Is it OK to be outspoken about your faith?

Daryl 2012/04/09 11:04:44
Yes, it's OK to be outspoken about your faith
No, it's not OK to be outspoken about your faith

Tim Tebow is outspoken about his faith and he is not making any apologies for it.

"A crowd of about 15,000 gathered on Sunday in a Texas megachurch to hear NFL player Tim Tebow speak at its outdoor Easter Sunday service.

The
New York Jets backup quarterback addressed the gathering at the
Celebration church in Georgetown, 20 miles north of Austin, at its
"Easter on the hill" service.

"It's OK to be outspoken about your faith,'' Tebow said.

Asked
what he thought needed to change culturally in America, he said, to
applause: "First and foremost [it] is what this country was based on:
one nation under God. The more that we can get back to that [the
better]."

Read More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/apr/08/tim-te...

• Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/04/09 12:56:24
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +9
    As an atheist, I have no problem with other people believing things I do not. Nor do I have a problem with their expression of those beliefs. It's when they take it upon themselves to use those beliefs to justify forcing (or even suggesting) I must also adopt those beliefs or certain tenants of those beliefs. That is when it becomes not OK.

• Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2012/05/07 01:26:47
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    You should teach what you believe.... if it is a good thing!
    Peace and Love, Barefoot♥
  • Brosia 2012/05/07 01:21:52
    Brosia
    +1
    However, being open and outspoken is different than browbeating everyone around you with it. Tim Tebow never denied that he is Christian, and he has never slapped anyone in the face with it. He does not (publicly) denounce people who are not Christian - as it should always be.
  • Teresa 2012/04/13 00:24:04
    Teresa
    +1
    Yes, freedom of speech but I also have the right to tell them to take their religion and shove it.
  • elijahin24 2012/04/12 15:50:49 (edited)
    elijahin24
    It's everyones right to be outsoken about anything. Certainly some things are more annoying, or offensive than others; and religion falls under that heading; but it is a right.
    That said, it would be preferable if the things about which we are outspoken, were true. His comment about "one nation under God" is utterly false. That didn't come along until the middle of the 1900's.
  • peggy 2012/04/11 04:51:53
    peggy
    +2
    Why not? Powerful testimony.
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/04/10 17:14:31
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +1
    It's not just okay; it's necessary to adhere to your religious beliefs
  • Batman 2012/04/10 12:54:12
    Batman
    +1
    time and place for everything
  • Kibbles 2012/04/10 10:28:14
    Kibbles
    +1
    I classify myself as a love catholic, kinda believe in kindness and love. Silly and insipid but it's what I believe.
  • Morgan 2012/04/10 05:03:26
    Morgan
    +1
    ..Since when is it not OK?
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2012/04/10 03:36:57
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    And it's also okay for me to slam the door in your face or turn the channel whenever your face appears on the screen and think you're a giant douche bag.
  • lyle 2012/04/10 02:21:39
    lyle
    +1
    sure its ok, ...but people who don't 'get' what God is think you're crazy
  • angel face 2012/04/10 02:18:31
    angel face
    +1
    I find it very disrespectful to be so outspoken that you try to force religion down peoples throats. I'm a christian but i dont go around telling people what they should and should not do with their lives
  • David K angel face 2012/04/10 03:21:39
    David K
    +3
