Is it child abuse to spank your child's bare butt with a belt?

Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201 2008/06/27 02:29:23
My son is pushing me to the edge of insanity.

• SunShine 2008/06/27 02:53:24
    SunShine
    +10
    yes.. a belt is made of leather and it leaves bruising and welts.. and sometimes hits where it shouldnt.. find a different way..I believe that there are better ways to discipline children when they are older.. when young a pat on the butt or fingers is ok..I was abused as a child and shudder to think of belts..

• True~Male janeand... 2010/11/12 21:16:01 (edited)
    True~Male
    +1
    Amen --they should sell BELTS just for spanking children --Wouldn't that be a great money maker --Child strap for sale : $10.99
  • Brandy ... True~Male 2013/09/14 18:37:21
    Brandy Koester
    LOL..You should start your own business! you could also sell tree branches for whipping and handcuffs so the little nasty things cant move or run away. You probably beat your dog into submission too so maybe you can incorporate some dog abusing devices with some child abusing devices. You can call the store Child Submission. Your so funny the way you talk about using tools to beat children...LOL!
  • Ali janeand... 2011/09/25 18:53:56
    Ali
    +3
    you are wrong there, I have been spanked with a belt, in return I am afraid of my father. It all depends if the parent can control their temper. A lot of kids today have been phsically injured by a parent, that is why they act as they do. Alcohol is a major coponent. I know at least a third of my class has been struck by a parent. In my opinion punish your kid, but not out of anger.
  • Ritchie... Ali 2012/05/11 21:07:45
    Ritchie Masters
    +1
    Well you cant do it out of kindness they wont take you seriously and yes having some fear of your father is needed but not to the point where you hide from them even when they do good my kids love me either way and know im not the one 2 mess around with. They listen about 90% of the time and my wife never unless im around think about it why would you listen to somebody if theres no reason to?
  • Hannah Ali 2013/11/02 14:28:15
    Hannah
    were you being punished?
  • Brandy ... janeand... 2013/09/14 18:26:07
    Brandy Koester
    Well if they have been doing for centuries I guess it's okay. So many backwards ignorant people who are parents....YOU are part of the reason as far as what is wrong with today's world. The world is changing get with the times old woman...child beating is not cool.
  • wow 2009/12/27 16:17:34
    wow
    +1
    WOW!!!!! Who ever said it is not abuse needs to seak counciling. Especially the person who needs a black eye for saying it is not bad to give a child a black eye. I don't understand why God put people like to on this earth.
  • Denny wow 2010/01/15 07:37:56
    Denny
    There is no God to begin with, but even if there were, a few swats on the butt with a belt is hardly comparable to a black eye. BTW you may be taken more seriously if you learn how to spell words like "whoever", "seek", and "counseling".
  • thecyni... Denny 2011/04/30 19:18:55 (edited)
    thecynicalangel
    +2
    Even the devil believes in God. It goes either way.
    Anyway, spelling has little to do with the matter at hand. But if you really must, it's 'whomever', not 'whoever'.
    Have you ever felt the sting of a belt across tender flesh? I sure as hell hope you haven't. Besides, spanking/belting children is the lazy way to go. This type of 'discipline' teaches fear, not respect. Does any parent want their child to cut ties with hem when they are older, just because said parent abused him or her?
  • Ritchie... thecyni... 2012/05/11 21:28:25
    Ritchie Masters
    +1
    No its not lazy its only right and both fear and respect are needed not one or the other theirs a difference in spanking/belting and beating you have them mixed up and are over exaggerating cutting ties with your family over that? Thats like never talking to your mom again because she got mad at you.
  • Ali Denny 2011/09/25 18:58:36
    Ali
    +2
    if their was no God, then why does anyone care or have an opinion. Why do we have wrong or right? If there was no God I wouldn't go to school, I wouldn't do as anyone asked, in turn I would do what I wanted, We would all be like animals. No one cares if a wolf kills one of its own. So why any different for humans? Because we are made in God's image, and have a wrong and right.
  • Denny Ali 2011/11/13 06:54:03
    Denny
    You said "*I* wouldn't go to school", "*I* wouldn't do as anyone asked", "*I* would do what I wanted." I'll take your word for it. Don't assume that everyone else has standards as low as yours.

