Is It Worse for Teens to Smoke Pot or Cigarettes?

SodaHead Living 2012/06/11 18:00:00
Here's the good news: Fewer teens are smoking cigarettes. Here's the bad news: More of them are smoking pot. A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that only 18 percent of teens said they smoked a cigarette in the past 30 days, but 23 percent said they smoked marijuana in the same time frame.

teens pot

So why are adolescents choosing pot over cigarettes? A study from the University of Michigan found that teens have gotten the message that cigarettes are bad for you, but seem to believe marijuana is less harmful.

Alcohol, however, is still teens' top drug of choice. More than 1 in 3 high school students reported current alcohol use in 2011, and 1 in 5 high school students reported binge drinking, CBS reports. Do you think it's more dangerous for teens to smoke pot? Or cigarettes?

• Stoner 2012/06/11 18:08:41
    Cigarettes
    Stoner
    +40
    All causes of death per year 2,436,652

Cardiovascular diseases 779,367
    Malignant neoplasms 568,668
    Lack of Health Insurance3 44,789
    Drug induced2 37,485
    Suicide 36,547
    Motor vehicle accidents 36,284
    Septicemia (infections) 35,587
    by Firearms 31,224
    Accidental poisoning 30,504
    Alcohol induced 23,199
    Homicide 16,591
    Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) 9,424
    Viral hepatitis 7,652
    Cannabis (Marijuana) 0
    Major marijuana myth: pot use use can be a cause of death. So say many anti-drug warriors, such as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who recently wrote to a constituent that "marijuana and other narcotics" can lead to death.

PotleafAccording to Time magazine, "No one has ever died of THC [marijuana] poisoning, mostly because a 160-pound person would have to smoke roughly 900 joints in a sitting to reach a lethal dose."

In 1988, DEA Administrative Judge Francis Young concluded, "In order to induce death, a smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette."

• ancient... smitty 2012/07/27 04:14:11 (edited)
    ancientmath
    I strongly believe anarchy to be a myth. Societal laws take precedent over governmental laws. Society has changed, so should their government; lest they be ignored.
  • smitty ancient... 2012/07/27 14:28:29
    smitty
    So when society changes for the worse we change government for the worse? Anarchy is not a myth and could happen. How about we do a strongest will survive mode? No laws.. He/she who kills first stays alive.

Sounds like fun eh?
  • ancient... smitty 2012/08/28 10:01:26
    ancientmath
    I don't agree it's for the "worse". What is worse is allowing government to sanction and supply a deadly narcotic such as nicotine and the use of non-natural chemicals such as those used in cigarettes (designed to keep you smoking). Should we continue to let our government continue to kill us so 'it' can survive?

Societal law will always trump any form of anarchy, making it a fairy tale.
  • smitty ancient... 2012/08/28 12:59:27
    smitty
    The government doesn't supply nicotine. It is deadly only at specific milligrams. Others it is a mild narcotic similar to pot but very much more mild.
  • ancient... smitty 2013/08/12 23:20:43 (edited)
    ancientmath
    Subsidizes it; same thing. The industry would be dead if it were not for those (current) subsidizations. It's deadly,,,does it matter how much when it's at a milligram level of measure??
  • Hermes ancient... 2012/06/13 18:23:50
    Hermes
    Tobacco is in place because of lobbyists and a strong stance by users - even as they kill themselves.

Whether or not government tests continue, non-governmental tests do -- and they are not an unmitigated pot of support for Marijuana legalization, not by a long shot.

I do not support legalization of pot, never did -- I do support a method of using it for treatment of disease if it has positive helpful effects. In that case, it should be taxed or not taxed, the same as any other pharmaceutical.

It isn't special and it doesn't deserve to be treated as if it is.

Regards,

Reyn
  • ancient... Hermes 2012/06/18 16:07:32
    ancientmath
    I agree it isn't 'special'; but certainly a better alternartive to tobacco and/or alcohol. In fact, it can be used to wean those addicted to those two legal drugs....as you mentioned, supported by lobbyists that distort the truth; especially the one where supposed unmitigated support of legalization doesn't exist.
  • Papillon smitty 2012/06/12 17:01:14
  • smitty Papillon 2012/06/12 17:38:35
    smitty
    Well tobacco has toxins in it. Minute amount of toxins aren't always harmful. - depending on type. My guess the toxins in 3 cigarettes per day would be negligible.

