Is America Running Out of Doctors?

Daryl 2012/07/31 18:00:00
Some reports suggest that by the year 2025, America could have a shortage of 100,000 doctors. Are doctors in the U.S. on the decline?

THEWEEK.COM reports:
ObamaCare is set to expand the number of insured Americans, but an apparent shortage of doctors could make it difficult to treat them all.
wheelchair

Read More: http://theweek.com/article/index/231267/is-america...

• kurtanderson1 2012/07/31 15:05:56
    kurtanderson1
    +20
    Can you blame them for avoiding this profession? Oh I want to be a lawsuit-magnet with a six-figure student loan debt and an average 80 hour-plus work week in a country that has upheld Obama-care.

• D S Anon 2012/08/01 17:57:29
    D S
    +1
    This is Way more than three years in the making.
  • TRAHELION Anon 2012/08/01 19:15:09
    TRAHELION
    +1
    Obvious clueless person is obvious.
  • TruXter 2012/08/01 17:43:19
    TruXter
    Not yet. But cap their fees, we might.
  • me 2012/08/01 17:42:33
    me
    But not to worry.. The void will be filled by foreign doctors, [similar to taxi cab drivers], that will be employed by the government, following government edicts and practices, giving everyone the type of care that the government feels you deserve....
  • vicNav45 2012/08/01 17:40:43
    vicNav45
    +2
    I tend to believe we are running out of doctors. It is irrefutable, though, that we have a surplus of lawyers. We should import more of the former and export more of the latter.
  • sunniday 2012/08/01 17:36:42
    sunniday
    +1
    Government & insurance companies are now telling Drs. how to run their pratices,If you have read Robin Cooks book "MANAGED CARE". that is what our health care is becoming & that was an old book[fiction] written by a retired doctor. [very scary]
  • D S sunniday 2012/08/01 18:06:23
    D S
    The D.E.A. (Government, as you said) has a lot you say: "The DEA seems to have adopted the policy and tactics of slay hostage and criminal alike and the drug problem will go away. They are using attack by proxy, using their powers to "target" doctors and pharmacists (and probably dentists in the near future) where the real TARGET is the pain sufferer!"
    Above from: http://updates.pain-topics.or...
  • Derbyhat 2012/08/01 17:34:12
    Derbyhat
    We are increasingly having difficulty finding doctors to fill in for doctors taking vacations or leaving the area or retiring. Some temp replacement doctors are arriving from great distances to spend a couple of months.

