Is Black Friday Awesome or Overrated?

Thanksgiving has arrived and so has the biggest shopping day of the year — Black Friday. Historically this is the beginning of the season when retailers start to turn a profit, so they do everything in their power to lure buyers into the stores. Each year, retailers have been opening earlier and earlier on the second day of the long weekend, rolling back hours first to 6 a.m., then to 4 a.m. and then to midnight on Thanksgiving as of 2011.

Now, retailers like Walmart, Sears, Toys “R” Us and Target are catching a lot of flack for announcing they will open at 8 or 9 p.m. on Thursday to begin their Black Friday sales. Allegedly the chains argue that the customers have requested the earlier hours. Still anyone savvy about shopping on the big day, knows you have to be in line long before the store opens to get the best deals, which means skipping the turkey and bringing your sleeping bag to the mall.

But is this all just a big scam? These days, many retailers are advertising Black Friday deals available the week before the holiday. And shoppers getting gifts online via Cyber Monday, which was born a few years back, are giving Black Friday a run for its money. Add to that the fact that it’s more and more difficult to escape Black Friday unscathed with the rash of assaults and tramplings that occur on the consumer’s favorite day of the year. So what do you think? Is Black Friday awesome or overrated?

• April K. 2013/01/21 20:30:27
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    April K.
    Not a fan of seasonal sales
  • Frenchi Le~ann 2012/12/07 17:07:54
    Awesome. I can’t wait to hit the stores.
    Frenchi Le~ann
    A large crockpot for 9$....free video games. That is just awesome.
  • bt sedlock 2012/12/05 19:45:20
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    bt sedlock
    i think the Christmas season in general has been grossly overrated for years. Every year it's the same thing over and over: "go out and buy this. go out and buy that for a low price for a limited time. it's so annoying how department push the holiday season on people, it makes me sick. and for alot of people Christmas can be the bluest time of the year. imho Christmas is a much happier holiday when you're a kid.
  • bt sedlock bt sedlock 2012/12/05 19:52:14
    bt sedlock
    I don't loose my mind over Black Friday. Infact with the way the economy is today we are going to be downsizing on Chritmas gifts this year.
  • modurhead 2012/11/29 22:36:20
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    modurhead
    they are fooling you cattle i see them running into the stores like cattle running to a feed trough
  • Woof 2012/11/28 06:37:22
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Woof
    Who needs woman digging through a sale table grabbing stuff out of your hands and putting you in a head lock!?! All for what?
    Forget it.
  • Diddley Squat 2012/11/27 19:43:31
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Diddley Squat
    If they'd wait until a week before Christmas to put up the decorations and turn on the kitschy music, I could tolerate it. But the day after Thanksgiving? Yikes! This is the season when I do the least shopping.
  • Nan 2012/11/27 15:10:08
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Nan
    I Hate Black Friday mainly because it makes the shoppers look like a bunch of stampeding idiots, it's totally unsafe and you can't tell me the companies don't get a kick out of watching the poor hard working masses make fools of themselves over a bunch of crap. Not to mention it puts the poor employees at risk too.I know of 2 people who got punched while just trying to do their jobs...sure not worth it.
  • dear•LT13☻ 2012/11/27 14:55:03
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    dear•LT13☻
  • Noneofyourbusiness 2012/11/27 10:05:40
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Noneofyourbusiness
    One of my friends went to a store to buy a movie, and this lady came up to her, bit her arm, and took the movie.
  • Silas Jones 2012/11/27 05:36:16
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Silas Jones
    +1
    It makes no sense for people to fight and trample over each other for stuff they couldn't care less about any other time of the year.
  • Maddo 2012/11/27 03:06:36
    Maddo
    but i still need to be oraganized
  • Sean McDonald 2012/11/27 02:01:03
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Sean McDonald
  • kage 2012/11/27 01:40:44
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    kage
    it's funny to see news casts of how violent people can get. ridiculous
  • Albert Rogers 2012/11/27 01:08:12
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Albert Rogers
    +1
    It's time it was cancelled! Actually, I went to a state park. Quite delightfully uncrowded.
    But as for shopping, the idea of a bargain is that it's something you need, and whatever the price is, it's worth that much to you. But remember that the cost on Black Friday, or any crowded day, includes the wear and tear upon your body and nerves.
  • calvin236 2012/11/27 00:09:42 (edited)
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    calvin236
    But if i see a good deal, i will go to Black Friday.
  • Angelic Kitty 2012/11/26 20:38:28
    Angelic Kitty
    Got a good deal on something I wanted~
  • Michelle 2012/11/26 20:29:58 (edited)
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Michelle
    While there may be some deals, it's not worth the risk to my well-being of braving those crowds of crazies. I've never actually checked out how Black Friday sales measure up to regular sales, but even if it's cheaper, I'd rather fork out the extra money some other time.

