Is it wrong to be the third party in a marriage affair?

slave 2010/11/20 18:42:36
Related Topics: Marriage, Single
Michael and Mary are married, and Mary has an affair with John, who is single. Mary is obviously wrong because she is breaking her vow of fidelity, but how wrong is John? John has not taken any vows with anyone. If he were unaware that Mary were married, most people would excuse him, but if he were aware that Mary were married, many people would blame him too. Why?

• Cramwler 2013/06/17 19:45:54 (edited)
    The third party should be blamed because...
    Cramwler
    Third party new it what they were doing with someones wife or girlfriend. Yes they should be blame. It is still not morally correct.
  • lpd 2010/11/22 04:52:45
    lpd
    +1
    ofcourse the third party should be blamed, they are participating in this immoral act as well.
    Why would you want to share a person anyway?
    Don't you feel that you deserve someone of your own.?
  • Twiztical 2010/11/22 00:43:54
    Twiztical
    +1
    third party isnt breaking any promises, but if they are aware of the preexisting relationship, its still feels a little morally off. but i dont think it is as big of a deal unless there are children involved on either side.
  • fascination 2010/11/20 23:41:17
    fascination
    +1
    They aren't breaking a vow, so it isn't wrong, but they are helping someone else break a vow, so it is wrong. I don't think I'd be the "third party" knowingly, but it's not really their fault. Both the person in the marriage and the third party are to blame.
    Conclusion: 67% married person's fault, 33% third party's fault in the general situation.
  • brianna953 2010/11/20 21:24:14
    brianna953
    +1
    i myself have been the third party in a relationship, and i tried to keep away from the person i liked, but once they new how much they cared about them they told me they felt the same. i didnt want to hurt the person they were in a relationship with, but i didnt want to leave them. its not the third partys choice, its the ppl in the relationship they have the choice to be faithful or unfaithful. i know i sound like im just blaming the other person, but it still true. take it from me.
  • Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~ 2010/11/20 20:47:06
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    +2
    It's like witnessing a murder or some other crime - if you see someone wrong happening, and you don't try and stop it, it's just as much your fault.

If he knew she was married then he helped her to break those vows. So really they are both to blame. If one person commits a crime and another sees it of helps to clean it up or takes part in it then they are also responsible for it.

