luke 4:33-37)
    As Jesus was preaching in a synagogue in Capernaum, a man possessed by a demon was present and began shouting "Why are You bothering us, Jesus of Nazareth - have You come to destroy us demons? I know who You are - the Holy Son of God!" Jesus commanded the demon to say no more and to come out of the man. The evil spirit screamed and convulsed the man violently and left him. The news of this miracle spread quickly through the entire area of Galilee.

5. Healing of Peter's mother-in-law

(See Matthew 8:14-15; Mark 1:29-31; Luke 4:38-39)
    After Jesus healed the possessed man in the synagogue in Capernaum, He and His disciples went over to Simon and Andrews home, where they found Simons mother-in-law sick in bed with a high fever. Jesus took her by the hand and helped her sit up, the fever suddenly left, and she got up and prepared dinner for them.

6. Healing the sick during the evening

(See Matthew 8:16; Mark 1:32; Luke 4:40-41)
    After Jesus healed Peter's mother-in-law in Capernaum, Jesus healed many people during the evening of all kinds of illnesses. As explained in the Gospel of Luke: "At sunset, the people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sickness, and laying his hands on each one, he healed them. Moreover, demons came out of many people, shouting, 'You are the Son of God!' But he rebuked them and would not allow them to speak, because they knew he was the Messiah" (Luke 4:40-41, NIV).

So why would Jesus want to prevent the evil spirits from proclaiming him as being the Messiah? A Bible scholar named Victor Prange wrote the following:

Jesus did not want the witness of these evil spirits. They witnessed from evil intent and with the purpose of undermining the true purpose of Christ's mission. Too easily people would come to think of the Messiah only as a miracle worker and not as the Servant of God come to redeem sinners from eternal death and hell.
    Source: Prange, Victor H.: Luke. Milwaukee, Wis. : Northwestern Pub. House, 1988 (The People's Bible), S. 52

7. Catching a large number of fish

(See Luke 5:3-10)
    Stepping in Simons boat, Jesus asked Simon to push out a little into the water, so that He could sit in the boat and speak to the crowd on shore. When He finished speaking He told Simon to go out in the deeper water and let down his nets. Simon replied "we worked hard all last night and didn't catch a thing. But if You say so, we will try again". And this time the nets were so full, they began to tear. A shout for help brought in another boat and soon both boats were filled with fish and on the verge of sinking. It was during this miracle Jesus told Simon "Do not be afraid, from now on you will be fishing for the souls of men.

8. Healing a leper

(See Matthew 8:1-3; Mark 1:40-42)
    After preaching the "Sermon on the Mount" (Matt 5-7), Jesus came down the hillside followed by a large crowd. A leper approached Him, knelt before Him worshiping, and pleaded, "if You want to, You can heal me". Jesus touched the man, and said to him "I want to, be healed". And instantly the leper was healed.

9. Healing a centurion's servant

(See Matthew 8:5-13; Luke 7:1-10)
    In Capernaum, a Centurion came to Jesus asking to have his servant, who was close to death, healed. When Jesus said He would come and cure the servant, the Centurion answered that he was not worthy to have Jesus come under his roof, but to only speak the word, and his servant will be healed. Jesus was amazed at this and told His followers, that not even in Israel had He found such faith. Jesus then told the Centurion "Go, let it be done for you according to your faith". And the servant was healed in that hour.

10. Healing a paralytic

(See Matthew 9:1-8; Mark 2:1-12; Luke 5:18-26)
    There was a large crowd around the house Jesus was staying, in Capernaum. With no room left in or outside the house, four men dug through the roof and lowered a paralyzed man on a mat, right in front of Jesus. When Jesus saw how strongly they believed that He would help, Jesus said to the sick man "Son your sins are forgiven!" Some of the Jewish leaders thought this was blasphemy, for only God can forgive sins. Jesus let them know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins, and said to the paralytic "I say to you stand up, take your mat and go home". The man stood up took the mat and went out before all of them, so that they were all amazed and Glorified god, saying, "We have never seen anything like this".

