Is Getting Pregnant at Sixteen Really Such A Bad Thing?

x.segagenesis 2010/04/07 06:31:47
So, lately this question has been haunting me. Our society looks down upon girls who are pregnant at around sixteen, but, really, before, people were getting MARRIED at this age. So, I dunno... I'm curious. I don't think it's weird when you're pregnant at 16 because in my school, there's pregnant girls everywhere. So, what do you think? Is it bad or not something to be too worried about?

• Sashaa-x 2010/04/07 13:08:21
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    Sashaa-x
    +4
    Is Not Bad At All As Long As The Baby Has A Father And A Good Home With A Over Its Head :) Food Water And Lovee x

• Alex 2013/11/22 20:21:10
    Getting pregnant at 16 is bad
    Alex
    I think this whole thread is comical i had my son at the age of 20 then at 22 i was diagnosed with ms (multiple sclerosis) I have 2 younger sisters by marriage one is married and pregnant currently the other is way to young at 13 years old being 25 now i look back and i think that getting pregnant at 16 is a poor decision i feel like with my medical problem it might be comparable to raising a kid at 16 it was so hard i would never wish that on anyone yet now they make t.v. shows about it and i find it sad kids aren't meant to raise kids.
  • audrey 2013/07/23 20:32:33
    Getting pregnant at 16 isnt something to be worried about
    audrey
    It's not a bad thing I'm 16 and trying to get pregnant so don't judge girls at 16 I have a boyfriend that I've been with for 1 yr we love each other very much I have a good home and ill have the support ovi my mom won't be happy but it's my life
  • meganel... audrey 2013/10/02 04:33:32
    meganelizabeth
    +3
    Hello. Me and my boyfriend have been talking about havering a baby I am 16. I don't know that my mom is going to like it. What should I do.??
  • Angel 2012/05/06 14:16:09
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    Angel
    For all you people who are downing age and maturity. Stop and listen for a moment. To me having a child isn't about the age i am or my mental ability to handle situations. If i am happy with who i am with and my partner feels the same that should be all that matters. Others opinions (like all of yours) would not matter to me because family is what is important. Love is not worried about what others think. If i have a happy comitment with my man and we feel that we are prepared for a family then in my mind, thats all that matters. All you women who say that you would rather wait for the "right time" guess what, the right time comes when you are emotionally stable, not when you hit a certain number on your birthday. Tax payers of the world remember, would you rather pay for a life of a child, or the paycheck of the next government official, at least you know that your money is being used for the people. To all that look in the past, your basing you arguments off of steriotypes. REMEMBER that not everyone got married at 13-16. Not everyone in todays society are "bratty". Most of us work hard to earn the adults approval only to be shot down by you who fails to be happy with anything because you aren't happy with your own life. Having a child is not something to concern yourself wi...
    For all you people who are downing age and maturity. Stop and listen for a moment. To me having a child isn't about the age i am or my mental ability to handle situations. If i am happy with who i am with and my partner feels the same that should be all that matters. Others opinions (like all of yours) would not matter to me because family is what is important. Love is not worried about what others think. If i have a happy comitment with my man and we feel that we are prepared for a family then in my mind, thats all that matters. All you women who say that you would rather wait for the "right time" guess what, the right time comes when you are emotionally stable, not when you hit a certain number on your birthday. Tax payers of the world remember, would you rather pay for a life of a child, or the paycheck of the next government official, at least you know that your money is being used for the people. To all that look in the past, your basing you arguments off of steriotypes. REMEMBER that not everyone got married at 13-16. Not everyone in todays society are "bratty". Most of us work hard to earn the adults approval only to be shot down by you who fails to be happy with anything because you aren't happy with your own life. Having a child is not something to concern yourself with. If you have to ask questions about age or being ready, then your not ready. You should wait until you don't have to question the world of strangers to get an answer. When you find the answers within your self, thats truely when you know.
  • Kay-Lynne Collier 2012/04/24 02:32:11
    Kay-Lynne Collier
    I am a 16 year old girl, and my comment on this topic is that it honestly depends on the person, and their maturity level. I know girls that were way beyond their years that did just fine raising a child. But, on the other hand, I know girls that should really have not gotten pregnant. It's a really impossible situation socially, though, for a girl to become pregnant at 16. If her pregnancy was an accident, she is considered a slut, and if the pregnancy was planned, then she's considered crazy or an attention-whore. If you can handle that kind of social rejection, and maybe a little bit too much social "acceptance" (as in girls will be all over your baby because it's cute) then you might be okay socially. Babies require a lot of upkeep, and a lot of love and attention. It's not going to be all about you anymore. Your baby will be your number one priority. Being a single mother is difficult, yes, but you don't always need the father of the child to raise a baby successfully. But I would highly recommend getting pregnant when you are with a person that you know that you love, and that both you and your partner are absolutely sure that you are ready to have sex, or have a baby. Completing high school is not impossible, but if you're not ambitious and determined to finish, you may...
