Is Chelsea Clinton Setting a Bad Example?

jt 2010/07/30 16:44:51

• Mulder 2010/07/30 18:17:45
    Mulder
    +5
    The author of the article, Brett Arends, is off-base.

Mr. Arends attempts to blame Chelsea for an expensive wedding, and compares her wedding to Jenna Bush's wedding. In both cases, and in most weddings where it's the bride's first wedding, the wedding is funded by the bride's parents, not the bride.

He wants to make a case for saving the money, instead of spending it, insinuating Chelsea, or any bride, has that choice. The author attempts to make a case for saving the money for financial security, rather than having an expensive wedding.

The author states:
    "In these circumstances, saving money instead of spending it matters very much."

Mr. Arends, it doesn't matter if the money stays in the parents' bank, or goes to pay for wedding expenses; the bride suffers no monetary loss or gain.

Maybe the Clintons feel that Chelsea deserve whatever they can give her because, unlike the Bush daughters, Chelsea stayed out of the limelight and out of trouble.

• sheebe 2010/08/04 03:07:14
    sheebe
    +1
    I agree with what Mulder had said. He makes a great point. Chelsea did stay out of trouble and out of the Media.
  • BlondieBrownEyes 2010/08/03 23:42:29
  • Tina 2010/08/02 17:51:27
    Tina
    +2
    I really don't see why this is such news. She is getting married and Hillary & Bill are footing the bill. Who cares? They can spend their money however they like. I just hope my tax dollars aren't going to pay for any of the security.
  • bob 2010/08/02 15:14:27 (edited)
    bob
    The only person setting a bad example here is the media shoving this useless "news" in everyones faces. It would not be an example to set if no one saw or heard about it.

Hell if anyone is setting a bad example when it comes to wasting money i would put my gov't and your SS (secret service) as a shinning example. They say "no we do not have the funding to keep our police force top notch". The next month we hear that the War chief Obama is coming over to get a peace prize (of all things) and then all of a suddun my gov't just has almost 20 million Usd just lieing around to use on your SS required security for the entire 24hr visit.
  • Beccy 2010/07/31 17:48:44
    +1
    Chelsea is her parents only child, If this makes them happy let them have their party.
  • bluejacket 2010/07/31 03:14:52
    bluejacket
    Setting a bad example? Compared to who? Her father?

Not even close. Go for it Chelsea.
  • NickName his Dudeness 2010/07/31 01:48:50
    NickName his Dudeness
    Seems like kind of a waste of money to me, but why would I look to her as an example anyway? Her life is nothing like mine or just about anybody else's for that matter.
  • Max7 2010/07/31 00:06:29
    Max7
    +1
    If Chelsea can have the wedding of her deams, I say go for it! After all her father was President of the United States.
  • MW121 2010/07/30 23:08:13
    MW121
    For what....
  • Shirleywillow 2010/07/30 22:21:51
    Shirleywillow
    +1
    I think Chelsea Clinton can do whatever she wants. She was never elected to any office,so why would anyone have the right to say she is setting a bad example?
  • ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva 2010/07/30 20:51:53
    ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva
    +2
    Why shouldn't she have her wedding the way she wants it? Her parents have the savings to pay for it so why shouldn't they give their only child the most special day that they can? She's always been a good kid. I wish her a happy union.
  • kmay 2010/07/30 20:08:40
    kmay
    It's her choice, however....

Most multimillion dollar weddings fade as fast as the cash and the day!
  • jimmy kmay 2010/07/31 15:14:02
    jimmy
    does anybody know how much this costing the american taxpayer for all the protection there providing. Its more than likely millions and to me that money could going to americans who need it not some high cost wedding.
  • C. C. Rider 2010/07/30 20:00:00
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    JT....come on....we are talking Mothers and Daughters and a WEDDING!!! something MEN just will never understand.....until they get the bill!!! Chelsea deserves all the wonderful things her parents are able to give her...I will over look the question since it was asked by a man....lol...
  • Bob S C. C. R... 2010/08/05 14:48:17
    Bob S
    +1
    maybe that's why the father always gives them away. You are only talking mothers and daughters.
  • C. C. R... Bob S 2010/08/05 14:53:22
  • Cathy 2010/07/30 19:48:13
    Cathy
    No, Chelsea isn't setting a bad example, for what and to whom? This is her "great day" but you know...only the "rich & famous people" can do this! "CONGRATULATIONS" Chelsea!!!
  • kevracer 2010/07/30 19:41:54
    kevracer
    +2
    as the linked article itself says "Spending a fortune on a wedding is a choice"

Leave the poor girl alone, it's her wedding
  • Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum 2010/07/30 19:37:09
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    Why is it anyone's business? The rich who have money should spend their money to stimulate the economy. Why should the Clintons be any exception? What better way to spend their money than on a celebration they will remember for the rest of their lives?
  • GoddessMother 2010/07/30 19:36:36
    GoddessMother
    They have to right to spend whatever they want and have as lavish a wedding as they want. This doesn't make them a bad example in that respect, it makes them hypocrites and in that respect bad examples.
  • Mulder Goddess... 2010/07/30 19:59:41
    Mulder
    +2
    Can you explain how having a lavish wedding is hypocritical?
  • Goddess... Mulder 2010/08/03 17:26:41
    GoddessMother
    The liberals, and the Clinton's are included in this, constantly demonize the rich as evil, and how they should have greater and greater amounts of their wealth taken from them and given to those who have less. By having a lavish wedding they are epitomizing the rich evil elite who flaunt their wealth and gained their wealth at the expense of the poor. If they really had as much concerned and compassion for the poor the money they spent on excessive and "lavish" wedding accommodations should have been voluntarily given to charity or the poor.