Why I would like to see that type of study. All you and I are doing is guessing.

Quite frankly do you know anyone that leads a productive life that would smoke 40 joints the same amount of mary jane that a 2 pack a day smoke would smoke? I can imagine what the person would be like.. very very happy most of the time.
  • Singerar smitty 2012/06/13 07:22:40
    Singerar
    600 ingredients in Cigarettes. One in pot.

No, you would not have a productive life if you smoked 40 joints a day. You'd actually pass out after about 7 and take a long nap. You can't compare the two.
    Even 7 a day would be considered a pothead. MOST cannabis smokers don't want that. They want the right to get stoned like a person has a right to have a cocktail....on average.
    Liquor is much more harsh on your body.
  • smitty Singerar 2012/06/13 14:23:40 (edited)
    smitty
    I think it more like 3000 to 4000 in cigs. (sorry I should say 3-4k chemicals added)

You can't compare the two but you have too. Or at least that is what I am trying to do. It is not the ingredients from a joint but the smoke inhalation itself that kills your lungs. In tobacco it is both the ingredients and smoke that kills ya.

I am pass the legal debate on whether it should be legalized or not. This is pure smoke inhalation. The inhalation of any type of smoke is bad for your lungs. Same as sitting by a campfire made from a maple tree - that smoke inhalation is bad for too.
  • Papillon smitty 2012/06/13 15:41:10
  • smitty Papillon 2012/06/13 17:45:39
    smitty
    Marijuana smoke (if smoked like a cig create tar in the lungs) just like a normal cigarette. You don't have to agree with me, it is what it is.

My first statement is towards a tobacco cigarette. She mentioned ingredients.. I should have said chemicals. There are 3-4k chemicals added to a tobacco cigarette.

Congratulations on being heroin and tobacco free. I never was into drugs but am trying to kick my tobacco habit.

The only benefits that marijuana has is if you are suffering from an ailment that it can help relieve. Otherwise it is purely a recreational drug.
  • Papillon smitty 2012/06/14 16:32:13
  • smitty Papillon 2012/06/15 13:31:57
    smitty
    Some people are against them. Some are worried about a second hand buzz. I don't know. I didn't make the law. I just voted for the jackasses that make these laws, and so did you.

Why the heck to I have to pay 3.00 a pack in taxes on cigarettes?
  • Papillon smitty 2012/06/21 23:58:43
  • smitty Papillon 2012/06/22 13:49:57
    smitty
    Whether you care or not. I have not smoked a regular cigarette in a week now. So I saved 12-16 bucks in taxes because I would go through 3-4 packs a week.

I also have no urge to smoke one either.

Now I just need to find that dude's post and thank him profusely.
  • Jasmine smitty 2012/07/01 04:02:09 (edited)
    Jasmine
    The study, albeit not scientific, resides in history. And in Colorado, where we have legalized medical marijuana, it is not full of toxins and other nasty stuff. It is undeniably some of the best cannabis ever. Marijuana smoke does not contain tar or nicotine so doesn't even come close to cigarettes when assessing damage. There are some who believe the smoke is actually helpful for the lungs.

http://realitycheck.typepad.c...
    medical marijuana
  • smitty Jasmine 2012/07/02 13:39:04
    smitty
    Just so you know about nicotine. I can give more about nicotine if you so wish. It is similar to the THC in weed.

http://health.msn.com/health-...

The tar.. yes... it is nasty stuff. Tobacco in general is harmful. Nicotine though,, is a point of debate just like weed.
  • Papillon Stoner 2012/06/12 17:15:31
  • smitty Papillon 2012/06/12 17:46:55 (edited)
    smitty
    From what I know the castor bean is a gift from God as well. You don't see many people eating it. Or maybe a Hemlock.

Pretty plant huh? Make sure to wear gloves.

monkshood

Just because living things are gifts from God doesn't mean they won't kill you. God didn't make us to live forever.
  • Singerar smitty 2012/06/12 18:55:38
    Singerar
    Please provide a link where someone died from smoking pot.
  • smitty Singerar 2012/06/12 20:59:35
    smitty
    I don't have one. Never said I did. I stated that not everything given to us from God is healthy to us.
  • Singerar smitty 2012/06/13 07:24:30
    Singerar
    You can't compare pot and poison. There is good and bad in everything made...even by God.
  • smitty Singerar 2012/06/13 14:24:42
    smitty
    "There is good and bad in everything made...even by God." That is my point.