And as for "We would all be like animals"--we are, in fact, animals.
  • Ritchie... wow 2012/05/11 21:19:20
    Ritchie Masters
    +2
    I agree with the black eye thing ppl who do that should be put in jail but 2 say ppl need counseling for thinking spankings is not abuse??? I don't buy that for a minute i use to get beat with hangers wires sticks cooking ware and thats abuse but i still came out a good person no arrests no jail time respectful of others and i still love my parents so don't sit here and say i need counseling because you obviously dont know what your talking about. If you can get your child 2 come out right without discipline good for you but most kids wont.
  • ABEL 2009/12/09 22:05:00
    ABEL
    +1
    I think if you deserve to get your bare butt whooped you should get it hard?
  • spankedcp 2009/11/05 10:09:21
    spankedcp
    +3
    No, it is definately not abuse.

I was spanked bare bottom with a belt and other implements as well as the hand.

It was the belief of my parents and others who I received spankings from that spankings should only be administered publicly, on the bare bottom commencing with the hand then using one or more implements. It was their belief that a proper spanking should result in a bright red bottom, including some welts or bruising from implements.

I was regularly spanked to this result and never felt abused. I always just considered it typical punishment. I also spank in the same way as my parents did.
  • miranda spankedcp 2009/12/22 04:51:31
    miranda
    Publicly spanking a kid's bare ass is not only physical abuse, it's sexual abuse, even if the intent is not sexual.
  • Denny miranda 2010/01/15 07:38:36
    Denny
    BS, and no state law agrees with your interpretation.
  • miranda Denny 2010/02/15 20:15:54
    miranda
    Forcing a kid to publicly expose themselves is sexual abuse. While courts are reluctant to intervene in these situations, something like this could be taken to court.
  • Denny miranda 2010/02/27 21:02:08
    Denny
    And it would be very unlikely to result in a conviction for anything. Perhaps we are interpreting the word "public" differently though. I had in mind, in the living room in front of family members, not in a store or park or something.
  • miranda Denny 2010/02/28 18:28:38 (edited)
  • Ali spankedcp 2011/09/25 19:00:07
    Ali
    +2
    Yes, but do you do it out of love. You do it because you want your kids to grow to be respectable people, you don't do it out of anger do you?
  • JCD aka "biz" 2009/11/01 19:38:26
    JCD aka "biz"
    Yes, and it should be punished by the law, actually is in more and more countries.
  • Tobee 2009/10/31 01:47:06
    Tobee
    +2
    No, it's not.
    A bruise or a welt is not going to hurt anything.
    If a child is really bad, a black eye will not scar them for life, just teach them the lesson they need.
    I do believe people are too harsh about what they consider "child abuse".
    A time out teaches nothing.
    A bruise does, after a few times.
  • JCD aka... Tobee 2009/11/01 19:44:26
    JCD aka "biz"
    A "black eye", really? Also, according to your profile, you are 25, and you have two 13 year-old children, sounds strange.
  • Tobee JCD aka... 2009/11/02 01:40:52
    Tobee
    I don't care what you think, you're a random stranger from the Internet. ;)
  • JCD aka... Tobee 2009/11/19 18:32:22
    JCD aka "biz"
    You don't care what I think? I am truly devastated.
  • Ali Tobee 2011/09/25 19:19:16
    Ali
    +1
    You hit your kids out of rage. You have alot of pent up anger. You always seem frustrated. You are constantly having to lie to yourself, reasurring what you do is ok. Never really had a good childhood. Listen to yourself. I can feel your anger from your words on the internet. Should mother be so angry. Be happy because you have kids. They are gifts. I'm guessing you drink as well. You are angry because of your past, but its not your kids fault. Show them your love. They dont have a Father, At least let them have a mother. WAKE UP! they are your children. A black eye?! Are you kidding me! You say it so boldly, you do this to also reassure yourself, do you like your children's tears. You are also important. Breathe and know that you arnet agaist the world on your own. You and your children are so important and precious! Know this, and look at things differently. Treat your kids and yourself with better care. You are young. Turn around before thing collapse around your feet. You love them right. Make them your world, and think of them first. Good Luck!!
  • JayLindsey Tobee 2010/06/10 23:59:43
    JayLindsey
    +1
    I know my spelling is bad so don't waste your time. A black eye is so wrong please don't do that it is sad to think a child would have to endure that I do spank but not out of anger and it is done in privet unless my wife is there and if I get mad I do not spank I ask my wife to take over. I love my children with all my hart and spanking them hurts me only because I have to resort to discipline not just normal communication but please I beg you don't hit the child in the face or in public do it in privet with love and tell the child you love them and this is only a punishment that will happen again if this behavior continue
  • Ali Tobee 2011/09/25 19:05:01
    Ali
    +3
    you think hitting a child is ok? My Aunt and Uncle never spanked their children when they were youn. All of their kids we never "hit" and they are kind gentle people at the top of their class, and they respect others. If this can happen without hitting, then why do it? I'm guessing either you were hit alot as a child our you hit your kids, if you have any, and are trying to justify yourself.
  • elizabethbath0ry 2009/10/06 22:00:03
    elizabethbath0ry
    +5
    I dont think a spanking should leave marks on a child.
  • JCD aka... elizabe... 2009/11/01 19:41:56
    JCD aka "biz"
    I agree, elizabethbathOry, but I think your alias is a bit frightening.
  • elizabe... JCD aka... 2009/11/03 14:34:15
    elizabethbath0ry
    i have had that name for so long now that i forget that she was a murderer ... laughs
  • *~*Mizz Behavedl*~* 2009/07/30 02:01:20
    *~*Mizz Behavedl*~*
    I think spanking is an acceptable form of punishment but not bare bottom with a belt. My mom would make us wear shorts instead of jeans though to make sure we felt the belt.
  • ladylazarus 2009/07/29 23:09:52
    ladylazarus
    As a parent, I find myself in very murky territory when it comes to telling other people how to discipline their children...but to me, spanking your child with any sort of foreign object is inappropriate. I'm not going to call it abuse because I can think of plenty of behaviors that are a lot more abusive-- even degrading and possibly dangerous.