    I am a 16 year old girl, and my comment on this topic is that it honestly depends on the person, and their maturity level. I know girls that were way beyond their years that did just fine raising a child. But, on the other hand, I know girls that should really have not gotten pregnant. It's a really impossible situation socially, though, for a girl to become pregnant at 16. If her pregnancy was an accident, she is considered a slut, and if the pregnancy was planned, then she's considered crazy or an attention-whore. If you can handle that kind of social rejection, and maybe a little bit too much social "acceptance" (as in girls will be all over your baby because it's cute) then you might be okay socially. Babies require a lot of upkeep, and a lot of love and attention. It's not going to be all about you anymore. Your baby will be your number one priority. Being a single mother is difficult, yes, but you don't always need the father of the child to raise a baby successfully. But I would highly recommend getting pregnant when you are with a person that you know that you love, and that both you and your partner are absolutely sure that you are ready to have sex, or have a baby. Completing high school is not impossible, but if you're not ambitious and determined to finish, you may not graduate, therefore lowering your chances of getting a good job and providing for a baby. So if you cannot provide those things to your baby, then maybe becoming pregnant/not using protection is not a good idea. Me, personally, I do want have a baby. (Also, about the comment that was mentioning "health risks", your body at sixteen is less fragile, and your immune system is better than someone in their 20's or 30's. You are less likely to break bones, and the health risks are much lower actually, than a person of 20 or 30.) So, it's all about when a woman (and a man, too.) believe that they are ready to have a baby, and can look at the situation with an open mind, and are able to go about getting pregnant maturely, and are not blind to the hardships of pregnancy just because they "want one". My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year now, and we know that we are ready for a baby. We are just waiting for the most optimal time to start attempting to conceive. You cannot be afraid of going to the doctor's, either. I just went in for pap test last week, and I will be going to get an overall physical next week so that I can prepare myself for pregnancy. Lose a little weight, eat a little better, ditch the caffeine. I am not stupid. I am not naive. I have matured very quickly... And I believe that I am ready. Isn't that what it's all about? Knowing that you're ready? Knowing yourself, and your body?
  • Kay-Lyn... Kay-Lyn... 2012/04/24 02:34:08
    Kay-Lynne Collier
    +2
    Sorry, a couple typos in there. I was typing very quickly, should have proofread, forgive me.
  • starstruckBaby 2010/04/14 02:19:00
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    starstruckBaby
    well im not saying its all bad, but im not saying its good either. I mean if you have a great family that will support you all the way then i guess your good and if you have a family that goes through drama and no-support then that's not good. just imagine if you tell your boyfriend that your pregnant what are the chances of him staying with you, some guys will stay but most don't . PLUS YOU HAVE YOUR WHOLE LIFE AHEAD OF YOU!!!!
  • stalefries88 2010/04/07 22:44:13
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    stalefries88
    well think bout it ur young and your not all that ready yet that guy can leave you and your stuk with a baby and all ur pretty teen years r over
  • Daisy 2010/04/07 15:37:24 (edited)
    Getting pregnant at 16 is bad
    Daisy
    +1
    ...so then it also wouldn't be bad to jump of a cliff when everybody is doing it...it wouldn't be bad if you just shot people you hate cuz everybody seems to be killing 24/7...etc, etc. I think it is very very stupid for girls to get pregnant at age 16. Why did they get pregnant in the first place...cuz they were stupid and even when they know there are so many contraceptives out there they still banged with none to prevent pregnancy. Perhaps someone may say "well we need a prescription" or "we are not old enough to buy these items", even then SO WHAT? You wanna desperately feel up that boy in all his natural glory that neither him or her can buy condoms? Condoms are everywhere and available for whoever at anytime. Wear one. As for people getting married as early as 13 back in the day...well to me that is just an excuse girls use to get laid TODAY. Sex education wasn't as open as it is today back then and life wasn't as easy either. Some contraceptives weren't around only condoms and back in the day even boys would get FROWNED upon for buying them. But most importantly...young people from those times WERE VERY BEYOND MATURE unlike the bratty kids from today.
  • JustinW... Daisy 2010/10/15 20:40:02
    JustinWeisz
    +4
    @Daisy... Wow I never heard such ignorant crap in my life. First of all. PEOPLE DO JUMP OFF CLIFFS FOR FUN EVERYDAY! ITS A GOOD IDEA IF YOUR INTO IT.

