Is Having Braces a Status Symbol?

AdriHead 2013/01/04 00:00:00
If any of you currently wear braces or used to sport them back in the day, you probably remember that it was no picnic. But youngsters in some Southeast Asian countries like Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia are buying fake braces and having them fitted without an orthodontist's help. And sadly, this weird fad has led to at least two deaths due to the gear being put on improperly.

So, why is wearing braces becoming a trend in these countries? Since braces aren't cheap, being able to get them is a sign of wealth and social status. So those who cannot afford to get real braces opt for these much cheaper, "fake" versions -- allowing them to be a part of the "cool, rich kid" clique. It's all pretty sad, if you think about it -- especially because of the recent deaths. Do you think braces are a symbol for social status?

DAILYMAIL.CO.UK reports:
Adolescents in Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia have been buying the oral accessories - which do not need to be fitted by a dentist - for as little as £62.
reports adolescents thailand indonesia malaysia oral accessories fitted dentist 62

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2256608/...

• SomersaultAlex 2013/01/04 00:23:04
    SomersaultAlex
    +14
    I have braces right now and to be honest I absolutely hate them.
    I think they make me look awful. I've had them since April and I'm just now starting to kinda get used to my appearance with them. Plus they kinda hurt haha. There's no way I'd get braces for a fashion statement

• Marie 2013/11/06 04:19:59
    Marie
    They are a necessity for jacked up teeth.
  • Carol 2013/05/20 19:16:02
    Carol
    I go to orthodontist only last 3 days ago to put my braces on but the reason why I decided to have it is not because of fashion or status symbol but because I want to have a straighten smile 'coz I'm the Front Desk Coordinator in my work so I need to have more self-confident for myself.
  • codie.paul 2013/01/25 16:36:00 (edited)
    codie.paul
    No not really. It just means you have braces. You obviously needed them. Doesnt make you rich.You dont fit into a category. Although some may think you're a geek or nerd or a dork. But i dont think so. Its just one of those things that had to be done. Besides who really wants to get braces anyway? Not many if any im sure. And i think i got the top opinion.
  • harley.jackman.3 2013/01/22 18:58:18
  • BYRON POTTER 2013/01/22 16:39:42
    BYRON  POTTER
    I use to wear Braces back in high school only because I needed them. I dont give a dam about the trend. Its like wearing a stupid goatee, alot of guys wear that, its the trend. I dont have a goatee, never well.
  • Anna 2013/01/14 03:05:43
    Anna
    there exspensive...
  • Monkey 2013/01/11 19:46:55
    Monkey
    Peer presure at it's finest. There will always be some unconfident kid willing to do any crazy fad to feel cool. I hope the parents get involved and save some pain and humiliation for those kids.
  • METALheadMom 2013/01/09 17:36:44
    METALheadMom
    ANYONE who buys FAKE metal for their mouths, or any metal for their mouths, IS AN IDIOT. I frankly don't care what reason they have for doing it.
  • Not A Crybaby Richard <3Fre... 2013/01/09 16:45:01
    Not A Crybaby Richard <3Freedom!
    My teeth look just like the ones from an annoying person :( I'm getting braces soon and because I barely open my mouth, it's not a big deal :D
  • DavidK 2013/01/09 14:02:37
    DavidK
    +1
    it just means you're father has good insurance on you.
  • Roxxi 2013/01/09 12:17:00
    Roxxi
    I've never had braces but my friends who have said that they're painful and awkward. I don't see why someone would want braces if they didn't need them.
  • Nay ॐ ‏ 2013/01/09 11:26:54
    Nay ॐ ‏
    I was born in Indonesia. And...wow...what a shame.
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2013/01/09 03:39:51 (edited)
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    I had braces, and I couldn't stand them. If my daughter ever needs them, she will absolutely be getting invisiline.
  • Resp 2013/01/09 02:39:58
    Resp
    I know some adults, in their forties, wearing braces.
  • Palmer Resp 2013/01/09 15:49:30
    Palmer
    ................ And?
  • Resp Palmer 2013/01/09 18:50:01
    Resp
    It looks childish.
  • Monkey Resp 2013/01/11 19:50:41
    Monkey
    I didn't get braces until I was 19 because I couldn't afford it, but after saving up I am finally able to correct the painful way I used to have to chew food. I think the decision to get braces is 50/50 health and physical appearance.
  • Resp Monkey 2013/01/12 04:30:16
    Resp
    Well that is understandable. But I see folks in their 40's and 50's wearing braces. It looks like a status symbol on them. My dentist, 53, wears braces. He looks creepy.
  • revbh 2013/01/09 00:19:08
    revbh
    +3
    When I was a kid, I really wanted braces, but I was cursed with straight teeth.
  • Mel revbh 2013/01/12 17:20:48
    Mel
    +2
    i felt the same way but now anytime someone talks about having nice teeth cuz of braces i laugh in my head and say to my self my teeth were naturally perfect and i feel better
  • revbh Mel 2013/01/17 08:19:54
    revbh
    YEAH. Now people ask me what moisturizer or shampoo I use and I say "None."

