Is having a racial preference for dating racist?

Vision of Verve 2012/08/17 02:27:57
Yep. That is racist.
No, that's not racist.
I'm not sure if that's racist or not.
So human beings typically date to find a mate. When looking for a mate, most of us have a list of traits lined up that we want in a partner, and in potential children for those of us who want to have children.
Included in those traits is appearance for most.
Whether you think that appearance is more important than the way someone acts is up to you, but one component of appearance is skin color.
Is having a race preference for dating only racist?
Sound off for me!

• .: LiVi :. 2012/08/17 10:42:00
    No, that's not racist.
    .: LiVi :.
    +11
    I think everyone needs to calm down and stop letting PC rule their entire lives. Honestly, who cares, it's your life, live it the way you want. We are judged for having a racial preference (discriminating against other races), judged for having a body-type preference (discriminating against fat people, except it's ok to discriminate against skinny people), judged for having a facial/looks preference (discriminating against ugly people, except it's ok to discriminate against good looking people), judged for having a preference or personal opinion about everything. Everyone is a hypocrite. I wish people could just live and let live and accept that no one is perfect, and we all have different opinions. But, that is an unrealistic hope. So, just stick your finger up at them all and do what you want. Only you can live your life, it is no one else's business, they are not in charge of your life.

• wolf sloan 2013/01/24 03:55:33
    No, that's not racist.
    wolf sloan
    Some just have preferences, like blondes over redheads, long hair over short....
  • Red Branch 2012/09/02 04:51:32
    No, that's not racist.
    Red Branch
    I agree with the mate part and your children. I agree with all of it.
  • VampFreak13 2012/08/27 16:57:33
    No, that's not racist.
    VampFreak13
    It is not like racial profiling...it is a racial choice...which personal choice not a hate thing...I have friends from all walks of life...but only date jewish men...personal choice... :)
  • Red 2012/08/26 21:32:52
  • Frannin 2012/08/26 01:43:03
    Yep. That is racist.
    Frannin
    Meant to say, No,that's not racist. It's simply a personal preference.
  • Urhsten 2012/08/25 04:11:31
    No, that's not racist.
    Urhsten
    +1
    I like Redheads....there my fetish xD
  • Elz 2012/08/24 01:05:31
    No, that's not racist.
    Elz
    +1
    it's only racist if you're going to be ignorant and prejudice about it.
  • Tony Cicarella 2012/08/23 21:23:40
    I'm not sure if that's racist or not.
    Tony Cicarella
    +1
    My first impulse was yes but then I figured some folks prefer partners with dark hair or blue eyes. We all have preferences on what we fine "attractive" so I guess it can be racist for some and not for others. It's one of those things I find best not to try and judge because I can't really see into the persons heart.
  • Pocahontas 2012/08/23 20:30:26
    I'm not sure if that's racist or not.
    Pocahontas
    +1
    Because people date for different reasons, you know...
  • TXGirl 2012/08/23 18:07:41
    No, that's not racist.
    TXGirl
    +1
    It's personal preference, not racism. I wouldn't date a white man. Not because I hate white people, I just prefer darker skin on a man and pillow talk just isn't the same in English - not everything translates well.
  • anne.k.murphy 2012/08/23 15:52:08
    No, that's not racist.
    anne.k.murphy
    +2
    I am only going to chat up a man that I'm physically attracted to, and I am only going to allow myself to be chatted up by a man I'm physically attracted to.
    Having said that, I have a TYPE of man that I am physically attracted to. That type is not black. That type is not Asian. That type is about 5% Hispanic. That type is about 5% white.
    I can however acknowledge when a man is good-looking regardless of his ethnicity, even though I am not personally attracted to him because he is not my type.
    Does this make me racist? Of course not. It just makes me very picky... ;)
  • jcadla 2012/08/23 15:24:23
    No, that's not racist.
    jcadla
    +1
    Not at all. A personal preference is just that,-a personal preference. It is the exact same as saying, "I am 5' 9" tall and I won't date any woman over 6' tall." There is nothing wrong with wanting to stay within your own race for anything personal. Races are different,-that is obvious. Political correctness tries to level all things out but that is not even remotely possible. If I say, "The fastest runners in the world are black," am I a racist? How would I be racist when that is the truth? All races are wonderful in their own right but that doesn't make any of them racist. I am a writer,-of poetry and songs and short stories and a singer. But I respect anyone who is a klutz at writing and has a terrible voice. I have black relatives. They are nice and I don't have a preference to any race of relative...but, for me, I would not date a black woman. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it because we are different races. That's my personal preference. There is no wrong or right about it.
  • rocker1446 2012/08/23 15:02:14
    No, that's not racist.
    rocker1446
    +1
    We all find different people and different things beautiful. So long as you still treat others with respect, it is not racism.
  • Demoness 2012/08/23 14:23:30
    No, that's not racist.
    Demoness
    +1
    Not at all...we all find different types attractive,,how on earth does that make us racist??
  • Vision ... Demoness 2012/08/25 13:54:50
  • Demoness Vision ... 2012/08/25 22:06:05
    Demoness
    well it has to work both ways..there are some blacks who only date blacks..so are they being racist?
  • Headhunter 13 2012/08/23 13:36:52
    I'm not sure if that's racist or not.
    Headhunter 13
    +1
    Only choose this because the choices suck. It would depend on why or why not you date that person not the color of their skin. If you don't do it out of ignorance, intolerance and hate then yes it is. If it is not based in prejudice and hate and ignorance then no. As you can see only the person doing it can determine it. I have dated all racial groups and my 2 children are biracial
  • Vision ... Headhun... 2012/08/25 13:54:37
  • Headhun... Vision ... 2012/08/25 14:25:19
    Headhunter 13
    Maybe for some one as mentally underdeveloped as you chump. Maybe you should learn more about what racism is and not that it is a simplified or in your case over simplified concept. Racism first off has little to do with preference. Preference can be an innate decision where racism is learn and bred
  • Katfish 2012/08/23 13:31:51
    No, that's not racist.
    Katfish
    +2
    If you have a preference for yourself, that does not necessarily mean you think that race is superior to others, just a better choice for you personally.
  • bill.fife.3 2012/08/23 13:24:43
    I'm not sure if that's racist or not.
    bill.fife.3
    +1
    I can't say I have ever thought in those terms. I am attracted to whomever I find attractive and can't recall a time when race played a part. As I am exposed to more of my own race or racial group I find more to my liking in that demographic but proportionally have also seen my share from the others that sparked interest. Mostly it's more a matter of being too shy or just feeling the pressure from the general competition that's kept me from moving forward and not anything else.
  • Jackal 2012/08/23 12:30:12 (edited)
  • Moonage 2012/08/23 12:24:28
    No, that's not racist.
    Moonage
    +1
    Do you prefer blondes, reds, brunettes? Tall, short, fat, skinny, talks a lot, doesn't talk? Swallows or spits?