    Even more disrespectful than that is hating people enough not to tell them the single most important and life saving truth: Jesus Christ is the only way. If you see someone about to be run over by a buss, are you going to stand there and let it happen? How much do you have to hate someone to believe without a savior they are certainly going to hell and not open your mouth. Let them be offended. Better to offend with love than be guilty of bloodshed. I share my faith with strangers and am constantly amazed at their response. What is it? They are touched. I don't have to tell them they are sinners, they tell me. I tell them I am one too. It's like having cancer and receiving the cure and not telling anyone what the cure is. You don't have to tell someone they are a liar. Ask them if they have lied. They will tell you. How is it disrespectful to offer a lost man hope or a dead man life? Sir, if you have no wish for others to be saved you are not saved yourself, be sure of that.
  • angel face David K 2012/04/10 03:37:58
  • David K angel face 2012/04/12 12:49:33
    David K
    +1
    I love atheists too. They are my favorite people to talk to. But if you claim that you are a Christian but that "God is not always the way for some people," you don't even believe the words that your god has spoken. If that is your take you are not a Christian. Not trying to be a dick. That's just what it is. You exalt the Jesus of your mind who saves everyone no matter what. You need to realize who your God is.
  • angel face David K 2012/04/12 18:30:22
  • David K angel face 2012/04/12 21:34:42
    David K
    My apologies. Wasn't trying to offend you. I completely agree no one should be forced to believe anything. That's the point of sharing your faith: to give people the opportunity to know truth and receive eternal life. If Christianity is not the only way to knowing God, which is everlasting life, it is a waste of time. I just happen to believe it and would gladly die proclaiming the words written in the Bible. I am aware I come across like a douche at times. It's just my way of trying to do all I can in an effort to save all that would even possibly believe. Once again, I do apologize. There is a way to share your faith without the idea of forcing it down someones throat.
  • angel face David K 2012/04/12 22:18:33
    angel face
    I talk about my faith. Thats not what I'm saying. Im saying that I dont go around, 24/7, talking about my faith and trying to make people understand. No, I dont read the Bible but I believe in God and heaven and that everyone will be forgiven. But I do support abortion, LGBT rights, death penalty, and many others but I've joined causes that support the world, dolphins, amazon rainforest. Yes, God is there but that doesnt mean most people will believe in him too
  • David K angel face 2012/04/12 22:36:53
    David K
    +1
    So what's the point of your faith? If everyone goes to heaven anyway, why believe? Why care? You are telling me that you believe the good parts of the Bible but don't care about anything else written in it. You can't take the savior and promises of the Bible and lose the rest seeing how the "bad" stuff is like half of book. That's like a cop telling you if you don't speed you won't get a ticket. Then, you speed and get a ticket and have a problem with getting pulled over, saying, "you promised not to give me a ticket." Jesus Christ didn't come to just to get you into heaven, he came to get you OUT OF hell. As for the other, didn't Jesus say "you are of more value than many sparrows"? I'd gladly slay every dolphin on the planet to save but one infants life. Burn a thousand trees to defend the helpless. Finish this statement: "It is OK to kill a baby in the mothers womb when..." What sense does this make: "save the trees and kill the children." Im fine with a woman doing what she wants with her body, but she has no right to snatch the life from the helpless body she carries that depends on her to survive.
  • angel face David K 2012/04/12 23:03:13
    angel face
    I didnt say I didnt care. I said I havent read it. Big difference. Read MORE SLOWLY before writing me a book on how you are this great person who tries and spreads the word. I dont give a monkeys toenail about your life. I said what I said. Didnt understand it? Tough skittles
  • angel face David K 2012/04/12 23:05:01
    angel face
    By the way, I would NEVER kill a dolphin over an infant. EVER. NEVER burn a living tree. Thats just downright horrible
  • David K angel face 2012/04/13 02:10:11
    David K
