Is Graffiti a Form of Art?

The Big Question 2011/09/21 22:44:41
Related Topics: Graffiti, Art

• Beat Magnum True Hero 2011/09/22 07:33:06
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +6
    First of all, the question is asking if graffiti is art, not if it is vandalism. Some of these guys are really good, and when you consider that they're just doing it with cheap spray paint, you can't help but be impressed. I like it when some cities actually have graffiti artists come in to paint some mural and designs on otherwise bleak looking walls. I take trains a lot here in Europe and I see work nothing short of beautiful on the sides of train cars. Trust me, anything to dress up a bunch of old depressing communist-era trains is a good thing. While misguided (vandalizing property), it is usually an attempt to bring something beautiful to the world.

Now is it vandalism? But the purest definition, yes. If it is unsolicited or unwanted on the property, then no matter how good it is, it is vandalism. With that said, I don't get upset when I see it. It brings a little color to the world.

With that said, I can't stand gang tags. Don't confuse someone's cheap territorial pissings for art. Go to a city like Tucson where you can't walk ten feet out your door without seeing a gang tag and you'll soon learn the difference.

• queenalyss 2011/11/09 05:36:24 (edited)
    queenalyss
    absolutely, it takes immense talent just to get you picture good in a technical way with such a wild medium not to mention the fact that you have to be brave and swift to accomplish your piece. look at Space Invader who actually uses mosaics as his medium and Shepard Fairey's work, that is truly beautiful.
    space invader graffiti
  • reg 2011/09/22 19:59:59
    reg
    +1
    it is mostly although there are just rubbish names as well. but....this all started in the late 40's early 50's with a bloke who called himself kilroy. when i was a child of 8/10 there were graffiti drawings of a face over a wall in the most unlikely places....on top of seemingly unclimbable bridges, building roofs.....he was never caught in the 20 or so years he did it. he was the only one and he went to the length and bredth of britain to do it.
  • blindfaith 2011/09/22 15:03:36
  • CATNIP 2011/09/22 11:41:29
    CATNIP
    +1
    definitely
  • Cricket 2011/09/22 11:13:01
    Cricket
    It's apparently a form of expression, street expression. It's not a form of art to me unless it's in a district where it's supposed to be considered art.
  • queenalyss Cricket 2011/11/09 05:46:31
    queenalyss
    who gets to decide what is supposed to be and what isnt supposed to be art?
  • Cricket queenalyss 2011/11/09 12:52:20 (edited)
    Cricket
    The homeowners and the city when it's done against them! Judges
  • blackrings70 2011/09/22 10:36:32
    blackrings70
  • 001 2011/09/22 10:31:49
  • Sattesh 2011/09/22 10:30:29
  • Wyveryx 2011/09/22 10:28:12
    Wyveryx
    +3
    Yes it is, however, some of it is distasteful and damaging. I would be more interested if these people would use their skills to improve the way things looked in a more debilitated area.
  • seriously 2011/09/22 10:19:16
    seriously
    +1
    It sure is- just most times you have to buy your own canvas- or at least know someone that will let you use theirs...
  • Seeker of Truth - War Wizard 2011/09/22 10:05:51
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    +2
    While it takes talent to create some of the graffiti I've seen, the vast majority is nothing but random scribbles. And in any case, unless done with the property owner's permission, it's vandalism, pure and simple. You want to spraypaint a masterpiece? Do it on your own wall, or use a big sheet of paper or canvas, and then sell it at an art gallery!
  • 001 Seeker ... 2011/09/22 10:34:14
    001
    +3
    Then again, a lot of 'art' is nothing but random scribbles. Some painters literally throw paint at a canvas and sell the result for a couple of thousand euros. It's like every form of art, there's artists and there's amateurs.
  • Seeker ... 001 2011/09/22 23:00:45
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    When it's random, it's not art in my opinion. I see a big difference between a grown person doing what my 4 year old does with a crayon, and someone who actually consciously tries to convey thoughts or feelings through an artistic medium. I don't really understand why literally splashing paint onto a canvas is considered "art" by some people.
  • Cricket Seeker ... 2011/09/22 11:14:20
    Cricket
    +1
    I agree. How can it be considered art when they're spraying it on fences or walls of city and private property?
  • Lizzy 2011/09/22 09:34:34
    Lizzy
    +2
    Some of it is quite beautiful if done tastefully + it improves the look of some buildings.
  • Billy the kid 2011/09/22 09:30:53
    Billy the kid
    +3
    In it's highest form, yes, I believe it definitely IS an art-form.
  • AnnForTruth 2011/09/22 07:55:20 (edited)
    AnnForTruth
    +2
    Graffiti is a form of crime. The difference between art and graffiti is permission vs. vandalism, respectively. If a building owner permits an individual to paint on side of his/her building than it is art. But if the individual takes it upon self to do this without permission it is vandalism. One can land you in jail, paying a fine, and/or assigned to clean up or community service, and the other one will not
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +6

