Is Canada socialist?

flaca BN-0 2011/12/07 02:53:34
Related Topics: Canada

is it working?
How do they stand fiscally?

• Shawna 2011/12/07 04:40:06
    Shawna
    +4
    To the best of my knowledge, income and employment is rising more in Canada than any other G7 nation and the prices for most of our commodities are good too. I recently down loaded a huge document about Canada's fiscal state but I have barely begun to wade through it. I wish it came with the Cole's Notes version.

• seathanaich 2012/03/12 21:39:49
    seathanaich
    +1
    Socialist? No.

Have socialist elements and programmes? Of course.

All civilised societies do. Education system, military, health system, police, highways - any society that doesn't "socialise" these services is either (a) completely bankrupt, or (b) a society ruled by warlords and criminals rather than by a central legitimate authority.
  • Rocko 2012/03/11 07:23:38
    Rocko
    +1
    i think were doing pretty good considering our political landscape
  • Zombie Saddam 2011/12/07 10:55:58 (edited)
    Zombie Saddam
    +1
    The ironic thing is that one of the most Liberal administrations of the United States of America has been greeted by one of the most Conservative administrations of Canada. They're fairly well off. They've combined the best aspects of European social democracy and American free-market capitalism. They have strong banks and businesses, have not had to prop up their market, and have had low unemployment. Canada is a very economically stable country.
  • seathan... Zombie ... 2012/03/12 21:45:17
    seathanaich
    +1
    "one of the most Liberal administrations of the United States of America has been greeted by one of the most Conservative administrations of Canada."

Canadians and Americans are "liberal" and "conservative" about different things, so this comparision is largely meaningless. The current Conservative administration in Canada moved quickly to reassure foreign gay couples that their marriages in Canada will be defended legally by Canadian courts. The current "liberal" administration in the US doesn't even preside over a nation where gay marriage is universally legal yet. Apples and oranges.

Where Canada is today socially, the US will follow in a decade or two. Today, 25% of Canadians (of all ages) are atheists (as defined as those who say "no" when asked "do you believe in any gods"). That's about the same as the percentage of Americans under age 25%. As the US discards religion generally and Christianity specifically, it will discard all the other socially backwards things that separate the US from First World societies (evolution denial, climate change denial, anti-intellecutualism, anti-gay bigotry, etc).
  • La 2011/12/07 07:00:58
    La
    +2
    No....Canada is not socialist.

"Canada closely resembles the U.S. in its market-oriented economic system, and pattern of production"
  • Shawna 2011/12/07 04:40:06
    Shawna
    +4
  • Rocko Shawna 2012/03/11 07:23:01
    Rocko
    we do have alot t be thankful for but theres alot of really crappy things going on politically
  • Shawna Rocko 2012/03/11 17:50:46
    Shawna
    +1
    There always is. No political party is ever going to get it completely right.
  • Rocko Shawna 2012/03/12 03:43:44
    Rocko
    +1
    i know but do they have to go so far overboard with screwing up
  • lm1b2 2011/12/07 04:26:51
    lm1b2
    +2
    Yes,to a certain extent,and it seems to be working fine.Thats more then I can say for our Corrupt Government!
  • Mrs. Kathy Arch 2011/12/07 04:23:35
    Mrs. Kathy Arch
    +3
    Nah, they are MARXISTS!!!!!! Just KIDDING Shawna! Canada is a bit more liberal on average than we in the US, but hey, it's their country!
  • Shawna 2011/12/07 04:22:08
    Shawna
    +4
    We are in pretty good shape. There is always room for improvement but we are holding up fairly well. We didn't have the housing bubble you guys did so although the market is stalling right now, we don't have masses of people losing their homes or taking great financial losses on them. I often get attacked and have to listen to Canada being put down by some of the crazy right wingers here, but I put that down to jealousy.
  • seathan... Shawna 2012/03/12 21:46:17
    seathanaich
    +1
    It's not jealousy, it's ignorance. They'd have to actually know something in order to be jealous of it.
  • Shawna seathan... 2012/03/13 02:25:12
    Shawna
    Did you get that storm last night? I lost power for several hours. I heard the gusts were up to 104 km/hr
  • SpecialKrazyK! 2011/12/07 03:06:40 (edited)
    SpecialKrazyK!
    +3
    i dont know but the sure dont wash their mini vans on the way down to florida...lol..i have spoken to a few..and they def are liberals...
  • Shawna Special... 2011/12/07 04:19:17
    Shawna
    +2
    Yes, we are more liberal than the US but we aren't socialists. Our Conservative party which has power right now, is probably more like your Democrat party. Our so called Liberal party is centre and there is a party called The New Democratic party that is our left/kinda socialist party.
  • Special... Shawna 2011/12/07 13:28:32
    SpecialKrazyK!
    +2
    didnt really call u a socialist...
  • Shawna Special... 2011/12/07 20:45:51
    Shawna
    I know you didn't, but you said you didn't know so I gave you an answer.

2014/11/01 13:24:12