11. Healing a withered hand

(See Matthew 12:9-14; Mark 3:1-6)
    In a synagogue Jesus entered, a man was there with a withered hand. Being it was unlawful to work on the Sabbath, they watched to see if Jesus would cure him. Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to them "I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save life or to destroy it?" He then told the man to stretch out his hand, and as he did so, his hand was restored. The Pharisees then left and conspired against Him.

12. Raising a widow's son

(See Luke 7:11-17)
    Approaching the town of Nain, the dead and only son of a widow, was being carried out. When Jesus saw this He had compassion for the widow and told her not to weep. He then touched the bier and said "Young man, I say to you, rise!" The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother. The people seeing this, glorified God, and the word about Him spread throughout Judea, and all the surrounding country.

13. Calming the stormy sea

(See Matthew 8:23-27; Mark 4:35-41; Luke 8:22-25)
    Jesus got into a boat with His disciples to cross the Sea of Galilee. A great windstorm arose, causing high waves. The waves beat into the boat so that the boat was being swamped. Jesus was sleeping on a cushion in the stern, when His disciples, fearing they will die, woke Jesus. He rebuked the wind and said to the sea "Peace! Be still!" Then the wind ceased and there was a dead calm. Jesus said to them "Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?" The disciples were filled with great awe and said to one another "Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?"

14. Healing the Gerasene demoniac

(See Matthew 8:28-32; Mark 5:1-13; Luke 8:26-33)
    After Jesus calmed the wind and sea, He and His disciples landed in the country of Gerasenes. A man full of demons, who lived among the tombs met them. He bowed before Jesus and shouted "What have You to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure You by God, do not torment me". Jesus asked the demon what was his name. The demon answered "My name is Legion for we are many". He begged Jesus not to send them back to the abyss, but into a herd of swine that was nearby. Jesus told the demons to leave the man and gave them permission to enter the swine. The unclean spirits came out and entered the swine, and the herd, numbering about 2000 rushed down the steep bank into the sea, and were drowned in the sea.

And there are plenty more including Jesus raising from the dead
  • evangel... evangel... 2013/02/06 22:48:54
    evangelism_vision
    15. Healing a woman with internal bleeding

(See Matthew 9:20-22; Mark 5:25-34; Luke 8:43-48)
    A woman who had been suffering from hemorrhages for twelve years, and had spent all that she had on many physicians, and was no better, but rather grew worse, had heard about Jesus, and came up behind Him in a crowd and touched His cloak. For she said "If I but touch His clothes, I will be made well". Immediately her hemorrhage stopped, and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease. Jesus was aware that power had gone forth from Him, turned around and asked "Who touched My clothes?" The woman knowing what happened to her, came in fear and trembling, fell down before Him, and told Him the whole truth. Jesus said to her "Daughter, your faith has made you well, go in peace, and be healed of your disease."

16. Raising Jairus' daughter

(See Matthew 9:18-19, 23-25; Mark 5:22-24, 35-43; Luke 8:41-42, 49-56)
    A leader of the synagogue named Jairus came to Jesus, and begged Him to come and lay hands on his little daughter who was near death. As Jesus went, the crowds pressed in on Him and He felt power had gone forth from Him. It was at this point He healed the woman who had been hemorrhaging for twelve years (see miracle 13). While He was still speaking to the woman, someone came from ...

16. Raising Jairus' daughter

A leader of the synagogue named Jairus came to Jesus, and begged Him to come and lay hands on his little daughter who was near death. As Jesus went, the crowds pressed in on Him and He felt power had gone forth from Him. It was at this point He healed the woman who had been hemorrhaging for twelve years (see miracle 13). While He was still speaking to the woman, someone came from Jairus' house and told him his daughter had died. When Jesus heard about this He replied "Do not fear. Only believe, and she will be saved." Jesus entered the house with Peter, John, James, and the child's father and mother. The people in the house were all weeping and wailing for her, but Jesus said "Do not weep, for she is not dead but sleeping." He then took her by the hand and called out "Child get up." Her spirit returned, and she got up at once. Then He directed them to give her something to eat. Her parents were astounded, but He ordered them to tell no one what happened.

17. Healing two blind men

(See Matthew 9:27-31)
    Two blind men followed Jesus, crying loudly, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!" Jesus said to them "Do you believe I am able to do this?" They said to Him "Yes, Lord." Then He touched their eyes and said "According to your faith let it be done to you." And their eyes were opened. Then Jesus sternly ordered them "See that no one knows of this." But they went away and spread the news about Him throughout that district.

