Is demagoguery on Sodahead so complete that sides are incapable of seeing the good and/or humanity in one another?

melly~thwarting Satan since 1971 2012/04/29 20:15:26
Is all you see is liberal or conservative? Is there never a point at which we can embrace the humanity in one another?

I was recently attacked and accused of not paying taxes--I'm a liberal, so OF COURSE that means I'm on welfare. I explained that I do, and got a kind apology for the attack. It was unexpected and very welcomed. I also apologized for, in my defense, calling this person a name and thanked him. I looked at the raves on the exchange, and found them odd. See for yourself. http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/if-romney-wins-america-...

Are you able to reward kindness when you see it, even when it doesn't come from someone you like? Are you able to condemn ugly behavior when it's from the people you do?

• CertifiedSmartAss 2012/12/25 02:14:14
  • melly~t... Certifi... 2012/12/25 03:03:01
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +1
    I agree.
  • Certifi... melly~t... 2012/12/25 21:25:16
  • ChrisK1969 2012/06/25 17:30:00
  • Melizmatic 2012/05/01 17:57:23
    Melizmatic
    +1
    I see and assess people based upon what they say and how they act; not whatever divisive labels they choose to saddle themselves with.
  • C. C. Rider 2012/04/30 20:00:49
    C. C. Rider
    +4
    Melly, I have been called so many names on here I yearn for the good old days when they just called me libtard and commie. lol

But there is segment on SH that no matter what you do they are going to respond in RWNJ hate talking points, that is all there is to it. You were made a victim of that on your post that you hold as an example. They could care less if you pay taxes, the comment is only meant to get you to stop posting. Kinda like the ole..."you are a slut" hoping it shames you into running away. WE are way PAST that.
  • ally 2012/04/30 19:56:36 (edited)
    ally
    +4
    There are those who do live outside the SH box and have the decency to carry on a conversation without the vile names attached to it. We have even become friends, in some cases. They are few and far between.
  • oldlady 2012/04/30 19:45:04
    oldlady
    +6
    Wow, a diamond post in the rough for sure. I have been avoiding political posts for a while now because of so much ignorant feedback. The snakes are a dime a dozen here melly. They smile in your face while stabbing you in the back. These people are the garbage on the internet, in their familys and society in general :/

• ken 2012/04/30 12:32:12
    ken
    +2
    Unfortunately, most people on that post think there's some huge difference between the two fellas running in this election. Obama spent close to a billion dollars last election and will likely spend even more this time, especially when you add the millions in taxpayer dollars he'll spend this time. I doubt Romney will be able to match that no matter how rich he is. Further, neither one of those fellas have anything in common with the bulk of the American citizenry.

To answer your original question, many on SH can and do try to be civil but there are always those that won't. As a side note, to edit your answers after the fact is a bit dishonest, IMO. Once when I was attacked and responded in kind, the guy edited his comments and reported me to moderators and I was warned that my next offense could cause a suspension.
  • Tunnel Vision 2012/04/30 08:41:58
    Tunnel Vision
    +3
    I don't pick sides. I support what I see as right, no matter what "team" endorses it.
  • Piper 2012/04/30 03:33:26
    Piper
    +4
    You asked a lot of questions there. I was shocked at first, by the inane accusations and judgments towards individuals that I see on SH, based simply on whether someone calls themselves a Liberal or a Conservative. Didn't take long to get over being shocked, but it still makes me kind of sick.
    Yes, I am able to reward kindness when I see it. Yes, I am able to condemn ugly behavior from people I like, when I see it. That last one doesn't work out so well, sometimes. Great post, Melly.
  • rand 2012/04/30 02:37:32
    rand
    +2
    I'm an old Goldwater Republican from the era when the GOP was "the party of reason". As Brent Scrowcroft said on GPS this morning, we're now termed RINOs, so I guess that's why I catch criticism from both sides of the aisle.
  • rand 2012/04/30 02:35:32
    rand
    +1
  • Bozette 2012/04/30 00:30:16
    Bozette
    +5
    I would like to think I see beyond lib/con, Dem/Rep, religion/atheist, etc. I have SH friends in all "groups" that I truly like, even though we don't agree on everything, or nearly anything in some cases. I have found that there are points of agreement with most people and can have friendly exchanges with people of all ideologies. Hell, some people are just fun!

What does bother me, and I have been guilty of it as well, is when what someone says is automatically dismissed because they are on the "other" side. Even those who are of opposing beliefs sometimes say something I agree with, yet few will listen because they completely disregard that person (or organization) as wrong.

It is very easy, especially on a forum such as SH, to stereotype others, to assume things not said, to react in anger...we should all slow it down a bit, think of others as the fellow human beings that they are, and afford others the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes we need to walk away, calm down, chill out...then come back and respond.
  • Dramha ... Bozette 2012/05/01 23:54:26
  • TheMadChameleon 2012/04/29 23:27:16 (edited)
    TheMadChameleon
    +6
    We are all much more than "liberal" or "conservative". I am liberal, yes, and I will go ahead and accept that label, but I have met several lovely conservatives on this site, not to mention the ones I know in real life. And ugly behavior is ugly behavior, no matter which side it comes from.
  • PrettieReptar 2012/04/29 22:11:17
    PrettieReptar
    +4
    I think the word I'd use to is "civility".

