Is it OK to be Gay? Why?

xscd 2009/02/11 23:02:51
As more and more people know someone who is gay or lesbian (a family member or friend for example), and because gays and lesbians can be seen within society looking and acting pretty much like everybody else, it seems society is beginning to accept them as just another part of a diverse society. Is this good? Bad? Neither? Not sure?

lesbian family member friend lesbians gay accepted simply diverse society

• Tariq 2009/02/22 13:45:07 (edited)
    Tariq
    +12
    My view is that the question is not if it is okay to be gay but what should be the response of straight people to other people being gay.
    In the first place, there is one's emotional response, what is sometimes called your gut reaction. Mine is pretty bad, I find "flaming" gays offensive, I find public or photographic displays of gay affection unpleasant, I find confrontational gay rights advocates alienating. But I am old and most younger people do not have such negative feelings.
    Secondly, there is one's personal experience with gays. I have found them to be conscientious, capable co-workers. I have found them to be law-abiding, non-violent citizens. Macho straight males are the offenders in almost all cases where there is an injured victim. I worked in a county jail for eight years with all types of people with all types of offenses. The gays I saw were almost always arrested for male prostitution. I do not regard the "straight" men who used these gays for oral sex (and paid for it) as victims. The macho straight men were in for many reasons, but they included murder, rape, wife abuse, child abuse and violent robbery. The only man charged with molesting boys I dealt with was a babysitter who repeatedly raped a little girl he was supposedly looking after. When she ...

Secondly, there is one's personal experience with gays. I have found them to be conscientious, capable co-workers. I have found them to be law-abiding, non-violent citizens. Macho straight males are the offenders in almost all cases where there is an injured victim. I worked in a county jail for eight years with all types of people with all types of offenses. The gays I saw were almost always arrested for male prostitution. I do not regard the "straight" men who used these gays for oral sex (and paid for it) as victims. The macho straight men were in for many reasons, but they included murder, rape, wife abuse, child abuse and violent robbery. The only man charged with molesting boys I dealt with was a babysitter who repeatedly raped a little girl he was supposedly looking after. When she got old enough to defend herself, he moved on to her two younger brothers until the girl reported him. He in no way considered himself gay, he was just an opportunist child molester. Of the men who preyed on little girls, I particularly remember a big, tough, muscled man who raped a seven year old girl and then tried to kill her three ways. Many of the men I worked with in the jail were drug-dealing pimps who kept young women as sex-slaves by giving them cocaine. Between them and the many men who could not understand why they had been arrested for non-payment of child support, I came to have a pretty dismal image of straight men. If I were asked which I think is the better human being, the average straight man or the average gay man, I would have to say I think the average gay man is better.
    Taking the issue of acceptance versus discrimination as the third point, I think each case needs to be looked at separately, on its own merits. I sympathize with Boy Scout groups that do not want gay scoutmasters taking boys camping. But I honestly think the boys are more likely to be molested by someone whois thought to be straight than they are by an openly gay man. My gay friend who is a special education teacher working with kids who are extremely uncooperative and have no interest in learning anything in school is more patient and tolerant than I (a straight male) could ever be. As I have said before, which would you rather have next to you, praying with you, in church, masjid or synagogue, a law-abiding homosexual in a committed monogamous relationship or a straight pimp.
    My fourth issue is gay marriage. I say it does not matter whether one approves of gay marriage or not, one still should support legalizing gay marriage. If gays can adopt and raise children, I would prefer that the children be given the security and stability of a family based on marriage. Also, promiscuity (in either gays or straights) spreads disease, including HIV-AIDS. If marriage can help make people more faithful and less promiscuous, then we should encourage gay marriage for public health reasons. Even a small decrease in disease transmission could save millions of dollars in taxes.
    So my position is we should recognize gay rights and legalize gay marriage because it will benefit us. Try looking at prohibition (outlawing alcoholic beverages) to see what happens when we try to prohibit large numbers of people from doing what they are going to do anyway. It does not work, it criminalizes large numbers of otherwise law-abiding citizens, and it seriously erodes respect for the law. If I were the Creator, I would make people so they would never want to be homosexual, but since people do want to be gay, I will support gay rights and gay marriage out of pragmatic self-interest.
    If you are interested, I have written articles on homosexuality and gay marriage from a Muslim viewpoint. They are at Introduction to Islam and Islam and Homosexuality

• tiffany turner 2013/04/05 23:38:20 (edited)
    No, it's not OK to be gay because ...
    tiffany turner
    +4
    The bibacal name god uses for Homosexuals is Dog and sobdomites..