18. Healing a mute demoniac

(See Matthew 9:32-33)
    After the two healed blind men in miracle 15 left, a demoniac who was mute was brought to Jesus. And when Jesus cast the demon out, the one who had been mute spoke, and the crowds were amazed and said they had never seen anything like this in Israel.

19. Healing a 38 year invalid

(See John 5:5-17)
    Jesus saw a man who had been ill for 38 years, laying by the pool of Bethesda. Jesus knew the man had been ill for a long time and asked him if he wanted to made well. The sick man answered Him that he had no one to put him in the pool when the water is stirred up, and while he is making his way, someone else steps down ahead of him. Jesus told the man "Stand up, take your mat and walk." The man was made well at once, and he took up his mat and began to walk. Note: Crowds of sick people lay on the platforms by the pool, waiting for a certain movement of the water, for an Angel of the Lord came from time to time and disturbed the water, and the first person to step down into it afterwards was healed. The Jewish leaders started persecuting Jesus for He worked on the Sabbath in doing this miracle, and telling the man to carry his mat. Jesus replied "My Father is still working, and I also am working."

20. Feeding 5000 men and their families

(See Matthew 14:16-21; Mark 6:35-44; Luke 9:12-17; John 6:5-14)
    A large crowd gathered around Jesus at a deserted place on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. It was late and the people had no food. Jesus told His disciples to give them something to eat. They replied there is nothing here but five barley loaves and two fish that was carried by a boy. Jesus had the food brought to Him, and ordered the crowds to sit on the grass. Then He took the five loaves and two fish, and looked up into Heaven, and blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to His disciples to set before the people, and He divided the two fish among them all. The food was multiplied, and all 5000 men and their families ate and were filled. What was left over was gathered up, twelve baskets of broken pieces. This miracle is recorded in all four Gospels.

21. Walking on water

(See Matthew 14:22-33; Mark 6:45-52; John 6:16-21)
    After feeding the 5000, Jesus made His disciples get into a boat and go ahead to the other side of the Sea of Galilee. He then dismissed the crowds and went up the mountain by Himself to pray. By this time the boat was far from land, and was being battered by wind and waves. Early in the morning He came walking towards His disciples on the sea. When His disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, saying "Its a ghost." But Jesus spoke to them "Take heart, it is I, do not be afraid." Peter answered Him "Lord if its You, command me to come to You on the water." Jesus told Him to come, and Peter got out of the boat and started walking on the water. But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened and beginning to sink he cried out to Jesus to save him. Jesus immediately reached out His hand and caught him, saying to him "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" When they got into the boat the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped Him, saying "Truly You are the Son of God."

22. Miraculous healing of many people in Gennesaret

(See Matthew 14:34-36; Mark 6:53-56)
    After performing the miracle of walking on water on the Sea of Galilee, Jesus and his disciples anchored their boat on the shore at Gennesaret. The residents saw Jesus and went to him to be miraculously healed of a variety of ailments. Even the people who touched Jesus' clothing were healed: "When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret and anchored there. As soon as they got out of the boat, people recognized Jesus. They ran throughout that whole region and carried the sick on mats to wherever they heard he was. And wherever he went-into villages, towns or countryside-they placed the sick in the marketplaces. They begged him to let them touch even the edge of his cloak, and all who touched it were healed" (Mark 6:53-56, NIV).

23. Healing a demoniac girl

(See Matthew 15:21-28; Mark 7:24-30)
    Jesus set out and went away to the region of Tyre. A woman whose little daughter had an unclean spirit heard about Jesus and she came and bowed down at His feet. The woman was a Gentile of Syrophoenician origin. She begged Jesus to cast the demon out of her daughter. Jesus replied "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." But she again asked for help and Jesus replied "It is not fair to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs." The woman answered "Yes Lord, but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters table." Then Jesus answered "Woman, great is your faith! Let it be done as you wish." She went home, found her the child laying on the bed, and the demon gone.