That said, good things do happen:
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/11/26 20:24:45 (edited)
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    I'M SURE SOME FOLKS GET SOME GOOD DEALS, BUT I DON'T LIKE CROWDS AND IDIOTIC BEHAVIOR.
  • Albert ... MOMMA T... 2012/11/27 01:03:31
    Albert Rogers
    +1
    The most idiotic of all is taking a day that we're supposed to be happy with what we've got, and using it to try to get more!
  • Chi Tiger Edwards 2012/11/26 17:07:44
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Chi Tiger Edwards
    +3
    When people who are adults get to the point of kicking, shoving and killing each other the spirit of the holidays are ruined!
  • Shadow Wolf 2012/11/26 17:03:12
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Shadow Wolf
    +2
    it becomes more and more dangerous each year..no thanks online shopping is for me lol
  • Chanel 2012/11/26 16:09:04
    Chanel
    Wrong button!
    pulling hair gif
  • Flamingolady 2012/11/26 13:17:45
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Flamingolady
    +1
    This year my daughter and I shopped and we found no good deals, the "doorbusters" were junk and all in all there was nothing worth buying. We shopped for 5 hours and really didn't see much at all. A guy at Wal Mart said that the toys sold out the night before, which was Thanksgiving, and if you get up, cook a turkey and make Thanksgiving dinner, you don't want to or have the energy to shop on Thanksgiving day.
  • mae 2012/11/26 05:37:48
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    mae
    +1
    Way overrated.
  • stevmackey 2012/11/26 03:58:32
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    stevmackey
    +1
    I went to an empty Sam's Club and shopped. Everybody else must have joined the madness.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/11/26 02:04:18
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Bibliophilic
    +3
    The day of greed. I bought a few items for deals online and relaxed without the annoyance of people running around and squealing like pigs over overpriced gadgets.
  • MsDianna 2012/11/26 00:05:14
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    MsDianna
    +2
    CRAZY there's not anything worth all the craziness
  • Leslie Goudy 2012/11/25 22:57:23
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Leslie Goudy
    +3
    Well, looks like at least 90 people forgot what the season is about. lol. We have lost our collective minds
  • CWOO10 - PWCM 2012/11/25 21:20:00
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    CWOO10 - PWCM
    +2
    Just my opinion; but the times I have tried were not worth the trouble. Some people are really good at getting the bargains they want, I just shop around to get the best deal I can without battling the throngs.
  • seahawk665 2012/11/25 20:28:13
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    seahawk665
    +2
    Not worth the madness and the insanity.
  • JayRevolution 2012/11/25 18:59:51
    JayRevolution
    You can get a good deal, it just depends on what you buy. A lot of stuff, yes they raise and then lower the prices, but for video games and movies, the prices are a lot lower.
    black friday video games
  • donisue 2012/11/25 17:34:18
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    donisue
    +1
    Merchants like it.
  • Jenny Lee 2012/11/25 16:26:57
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Jenny Lee
    +2
    Most stores seem to have the same sales through out the year. Black Friday just seems to be a day to put them all together. Plus, some Black Friday Shoppers seem to lose all forms of morals, they break window displays, damage doors, shelves, etc.
  • Jeff 2012/11/25 15:59:45
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    Jeff
    +2
    It shows Americans at their worst. I've worked in retail for over 30 years, I have seen everything happen on black friday. All I can say is that I would NEVER be friends with a black friday shopper, they are indeed a different kind of breed.
  • jqball2u 2012/11/25 10:03:33 (edited)
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    jqball2u
    +3
    I agree with one comment below - I work at a store as a sales person and I can't help but notice the prices of things on an every day basis...the stores *know* that Black Friday is coming and raise prices well in advance so when BF comes, they give you that 'really special price' which is the price 'Suggested Retail Price', plus some, before the price hike! You are not really *saving* anything - my advice, wait till *after* Black Friday to buy and get a very much better deal! Why am I telling you this? Because not only am I a store employee, I am also a customer as well!
  • Jeff jqball2u 2012/11/25 16:03:06
    Jeff
    +3
    Retailers also have the best deals a week or two before Christmas, That is when they adjust sale prices down further to generate even more sales if they are not hitting budget.....Black Friday is not really a good time to shop but people think they have it figured out and will never listen to the truth.
  • carol 2012/11/25 07:20:39
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    carol
    +2
    I used to go until the time I waited for the Walmart to open, fought the crowds, finally got the TV I wanted. A week later, when I got home, I asked a neighbor to help me to get the set into my apt. He graciously agreed and helped me unpack the set and get it on the stand and plugged and working. I told him what a great bargain I got at Walmart on Black Friday and he was really impressed--he really liked the TV. About a week later, he knocked at my door to tell me that he went to Walmart and got the exact same TV at $40.00 less than what I paid. That was the last time I shopped on Black Friday.
  • MOMMA T... carol 2012/11/26 20:33:23
    MOMMA THOMAS
    BUSINESS EXPERTS HAVE REPORTED THAT THERE ARE BETTER T.V. SALE PRICES JUST BEFORE SUPER BOWL TIME.
  • BooFreakedyHoo 2012/11/25 06:40:27 (edited)
    Overrated. I’ll stay home instead.
    BooFreakedyHoo
    +2
    1) Prices are first jacked up, then "lowered" to make people think they are getting a good deal.

2) I would rather pay the extra, astonishing, 15% than get trampled to death in a crowd of 99% total lawlessness. Or, you know, there's always
    annie get your gun lol

2014/11/26 07:56:02