Is being fat a civil right?

Daryl 2012/04/09 11:14:09
Yes, being fat is a civil right and I exercise it
No, the government can mandate your diet and lifestyle

In the age of government medicine, we may see the government place restrictions on what you eat and your lifestyle.

The Freedom to Be Fat? The Politics of Movie Popcorn, Obama, and the FDA

When we someday sort out the difference between
‘freedom’ and mere selfishness or stupidity, we’ll look back on this
week’s White House movie-popcorn brouhaha as madness.

Is being fat a civil right?

Read More: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/08/t...

• Daryl 2012/04/09 11:15:48
    Daryl
    +6
    As long as somebody else pays for your health insurance, then you will not have control over your lifestyle.

Those that want 'free' healthcare will see gave up their liberty and they may not like being controlled by others.

government control

• Brosia 2012/05/07 01:26:59
    Brosia
    +1
    I made the choice a long time ago to eat poorly and that lead me to this state. Now, I am very large (450), but I work and am eating better (I have lost 20 lbs in the last 8 months). I would hate it if the government decided that it would tell me how to eat. See, while I have issues fitting in normal sized areas, I don't have many of the normally associated issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and the like. I have bad joints and I breath heavier when I move too much. This is to be expected, however, and it getting better as I loose more and more.
  • nickname50 2012/05/06 04:23:49
    nickname50
    +1
    As long as they do not force anyone to pay for their choices.
  • Jensenmk 2012/04/24 04:17:23
    Jensenmk
    +1
    You are also entitled to pay for your own health care and to die an early death. Expect to pay for two airline seats too! Being fat doesn't entitle you to any special handicap stuff either; own up to your life choices!
  • bettyboop 2012/04/14 13:34:21
    bettyboop
    +1
    Eating healthy is expensive. I do not know why fresh fruits and veggies have gotten so high. If I am spending my own money on food, no the gov. has no right to tell me what I can and cannot eat. Now if I am on food stamps and getting medicaid, then perhaps they have a right. I see lots of people getting government assistance and they buy tons of junk food and steaks etc. Hell they eat better than me and my hubby.

buying lobster with food stamps
  • Captain-Morgan 2012/04/11 04:13:51
    Captain-Morgan
    +3
    being old and ugly is also a civil right too.. I just happen to be all three...
  • bettyboop Captain... 2012/04/14 13:17:01
    bettyboop
    +1
    lol I am headed in that direction myself. Trying to keep my weight under 200, can't do much about the age thingy....I have noticed my neck skin is not as tight.....plastic surgery is not my thing either....your looks sure fade as you age
  • Kibbles 2012/04/10 10:20:55
    Kibbles
    +2
    If I choose to eat whatever I want fine then don't you dare try to control that, I have the right to choose how I live, not the government. Also if I wanted to be healthier I exercise, which I do.
  • Morgan 2012/04/10 05:06:55
    Morgan
    +2
    Uhm? Wow, I didn't mean to click that o.o My computer froze, then it unfroze and selected No.
    Accidental.
    Anyway, of course being overweight is a civil right.
  • nightcr... Morgan 2012/04/10 20:58:30
    nightcrawler2005
    +3
    Don't worry my computer likes to pull that crap also.
  • Morgan nightcr... 2012/04/10 21:16:52
    Morgan
    +1
    Haha!!
  • Imperfe... nightcr... 2012/04/12 00:24:54
    Imperfect*Love
    +2
    mine too. unfortunately SH doesnt have a re-vote button
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/04/10 01:19:21
  • nightcrawler2005 2012/04/09 23:12:26
    nightcrawler2005
    +1
    Yes being fat is your right and NO I am NOT fat. Governments shove their collective noses into too much of your business already. If you think the government should mandate your diet and lifestyle you might as well live in a dictatorship or police state because that's what your advocating.
  • rightside 2012/04/09 19:28:56
    rightside
    +1
    I don't care how many children you have, as long as you take care of them yourself. I don't care if you get everything you want, as long as I don't have to pick up after you file bankruptcy. I don't care what you eat and how much weight you gain as long as I don't have to pay for your insurance.
    People have the freedom to do whatever they want until it infringes on others.
    +2
    LOL - just what we need - another imaginary right.
  • Jada Jasper-Stewart 2012/04/09 19:19:08
    Jada Jasper-Stewart
    +1
    well kinda because if you get off the couch and work out more it would be less money to go to hospitals so me its kind of both
  • Brightsprite62 2012/04/09 19:12:27
    Brightsprite62
    +1
    Fat or Thin it's not Big Brothers right to dictate my or any one elses weight. If a skinny person doesn't like the way a fat person looks... don't look.
  • MW121 2012/04/09 17:40:26
    MW121
    +2
    If tax payers have to pay for it, then absolutely... People seem to be willing to spend $6 on a pack of cigarettes, but won't pay $20 for a co-pay at their doctors office.. There's something fundamentally wrong with our society.. People feel as if they can do whatever they want and then expect everything for free when it comes to medical care..
  • sugar plum 2012/04/09 17:01:23
    sugar plum
    +1
    oh lol last time i checked this was a free country... i guess its "better" now....NOOOOO GOVERNMENT; STOP TRYING TO CONTROL EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIVES
  • LittleMistersMom 2012/04/09 16:38:06
    LittleMistersMom
    +3
    I really couldn't decide which of these to chose. I'm not fat, but I don't believe anyone has the right to dictate what we eat. The fact of the matter is that fattening food is cheap. It's easier to get ahold of, and quicker (ex: fast food). Fatty foods are a convenience, so until they make the alternative just as affordable and easy to consume, then Americans will continue to be obese.
  • bettyboop LittleM... 2012/04/14 13:20:52
    bettyboop
    +2
    I am so surprised how expensive it is to eat healthy. In other countries fresh fruit and veggies are cheap...not in america!
  • LukeC 2012/04/09 16:11:25
    LukeC
    +1
    They wont let me smoke weed, so they can pretty much control every aspect of your life under that logic.
  • LittleM... LukeC 2012/04/09 16:36:23
    LittleMistersMom
    +4
    I don't see that as logic, but maybe we have different definitions. That's like saying...well, I can't kill my ex-husband, so I guess under that logic they can rule my entire life...
  • LukeC LittleM... 2012/04/10 14:05:12
    LukeC
    It was a slight exaggeration, but yes if the government think they can control one persons health by making it illegal for them to touch a relatively harmless drug then why could they not make it illegal for one to buy unhealthy foods?