If the ONLY thing you were concerned with was the color of their skin, you've got issues. However, most people have a long list of preferences.
  • DANNY59 2012/08/23 12:17:46
    No, that's not racist.
    DANNY59
    +1
    I don't necessarily think it's racist, one might just have a preference. I remember growing up saying that I would never get married unless it was to an Asian woman, I always found them to be more attractive. I married a white woman, but I still find ethnic woman very attractive, but that doesn't make me racist, at least I hope it doesn't, I've always thought of myself as being non-racist.
  • tff~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/23 10:03:40
    No, that's not racist.
    tff~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Since it's not racist for blacks then it's not racist for whites.
  • Dweezle 2012/08/23 07:31:32
    I'm not sure if that's racist or not.
    Dweezle
    +1
    let me see, if you date a different race only to be different, is that as racist as refusing to date because one is a different race?
  • Vision ... Dweezle 2012/08/25 13:55:20
  • Dweezle Vision ... 2012/08/26 01:02:37
    Dweezle
    it was intended to create a line of thought... Perhaps I did not understand your question
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/08/23 06:36:33
  • Anna 2012/08/23 06:10:45 (edited)
    No, that's not racist.
    Anna
    +1
    I'm not attracted to women and thus wouldn't date one, does this make me a misogynist?
  • Vision ... Anna 2012/08/25 13:55:35
  • Cat 2012/08/23 04:22:34
    Yep. That is racist.
    Cat
    You're saying that there could not be any person of that race compatible with you.
    that is definitely racist. No question about it.
  • Anna Cat 2012/08/23 05:48:33
    Anna
    I don't find women attractive and thus wouldn't date one. Does this mean I'm sexist? I just so happen to not find darker skin attractive, or the Asian eye shape attractive. Because I don't find them attractive I would not date them, because ultimately they are not and can not be compatible with me. This doesn't stop me from being friends with people of all races. Unfortunately my hormones aren't as PC as my mind.
  • Cat Anna 2012/08/23 06:19:36
    Cat
    Sorry to hear that your hormones have so vastly limited your choices. Are your hormones different than the hormones of other male homo sapiens?
  • Anna Cat 2012/08/23 18:22:24
    Anna
    My hormones are vastly different from that of male homo sapiens, as, last time I checked, male homo sapiens don't get periods or grow breasts upon reaching puberty.
  • Cat Anna 2012/08/23 23:00:56
    Cat
    OOps sorry about that, My apologies.
  • Anna Cat 2012/08/24 02:02:58
    Anna
    Haha, no problem.
  • Jackal Anna 2012/08/23 12:59:51
    Jackal
    So the way a person looks effect your compatibility...
  • Anna Jackal 2012/08/23 18:24:01
    Anna
    +1
    Yes, it does. I'm not going to date someone who isn't physically compatible to me. Would you date someone you have zero attraction to?
  • Jackal Anna 2012/08/24 22:08:33
    Jackal
    So it is not who they are you are attracted too...

It is WHAT they are?

2014/10/20 23:26:17