• Beat Ma... Beat Ma... 2011/09/22 07:38:30
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +4
    And I'm sorry to reply to my own post, but I want to show the difference between tagging and graffiti.

tagging: reply post difference tagging graffiti tagging gang tags

graffiti:

reply post difference tagging graffiti tagging graffiti grafitti
  • AnnForT... Beat Ma... 2011/09/22 10:19:47 (edited)
    AnnForTruth
    No one is suggesting that some graffiti don't looks nice or the persons can't draw or paint, but when they do this without the permission of building owners it is a crime. One can't make an illegal action legal. It's one or the other. But in all fairness, let's just say graffiti is a form of illegal art.
  • AnnForT... Beat Ma... 2011/09/22 07:56:33
    AnnForTruth
    But vandalism is exactly what graffiti is."The difference between art and graffiti is that art is done on property with the permission of the property owner. Art is a creative and productive form of expression. Graffiti is a crime."
  • S123 AnnForT... 2011/09/22 17:13:32
    S123
    He said that it is vandalism.
  • Fallout AnnForT... 2011/09/23 06:13:06
    Fallout
    Wrong. Graffiti is a form of art and doing it without permission on private property
    is a vandalism.

Look up the definition of graffiti and get back to me.
  • AnnForT... Fallout 2011/09/23 14:29:56 (edited)
    AnnForTruth
    Why don't you read my previous comments, because I already posted the definition of graffiti. I'll post it again, "The difference between art and graffiti is that art is done on property with the permission of the property owner. Art is a creative and productive form of expression. Graffiti is a crime." I also wrote in another comment graffiti is a form of illegal art.
  • Fallout AnnForT... 2011/09/24 14:51:53
    Fallout
    Graffiti (singular: graffito; the plural is used as a mass noun) is the name for images or lettering scratched, scrawled, painted or marked in any manner on property. Graffiti is any type of public markings that may appear in the forms of simple written words to elaborate wall paintings. Graffiti has existed since ancient times, with examples dating back to Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire.

Have a nice day
  • Fallout 2011/09/22 07:31:53
    Fallout
    +3
    If you have permission, and your not some bum tagging
    personal property with garbage.
    permission bum tagging personal property garbage
  • queenalyss Fallout 2011/11/09 05:38:34
    queenalyss
    that is a mural not grafitti
  • Fallout queenalyss 2011/11/09 06:53:27
    Fallout
    Sorry. That is definitely graffiti by definition.
    Here's the definition-
    Graffiti (singular: graffito; the plural is used as a mass noun) is the name for images or lettering scratched, scrawled, painted or marked in any manner on property. Graffiti is any type of public markings that may appear in the forms of simple written words to elaborate wall paintings. Graffiti has existed since ancient times, with examples dating back to Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire.[1]

Have a great day
  • Dum Luk 2011/09/22 05:42:47
    Dum Luk
    It's a form of vandalism.

Anyone who answers "Yes," let me know where you park your car, and we'll see if you still feel the same way next week.
  • Beat Ma... Dum Luk 2011/09/22 07:25:10 (edited)
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    I don't have a car. Not that I'm particularly proud of that, but it's part of my current season...
  • Founder... Dum Luk 2011/09/22 08:00:21
    FounderOfLaRaza
    +1
    you gimp, the question wasnt is vandalism with spray paint a form of art... graf art can be done anywhere not necessarily only in places its not allowed... look at some pictures online...
  • 001 Dum Luk 2011/09/22 10:38:50
    001
    +2
    I'd love to have my car painted by a decent graffiti artist if I had one. I already have a graffiti artwork on my wall.
  • Stacie 2011/09/22 05:19:34
    Stacie
    Maybe if it didn't deface other structures, it would be. As it stands now, it is nothing more than vandalism. Very artistic vandalism, but vandalism just the same.
  • Founder... Stacie 2011/09/22 07:58:26
    FounderOfLaRaza
    +1
    obviously you dont know about the graffiti art world, there are places its allowed and there are some places its put put up where it isnt necessarily but lots of pieces are great, and lots of it sucks and lots of it is illegal but your answer was narrow in scope...
  • Fresno State Fan CB-05 2011/09/22 05:15:20
    Fresno State Fan CB-05
    Not in my neighborhood.
    It's just illiterate scrawls and stick figures on every available surface in flat black or cherry red paint.
  • Beat Ma... Fresno ... 2011/09/22 07:35:31
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    Those would be gang tags. I don't care for those either.
  • Jewellery Gal 2011/09/22 05:11:47
    Jewellery Gal
    +1
    It's meaningless scribble
  • Founder... Jewelle... 2011/09/22 07:56:05
    FounderOfLaRaza
    buh

2014/10/31 04:41:53