24. Healing a deaf man with a speech impediment

(See Mark 7:31-37)
    Jesus left Tyre, and in the region of Decapolis, a deaf man who had a speech impediment was brought to Him. He took the man aside away from the crowd, put His fingers into the mans ears, and He spat and touched his tongue. Then looking up to Heaven, He sighed and said to him "Ephphatha", that is, "Be opened." Immediately his ears were opened, his tongue was released, and he spoke plainly. Then Jesus ordered them to tell no one, but they were astounded beyond measure, saying, "He has done everything well, He even makes the deaf to hear and the mute to speak."

25. Feeding the 4000 men and their families

(See Matthew 15:29-39; Mark 8:1-10)
    Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, and went up into the mountain, where He sat down. Great crowds came to Him, bringing their sick, and He cured them. The crowd was with Jesus for three days and had nothing to eat. Feeling compassion for the crowd, He asked His disciples if they had any loaves. They came up with seven loaves and a few small fish. Then ordering the crowd to sit down, He took the seven loaves and the fish, and after giving thanks, He broke them and gave them to His disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. And all of them ate and were filled, and the scraps were picked up, filling seven baskets. Those who had eaten were 4000 men, besides women and children.

26. Healing a blind man

(See Mark 8:22-26)
    In Bethsaida some people brought a blind man to Jesus and begged Jesus to touch him. Jesus took the blind man out of the village. Jesus put saliva on the man's eyes and Jesus put his hands on the man. Jesus asked the man if he could see. The man answered he could see people but they looked like trees walking around. Then Jesus put his hands on his eyes again, and the man's sight was restored and he saw everything clearly.

27. Healing a man born blind

(See John 9:1-41)
    Jesus saw a man who was blind from birth. He then spat on the ground and made mud with the saliva and spread the mud on the man's eyes, telling him to go wash in the pool of Siloam. The man did this and was able to see. The people who had known the man were astounded and they brought the Pharisees to him. After many questions, which also included asking questions of the man's parents, the Pharisees still could not accept the fact that Jesus cured a man who had been born blind. Jesus made the statement "For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind."

28. Healing a demoniac boy

(See Matthew 17:14-21; Mark 9:17-29; Luke 9:37-43)
    After the Transfiguration in which Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus on a mountain, Jesus, Peter, James and John came down from the mountain and were met by a man who pleaded with Jesus to remove the demon from his son. The disciples at the base of the mountain had tried to cast out the demon, but could not. Jesus rebuked the demon and it came out of him, and the boy was cured instantly. When His disciples asked Him why they could not cast out the demon, He said to them "This kind can come out only through prayer."

29. Catching a fish with a coin in its mouth

(See Matthew 17:24-27)
    When they reached Capernaum the tax collectors came to Peter and asked "Does your teacher not pay the Temple tax?" Peter said "Yes He does." And when he came home, Jesus spoke of the tax first and told Peter to "Go to the sea and cast a hook, take the first fish that comes up, and when you open his mouth, you will find a coin, take that and give it to them for you and Me."

30. Healing a blind and mute demoniac

(See Matthew 12:22; Luke 11:14)
    A demoniac was brought to Jesus who was blind and mute. Jesus cured him so that the man could speak and see. The crowds were amazed and said "Can this be the Son of David?"

31. Healing a woman with an 18 year infirmity

(See Luke 13:10-13)
    Jesus was teaching in a synagogue on the Sabbath. A woman appeared with a spirit that crippled her for 18 years. She was bent over and unable to stand upright. When Jesus saw her, He called her over and said, "Woman, you are set free of your ailment." When He laid hands on her, immediately she stood up straight and began praising God.

32. Healing a man with dropsy

(See Luke 14:1-6)
    Jesus was going to the house of a leader of the Pharisees to eat a meal on the Sabbath. Just then, in front of Him there was a man who had dropsy. Jesus asked the lawyers and Pharisees, "Is it lawful to cure people on the Sabbath, or not?" Everybody was silent. So Jesus healed him and sent him away. Then He said to them "If one of you has a child or an ox that has fallen into a well, will you not immediately pull it out on a Sabbath day?" And they could not reply to this.

