Is 'hugging' inappropriate behaviour at school?

NakedWombat 2010/01/27 06:58:10
No - Australia is one emotionally retarded country
Yes - it leads to sex consensual or not
My eldest child started her first day at high school today. When she came home, we were advised that the school forbids all types of contact between students including the holding of hands and hugging.

In Australia, there has been a recent waves of Conservatism where schools forbid students from giving each other hugs. There has even been a student suspended for hugging a friend at school was upset and crying. She hugged her friend to provide emotional support yet the powers that be allow schools to forbid this form of support.

Considering that schools encourage students to use condoms, isn't it disturbing to ban hugs?

Do you believe that consensual hugging should be banned at school?

encourage students condoms disturbing ban hugs consensual hugging banned school

• mUsicXEmOXcrAZ 2010/02/03 16:20:18
    mUsicXEmOXcrAZ
    Hell no! My friend matt walks up and hugs me from behind all the time! he's not meh boyfriend. we just like hugsss. It aint gunna lead to any sex! GOD!
  • hippietim 2010/01/31 01:22:12
    hippietim
    +1
    No offense meant 2 individual Aussies, but hugs are essential 2 my emotional well being!

Timothy offense meant 2 individual aussies hugs essential 2 emotional timothy

:o)
  • NakedWo... hippietim 2010/01/31 03:28:09
    NakedWombat
    I feel like organising a few coach loads or train loads of addicted huggers to these schools and set them loose on the school staff.
  • debadow 2010/01/28 10:46:59
    debadow
    +1
    Nothing wrong with a Hug, Someone may need one.
  • anime4ever 2010/01/28 09:53:37
    anime4ever
    +1
    hugging rules suk
  • *BIGGUMS* 2010/01/28 08:49:48
    *BIGGUMS*
    +1
    in junior high we used to get in trouble for hugging the opposite sex which to me is ridiculous!!! kissing is a different story but hugging means they have issues not some 12-13yr old kids
  • Toodleloo SodaHead 2010/01/28 03:24:23 (edited)
    Toodleloo SodaHead
    I don't think Australia's retarded, but they're a bit extreme. I like hugs! :D

I find nothing wrong with it.
  • Lovelybadone 2010/01/28 02:31:27
    Lovelybadone
    but people don't generally like the popping of the personal bubble
  • NakedWo... Lovelyb... 2010/01/28 02:47:32
    NakedWombat
    Two people consensually hugging each isn't popping any personal space bubbles.
  • Lovelyb... NakedWo... 2010/01/31 02:12:38
  • Captain Sticky 2010/01/27 21:27:50 (edited)
    Captain Sticky
    +1
    Animals hug. Why shouldn't Humans? The folks that are against it need to get laid.
  • NakedWo... Captain... 2010/01/28 00:32:03 (edited)
    NakedWombat
    +1
    That might involve hugging.
  • Captain... NakedWo... 2010/01/28 00:54:45
    Captain Sticky
    +1
    They could use the "back to back" position.
  • NakedWo... Captain... 2010/01/28 01:58:44
    NakedWombat
    +1
    Sounds gay!

sounds gay
  • Captain... NakedWo... 2010/01/28 04:17:04
    Captain Sticky
    +1
    Maybe. But it's safe!
  • Half-Ginger 2010/01/27 16:28:15
    Half-Ginger
    Hell... people in my school spend half the time hugging... Especially the boys - they can't keep their hands of each other for more than five minutes.
  • seldombites 2010/01/27 12:20:31
    seldombites
    +1
    Hugging is a natural and necessary part of life. These children are being deprived of emotional connection at the time in their lives where they need it most.
  • seldomb... seldomb... 2010/01/29 23:40:57
  • Banana 2010/01/27 11:23:59
    Banana
    +1
    I hug my friends at school all the time It shows how much we care for one and other I lost my grandpa and went into school the next day i dont know if I could have gotten buy with out a hug from my best friend Australia is going to make these kids socially challenged hugging is totally natural and shouldnt be prevented
    Hugs not Drugs says it all!
  • Tara 2010/01/27 08:49:59
    Tara
    It's not just there. We (my state) actually have laws like that. Didn't know this until almost 4 years ago when my son at 13 was arrested for giving a girl a hug, apparently it is illegal to hug or otherwise touch someone not in your family whom you are not legally married to and the parents of minors can press charges. He was charged with Assault 4 and ended up with a years probation. The girl BTW was a 13 year old friend who he gave a hug goodbye to when they left the park and her dad saw and called the cops.

It is amazing how schools and even the laws in some places come up with some of the stuff to ban that they do.