Personally, I celebrate the lavish wedding. It makes much more sense to me for rich people to spend their wealth which brings employment to a great number of people than to have their wealth confiscated just to be redistributed by the government to people who do nothing to earn it. But that my dear friend is capitalism, and has been touted as greedy and evil by the Clinton's and their ilk...
  • Mulder Goddess... 2010/08/03 19:48:11
    Mulder
    +1
    You specifically declared that the Clinton's, " ... have to right to spend whatever they want and have as lavish a wedding as they want."

You then said, "This doesn't make them a bad example in that respect, it makes them hypocrites ... ."

In effect, you said the the Clinton's are hypocrites because they're spending a lot of money on a wedding.

Do you have some information that the Clintons have criticized others for spending money on a lavish wedding? That's what we're talking about.

You've nuanced this discussion into a claim that all liberals, and the Clintons "demonize the rich as evil." I disagree. What we demonize is GREED, corporate and individual. What we demonize are corporations taking jobs to other countries to increase profits, without regard for the American worker. I'm sure most liberals would agree that activity is unAmerican, since it's not in the best interest of American workers.

Bill Clinton has made philanthropy his full time job. He has to go to these wealthy people and ask for contributions. I don't think he's going to be criticizing those from whom he solicits contributions.
  • Bob S Mulder 2010/08/05 14:49:43
    Bob S
    I think he ws a philander in the Oval Offce. He gave away alot of things..
  • Mulder Bob S 2010/08/05 14:54:06
    Mulder
    +1
    I respect your opinion. Thanks for your response.
  • Billyk75 2010/07/30 19:01:40
    Billyk75
    I don't pay attention to Chelsea so I can't really say.
  • carrotcat 2010/07/30 19:01:01
    carrotcat
    It's probably because she's an only child
  • Maria 2010/07/30 18:37:26
    Maria
    having simple sweet wedding and not have to have biggest wedding ever and costly way over your head. simple sweet wedding wedding costly head
  • Mulder 2010/07/30 18:17:45
    Mulder
    +5

The author states:

• Fannie Mulder 2010/07/30 18:52:21 (edited)
    Fannie
    +3
    She's their only child, and this daughter has been spit on, and treated nasty & cruelty by the media. She has a wonderful relationship with her parents, and she has done remarkably well for herself. I'm going to be a Chelsea watcher here out.
  • Bob S Mulder 2010/08/05 14:46:19
    Bob S
    Somehow you managed to blame the Bushes for something.
  • Mulder Bob S 2010/08/05 15:03:31
    Mulder
    Assuming you read the article in order to prepare for an informed discussion, I'm sure you are aware that the author is the party which brought the Bush name into the discussion. I suggest you direct your complaint towards the author.
  • Bob S 2010/07/30 18:06:05
    Bob S
    +5
    Let me preface my answer by saying that I'm no Clinton fan. Having said that I believe if you have it, flaunt it. Chelsea has done nothing wrong and has stayed out of the lime light. It is her day and I say go for it. They aren't likey to go in debt for such a lavish event. CONGRATULATIONS Chelsea.
  • MOM - LOL@Silly.St.Sarah.of... 2010/07/30 17:58:21
    MOM - LOL@Silly.St.Sarah.of.Wasilly
    +4
    She's the only child of a past President, First Lady and the current secretary of state. They have the money and the means to have such a spectacular wedding for two lovely young people. They also have many people they are socially and politically obligated to invite, snubbing anyone of them to save a e few dollars would not be appropriate under any circumstance.
    I wish the young couple much happiness and Joy.
  • Dagon 2010/07/30 17:51:47
  • Bob S Dagon 2010/07/30 18:09:17
    Bob S
    +1
    Your answer was pretty good until your last question. Do you reall care if she is a virgin. Were you????
  • Dagon Bob S 2010/07/30 18:41:50
  • Sofahead 2010/07/30 17:51:02 (edited)
    Sofahead
    +1
    For a famously cheap famiy, a 3 million dollar waste
    Or as usual they found a way to get someone else to pay for it.
  • Epistemically Justified -- BN7 2010/07/30 17:35:30
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +2
    Her family is wealthy, therefore she is able to indulge in an extravagant wedding. She is an only child, and with any luck will only marry once and live happily with her husband. For a once-in-a-lifetime experience, she and her family are willing to spend the money to make it what Chelsea and her fiance want the celebration to be.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2010/07/30 17:34:44

2014/12/18 10:36:52