Under what logic is that not hypocritical?
    Especially when one of the most dangerous drugs is perfectly legal, along with a whole other mess of far more dangerous ones.
  • MissGates 2012/04/09 15:49:20
    MissGates
    +1
    You can't just tell someone not to be fat... I try to stay fit and healthy, but that's my choice. Most people i know who have a few extra pounds want to lose it, but if someone wanted to be fat, they could.
  • Amasaman 2012/04/09 15:45:28
    Amasaman
    +1
    If somebody doesn't want to take care of their own body, that is their choice. Other people's choices should not be a burden on me.
  • HelmetGirl 2012/04/09 15:41:26
    HelmetGirl
    +2
    If you actually want to be fat, then i suppose it is. But most people I know who are carrying too many extra pounds are trying to lose them. A point to consider though is the cost to taxpayers for these morbidly obese people who get free surgeries and other medical coverage through the State they reside in. This treatment costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per person. They have surgery, extended stays, medication, followup care and more. They also get help for their living expenses (welfare if you will) because they can't work due to their morbid obesity. So, it's a catch-22. I'm a little torn on this one. If you want to weigh in at 300 lbs, more power to you. But, if all you're going to do is stuff yourself and turn into an 800 lb-der and then want someone to fix it, then that's a problem.
  • Little Queen-phαετ 2012/04/09 15:07:01
    Little Queen-phαετ
    +1
    If I wanted to be fat, I would be.
  • dani 2012/04/09 14:48:12
    dani
    +2
    Well actually I don't think either really... but I don't think anybody has the right to be fat if it's not disease related. But as my mother used to always say " everybody has a weakness, fat people just have to wear theirs around for everybody to see", which is true. So of course I feel that nobody has the right to be selfish, arrogant, evil... and so on, you get the point.
  • Opinionated-Conservative 2012/04/09 14:42:51 (edited)
    Opinionated-Conservative
    +2
    For some people being overweight is not something they can do much about because of their hereditary makeup, should they be punished because some people overindulge and have bad lifestyles. If the government is allowed to mandate your weight, what will they want to mandate next "for the good of the nation".
  • Rusty 2012/04/09 13:58:30
    Rusty
    +2
    being free is a civil right and if you want to freedom to eat what you want, we better get every democratic in government, local, state and federal out. you do know that socialism is only a transition point on the way to communism.
  • Reichstolz 2012/04/09 13:56:57
    Reichstolz
    +1
    Not once Obamacare is fully implemented.
  • Devin Pederson 2012/04/09 13:24:30
    Devin Pederson
    +3
    The government should stay out of people's personal lives.

If someone chooses to be fat, that is their choice.
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/04/09 13:20:42
    Nekosarethebest
    +1
    Yeh, we have control of ourselves and whatnot.
  • wildcat 2012/04/09 12:46:33
    wildcat
    +2
    First of all this is a goofy premise. The government is not trying to mandate any life style. You are free to choose to live however you wish within the law. The government is funding school lunches and therefore they can choose what a school lunch should be, just like when you buy a car you can choose what that car will be. The government pays the food stamp program, therefore it can decide what is allowable under that program. If you want to be fat and unhealthy that is your choice, just don't come crying to me when you cannot get through the bathroom door.
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/04/09 12:23:10
    Bingo's Faddah
    +5
    I've put on a few pounds since retiring.

ive pounds retiring

Not a good thing, but it's my thing (don't go there!). Every year, governments on this planet are taking more control over peoples' lives. A good example is forcing folks to buy stuff like health insurance.
  • compufreek 2012/04/09 12:10:53
    compufreek
    +1
    It is your choice. It is the same for smoking, drinking, or doing drugs. If you want to do those things, it is your choice. Some legal, some not. It is your choice. For now, unless the government takes over our health care.
  • Roger 2012/04/09 11:54:06
    Roger
    +1
    Unless you have loopis or a tyrode problem. Other than that it is a choice. You shouldn't be hated on.
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2012/04/09 11:51:54
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +1
    I do not exercise it though lol
  • Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/04/09 11:45:37
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +3
    I love how you have to answer that you are fat to claim your civil rights. :)

Its like this. You are free to be fat. Insurance is free to jack your premiums because you will cost them a fortune. We are free to not pay for things like Gastric Bypass, type 2 diabetes medication, and high blood pressure medication.

You can't have it both ways. If you make bad choices for your health you have to pay for it.

2014/11/24 01:32:29