My son who is now almost 17 has never been on a date or to a dance. He is too scared to. Spending time in the juvenile jail and a year in court fighting this and then a year on probation was just way more than a 13 year old could handle and it is so sad that he is afraid to offer comfort or show affection to people :(
  • NakedWo... Tara 2010/01/27 12:22:36
  • Tara NakedWo... 2010/01/27 18:32:44
  • seldomb... Tara 2010/01/27 12:23:53
    seldombites
    That is very extreme. If you don't mind me asking, where is this? Also, how long has that law been in place?
  • Tara seldomb... 2010/01/27 18:41:32
    Tara
    *That is very extreme.*

Very extreme. My husband and I honestly could not believe it when the cop told us why our son was under arrest

*If you don't mind me asking, where is this?*

No I don't mind... We live in Washington state

*Also, how long has that law been in place?*

I honestly don't know. I did not even know it was a law until the officer told us that it is against the law to hug or otherwise affectionately touch someone not in your family that you are not legally married to and the parents of minors can press charges and if the person is 18+ they can press charges themselves.

If he ASKED her permission then we would not have been in this mess because if she would have said yes her dad wouldn't have been able to say anything. But really who runs around asking their friends if they can hug them hello or goodbye everytime?
  • NakedWo... Tara 2010/01/27 21:10:38
    NakedWombat
    Is there a high rate of incest, in that state?
  • Tara NakedWo... 2010/01/28 03:21:53
    Tara
    *Is there a high rate of incest, in that state?*

I don't think so, but I am not sure
  • NakedWo... Tara 2010/01/28 04:01:10
    NakedWombat
    Okay. It seems like a law that can only encourage the wrong things.
  • seldomb... Tara 2010/01/28 12:11:08
    seldombites
    +1
    It is an absolutely ridiculous law and only fanatics would even think to use it. A terrible shame for your son that the girls father is such a person. I hope things go better for him in future.
  • Tara seldomb... 2010/01/28 16:50:31
    Tara
    Thank you! So do we :)
  • NakedWombat 2010/01/27 07:35:03
    NakedWombat
    Article I googled from South Australia;

"Child and adolescent psychologist Darryl Carr believes hugging should be promoted among young students and says if they were going too far, a blanket ban is not the best solution.

"In a sense it's almost like taking away children's innocence. There's certainly cause for concern if you're looking for meaning behind almost every hug. It's going too far with political correctness," he said. "Hugging is a really nice way of making contact with someone and it's generally regarded as a really heartfelt way to show affection.

"What we don't want is for everyone to become super-sensitive about hugging, which is really quite ludicrous. There are situations when people need consoling, particularly if there's a tragedy. Are we going to have the hugging police come in and say, no, you can't do that? Really, it (the hugging ban) is something that would have probably been best left alone."

http://www.news.com.au/adelai...
  • NakedWo... NakedWo... 2010/01/27 08:02:09
    NakedWombat
    The Principal is responding to me by email. While she says that hugging is not specifically mentioning hugging. I have responded by informing that our daughter's home room teacher stated hugging.
  • NakedWo... NakedWo... 2010/01/28 00:35:05
    NakedWombat
    I feel that I have received a fair response from the high school Principal. A copy of this letter will be kept in my daughter's school bag in case a teacher reprimands her for having a consensual non-sexual hug between friends;

"'inappropriate physical touch of a friendly nature' could include when a hug goes too far and becomes more of a sexual act than an act of friends. It could also include touching a student who does not want the touch, whether it be a hug or any other form of physcial contact - no matter how friendly the intention of the 'giver'."
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2010/01/27 07:07:49 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Kids of all people need the human contact and might need a hug from a teacher or a freind. It's strange that Australia would fall for that lie since it's like Hawaii where friendships and greetings have had hugs as part of their culture. Why do people think more teenagers have sex...they need to be touched they need to be held...they need to be accepted and the more we take away touching the more they are going to sneak around to get it.

Our culture is a very hugging culture here in Hawaii and it doesn't lead to pregnancy among teens.
  • NakedWo... Hula gi... 2010/01/27 07:14:02
    NakedWombat
    In the State of New South Wales, the State Labor Government made it illegal for teachers to touch their students. This includes hugs. My eldest spent a little time in this state when she started her schooling and when she fell over and knocked out a tooth, the law forbid them from touching her. Had they just held her hand to provide some emotional support, they would have been charged for a child sex crime.

I have grown to hate this country I live in. It is so repressed.!
  • Hula gi... NakedWo... 2010/01/27 07:16:24
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    The Progressives are trying to do the same here and that's what we are fighting. Yet these same people abort their children and throw God of everything.
  • NakedWo... Hula gi... 2010/01/27 07:36:31
    NakedWombat
    They should look at how all animals with arms hug each other.

http://www.thelightisgreen.co...
    animals arms hug httpwww thelightisgreen
  • Hula gi... NakedWo... 2010/01/27 07:47:18
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Mine hug and kiss all the time. My little boy dog use to come in every morning and sit up on his haunches and hold my older Sharpei in his two front paws and lick her eyes so she could see better. He would just hold her and take care of her and he stated that when he was very little. My two are father and daughter and really love each other.

older sharpei paws lick eyes hold care father daughter love
  • Jazzy-mine►One Hit Rage Quit◄ 2010/01/27 07:01:48
    Jazzy-mine►One Hit Rage Quit◄
    +1
    Hugging is not inappropriate behavior
    undecided hugging inappropriate behavior

2014/11/23 14:35:43