Is Clothing for Girls Too Sexy?

Have you noticed that today's little girls don't look quite like they used to?

A new study finds that 25 percent of the clothing for girls (not adolescents) on the websites of 15 popular U.S. stores had both sexualizing and childlike features; 4 percent had only sexualized characteristics; 69 percent had only childlike characteristics; and 4 percent had neither sexualized nor childlike elements, UPI reports.

Still, that's a troubling 29 percent.

"Sexualizing" clothes most frequently emphasized the breasts and buttocks, Kenyon College researchers say.

"Confused parents might be persuaded to buy the leopard-print miniskirt if it's bright pink," the authors claim. "Clearly, sexiness is still visible beneath the bows or tie-dye colors. We propose that dressing girls in this way could contribute to socializing them into the narrow role of the sexually objectified woman."

Do you agree? Or is it harmless when little girls dress "sexy"?

Read More: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/05/10/One-thir...

• * Ángel de la Muerte * 2011/05/16 02:55:50
    * Ángel de la Muerte *
    No.....
  • BlaKStudio 2011/05/16 02:46:10
    BlaKStudio
    +3
    There is a difference between to sexy and inappropriate. I think it is to often the issue today that ladies often wear to revealing clothing and eye catchers. I believe it is less that their clothing is to sexy and more that they wear clothing media teaches them is acceptable. The issue is that this "fashion" is so acceptable and often looked for that very few people openly combat the fad successfully.
  • jokeriser 2011/05/16 02:37:23
    jokeriser
    grandpa in my day women had class and blah blah blah.
  • jokeriser 2011/05/16 02:37:19
    jokeriser
    +1
  • Angelic Kitty 2011/05/16 02:21:43 (edited)
    Angelic Kitty
    +17
    Little girls should look like this.

girls little girl

Not like this

girls
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?...

Also not wearing really short shorts with "cutie" or "juicy" on the butt or really short skirts will fishnets and heels. It's sad to see what some of the parents will let their kids wear...

As long as parents keep buying them, they will keep making them. =/
  • nancydo... Angelic... 2011/05/16 03:41:44
    nancydoodle
    I used to look like the little girl in the first picture lol I still have all my pics from the early 90's that's how kids should still look lol
  • OnTheEd... Angelic... 2011/05/16 04:13:22
    OnTheEdgeOfInsanity
    I use to look like that first little girl. As for the second picture you posted, I am appalled that their parents allowed them to wear those outfits.
    BTW, love your avatar and name. :)
  • Wizard 2011/05/16 02:20:11
    Wizard
    +1
    I've seen posts on this before...
    It is really up the parents, most will tell you.

But...if you ANALYZE society - advancing societies...they really are forming the global village, not just technically, but socially as well. More westerners, despite all the threats of terrorism, travel more than ever before. It dropped off for the recession, but is returning with gusto. The clothing style reflects that global village attitude that is slowly gaining strength among those who have connections overseas. You'll notice it is no longer just Americanization, but an explosion of New Age Culture that is wiping across young people in not only Western Society, but in Asia as well. In actuality, everyone is paying attention to everyone ELSE.

I do not think this is a new phenomena. Back when we lived in villages, girls and boys were treated as adults by age 7. This is us just noticing how fast the pre-pubecent ages adapt, if exposed to mature cultural influences. We know from our life experiences that preschoolers in Western Culture start to become discriminating consumers by age 2, and are adamant about their CHOICES by age 4, to the point of a temper tantrum. (We all know the drill.) They are making subtle choices in music and culture, although they will wander between the Preschool Musi...

I've seen posts on this before...

I do not think this is a new phenomena. Back when we lived in villages, girls and boys were treated as adults by age 7. This is us just noticing how fast the pre-pubecent ages adapt, if exposed to mature cultural influences. We know from our life experiences that preschoolers in Western Culture start to become discriminating consumers by age 2, and are adamant about their CHOICES by age 4, to the point of a temper tantrum. (We all know the drill.) They are making subtle choices in music and culture, although they will wander between the Preschool Music genre...and their older siblings music collections.

According to child psychology (I took two years as a minor, btw, back in the 70's), female children form a 'love map' by age 8. By this age, 95% of HOW they will treat or react to their future partner is already locked-in their subconscious. It is ALSO the age (8) where determinations in fashion are generally formulated into a more fixed state. She will cry relentlessly until Mom buys her an outfit that appeases...and peer pressure starts EARLY nowadays...so naturally, her GF's start feeling the pressure to KEEP up, except TomBoys.

Welcome to the 21st Century Global Village.

naturally gfs feeling pressure tomboys 21st century global village global village
  • GLaDOS 2011/05/16 02:17:52
    GLaDOS
    +2
    In general, yes, it is. I know the types of clothes they wear now are NOTHING like what I wore when I was little, OR what these two little girls I knew wore when they were. That covers the 80's and 90's.
  • Jaynane 2011/05/16 02:06:37
    Jaynane
    +1
    I tend to lean towards thinking that young girls do dress way to provocatively, but from the photo submitted....what's with the Tammy Faye Baker bad make-up job? dress provocatively photo submitted tammy faye baker make-up job Tammy Faye Baker
  • carrotcat 2011/05/16 02:05:04
    carrotcat
    +1
    I've seen little girls wear crop tops... it's just so sad
  • Lanikai 2011/05/16 02:04:21
    +3
    being a mom to a 10 year old, YES it is.