While I personally was never even spanked with a hand, I know plenty of people that were beaten with belts and other objects. Some of them behaved because of it, some didn't. Yet I can honestly say that I don't know a single person who was hit with things who isn't seriously resentful of their parent[s] and vows never to do that to their own kids.
  • Russ 2009/07/29 22:47:37
    Russ
    +4
    A swat on the butt is needed at times - Thats why there is good padding there :)

Your an adult, s/he is a child. Your arm is has more than enough strength to punish (spank). I don't believe a foreign object (belt, etc) is ever needed. These can cause irreversible harm. One to three good swats with your hand should get the "I'm not joking" point across.
  • Wayne M 2009/07/23 21:59:27
    Wayne M
    +2
    yes, make sure the kid has some clothes before you hit them with a belt, and always remember THAT SHIT HURTS... and everything hurts more without clothing on. In this current topic it hurts too much without a belt
  • krista 2009/06/23 14:37:27
    krista
    +4
    just as long as you are in control, and don't leave marks. Kids need to be disciplined! Today's children have no respect for their parents or other adults. I prefer the hand, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • medarlin~xanax goddess~ 2009/06/23 05:12:08
    medarlin~xanax goddess~
    +3
    Ok Jer, you asked!

We spank. We don't whup or beat, we swat or spank. The idea is to get their attention and let them know you're serious. Then I'll tell you, we don't use our hands, we use a wooden spoon. This is because my husband was beaten as a child, and will still flinch at a hand that comes too close to his face. He can't stand the thought of his children flinching at his hand. Yes, his ex-wife has brought it up in court as well as with Child Protective Services. We were told it's ok to spank as long as there's no make after 20-30 minutes.

I honestly have to tell you, I believe kids these days are rotten and need a good spanking (for the most part). When I spend the day at the elementary school I can't believe how some of these kids treat the teachers. I know I could never put up with it myself.

Just remember, if done right, with love behind it, you're doing him a favor.
  • Russ medarli... 2009/07/29 22:51:42
    Russ
    I believe you have alot more control of the forces involved when using your hand than a belt or spoon
  • Kyra 2009/06/23 01:35:55
    Kyra
    +2
    I meant to answer yes. Pulling your kids pants down to inflict pain is a insane way to punish a child.

2014/09/30 06:01:35