33. Healing 10 lepers

(See Luke 17:11-19)
    On the way to Jerusalem, Jesus entered a village and was approached by 10 lepers. Keeping their distance, they called out to Jesus for mercy. When He saw them, He said to them "Go and show yourselves to the Priests." And as they went they were made clean. Then one of them, when he saw he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice. He prostrated himself and thanked Jesus. And he was a Samaritan. Then Jesus asked "Were not 10 made clean? But where are the other 9. Was none of them found to return and give praise to God except for this foreigner?" Then He said to him "Get up and go on your way, your faith has made you well."

34. Raising of Lazarus

(See John 11:1-44)
    Mary and Martha, the sisters of Lazarus of Bethany, sent Jesus a message that His friend Lazarus was ill. Jesus stayed two days longer in the place He was, before setting out for Bethany. When Jesus arrived, he found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days. Martha told Jesus that if He had been here, her brother would not have died, but Jesus said to her "Your brother will rise again." Jesus asked where Lazarus was laid out. Jesus began to weep as they walked to the tomb. The tomb was a cave with a stone laying against it. He asked to have the stone removed. Martha said to Him "Lord already there is a stench because he has been dead four days." Jesus answered "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the Glory of God?" When the stone was removed, Jesus looked upward and prayed to the Father. He then cried out in a loud voice "Lazarus come out." The dead man came out with his hands feet and face wrapped in a cloth. Jesus said to them "Unbind him, and let him go."

35. Healing Bartimaeus of blindness

(See Mark 10:46-52)
    As Jesus and a large crowd was leaving Jericho, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, was sitting by the roadside. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth passing by, he shouted to Jesus to have mercy on him. Although he was told to keep quiet by many, he shouted louder. Jesus stood still and called Bartimaeus to Him. Throwing off his cloak the man sprang up and came to Jesus, asking Jesus to let him see again. Jesus said to him "Go your faith has made you well." Immediately Bartimaeus regained his sight and followed Him on the way.

36. Jesus curses the fig tree with no fruit

(See Matthew 21:18-22; Mark 11:12-14, 20-25)
    The Gospels of Matthew and Mark describe a miracle in which Jesus curses a fig tree that was producing no fruit even though it was sprouting leaves. When Jesus' disciples saw the same fig tree the next morning, they noticed that it had already withered and seemed surprised. Jesus told them to have faith:

"Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." (Mark 11:22-25, NIV).

37. Restoring a severed ear

(See Luke 22:45-54)
    Jesus and His disciples were on the Mount of Olives after the Passover dinner. After He prayed a short distance from His disciples, He came to them and found them sleeping. While He was awakening them, a crowd came led by Judas. Judas approached Jesus to kiss Him. Jesus said to him "Judas, is it with a kiss that you are betraying the Son of Man?" When those around Jesus saw what was coming they asked "Lord should we strike with the sword?" Then one of them struck the servant of the High Priest and cut off his ear. But Jesus said "No more of this!" And He touched his ear and healed him. They then seized Jesus and led Him away, bringing Him to the house of the High Priest.

38. The resurrection of Jesus

(See 1 Corinthians 15, Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, John 20)
    After Jesus was crucified - nailed to a cross made of wood - he died and was buried in a tomb. On the third day, he was resurrected, meaning that God had restored Jesus to life. In 1 Corinthians 15, which is part of the New Testament, the significance of the resurrection is explained. It says that Jesus died for our sins (see 1 Corinthians 15:3). It also says that our faith would be meaningless if there had been no resurrection (see 1 Corinthians 15:17). And it proclaims that Jesus was resurrected (see 1 Corinthians 15:20). 1 Corinthians was written by Paul who was one of the people who encountered Jesus after the resurrection. Paul traveled more than 10,000 miles by land and by sea, telling people about Jesus, his resurrection, and the promise of eternal life in the presence of God for those who have faith in Jesus.
  • evangel... evangel... 2013/02/06 22:55:09
    evangelism_vision
    BAR

*************** Is Jesus God? Did Jesus ever claim to be God? ****************

Jesus’ words in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.” We need only to look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement to know He was claiming to be God. They tried to stone Him for this very reason. “… you, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33). The Jews understood exactly what Jesus was claiming—deity. Notice that Jesus does not deny His claim to be God. When Jesus declared, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30), He was saying that He and the Father are of one nature and essence. John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am!” The response of the Jews who heard this statement was to take up stones to kill Him for blasphemy, as the Mosaic Law commanded them to do (Leviticus 24:15).