Secondly. PEOPLE DO KILL THE PEOPLE THEY HATE. ITS CALLED WAR. EVERY GOVERNMENT AND NATION DOES THIS FOR THE GOOD OF THEIR OWN POPULATION.

Third. Girls were getting married at 13 because women were not people. Women were objects to be bartered for. A beautiful daughter would cost quite an amount especially if the daughter was from a wealthy family. But dowries were used to get rid of the dead weight of an extra mouth to feed that could only be used for chores and sex. (not historically accurate) Not only that but OLDER men who already had made something of themselves would come to a family with a younger marrigable daughter and "buy" her from the family, usually the daughter was around 9-15 years old.

Lastly, sex education has been around since man learned he could stick his penis in a woman and only advanced through trials and errors made from earlier advancements. Condoms came from those trials, which the first condom could have been invented during the time of the BC era, made from the stomachs and intestine of goats.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY! Maturity, from 1800 and even further back victorian era, was SOOOOOOO LOW that they had ...

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY! Maturity, from 1800 and even further back victorian era, was SOOOOOOO LOW that they had no idea that having sex could make children. That some how someone was implanting babies into people. Not only that but the education of those people were so low that often times it was the children developed more maturity than their predecessors.

People don't mature. Humanity matures. Learn some basic facts before you blow your horn and think that the world before today was all candy, roses, and doctorates.

Now as for getting pregnant at 16. Its not a good nor bad idea, its simply an idea. What makes it good or bad is your OWN PERSONAL ability to handle the situations as they arise.

The ability to handle situations as they arise determines your level of maturity, NOT YOUR AGE.

I could be poor, living in a box, in a garbage dump and STILL have more maturity than someone living in a 10 million dollar mansion with 40 degrees in every science and pseudo science who has a bank account that has more money than most banks do.

My Maturity will help me realize that a garbage dump may be no place for a child, but as a human who needs to preserve his bloodline, doing so would be a mature decision, and showing that child HOW TO SURVIVE in a garbage dump would be a mature action. While the latter person would go out and have sex with a girl, get her pregnant and then leave her and continue to pay child support with no interaction with the child at all. THAT shows COMPLETE immaturity.
  • Daisy JustinW... 2010/11/16 07:21:47
    Daisy
    and all this is to show that a girl can get pregnant at 16 and be ok? no sweetie im not the ignorant. your whole time travel is respected but not matter how much you "blow your horn" it will never make it ok for a 16 year old to get pregnat Bottom Line. How about you have your daughter, if not yet, get pregnant to test her life skills considering that her ---

