Is It Worse for Teens to Smoke Pot or Cigarettes?

SodaHead Living 2012/06/11 18:00:00
Here's the good news: Fewer teens are smoking cigarettes. Here's the bad news: More of them are smoking pot. A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that only 18 percent of teens said they smoked a cigarette in the past 30 days, but 23 percent said they smoked marijuana in the same time frame.

teens pot

So why are adolescents choosing pot over cigarettes? A study from the University of Michigan found that teens have gotten the message that cigarettes are bad for you, but seem to believe marijuana is less harmful.

Alcohol, however, is still teens' top drug of choice. More than 1 in 3 high school students reported current alcohol use in 2011, and 1 in 5 high school students reported binge drinking, CBS reports. Do you think it's more dangerous for teens to smoke pot? Or cigarettes?

• Stoner 2012/06/11 18:08:41
    Cigarettes
    Stoner
    +40
    All causes of death per year 2,436,652

Cardiovascular diseases 779,367
    Malignant neoplasms 568,668
    Lack of Health Insurance3 44,789
    Drug induced2 37,485
    Suicide 36,547
    Motor vehicle accidents 36,284
    Septicemia (infections) 35,587
    by Firearms 31,224
    Accidental poisoning 30,504
    Alcohol induced 23,199
    Homicide 16,591
    Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) 9,424
    Viral hepatitis 7,652
    Cannabis (Marijuana) 0
    Major marijuana myth: pot use use can be a cause of death. So say many anti-drug warriors, such as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who recently wrote to a constituent that "marijuana and other narcotics" can lead to death.

PotleafAccording to Time magazine, "No one has ever died of THC [marijuana] poisoning, mostly because a 160-pound person would have to smoke roughly 900 joints in a sitting to reach a lethal dose."

In 1988, DEA Administrative Judge Francis Young concluded, "In order to induce death, a smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette."

• barby k... Efram Paul 2012/06/13 16:16:21
    barby karring
    Male dude' there are the tiny cigars you can buy like packs of cigatettes, that people actually inhale the smoke from.
  • Justin ... barby k... 2012/06/13 20:15:45
    Justin Teufel Hunden
    If you have a nice cigar I.E. Montecristo from Dominican Republic, 'fudge' it. I don't inhale but a tad bit. The nicotine from the cigar being in your mouth as long as it is does the nicotine fix. Just my preference for occasional tobacco high. Cigarettes are more than tobacco.
  • macaction 2012/06/12 22:41:54
    Cigarettes
    macaction
    +3
    I smoked both for over a decade. Cigarettes were addictive, nasty and pointless. Took me forever to quit and i still think about smoking (5 years later) every time i eat or have sex or get off work or leave the gym. All those moments that used to end with me smoking still trigger the want/need to smoke. With weed i crave the peace/joy of being high but if i dont have it i dont have it. When i turned 25 i lost my last "connect" and i haven't ever tried to find another one. When a joint shows up im the first one in line though.
  • Lana Riley-Brown 2012/06/12 22:39:15
    Pot
    Lana Riley-Brown
    +1
    Neither are as bad as drinking ! I did lots of grass in the 50's and I have smoked since I was 21 and now at 65 I am told that I have lungs of a baby. You need to roll your own since there is nothing that can cause you any harm
    If cigarettes were so bad why do most doctors as well as nurses smoke ? Pot has been around since before Washington but it was pure, so was the grass n the 60's Today it is cut with crap that will make you go crazy.