Why does the girl in the middle look like someone punched her in the eyes?
  • Molko-Addict 2011/05/16 02:02:33
    Molko-Addict
    +3
    they will have more than 30 years to wear as sexy as they want, let's just let the little girls dress like little girls until they're old enough.
    i hate looking at 8 year-old girlies using miniskirts or strapless tops ugh
    what happened to dresses? i use to wear dresses when i was a kid :(
  • harasnicole 2011/05/16 02:01:41
    harasnicole
    In some clothing department stores, yeah. Not all, but some. Perhaps most.
  • My Names RAWR 2011/05/16 01:57:00
    My Names RAWR
    +1
    i meant to press yes!!!!!
  • MCR 2011/05/16 01:53:28
    MCR
    +1
    Their parents and family are the one who buys it for them. They are the enablers. I know for a fact if i wore something that should alot of skin my dad would have my head. He even tells me to put on a hoodie when i wear a vneck shirt. He doesnt like ke to where that stuff around him.
  • sodabox 2011/05/16 01:50:11 (edited)
    sodabox
    +1
    I agree, clothing is too sexy. They shouldn't wear any clothing at all. Their birthday suit is all they really need.
  • Hales 2011/05/16 01:26:15
    Hales
    +10
    Remember when little girls and boys wore simple cute dresses and shirts? Whatever happened to that innocent era?

girls boys wore simple cute dresses shirts innocent era simple clothes for girls
  • Little Miss Monster 2011/05/16 01:11:17
    Little Miss Monster
    +4
    I don't understand what the point of this all is. Why are people trying to make girls into sex magnets? Why can't the girls just be little innocent girls while they still can? I'm disgusted by this--as well as by the fact that even adolescents are being sexualized. What is the point of women always being cast as forced to look sexy? Honestly, I wear what I want to wear. If you don't like it, too bad. What's with all of the expectations of woman always having to dress so sexily? I don't see the same expectations of men...
  • Happy 2011/05/16 00:54:47 (edited)
  • Marissa 2011/05/16 00:45:56 (edited)
    Marissa
    +9
    This is just sad...who are their parents?!?!
  • ♥Hannah... Marissa 2011/05/16 02:07:14
  • OnTheEd... Marissa 2011/05/16 04:14:59
    OnTheEdgeOfInsanity
    I think I'm going to be sick. The people cheering should be ashamed.
  • blood_c... Marissa 2011/05/16 05:05:15
    blood_countess
    +2
    are u effin serious!!!!!!!!!!!! no effin way wud i let my kids do that!!!!!!!! dont care how much money they cud win. no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! effin effin wud kids care money cud win omg
  • Marissa blood_c... 2011/05/18 00:26:32
    Marissa
    I know its just sickening....
  • Neko-Si... Marissa 2011/06/21 22:40:44
  • Munster 2011/05/16 00:40:52
    Munster
    +1
    Around here I see a lot of younger girls dressing in very revealing tops as well as skin tight pants. Not sure why skinny jeans are in but you can basically see every nook and cranny of a woman's lower body in these. Some of the tops are very sheer and revealing. It would be okay if something was worn underneath, but sometimes this is not always the case.
  • jackie *<:) 2011/05/16 00:35:13
    jackie *<:)
    +3
    I was visiting my little cousins one day and they wore ripped tank tops...they are 10 and 12. I told them to change out if their outfits. they were confused because mommy said it was "ok" and that troubled me.

I was ten not so long ago and i never even thought of wearing a ripped tank top..
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2011/05/16 00:32:26
  • Arrayist1 2011/05/16 00:28:00
    Arrayist1
    +6

This might be influential. Not saying Bratz dolls are evil or whatever, but children have a new concept of what looks normal.
  • Imperfect*Love 2011/05/16 00:26:57
    Imperfect*Love
    It depends. The way some girls dress at my high school, i would have to say yes, but you have to consider who pays for their clothes. their parents,right?and who allows them to dress like that. their parents right? but then their is a difference between teen girls, little girls, and grown women.
    the little girl clothing is cute not sexy. when it comes to the teen girl clothing again it depends. it depends how u wear it and what u wear it with. cute sexy teen girl clothing depends depends wear wear teen girl clothes
    these are cute and appropiate not too sexy. then their is this girl clothing depends depends wear wear cute appropiate sexy miley cyrus
  • daddys girl 2011/05/16 00:24:38
    daddys girl
    yea young age prob ganna be sluts but its thier choose better than botox
  • Relay 2011/05/16 00:15:32
    Relay
    +2
    well 8 is the new 30.
    i know, its kinda sad.
  • blackrings70 2011/05/16 00:07:49
    blackrings70
    Its amazing how hostile some of the answers are to this question.
  • Nøkkenbuer 2011/05/16 00:06:27
    Nøkkenbuer
    +1
    Tell me, is this appropriate?

child model
  • TKramar Nøkkenbuer 2011/05/16 00:08:40
    TKramar
    +1
    to sleep in...
  • Nøkkenbuer TKramar 2011/05/16 00:11:15
    Nøkkenbuer
    Yeah, but out in public? At the beach? In the pool?
  • TKramar Nøkkenbuer 2011/05/16 00:24:17
    TKramar
    It covers more skin than a bikini would. Perfectly okay for the beach or pool.

But not for public attire. I've seen teens wearing bikini tops in public without a coverup. That top covers more. And they do at least have on jeans or shorts.
  • Nøkkenbuer TKramar 2011/05/16 01:03:06
    Nøkkenbuer
    +1
    It's not the clothing, per-se. It's the clothing in relation to the age of the person wearing it - in this case, the youth of the young girl.
  • TKramar Nøkkenbuer 2011/05/16 01:16:23
    TKramar
    +1
    I don't really approve of adult women wearing bikinis into Subway. Certain clothing has an appropriate place and is inappropriate in others.

2014/10/25 16:14:34