Maturity will help HER realize that a garbage dump may be no place for a child, but as a human who needs to preserve HER bloodline, doing so would be a mature decision, and showing that child HOW TO SURVIVE in a garbage dump would be a mature action.
  • mjw Daisy 2011/01/30 22:30:03
    mjw
    +3
    i think your comment is extremely rude im 16, im allergic to condoms, on the pill i bang on weight and im constantly depressed and i dont want the injection because iv discussed the pros and cons about having it and it wasnt the best option for me. so no condoms arent jus dished out to everyone, some people arent as confident as others to walk in to a clinic n ask for some or walk in a shop and buy them. my bestfriend is 16 and has a 4 month old and is a better mom than some women i see who are in there 30's ! you are quick to judge others but if you were in the situation to kill an innocent child who has already developed a spine and a brain and is able to think at just 1-9 weeks old what would you do? that image would haunt u for a long while. personally being pregnant at 16 isnt bad as long as you are ready for the responsibillities, know you are able to provide for that child for the rest of your life and are willing to devote your time, love and energy to maintaining its needs. and bratty kids from today? your comment was completely and utterly obnoxious, undermining and underestimating the young teens of our generation today. one day theyll be the ones that run this country if you dont like it? go ask the government to higher the consent of being able to have sex at 16 o...
    i think your comment is extremely rude im 16, im allergic to condoms, on the pill i bang on weight and im constantly depressed and i dont want the injection because iv discussed the pros and cons about having it and it wasnt the best option for me. so no condoms arent jus dished out to everyone, some people arent as confident as others to walk in to a clinic n ask for some or walk in a shop and buy them. my bestfriend is 16 and has a 4 month old and is a better mom than some women i see who are in there 30's ! you are quick to judge others but if you were in the situation to kill an innocent child who has already developed a spine and a brain and is able to think at just 1-9 weeks old what would you do? that image would haunt u for a long while. personally being pregnant at 16 isnt bad as long as you are ready for the responsibillities, know you are able to provide for that child for the rest of your life and are willing to devote your time, love and energy to maintaining its needs. and bratty kids from today? your comment was completely and utterly obnoxious, undermining and underestimating the young teens of our generation today. one day theyll be the ones that run this country if you dont like it? go ask the government to higher the consent of being able to have sex at 16 or even make a law that it is illegal to have a baby at a young age. but untill any of this has been introduced i think being pregnant at 16 is great as long as the responsibillities are taken into consideration.
  • felisha mjw 2011/08/25 06:26:55
    felisha
    +1
    I love your comment...honestly it made me feel better
  • Butterb... mjw 2012/02/10 23:18:33
    ButterbeerMe
    +1
    I agree with some of your post, but not your statement that said, "so no condoms arent jus dished out to everyone, some people arent as confident as others to walk in to a clinic n ask for some or walk in a shop and buy them."

If someone isn't "confident" enough, or they'd be too embarrased to buy the proper protection, then I'm sorry, but they're probably not honestly mature enough to be emotionally ready for sex, although they might convince themselves that they are.
  • Daisy mjw 2012/09/03 07:59:43
    Daisy
    "go ask the government to higher the consent of being able to have sex at 16 or even make a law that it is illegal to have a baby at a young age"