So really, they are BOTH to blame.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2010/11/20 20:37:54
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +2
    IF HE KNOWS MARY IS MARRIED, HE IS AN ACCOMPLICE IN HER BREAKING MARRIAGE VOWS. SHE NEEDS TO DIVORCE MICHAEL...
  • lpd MOMMA T... 2010/11/22 05:03:27
    lpd
    +1
    breaking the marriage vows- she is cheating on him? Don't they have a name for women who do that?
  • MOMMA T... lpd 2010/11/22 06:40:45
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    THINK MICHAEL WOULD HAVE NAMES FOR BOTH OF THEM.....
  • BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust" 2010/11/20 20:36:30
    BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust"
    +2
    ...they know that they could be causing pain to another person.
  • Lance 2010/11/20 20:32:33
    Lance
    +1
    One should not be a third party, knowingly. Most of you in the US seem keen on capital punishment.
    A lot of you are Catholic. In which case you agree with the Pope on such issues.
    For those of you who who do not follow the papist faith, how many claim to be Anglican.?
    If you do, then you must acknowledge the Queen as the head of your church.
  • Plain J... Lance 2010/11/20 23:44:05
    Plain James
    +2
    Religion only gets us in trouble. This church says that and that church says that and this church says only this is the true christian church but that christian church on the corner..all those people don't have the truth and going to burn in h...! Then they find the dead sea scrolls and found out that some passages were not scripture at all but inserted passages or stories to influence a persons political or religious beliefs at the time. All humanity does is go in circles repeating their self. Right or wrong good or bad its the same ole same ole.
  • Allera 2010/11/20 20:19:52
    Allera
    +1
    because some marriages are free to do who ever and when ever they want
  • lpd Allera 2010/11/22 04:56:18
    lpd
    +1
    why do people get married if they want to be with someone else?
    they should just divorce.
  • Allera lpd 2010/11/22 16:10:32
  • Anna E 2010/11/20 20:00:11
    Anna E
    +1
    It depends upon whether your marriage contract allows for a third person or not. If you don't stick to what a marriage arrangement calls for, stay out of it.
  • lpd Anna E 2010/11/22 04:57:03
    lpd
    +1
    marriage CONTRACT. LOL sounds like a business deal. Contract does not sound like true love to me.
  • Anna E lpd 2010/11/23 18:29:03
    Anna E
    +1
    Vows, contract, statement of Intent, oath, promises, agreement, etc. = essentially the same thing
  • Plain James 2010/11/20 19:56:53
    The third party should never be blamed
    Plain James
    +2
    The only commitment or contract here is Michael and Mary. The third party can be sued in some states for alienation of affection by Michael and take John to court. But to be honest I would walk away because doesn't matter if I won cause I lost even before the case begun cause I sure want no women who don't want me so I would move on.
  • wombat Plain J... 2010/11/20 20:03:06
    wombat
    +1
    Yes the law should prosecute the wife not the intruder. She broke the contract not the guy.
  • Plain J... wombat 2010/11/20 21:16:09
    Plain James
    +2
    Depends on the laws of the state they reside in. Most states have no fault divorce or everyone gets half No sense to suing the wife because she still gets half now there was a time you could really send her packing and take everything even the kids you can still do that if your rich and pay the millions. The law is 50-50 in most places. Due to the law is why I said I would move on with my life. In my state a wife sued her husbands girlfriend and won. The charge on her was alienation of affection. She did not want her husband in this--the harm was done and not able to be repaired but guess revenge was the girlfriend and husband lost everything financially plus each other. What I liked was they had a good marriage and happy and the guy admitted it that he was happy but this women come along and he was like a fool fell for her and she had money and good career. That was all gone when the wifey was done with her in court. Maybe I have respect for the women for not allowing them getting away with upsetting her apple cart and letting them going off skipping away in the sunset living happily ever after. I think the wife won cause she was not the scorned angry bitter women instead she was matter of fact about it.
  • wombat Plain J... 2010/11/20 21:51:45
    wombat
    +1
    Yes because of the Law I dont marry!!!
  • The polite zombie 2010/11/20 19:08:13
    The polite zombie
    +1
    Because those kinds of affairs sssooooooooooo often just flings he has to know it's not going anywhere, and he is just taking advantage of the person in the marriage. It is possible, however, that the relationship is going somewhere and he is just following is true feelings. But most of the time it's just another situation where I guy can get some free sex without strings.
  • lpd The pol... 2010/11/22 05:00:26
    lpd
    +1
    "free sex without strings"
    So then it's true, I have heard many men say that marriage is just legalized prostitution?
  • The pol... lpd 2010/11/22 17:57:41
    The polite zombie
    +1
    That's a bit grim. So is having a girlfriend too. Is buying a woman flowers a bribe? It depends on the motive of those involved I guess.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2010/11/20 19:07:19
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    No one is wrong, private property of spouses is not in the Constitution.
  • Relay 2010/11/20 19:06:02
    Relay
    +1
    in this case beause john knew mary was married what he did was wrong and should be taking part of the blame. however mary was the one who chose cheat in the first place so she should take responsiblilty for everything.
  • wombat 2010/11/20 19:02:07
    The third party should never be blamed
    wombat
    +2
    Mary has a contract ... she broke the rules. The only blame hitting John is of moral quality. He is trespassing the "property" of that contract.
  • Plain J... wombat 2010/11/20 19:59:02
    Plain James
    +2
    Can't wait to tell my wife she is my property. Second thought no...I want to live!
  • wombat Plain J... 2010/11/20 20:01:37
    wombat
    +1
    The contract is the property!!! Not the wife, she is screwing around anyways.

2014/09/02 16:56:10