99 percent party.com
  • Efram Paul Lana Ri... 2012/06/13 01:46:54
    Efram Paul
    You are one of the lucky ones (and there are not very many). Rolling your own is at least as bad as smoking commercial cigarettes. Most of the danger is in the tobacco, not the additives. I knew someone who smoked into his late 60s, with no ill effects. But, a few years after he quit, all the damage he had inflicted on himself caught up with him, and he gasped for breath for the rest of his life, which was quite a number of years.
  • sami 2012/06/12 22:29:21
    Cigarettes
    sami
    +1
    I wish people did not drink or smoke pot but they do ... Cigarettes, will I watched my uncles drag around heavy bottles of oxygen ... One of them lost a lung ... I don't know ... My Mom just died two weeks ago at 94 and her brothers died in their mid to late 70's ... Her sister only made it to her early 70's ... She at least had a heart attack and went quick ... Their Mother did not smoke but the second hand smoke took her, she lived with my uncles ... We all die, but when you know something is going to take years off your life then why do it ... I don't do drugs or drink so I can't say don't do it to others ... I just wish they didn't because it is not all that good for people ... When you start with a little pot do you want to risk ruining your life ... Maybe it won't hurt you and maybe it will ...
  • heeheemee 2012/06/12 22:27:49
    Pot
    heeheemee
    I don't know. Alter my brain chemistry, or kill my lungs? I think I need a "both" option to vote for.
  • SamTheSlayer [Codename: Duc... 2012/06/12 22:23:39
    Cigarettes
    SamTheSlayer [Codename: Duchess]
    +3
    I'm a huge weed supporter, but I don't think teens should use it too much, just because their brains are still in that highly developing stage and what not.
    Though even with that, I say cigarettes are worse-- on basically every level.
    weed vs cigarettes
    Weed over cigarettes any day and every day.
  • BUDWARDDIDDLE 2012/06/12 22:21:24
    Pot
    BUDWARDDIDDLE
    +2
    Neither is good for you. I have smoked pot years ago. I now smoke cigarettes and I know I need to quit them too! I'd have to say both aren't good for you!
  • me BUDWARD... 2012/06/12 22:34:39
    me
    +2
    The clue here is that you smoked pot "years ago"...but now you smoke cigarettes and know you need to "quit" them too. Just do it like you quit pot, no problem, right? Wrong, of course. Cigarettes/tobacco are incredibly addicting at a biochemical level. Pot, is not.
    .
  • Philly B*star 2012/06/12 22:16:00
    Cigarettes
    Philly B*star
    +3
    For several years I smoked pot. My significant other also smoked cigarettes. The smell of cigarettes or rather the chemicals in them always nauseated me. I think it is truly more deadly to inhale dangerous, man made chemicals than the natural, sweet smell of pot.
  • Karl 2012/06/12 21:47:56
    Cigarettes
    Karl
    +1
    I'm not going to be one of those people extolling the virtues of pot, but personally if I had kids, I would much rather finding out about them smoking pot than finding out that they got themselves addicted to cigarettes.
  • ZeeOh6Nut 2012/06/12 21:38:37 (edited)
    Cigarettes
    ZeeOh6Nut
    +1
    I think the cigarette companies put toxic crap in them and that is the main reason. But the feeling of the effect of a cigarette lasts for all of seven minutes while the feeling of pot lasts for 6 or more hours depending on the individual. I think that would make one more likely to smoke more cigarettes and smoke them more frequently.
  • yoana 2012/06/12 21:37:37
    Pot
    yoana
    my opinion....
  • travis 2012/06/12 21:35:44
    Cigarettes
    travis
    +1
    Yea is this rly a question now or are people just bathed in ignorance an wraped in hypocrisy. I will answer my own question (full retard you never go full retard the usa is full retard)
  • Even Steven 2012/06/12 21:31:45
    Cigarettes
    Even Steven
    +5
    Never got addicted to pot and eventually stopped because of the hassle of getting it but it took me too many years to finally go cold turkey at 63. Ten years later I still want one but have held out and with a pack of Camels going for over $5,00 a pack now my cheapskateness always overcomes my former addiction.
  • LYNN MEYER 2012/06/12 21:30:07
    Cigarettes
    LYNN MEYER
    +2
    Marijuana has the same dangers of tobacco to the lungs. No one smokes three packs of marijuana a day. Lung cancer is curable. Esophageal cancer, caused by cigarettes, is the number one cause of death. Marijuana can be eaten as brownies or drank as a tea.avoiding the whole problem.
  • fitz LYNN MEYER 2012/06/15 14:18:05
    fitz
    I believe the Discovery channel had a few shows that covered the weed business in California and one of the points brought out by one of the 'businessmen' was that eating pot in various forms, which they supplied, is the way to go. I've tried it a few times but smoking it seems to be ingrained into our society, unfortunately.
    I disagree with you that cigarettes are about equal, on a one to one basis, to pot. Even smoking three cigs a day is dangerous because they are a known carcinogen. Also, lung cancer isn't really curable. I have a number of acquaintances who had lung cancer and no longer are alive after relatively short times.
  • dragonfliez 2012/06/12 21:27:30
    Cigarettes
    dragonfliez
    +1
    pure science.
  • BloodlessVeins 2012/06/12 21:26:12
    Cigarettes
    BloodlessVeins
    Cigarettes have a lot more 'poison', but Pot provides a messed up state of mind like alcohol. Do we need a 'no smoking pot and driving' campaign ad?
  • boltfox20 2012/06/12 21:23:37 (edited)
    Cigarettes
    boltfox20
    +1
    A third option would be nice. =\

I personally see them both as being harmful, so it's not "worse" for either of them. They are both just as bad. However, I chose cigarettes because they have worse side effects in the long run. Marijuana has worse side effects in the short term.