are you dumb? the question i answered was about whether it was an ok thing to be pregnant or not at 16 when there are so many ways to not get pregnant; not abortion. how bout u re-read the question asked here. kill an innocent child me? no darling, never, i take care of myself. Just because you are 16 and decided to keep the baby (which you are suppose to because you knew what you were getting into) does not mean they are more admirable than girls who actually in an intelligent manner finish atleast 2 yrs college and can support themselves. Undermining the teens from today?? no sweetie again, for those few who are actually mature enough good for you, but maturity also allows you to think clearly and you know you will offer a baby a better life if you plan them, therefore having one by accident....not so mature. So go ahead and get uptight all you want, truth is hard to swallow
  • carol Daisy 2012/02/10 13:15:34
    carol
    +2
    To daisy! Tbf you just stupid yourself yes you can buy comdom or go on the pill ect but.. My sister is 23 and she on the pill and got caught with my niece! You can't look down on 16 year olds just cuz they got pregnant it mite be by acident, you just sound like a selfish women! To be honest I believe women and men have been put on this earth to reperduce, fair anough there young but at the end of the day if they can cope with a baby let them get on with it, yes it is hard its even hard for 20 year old having a baby is always hard I think you need to think straigh and not just think of the bad point saying its always ther fault and that its immuture tbf you have to be mature to look after a baby and there not all bratty kids your just a stuck up cow that don't care about kids! So I think your the one that needs to grow up!
  • Butterb... carol 2012/02/10 23:20:03
    ButterbeerMe
    +1
    I'm honestly having a difficult time believing that English is your first language..
  • Daisy carol 2012/09/03 08:09:01
    Daisy
    Im stuck up? so at 16 what your a junior in highschool assuming you werent held back a year? you have your place? a good job? enough money for doctors, meds, food for a baby? When you have a baby you are suppose to be responsible. It's not something you get a star on your forehead for, it is something you are suppose to do. Yes it is dumb to get pregnant at 16 because you have so much more to offer and so much more things you could like ummmm lets see....here is a wild one, finish school and some college. Girls having sex is not the issue, it never was. Getting pregnant is where your stay like what? so many contraceptives and still pregnant...1+1=2, not the smart decision. "...its always ther fault and that its immuture..." that is your statement, calling a situation such as being pregnant as a fault, not the correct term. It takes two to tango but as a female you are the one who has control of your body. Be aware of contraceptives and tell your boyfriend to wear a condom. Simple.
  • beth Daisy 2012/05/10 00:35:34
    beth
    You think we are stupid, well i was raped at 15 and gave birth to my beautiful daughter at 16 and i know that getting pregnant wasn't my fault and im not stupid, so dont go judging people before you know their background!!
  • Daisy beth 2012/09/03 08:12:55
    Daisy
    be smart...ur case is not the common denominator. It was a general question, not a specific one such as your situation.
  • flaca BN-0 2010/04/07 15:10:39
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    is fun. you can always dump the kid on grandma to raise so you don't miss out on all the great times teenagers enjoy.
  • Sashaa-x 2010/04/07 13:08:21
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    Sashaa-x
    +4
  • daydream - believer 2010/04/07 12:35:29
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    daydream - believer
    +1
    ok, so its not the best thing to happen but i never look down on these girls.
  • straight answer 2010/04/07 12:20:02
    straight answer
    +1
    IT CAUSE TAX PAYER'S MONEY TO PROVIDE HEALTH CARE ETC TO THESE GROUP OF PEOPLE ( TO THINK INCREASING IN NUMBERS) i MYSELF IS NOT FAVOR ON EARLY PERGNANCY. UNLESS U DONT COLLECT CHILD BENEFIT THEN THAT WOULD BE GREAT. BE RESPONSIBLE AND FIND JOBS.
  • Daisy straigh... 2010/04/07 15:27:43 (edited)
    Daisy
    +1
    That is very true. I for one dont get financial aid for college anymore because im an independent 25 year old girl with no kids. therefore, I deserve no help b/c it is expected for every single penny of mine to be saved for school which is not cheap. Yet you have this 18 year old next to me who's pregnant for the 2nd time with a 2 year old who will receive financial aid. Us girls who take care of our bodies and are planning to get pregnant when we are READY are going one step to the back of the line (for financial help of any kind) for each of these dumb girls who pop out babies like nothing.
  • JustinW... Daisy 2010/10/15 20:47:41
  • Daisy JustinW... 2012/09/03 08:19:20
    Daisy
    +1
    Sure, im the dumb one, the one that planned all right, graduated with a bachelors, have a good job, got married and im blessed to be 2 weeks pregnant. Yeap, Im dumb. I didnt know that to be a better hardworking woman was to actually have a baby before accomplishing something in my life so I can fill my mouth of how I can do what you can and better and with a baby.
  • Butterb... JustinW... 2012/09/29 21:35:09
    ButterbeerMe
    +1
    There are so many things wrong with this entire post. But sweetie, a little word of advice, if you're going to call someone else dumb make sure you don't do or say something that makes you look ignorant and unintelligent. Such as talking about how you never went to school, making the assumption that girls who get knocked up early are smart and strategic and planned it on purpose, and consistently using the wrong version of "you're". (This is why school is important.)
  • carol Daisy 2012/02/10 13:35:35
  • Butterb... carol 2012/02/10 23:08:34
  • Daisy carol 2012/09/03 08:22:47
    Daisy
    +1
    wow, so when was the last time we had dinner that you kept me up to date with your life? The scenario you just played out..creative, but no not really. Im far from that flashback you had and it is unfortunate if you find yourself reflecting on what you just mentioned. Im sure you will find a man if not already.
  • carol straigh... 2012/02/10 13:30:44
    carol
    +1
    16 year olds do find flippping jobs! Everyone gets child benifts with a child anyway! So its not just 16 year old that take all the money from the goverment! There is nothing wrong as long as they have a roof over there head food and water there fine so stop thing so dump and belt up!
  • Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ 2010/04/07 12:06:06
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    Scott ヶBrony Of PHAETヶ
    +2
    Meh.