S/he who laughs last, laughs best.
  • Mel revbh 2013/01/22 08:02:44
    Mel
    very true im just glad i was blessed with such nice teeth
  • harasnicole 2013/01/08 23:45:27
    harasnicole
    Having braces just means your teeth need help. I'm fortunate not to have any, but my sister did.
  • gabriielle.a 2013/01/08 19:29:41
    gabriielle.a
    +1
    Having braces means you need your teeth to be fixed...
  • 001 2013/01/08 13:22:58
    001
    +1
    Braces look stupid for a while so you can have a stunning smile afterwards. They are not supposed to be cool.
  • No
    ϟ Emma ϟ_♥loves♥supernatural♥
    +3
    status symbol??
    i don t want to live in this planet anymore
  • The Andoxico 2013/01/07 20:38:19
    The Andoxico
    +1
    i don't see how it could be. braces are just to get your teeth straight
  • Stef 2013/01/07 17:55:35
    Stef
    +1
    Seriously!?! a status symbol? I had mine on for like 5-6 years when i was younger and hated them.... And i didn't grow up with money i just happened to have a really bad bite problem that needed to be fixed. I can see why people may think it is because Braces are expensive. So if you have them, then you must have money or really good dental care right?

I know people who came from a low income family and still found a way to get their kid braces because it was a necessity. You do what you need to do for your kids whether you have money or you don't.
  • Michaelene 2013/01/07 17:15:25
    Michaelene
    The only people who can afford braces are those who are well off or those who have free dental care through their job contracts. The rest of us cannot afford the thousands it cost for braces.
  • Stef Michaelene 2013/01/07 18:01:29
    Stef
    +1
    That's not necessarily true. My boyfriends mom worked multiple jobs when her kids were young and was able to get his sister braces. She wasn't rich nor had a lot of money but made sure that her kids got the care they needed. So are you saying, that if your child needed braces badly that you wouldn't find some way to get them what they needed?
  • Michaelene Stef 2013/01/07 18:35:34
    Michaelene
    Of course, I only wish it were that easy to find multiple jobs these days. It's not.
    I know far too many teens who are working to help keep the lights on in their homes because their parents are unemployed. Some of these kids haven't seen a doc in years.

I have dental and health insurance and it's very expensive. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.
  • Libertarian Bill 2013/01/07 17:05:37
    Libertarian Bill
    NO! I wore railroad tracks for 5 years, and went through all the pain of have my palette cracked, teeth pulled and headgear. Not to mention rubberbands. Food stuck in them, gouges in my gums from the wires, and all the time trying to bite down on a reed when learning to play alto saxophone. No Way!
  • CrazyDeen0 2013/01/07 14:47:22
    CrazyDeen0
    They are a sign that you have f*cked up teeth LOL I had them for 3 years when I was a teen and the only thing they helped me with was lots of cuts and canker sores... oh and of course straighter teeth eventually ;-)
  • Ashley 2013/01/07 14:45:53
    Ashley
    Usually it means crooked teeth
  • yoana 2013/01/07 14:43:46
    yoana
    a necessity
  • Corrie 2013/01/07 14:24:21
    Corrie
    My family was definitely NOT rich, not even sort of, barely middle class and I had braces. We just had good insurance because my dad had a county job. I couldn't imagine braces being cool now! Maybe that shows just how much poverty there is in those countries and that is sad! :(
  • foxy 2013/01/07 12:31:30
    foxy
    It probably is now, they have to do something to encourage the kids. When I wore them I could at least take them out. By the way they do work my sticky out teeth are now straight.
  • Samantha 2013/01/07 08:44:35
    Samantha
    +1
    It is quite sad to think that some youngsters may believe that wearing braces is a sign of wealth. They need to know that it is absolutely not a sign of wealth. I had braces in my twenties and, it was no picnic at all. I was not rich. I was told that if I did not correct an overbite that it could cause signifigant problems when I got older.

I do not think braces are a symbol for social status, and I hope these youngsters realize how far from a symbol of social status wearing braces really is. Unfortunately, youngsters are also connecting braces to fashion and beauty. For them, it is like wearing a tongue ring, or nose ring as well.

For those who really need braces and cannot afford them, I urge them to please recognize the serious danger they would be putting themselves in if they buy fake braces and have them fitted without an orrhodontist's help. It is not a status symbol, for status symbols only exist in the mind; it is not reality.
  • Katie 2013/01/07 07:38:25
    Katie
    This is absolutely ridiculous. The two years I had braces were miserable!
  • xxdarkxxfairyxx 2013/01/07 07:37:01
    xxdarkxxfairyxx
    Braces are to straitened your teeth. I hate my braces they are so annoying.

2014/08/29 10:19:53