I would have to say, though, that no one has died from marijuana, making cigarettes, out of the two, the bigger threat.
  • george ! 2012/06/12 21:16:10
  • dzzshadz 2012/06/12 21:00:39
    Pot
    dzzshadz
    Both are bad for you clearly. Cigarettes are bad no doubt. Pot when smoked is 6 times as harsher on your lungs then Cigs. If the liquid form is used it has medicinal qualities. Cigs are more addictive then pot by far. I don't care for pot or cigs my self.
  • travis dzzshadz 2012/06/12 21:37:43
    travis
    That is not true that is compleate propaganda
  • GUY FAWKES dzzshadz 2012/06/14 04:01:23
    GUY FAWKES
    hahaha where the hell did you learn that?
  • dzzshadz GUY FAWKES 2012/06/15 17:01:22
    dzzshadz
    Research. Anytime you smoke anything you damage your lungs. That's a well known fact. Just use the liquid concentrate and have fun and kill some brain cells.
  • Gabriel Cabral 2012/06/12 20:58:50
    Cigarettes
    Gabriel Cabral
    +3
    There should be third answer "both of them". Cigarettes destroys your lungs while pot destroys your neurons. If you had to pick one of them pick the cigarettes because your lungs have the ability to regenerate and your neurons don't.
  • debzaranti 2012/06/12 20:55:45
    Cigarettes
    debzaranti
    +3
    I think cigarettes AND alcohol are much worse for teens to use than for them to smoke occasional (or even frequent) weed. Have never heard of anybody dying from lung cancer caused by smoking ONLY weed. Also have never heard of anybody dying from marijuana poisoning, can't say the same about alcohol poisoning! Maybe I'm a bad mother, but once my kids were 18 I told all 3 I'd much rather see them smoking weed to "feel good" than to drink alcohol. Unfortunate that both would be illegal for them (weed illegal all around and alcohol for under 21 year olds). I knew they were going to experiment with something anyway....better weed than booze.
  • sara 2012/06/12 20:52:49
    Cigarettes
    sara
    +2
    I think Pot & Cigarettes are bad for u. The new craz of Hooker bars are also dangerous. You can pick up some nasty germs if a hooka pipe isn't cleaned properly. Your body is a temple & God doesn't want u putting harmful substances in it whether it be cigarettes, Pot, Alcohol or other mind altering substances. God is able to clean anyone up who asks him & remove these addictions from our lives so we can live a life honoring his word
  • george ! sara 2012/06/12 21:20:19
    george !
    Hookah bars supply a sealed plastic mouth piece and they have to wash the pipe each time it is used or else it tastes bad. It's still bad for you but that's the facts.
  • jay 2012/06/12 20:51:32
    Pot
    jay
    Cigarettes kill you and it is stupid to smoke them. Pot makes you stupid so if you weren't already stupid for trying it you will be after you get stoned. What is so sad is how many people think it is "cool" or ok to smoke pot.
  • Sonic B... jay 2012/06/12 21:30:15 (edited)
    Sonic Boone
    +1
    But for argument's sake, let's say u are right in the statement that pot makes you stupid (which you are not, btw). Do you mean to say it is better to be dead than to be stupid? Obviously not, or you would have killed yourself already. *gameshow host grin* Haayooooo!!
  • jay Sonic B... 2012/06/13 21:33:59
    jay
    I guess you just proved my point since what you posted had nothing to do with saying that smoking pot was worse than being dead. And by the way...they have tested people after smoking pot and they clearly tested poorly compared to not stoned. Pot does in fact make you stupid. ....think about it...Cheech and Chong are only funny if you smoke pot.
  • Sonic B... jay 2012/06/14 00:20:08
    Sonic Boone
    +1
    To clarify your own argument. You answered that pot was worse than cigarettes. Then, you went on to say that cigarettes will kill you and pot will make you stupid. Therefore, if pot is worse than cigarettes, by your own argument it is better to be dead than stupid. ok, carry on...
  • jay Sonic B... 2012/06/23 17:43:56
    jay
    Not all cigarette smokers die. In fact very few do.....if someone smoked one or two cigarettes a day the affect would be less than one or two joints a day. And if someone smoked a couple dozen joints a day they probably would die from that too. Pot smoking is worse because it robs people of there reality. Cigarettes don't make people stupid like pot does.
  • travis jay 2012/06/12 21:42:31
    travis
    +1
    Umm u know thomas jefferson was stoned when he concptulized the words to describe an enforce freedom an liberty. [...]
  • jay travis 2012/06/13 21:37:07
    jay
    Bull
  • GUY FAWKES jay 2012/06/14 04:06:59
    GUY FAWKES
    No that's actually true information Thomas Jefferson has actually been quoted on growing weed too. Same as George Washington. Maybe if you did a little more research you'd know this.
  • jay GUY FAWKES 2012/06/23 16:49:48
    jay
    That he grew hemp is not the same as saying he got stoned when he worked on the constitution. Read what was posted and debated before you comment.
  • GUY FAWKES jay 2012/06/23 17:20:40
    GUY FAWKES
    My argument still stands it was actually some untold history that Thomas Jefferson used weed as a relaxant before attending the constitution meeting. The same reason why rock stars do it before shows, so they can be calmer before performing.

2014/04/18 10:50:21