His point it was given by God and available from the bush. That point is irrelevant which I was trying to show.
  • Hermes Singerar 2012/06/14 03:58:01
    Hermes
    +1
    It is clear that Smitty is deconstructing the attempted argument that pot is good because its natural and "a gift from god" and nothing more. Your attempt to change his clear statement into something else shows your bias, not his.

As for your unspoken assertion, its based on the fact that THC is impossible to administer in lethal doses under normal circumstances. HOWEVER, there are provable negative health consequences from Marijuana (Polen MR, Sidney S, Tekawa IS, Sadler M, Friedman GD. Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco. West J Med 158(6):596–601, 1993.: Tashkin DP. Smoked marijuana as a cause of lung injury. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 63(2):92–100, 2005. etc.)

Actual fatalities directly from Marijuana= zero. Actual fatalaties directly from Tobacco= zero. Indirect fatalities from tobacco = approximately 600,000 per year in the US alone. Indirect fatalities from Marijuana= unknown, while studies have been done proving damage, no peer reviewed studies have been done even looking at death -- such a study would be very difficult to perform considering the legal ramifications - even the ones proving damage were difficult I believe.

It would be interesting to find out if the Dutch have done any studies on long term health -- does anyone read Dutch?

Regards,

Reyn
  • Papillon smitty 2012/06/13 15:42:14
  • Papillon smitty 2012/06/14 16:32:56
  • Stoner smitty 2012/06/12 14:15:36
    Stoner
    +1
    The study showed that lung function declined with increased exposure to tobacco smoke. However, that same pattern was not seen with marijuana smoke...also said this ,and those are legal crazy?
  • smitty Stoner 2012/06/12 14:20:49
    smitty
    +1
    "and a resulting need for caution and moderation when marijuana use is considered." That is from your article.

It seems that the study was conducted over a small time frame then extrapolated.

I never said that smoking cigs wasn't bad for you. I also stated smoking anything is bad for you.. particularly your lungs.
  • Stoner smitty 2012/06/12 14:27:22 (edited)
    Stoner
    +1
    everything is bad if abused..but i would rather smoke something that has been provben to help me then smoke something that has been proven to kill me
  • smitty Stoner 2012/06/12 14:51:32
    smitty
    Agreed. My point is there hasn't been testing on the long term effects of smoking weed like there has been on tobacco.
  • Stoner smitty 2012/06/12 14:30:09
    Stoner
    +2
    also said this
    Dr. Tashkin said he and his colleagues had found in their own research — unexpectedly — that even smoking up to three joints a day did not appear to cause a decrease in lung function. “I think that the bottom line is that there does not appear to be any negative impact on lung function of marijuana smoking,” he said, “and that therefore marijuana is not a risk factor for the development of C.O.P.D. Tobacco smoking is the most important risk factor for C.O.P.D.”
  • smitty Stoner 2012/06/12 14:53:30
    smitty
    3 is moderation. I would be interested to know what the effects of three low tar cigs would be.

Quite frankly most tobacco smoker smoke a pack a day. That's 20 smokes. That is over 6 times as many in the 3 example. Hardly a comparison to tobacco.
  • Stoner smitty 2012/06/12 15:07:52 (edited)
    Stoner
    +1
    i smoked camel filters for 27 years ...i quit feb29th 2012(leap year)i have not slowed down on good smoke and i have never felt better
  • smitty Stoner 2012/06/12 16:46:06
    smitty
    Congratulation for kicking that habit. I am on 25 years of smoking. I am down to around 3 smokes per day. 1 on the way into work. 1 on the way home and one during the evening.

I can feel the nicotine deprivation going through my body. It is getting easier to control.
  • Stoner smitty 2012/06/12 16:55:44
    Stoner
    dont give up ...have you ever hears of e cig?
  • smitty Stoner 2012/06/12 17:48:36
    smitty
    Yes I have. I am debating it but have heard some weird stuff about them. It is just water vapor, right?
  • Stoner smitty 2012/06/12 17:52:16
    Stoner
    yes,can choose nicotine on no nicotine
  • smitty Stoner 2012/06/12 17:59:04 (edited)
    smitty
    +1
    Now you peaked me.. Of topic for a bit.. if you know anything whats the difference between proprylene glycol and the vegetable base? Sorry.. dang I got to get some work done. Scratch the question figured it out. I may actually try this.

2014/04/19 22:42:50