In many places all over the world it is legal but then again nature makes it "legal" at a younger age...depending on what you want in life i would not advice it however, but I will not condone someone for it ether.
  • Half-Ginger 2010/04/07 09:53:44
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    Half-Ginger
    +2
    Centuries ago girls were getting married as young as 13, or as soon as menstruation began, because that's when they were classified as young women. However, in today's society people don't 'come of age' until much later, so children are pampered and treated like kids until they are 18, so they then ACT and THINK like kids until that age. That's where all this not being 'mentally mature' shizzle comes from. Also it's difficult to cope financially - which is the real problem with it.

It depends whether you are going by nature's rules, or society's rules :) And if nothing else, it's LEGAL from 16 (in most places) so it shouldn't be an issue.
  • ErinGoBragh87 2010/04/07 09:17:08
    Getting pregnant at 16 is bad
    ErinGoBragh87
    +1
    well i think its bad because for one 16 year olds are still considered to be kids they are way to young to take up on the responsibilities of raising a kid, wouldn't you want to further your education and get a successful job, i mean your probably going to miss a lot of school days and probably fail some classes and maybe not be able to graduate as well not it takes a lot of work to raise a child and its a fact that most kids at that age just wouldn't be able to handle that
  • aneed2know 2010/04/07 09:16:36 (edited)
    Getting pregnant at 16 is bad
    aneed2know
    Very bad, you have not even lived your life yet and you are going to help some one else live, come on. lived life live
  • ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~ 2010/04/07 09:02:36
    Getting pregnant at 16 is bad
    ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~
    now its not a very good thing to do things are different then they used to be. at 16 girls are in school still, guys are less likely to grow up & help out. its hard to support the child as well since there arent any good jobs you can get with out a HS diploma.
  • Trix 2010/04/07 08:27:35
    Getting pregnant at 16 is bad
    Trix
    +1
    idk. in my opinion, i think it's too young, too early to have kids. you have all the time to have kids when you finish school. and when you do that, you might actually have a proper job to pay for bills, food etc.

but its their life. if they wanna ruin it then ok. fine with me.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2010/04/07 07:59:29
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    "Oh others at my school and it used to be normal" is a rationale? lol.....why is this not funny?
  • ButterbeerMe 2010/04/07 07:35:58
    I think that getting pregant at 16...
    ButterbeerMe
    +1
    The reason 16 year olds years ago were married at 16 was because they behaved like women. 16 year olds now look and act like children. I see class photos of high school classes back in the fifties and sixties and every one of the students looks like grown men and women. Also women aren't looking to settle down by the time they're 18 anymore, It's probably somewhere from 25 to 35. Women also have more responsibilities these days and can't just depend on their husbands to bring money home to them and the babies. They have to get jobs now and support themselves! It would be a lot more irresponsible for a 16 year old to get pregnant now than it would be for one to get pregnant 50-100 years ago. Maybe not more shocking, but definitely more irresponsible.

2014/04/19 08:14:22