John reiterates the concept of Jesus’ deity: “the Word was God” and “the Word became flesh” (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, “Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.” Who bought the church—the church of God—with His own blood? Jesus Christ. Acts 20:28 declares that God purchased His church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!

BAR
  • ALofRI 2013/02/06 17:32:57
    ALofRI
    If you believe that, yes. If you don't, no.
  • Ron–Born from Above 2013/02/06 17:24:19
    Ron–Born from Above
    +1
    Christ was 100% man and 100% God. Some of the verses to the right are taken completely out of context, as Christ was actually speaking didactically.
  • XXMr.Sc... Ron–Bor... 2013/02/07 04:27:23
    XXMr.Scare99XX
    +1
    exactly.Its hilarious how so many people take the Bible out of context,In fact the skeptics Bible does not even explain why Jesus said those things so whoever goes there will take the Bible out of context.I think alot of these people intentionally take it out of context
  • Ron–Bor... XXMr.Sc... 2013/02/07 05:52:58
    Ron–Born from Above
    +1
    The natural man is always playing slight of hand with Biblical verses, because he can not even begin to understand the Word of God.

In fact, the atheist world-view can't make any sort of moral judgment, judgment is a moral statement, since there is no such thing as objective moral standards, just personal preferences. So why does it ultimately matter?
  • XXMr.Sc... Ron–Bor... 2013/02/07 07:26:51
    XXMr.Scare99XX
    yep and that is the reason I have won every single debate I've ever been in.

Its weird because atheists claim to know more about religion then religious people do yet they have no idea how to read or understand the Bible.And most of them take the Bible FAR to literally.Such as the eat of my flesh and drink of my blood verse.
  • Fanghur XXMr.Sc... 2013/02/24 01:25:23
    Fanghur
    We know enough to know that Jesus could not simultaneously have been both 100% man and 100% not man at the same time. That is a logically nonsensical belief to hold.
  • XXMr.Sc... Ron–Bor... 2013/02/07 07:27:33
    XXMr.Scare99XX
    And it seems that atheists are more obsessed with God then theists are
  • Fanghur Ron–Bor... 2013/02/24 01:23:43
    Fanghur
    You do realize that what you just said is a clear violation of the law of non-contradiction, right? Unless you are saying that man and god are synonymous, in which case all of us are god. Care to modify your statement?
  • Ron–Bor... Fanghur 2013/02/24 01:54:12
    Ron–Born from Above
    To avoid misunderstanding it is important to explain the Christian belief about the generation of the Son and the Incarnation. God has perfect Knowledge of himself for all eternity. This knowledge may be called the Word. This Word is eternal because God is eternal and his intellect is always in perfect action. God is perfectly one, which means this Word is one with all God's attributes. In other words, this Word is infinite, all-powerful, all-knowing, truth, goodness, existence, life, love, spirit, eternal, and uncreated, which means this Word is God. This Word is perfectly one with God. The Word is called the Son because he may be described as intellectually generated. God may be called the Father because he may be described as intellectually generating the Word.

Two thousand years ago the eternal Word of God became Human and entered human history. This took place by the Son of God the Father perfectly uniting a human nature to himself. All human beings have a limited union with God. God is existence, life, love, truth, goodness, wisdom, and power. Our existence and life, and all the love, truth, goodness, wisdom and power among us, is merely a limited sharing in God. The Incarnation consists in this sharing being raised to the highest possible level, by the Word of God taking a human nature to himself. In other words, Jesus Christ is one Person with two natures, a Divine nature and a Human nature.
  • Fanghur Ron–Bor... 2013/02/24 02:20:18
    Fanghur
    Whether that's true or not, it does not change the fact that you are violating the laws on identity and non-contradiction. It is still a logically nonsensical thing to say because the words have meanings; you are essentially saying that Jesus was simultaneously 100% man AND 100% not man at the same time in the same sense. God is not man. 'Man' is the species Homo sapiens which is a biological organism that evolved over millions of years, not a transcendent immaterial force.