God says not to bring any whore, sodomite, or dog into the house of the Lord. For "these things are an abomination to the Lord." 23:17-18. If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed a abomination and shall be surely put to death, their blood is upon them. Leviticus 20:22-13. God says its a sin abomination. If he wanted you that way he would've gave you a different sex orgin. You cannot make children that way and that is what god wants. If the whole world is gay we would all die because we could not reproduce. A lot of homosexuals say they are made this way. That is like saying god made a mistake. God doesn't make mistakes. Homosexuals say why would they make themselves gay. You didn't. God might have out that in your head to test you. God gave everyone the desire to sin. So having attraction to the same sex isn't bad. But acting upon the desire and being gay is bad. If you sin and don't stop and ask for forgiveness, you will go to hell. Good luck to all the Homosexuals who tell us to let you be who you are.
  • MDMA tiffany... 2013/04/09 00:32:46
  • Rights tiffany... 2013/05/16 04:40:30
    Rights
    Hey Tiffany, I worked on the Sabbath last week. Does a nice stoning sound in order? Or do you not believe in that part of the Bible, just the parts that fuel your hate-fire.
  • Georgia 2012/12/17 20:42:01
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    Georgia
    +1
    I came out 2 and a half years ago and it's hard enough trying to accept it yourself without other people hating on you for it. No one chooses to be gay, no one says "oh, I think I'll make my life a little harder by becoming gay." No. Just no.
  • D.C.Verdone 2012/07/26 15:42:17
    D.C.Verdone
    +1
    Live and let live. I don't care one way or another, you are a person to me no matter your sexual orientation.
  • katie 2012/07/25 21:46:40
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    katie
    +1
    I'm ok with all love. Love is love, and thats it.
  • Jakob M... katie 2012/12/02 16:36:09
    Jakob Michael Martin
    +10
    I agree, but I do think its a bit stange...
  • katie Jakob M... 2012/12/02 17:39:07
    katie
    How so? (Just curious)
  • PandoraBoxe 2012/07/25 20:37:29
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    PandoraBoxe
    +1
    hmmmm, are you homophobic? you should not be. it is just a natural thing that happens. we are not in control of who we fall in love with or what turns us on. gay is ok!
  • JDLogan 2012/07/25 19:55:43
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    JDLogan
    +1
    What happens between and among consenting adults is their own business.
  • MDMA 2012/07/25 19:39:56
  • reaper 2012/07/25 18:50:29
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    reaper
    +2
    they help keep overpopulation from happening and they adopt and take care of our unwanted kids.
  • Incognito 2012/07/25 17:23:47
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    Incognito
    +1
    It is definitely good. Being gay is just like being heterosexual, except a different gender is desired. You are either born that way or not. You do not 'become' gay.
  • The Impossible Girl ✿ 2012/07/25 14:38:28
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    The Impossible Girl ✿
    +2
    Of course it is.
    Why? 'Cause sexual orientation doesn't define who people are.
    It's only love. Why are people so afraid of it? Why are people so hateful towards it?
  • Thomas Rea: Gay Christian A... 2012/07/25 10:00:07
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    Thomas Rea: Gay Christian Advocate
    +1
    We are born this way.To me its natural to be w guy than a female.
  • rustex782 Thomas ... 2012/07/25 16:04:13
    rustex782
    +2
    i chose to be gay 6 months ago. it was horrible at first. . i would puke and have headaches and cut myself cause i hated it so much. but i kept trying and trying at it until i liked being gay. now im great at it.
  • Thomas ... rustex782 2012/07/25 16:16:47
    Thomas Rea: Gay Christian Advocate
    You really choose or born? I know now I am gay, but did not had help to realize i am gay.
  • rustex782 Thomas ... 2012/07/25 16:17:59
    rustex782
    +1
    i was just kidding. i was trying to show how absurd it is to say its a choice
  • Thomas ... rustex782 2012/07/25 16:24:22
    Thomas Rea: Gay Christian Advocate
    I know how it can sound. Did my came that way?
  • Latricia Thomas ... 2012/11/06 15:25:38
    Latricia
    +2
    God's word say's that homosexuality is unnatural, perversion, an abomination, fornication, vile affections, and a great sin against Him. He states any sexual act outside of marriage is adultery (hetro or homosexual). Sex is to be between man and woman within marriage. I'm not trying to hate on you I'm just putting the truth out. Lean not own your own understanding.
  • Georgia Latricia 2012/12/03 05:51:52
    Georgia
    +10
    Are words in a story book the best you can do? I believe Jesus existed and there is no written proof he said anything about lgbt people. That's a pathetic debate against homosexuality.
  • tiffany... Georgia 2013/04/05 23:46:03
    tiffany turner
    +2
    Well try saying that to god when you go to hell. God says it, I believe it, that settles it. You are gay, you are going against god and nature!
  • Rights tiffany... 2013/05/16 04:28:38
    Rights
    Nature strongly enforces homosexuality as it occurs not just in the human race but in the animal kingdom. And, honestly, I would rather spend an eternity in hell with the people I love rather than live in the clouds with people like you. Disgusting.
  • Pam 2012/07/25 09:30:14
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    Pam
    +2
    Why should someone go through life unhappy and depressed for fear of offending family and friends. If you are truly loved, they will love all parts of you.
  • Ira 2012/07/25 01:44:33
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    Ira
    +2
    ...one is born that way.
  • tiffany... Ira 2013/04/08 01:54:40
    tiffany turner
    +1
    Let me clarify for you on why your not !!!!
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2012/07/24 21:10:18
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    Simply b/c there is no reason why it wouldn't be ok. Not harming anyone. It's just love.
  • watusiwaldo 2012/07/24 19:49:10
    watusiwaldo
    I don't know because I'm not gay.
  • Bastion 2012/07/24 18:40:13
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    Bastion
    +3
    Being a human is OK.
  • Skylaris Alanis 2012/07/24 17:45:30
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    Skylaris Alanis
    +2
    IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER
  • jay 2012/07/24 17:15:45
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    jay
    God gives us all free will. Even to chose things he does not or other people dont agree with.