    If you cared you would read it. Whatever though I'm just pissing you off and you are getting me going on my life views. Look, I got no problem with you I'm just defending my faith. I don't care what people believe unless they claim to be of my faith at which point I'm accountable to my faith to say something if I hear something contrary to the word. Once again, my apologies for being a dick. Have a good one.
  • ℱ◎ґ℮√ℯя... David K 2012/04/14 01:07:09 (edited)
    ℱ◎ґ℮√ℯя Ṱ€✕ѦΣ
    Great point. Thank you.
    applause
  • rand 2012/04/10 01:36:41
    rand
    +1
    I'm seldom attacked for explaining that my faith is in reason. When ones faith in something is in denial of reality, like with a literal translation of the Bible denying evolution, it tells reasoning people something about that person. Transparency is good.
  • Donnie 2012/04/10 01:10:45
  • Odinsown 2012/04/10 00:11:46
    Odinsown
    +1
    It's ok to be outspoken, it is not ok to be violently fanatical.
  • No, it's not OK to be outspoken about your faith
    ✩Batman's✩Epic✩Understudy✩
    +1
    Oops, I meant to choose yes it's ok
  • Cellar Door 2012/04/09 22:44:44
    Cellar Door
    +1
    It's okay, but if someone starts forcing their beliefs on others then it gets annoying.
  • Rubyking 2012/04/09 22:35:07
    Rubyking
    +1
    it's stupid
  • JaknHarely 2012/04/09 22:16:22
    JaknHarely
    +1
    As long as it's not at work, or school You do have the right to free speech, Of course MANY people absolutely hate people for believing Jesus Christ is their personaly saviour so you should expect criticism for it. But the bible said that would happen and that you are blessed for it. Many hate people just because they believe in Creationism at all, You might even be hated for believing in Alien genetic alteration from apes, but realy if your afraid to talk about what you believe, why believe anything at all.
  • cynsity 2012/04/09 22:09:31
    cynsity
    +1
    what a silly question... is it okay to be outspoken about ANYTHING that you are proud of? I want someone to ask is it okay to be outspoken about being homosexual.... why is it ONLY religion that gets this scrutiny?
    If you are NOT outspoken about some aspect of your life perhaps you should take a moment to evaluate WHY and ask yourself is it because you are ashamed or embarrased by that aspect and then ask yourself if you can live without it... you might be happier..
    http://cynsitywriting.blogspo...
  • ג'סיקה Ihre führer 2012/04/09 21:23:45 (edited)
    ג'סיקה Ihre führer
    +1
    At least not on here. I say I'm a Satanist... BAM! 50 replies from haters.
  • LuLu Ca... ג'סיקה ... 2012/04/09 21:47:23
    LuLu Cappuccino
    +1
    Than that's the risk you take. I've gotten plenty of hate messages because I'm Christian, and I know people who've been beaten up physically and emotionally for their beliefs, but by refusing to express those beliefs out of fear only gives your enemies the power to control you. Don't be afraid, maybe just be a positive influence.
  • ☠ Live ... ג'סיקה ... 2012/04/10 03:40:01
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    You're a satanist? wth?
  • ג'סיקה ... ☠ Live ... 2012/04/10 03:41:14
    ג'סיקה Ihre führer
    Here we go again... Hello hater. :D
  • ☠ Live ... ג'סיקה ... 2012/04/10 03:44:40
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    Sorry, that's just not what I was expecting. :/ I thought 666 Maggots was just a shout out to Slipknot. (One of my favorite bands, BTW) And I have no place to judge. I've got kooky ideas about God myself (And considered becoming a Jew), and half of the bands I like are satanist. :P
  • ג'סיקה ... ☠ Live ... 2012/04/10 03:52:38
    ג'סיקה Ihre führer
    Meh, I was raised by Jews... Don't follow that path...
  • ☠ Live ... ג'סיקה ... 2012/04/10 03:58:48
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    Really? That's cool. My family is all agnostic. Kinda boring. I mean, It would be cool if my family were SOME religion. I always envied kids who had church (temple, mosque, whatever) and traditions. We just have birthdays. :/
    I believe in God, but I also think that Jesus Christ was nothing more than a man. That's really the only way my beliefs fall in line with Jeudaism.
  • ג'סיקה ... ☠ Live ... 2012/04/10 04:00:32
    ג'סיקה Ihre führer
    +1
    Agh it's all bipolar, sadistic crap to me... But... Yeah.. That's cool.
  • ☠ Live ... ג'סיקה ... 2012/04/10 04:07:09

2014/04/25 08:23:03