I have made this point to several of the more prominent fundies on this website already, including Sonofason, and even they were unwilling to contradict me on it: Not even an omnipotent god can make something which is logically impossible possible. To say that Jesus was simultaneously 100% man/human and 100% god (not man/human) is every bit as logically nonsensical as it would be to say that god could make a picture of a square circle or a horizontal vertical line appear on the wall, or that god could make it so that two plus two equals ten. It is a logical impossibility.

I understand that that is what your theology preaches, or at least your particular version of it, but it is absolutely meaningless. And I say that not to be offensive, but because that is simply the truth of it. Now if you have some way of c...

I understand that that is what your theology preaches, or at least your particular version of it, but it is absolutely meaningless. And I say that not to be offensive, but because that is simply the truth of it. Now if you have some way of circumventing the three logical tautologies which necessarily apply even to god, state it now. But I guarantee that it can not be done. While Matt Slick may be a complete moron, he was right about the fact that not even god could violate them.
  • Ron–Bor... Fanghur 2013/02/24 04:51:24
    Ron–Born from Above
    As an atheist, you don't even believe in God, let alone a literal person called Christ. Why do I need to prove anything to you! Your world-view would not permit it to be so.

I do have a theological background in evangelical systematic theology, sonofason does not. Does that make me a better Christian, no.

Does that mean I know absolutely everything about theology? It is a life long process. At least I know what I believe is grounded in the word of God.

The Humanity of Christ- Kenosis Geek "make empty; remove the contents of something. Speaks of the effect of the incarnation on the nature of Christ spoken of in Phil 2:5-8 5 Have this in your mind, which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, existing in the form of God, didn’t consider it robbery to be equal with God, 7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, yes, the death of the cross.

Christ was fully God, but did not access those divine attributes when on earth. Christ laid aside the divine prerogative to exercise the use of His attributes. He lived completely submissive to the Holy Spirit and the Father's will.
  • Fanghur Ron–Bor... 2013/02/24 04:58:30
    Fanghur
    "As an atheist, you don't even believe in God, let alone a literal person called Christ. Why do I need to prove anything to you! Your world-view would not permit it to be so."

Because unless you are prepared to make the claim tat god COULD in fact draw a square circle, your claim needs defending, which you so far have not done.
  • Ron–Bor... Fanghur 2013/02/24 06:05:08
    Ron–Born from Above
    I don't know why you felt a need to repeat me. My guess was to make your statement larger than what you could provide.

I never said that God could make a square round. God can't do what goes against His own laws.

I have given you the evidence you need, twice, but than again like I said you won't except those things of God.

When you answer me, you do nothing but fall upon your own sword. You are not an intellectual atheist, you are just an atheist by name..
  • Fanghur Ron–Bor... 2013/02/24 13:59:15
    Fanghur
    If that is what it appears like I was doing then I give my sincere apologies, because that was not what I intended. However, I am not simply going back to my original point because I refuse to accept it, but rather because your claim (or more accurately your statement) just flat out does not make logical sense to me and as far as I can tell is logically impossible. I used the square circle analogy simply to illustrate my point. A square circle is logically impossible because it violates the law of non-contradiction, which even god is necessarily bound by. Your claim of Jesus being both 100% human and 100% god is logically impossible for the same reason; to say that something is 100% of X means that it is by definition 0% NOT X.

Now please explain to me how it is logically possible for you to make that statement. I am not just being stubborn, I am genuinely trying to understand. Would I accept that in your theology, Jesus is god in human form? Yes. But I can not understand your claim that Jesus was 100% human AND 100% god (not human) at the same time when that is by its very nature a self-contradictory statement. It would be like saying that someone simultaneously believes that a god DOES exist and that a god DOES NOT exist. It simply can not be done.
  • Fanghur Ron–Bor... 2013/02/24 14:16:16
    Fanghur
    And by the way, square circles are not impossible because god made it that way; to make that claim is to say that it might not have been that way had god done things differently, that is false. They are impossible simply by the very nature of existence; it couldn't not be that way.
  • Ron–Bor... Fanghur 2013/02/24 15:36:51
    Ron–Born from Above
    Please read these with that of a man who truly seeks the truth. Please be sure to read the commentaries that follow. I know that the natural man is spiritual discern, but if you are willing to give Christ a chance, the rewards are exceedingly great.