I dont support gay marriage and am moderate on civil unions because I beleive in free will.

People can chose to be whatever that want. That is what is great about being in a free country.
  • Singerar 2012/07/24 16:57:15
    Yes, it's OK to be gay because ...
    Singerar
    +1
    Because people have been Gay for CENTURIES!! It's part of human nature. Get over it!
  • tiffany... Singerar 2013/04/05 23:53:49 (edited)
    tiffany turner
    +1
    Yeah and god destroyed the cities Sodom and Gomarrah because there were so many homosexuals. Read the bible every once in a while. Being gay is a sin. I wish I could abuse you with the bible and knock some holiness into you.
  • Rights tiffany... 2013/05/16 04:34:40
    Rights
    So being a certain sexual orientation that you have no control over is considered sin? And excerpts from the Bible also say that it is a sin to work on the sabbath, to plant different seeds in the same field, wear garments woven from different string. (shall I go on?) The fact is, if you're going to preach and dictate people's lives using the Bible as your alibi, then preach it as a whole. You can't just pick and choose the things that you like, the Bible isn't subway.
  • JJ 2012/07/24 16:45:57
    JJ
    You know, I would like to ask the gays why they think its okay to be gay. Why do you feel its okay to be gay?
  • rustex782 JJ 2012/07/25 16:10:42
    rustex782
    +2
    because its natural for gays to exist, there's nothing we can do about it, its not hurting anyone, and we don't judge people getting married over and over and over again, or judge people having premarital sex, PDA, single mothers, crazy lude str8 behavior at parties and parades, and straight kink sex.
  • JJ rustex782 2012/07/25 16:44:51
    JJ
    +2
    It's natural for you to exist as a human being as it is the rest of us, as God created you as well as us. You all say there's nothing you can do about it. Could I prevent hurting someone or is there nothing I can do about it? We all have to make choices, which means, we can do something about it. Is it going to be easy...no. Are we going to fail at times when we're trying to make positive changes...yes. The whole key here, is TRYING to do something about it...trying!
    You say its not hurting anyone, but it is. Its hurting children that see it and wonder to their parents if it normal, when they know they have a mother and a father. It hurts God, knowing you are his child and he said not to do it. It has hurt parents that have children that are homosexual and they have to change their lives and thoughts around because of it.
    Believe it or not, there is a reason for this happening to you and many others, and yes it is because of sin. And no, its not all your fault [ unless you continue doing it ], but the fault lie in the past. I don' t know if you know your bible or not, but if you do, there is a scripture in there that explaines what has come about because of sin. And it came down through the generations of families. I will be glad to show you that scripture if you want, and y...
    Believe it or not, there is a reason for this happening to you and many others, and yes it is because of sin. And no, its not all your fault [ unless you continue doing it ], but the fault lie in the past. I don' t know if you know your bible or not, but if you do, there is a scripture in there that explaines what has come about because of sin. And it came down through the generations of families. I will be glad to show you that scripture if you want, and you can ponder its meaning.
    Those that are doing wrong and have made some big mistakes, as you mentioned, will be judged for that unless they change. Does what they are doing, make what you are doing any less sinful or wrong? All of us are doing many things wrong, but we all can change that too. The idea is to try and change and with an attitude of wanting to. That's the key to Gods kingdom.
  • rustex782 JJ 2012/07/25 16:54:38
    rustex782
    +3
    You obviously are completely uneducated on this subject. I'm not even going to bother dignifying this multilevel stack of ignorance with a response
  • JJ rustex782 2012/07/25 19:38:39
    JJ
    Fine.
  • morris44 JJ 2012/07/25 19:32:36
    morris44
    +3
    This is just wrong:
    "Its hurting children that see it and wonder to their parents if it normal, "

It is normal. All animal species, including humans, have homosexual individuals. Look it up. Are gay animals in "sin"?

Normal, if you do not know, is a statistical term. People have bastardized the term to mean something more, as in "acceptable".

But, statistically, it is not normal to be over 6'5". Does it hurt children to see men of this height? Using your logic it would, since it's not "normal".

2014/11/23 07:33:07