I'd like to see Civic virtue (values) make a comeback.
  • Dandydon 2012/04/29 22:04:35
    Dandydon
    +7
    I try to always be respectful,even when i'm getting disrespected.
    Once in a while,some people just don't know when to end a argument and even when i try to be nice about it and end it,they still want to continue.

That's when i start feeling a slight headache starting to build up.
    Then it's too late for Tylenol.

hulk
  • Q Dandydon 2012/04/29 22:19:44
    Q
    +4
    Sure you are Don, you're always so civil and respectful here.
  • Dandydon Q 2012/04/29 22:29:45
    Dandydon
    +6
    Thanks and unlike you,i won't hold a grudge and lose sleep because of a argument i had with someone.
    Let me guess,you're a perfect little angel,right?

Have a nice day....
  • Q Dandydon 2012/04/29 22:36:57
    Q
    +5
    I never claimed to be a perfect angel let alone lose any sleep over a silly internet argument, I just remembered that exchange because it was our only interaction and it contradicted your claim about always trying to be civil.

May you have a nice evening as well.
  • Truth M... Dandydon 2012/04/29 23:10:57 (edited)
    Truth Matters
    +2
    Dandydon rules!
  • Dandydon Truth M... 2012/04/30 00:03:34
    Dandydon
    +1
    Back at ya!
  • Dandydon Dandydon 2012/04/30 00:07:41
    Dandydon
    +2
    Hey gorilla man(below me),nice that you spew your vile then block me.
    What a joke.. Oh yea and when someone blocks me,i block them back.

Enjoy...
  • Bingo's... Dandydon 2012/04/29 23:06:09
    Bingo's Faddah
    C'mon Dan! Not when you write crap like "I already know all about it and your opinion,is just that,your opinion.." No one knows all about anything. Folks that think they do historically have an alien fixation, especially with the anal probing thing. Now, you're not willing to admit to that, are you? So your problem is three fold: You know that you know, you think you're civil, and you can't get the anal thing out of your head.
  • ken Dandydon 2012/04/30 12:34:04
    ken
    +2
    I wish I had your resolve.
  • Sir Bud. 2012/04/29 21:46:26
    Sir Bud.
    +7
    Yes I do..No problem.
  • Archer ~ The Limit Break of... 2012/04/29 21:43:14
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +4
    yes. unfortunately. Or at least most of each side is incapable.
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/04/29 21:40:12
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +7
    That was a good exchange Melly.I like to think I try to see the humanity in most people.
  • melly~t... CAROLYN... 2012/04/29 21:45:27
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +6
    I think you do.
  • seattleman 2012/04/29 21:31:03
    seattleman
    +5
    For most? Sadly - yes. For me, personally? No, I try to see the good and/or humanity in others. It's not always easy.
  • melly~t... seattleman 2012/04/29 21:31:30 (edited)
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +4
    It sure isn't, love. Easy, I mean.
  • Heptarch 2012/04/29 21:30:37
    Heptarch
    +2
    I reward kindness with kindness. Ugliness with ugliness. Respectful discourse with respectful discourse.
  • Sir Bud. Heptarch 2012/04/30 20:06:44
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    But what about,-"...Do unto others as you would have others do to you.."?
  • Heptarch Sir Bud. 2012/04/30 22:30:29
    Heptarch
    +2
    That doesn't work. Not in here, anyway. I've found it far more effective to give each person a chance to show what sort of conversation they want to have with me. Those who are inclined to respect and kindness will show it right away. Those who are here for confrontation and disrespect, likewise.
  • Sir Bud. Heptarch 2012/05/01 00:17:18
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    OK.Just don't digest the crap.Ignore it instead of"do as the Romans do in Rome"!.lol.

If people have a problem,its there's not yours.You can only be insulted with your consent.The punch has hit you,if you hit back and although you may feel better,a little bit of their poison stays in our system and when that process goes on and on a personality Metamorphosis can happen-we become like"them"and start punching first and feel justified.Just saying.
  • Heptarch Sir Bud. 2012/05/01 13:01:13
  • Sir Bud. Heptarch 2012/05/01 14:48:41
    Sir Bud.
    +1
    Yes I know what you mean-give them back some of their own medicine.When all else has failed sometimes I do that also, but I also at the same time try to give them a way out, in the sense that they can if they wanted to-respond not with a closed fist and a "punch", but with an open hand to shake hands.
  • Heptarch Sir Bud. 2012/05/01 14:52:58
    Heptarch
    +2
    Again, agreed. I do that as well. There are times during contentious discussion where, if the person actually makes a point, I will give them credit and attempt to engage them on it. I do this in the hopes that they will extend me the same courtesy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
  • Sir Bud. Heptarch 2012/05/01 14:59:53

2014/07/30 15:20:17