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. John 3:13 Note: for no being
    can possibly exist in more places than one at a time, but HE who
    fills the heavens and the earth.

[B]y him [Jesus] were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth...all things were created by him, and for him. Colossians 1:16

All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made. John 1:3

“Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I AM He, you will die in your sins.” John 8:24 Note: In the Greek, "He" is not there.

Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. –John 5:18

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and...

fills the heavens and the earth.

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. Revelation 1:17

When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.." Mark 2:5 Note: Only God can forgive sins.

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. Titus 2:13-14

I and my Father are one. John 10:30

Jesus saith...he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:9

The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; Acts 3:13-14

While [Jesus] spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him... Matthew 9:18 Note: Only God can be worshiped.

And again, when [God] bringeth in the firstbegotten [Jesus] into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. Hebrews 1:6 Note: Only God can be worshiped.

And Thomas answered and said unto [Jesus], My Lord and my God. John 20:28

[A]ll men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. John 5:23

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. John 8:58

[T]he Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: John 5:22 Note: Who but God can judge man.

[T]he Son quickeneth whom he will. John 5:21

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: GOD was manifest in the FLESH, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, BELIEVED ON in the world, RECEIVED UP into glory."--1 Timothy 3:16

"...CHRIST JESUS...being in the FORM OF GOD, thought it not robbery to be EQUAL WITH GOD: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." --Philippians 2:5-8

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. --II Corinthians 4:4

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. 19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; Colossians 1:13-19
    (see note at the bottom)

"For in [Jesus] dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." Colossians 2:9 By the Godhead or Deity, θεοτης, we are to understand the state or being of the Divine nature; and by the fulness of that Deity, the infinite attributes essential to such a nature. Bodily.] συματικως signifies truly, really; in opposition to
    typically, figuratively.

Revelation 22:13 - “I AM the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”... 22:16 - “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches.”

"Jesus heard that they had put him out; and finding him, He said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" 36 He answered and said, "And who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?" 37 Jesus said to him, "You have both seen Him, and He is the one who is talking with you." 38 And he said, "Lord, I believe." And he worshiped Him."–John 9:35-38

Colossians 1 Verse 15. Who is the image of the invisible God] The counterpart of God Almighty, and if the image of the invisible God, consequently nothing that appeared in him could be that image; for if it could be visible in the Son, it could also be visible in the Father; but if the Father be invisible, consequently his image in the Son must be invisible also. This is that form of God of which he divested himself; the ineffable glory in which he not only did not appear, as to its splendour and accompaniments, but concealed also its essential nature; that inaccessible light which no man, no created being, can possibly see. This was that Divine nature, the fulness of the Godhead bodily, which dwelt in him.

The first-born of every creature] I suppose this phrase to mean the same as that, Php 2:9: God hath given him a name which is above every name; he is as man at the head of all the creation of God; nor can he with any propriety be considered as a creature, having himself created all things, and existed before any thing was made. If it be said that God created him first, and that he, by a delegated power from God, created all things, this is most flatly contradicted by the apostle's reasoning in the 16th and 17th verses. Col 1:16, 17 As the Jews term Jehovah becoro shel olam, the first-born of all the world, or of all the creation, to signify his having created or produced all things; so Christ is here termed, and the words which follow in the 16th and 17th Col 1:16, 17 verses are the proof of this. The phraseology is Jewish; and as they apply it to the supreme Being merely to denote his eternal pre-existence, and to point him out as the cause of all things; it is most evident that St. Paul uses it in the same way, and illustrates his meaning in the following words, which would be absolutely absurd if we could suppose that by the former he intended to convey any idea of the inferiority of Jesus Christ.
  • joe keeney 2013/02/06 17:12:12
    joe keeney
    Once again he Jewish his name Yeshua if you pray to him use his name. Yes he the bring of salvation and the son.
  • Boris Badinov 2013/02/06 16:41:01
    Boris Badinov
    +4
    Christ is the 2nd person of the Trinity.
  • XXMr.Sc... Boris B... 2013/02/07 04:28:32
    XXMr.Scare99XX
    +1
    exactly.This guy obviously does not know or understand that.The trinity is pretty easy to understand when you put your mind to it

2014/07/31 15:35:02