Some don't like to hear it, but payment cutbacks in Medicare means doctors will have to suck it up and take less money to pay the "Malpractice insurance" premiums that go higher and higher. On top of this Chief Justice Roberts said in his endorcement of Obamacare that it is not up to the Supreme Court to protect the voters from the (malpractice) of their Congressional delegation. Yes he used slightly different words, but the entire nation knew the entire law was a fraud against the people as this is killing jobs and skyrocketting healthcare costs and a huge handout to those able to work, but find more pleasure in taking handouts or giving benefits to illegal aliens that the Obama Administration just waves in from across the border. Free is never free as it takes money to create the supplies and equipment to care for anyone. Intended beneficiaries must stand in line behind the freeloaders. This is socialism and Obama's intended purpose. When you find that you can't see a doctor on your schedule in the future remember your support for Obamacare. It is then your time to suck it up!
  • Richard 2012/08/01 17:33:59
    Richard
    +1
    We need to turn the clock back to the 1950's when Doctors could run their office like they wanted to without the insurance company’s or government getting involved.
  • Patent1 2012/08/01 17:31:21
    Patent1
    +1
    Not according to my phonebook, there are as many docs as lawyers. Too bad we aren't running out of lawyers.
  • SherriW... Patent1 2012/08/01 21:00:03
    SherriWishard-Mikeska
    call each one and find out who takes medicare/medicaide that will lower the numbers a lot.
  • Patent1 SherriW... 2012/08/02 02:22:47
    Patent1
    Mine does, and as long as they get a steady stream of paying customers, they will all stay in business.
  • dennisg40 2012/08/01 17:28:34
    dennisg40
    I don't believe America is running out of doctors but it is running out of money.
  • sunniday dennisg40 2012/08/01 17:46:54
    sunniday
    We have a lot of Drs. quitting praticing because insurance costs,medical costs & outside influence is driving them to quit,I believe if we continue as we are before this century passes,we will not have social security & possibly not any old people because they will not be of any value,if you do not produce more than you cost,you will get no treatment for anything.check & balance,the welfare people that great this change will be first to go,as guiney pigs.
  • raine sunniday 2012/08/01 22:27:26
    raine
    that would be great if welfare and jail prisoners are forced to use their useless bodies that will not work.. To become research rats. Yahooooo get something outa them by hook or by crook
  • Paige 2012/08/01 17:26:30
    Paige
    +1
    Its to expensive to go to Medical school. Many students have 100,000 or more in school expense debt after graduating. For profit shools are bankrupting students before they even have a job. My sons are in college and books alone for a semester are almost $1000. This is insane.
  • sunniday Paige 2012/08/01 17:50:52
    sunniday
    Only schools will be run by GOVERNMENT,but people will not have the rights we do in this country now WE ARE LIKE NO OTHER COUNTRY,if you have been in other countries you know what I mean.
  • nate 2012/08/01 17:24:42
    nate
    it wouldn't surprise me if they were on the decline.
  • John Hall 2012/08/01 17:20:21
    John Hall
    +2
    My Dr has already told me he's going to retire early . He said obamacare will hurt his profession and he's not dealing with it .
  • Paige John Hall 2012/08/02 04:57:46
    Paige
    My husband works for a organization of Dr's and they all think the Affordable Health Care will be great for this country. As it is the insurance companies tell the Dr's what medicine they can prescribe and what they can't. There will be people who think the health care is great and others who don't. But if you are a middle class or poor person then breast exams, and free birth control and any preventive care will be free, and thats great.
  • John Hall Paige 2012/08/02 12:34:13
    John Hall
    I can only hope that this health care will help and not hurt the American people it's a wait and see issue .
  • baboula 2012/08/01 17:08:59
    baboula
    +1
    between the school loans and malpractice insurance, is it any wonder?
  • kmay 2012/08/01 16:58:13
    kmay
    +1
    Obamacare is a death knoll for health care!
  • BigFig#9 2012/08/01 16:56:12
    BigFig#9
    +3
    OBAMACARE has nothing to do with it - even if you believe OBAMACARE would dissuade students from pursuing medical careers it simply hasn't had time to bring on that impact... Real reasons are cost of medical education, quality of life offered as a physician and the growing medical needs (most real, some not as real). Continued and accelerated use of nurse practitioners, underwriting of medical education costs in return for public service and an earlier focus on scientific education may all help. We also need to look not just at increasing the supply of Docs but also figuring out how to best control the supply of patients which is impacted not just by an aging population but by endemic health challenges such as obesity, diabetes, alcohol and tobacco abuse and a general lack of fitness.
  • sunniday BigFig#9 2012/08/01 18:01:46
    sunniday
    +1
    This is a fact BUT things do happen I am a senior but I also work because there is no way I can live on a widows pension,I had to have simple surgery [cateracts] which we all will have if we live long enough. Medicare,supplement insurance ,& still out of pocket cost of almost $1500. thats what Obama care is Medicare for all[or in simple terms CASH COW] for government.
  • BigFig#9 sunniday 2012/08/01 18:07:18
    BigFig#9
    I'm no fan of Obamacare although I see it as a step forward from where we were at and probably the 'best' Dems could do in a country hostile to collective solutions. The really SAD point here is that a solution is not hat difficult and practically EVERY OTHER OECD country has found a much more effective solution to providing near or completely universal care at much lower prices to both the tax payer and the patient... Is it impossible for Americans to realize that other countries might have built a better mousetrap? We accepted that Germans, Swedes and the Japanese build better cars and after that we started building better cars. Maybe we can get there on medical care.
  • raine BigFig#9 2012/08/01 22:32:44
    raine
    OK yes it would be nice if people did take some responsibility for their own health stop smoking drinking too much and go for a walk instead of sitting on your lazy butts all day collecting welfare checks.
  • BigFig#9 raine 2012/08/01 22:58:45
    BigFig#9
    Personal responsibility (or lack there of) has got us where we are... What would you add to that? (I'd TAX THE HELL out of Tobacco, and there are many states that also are far too low on alcohol taxes. Tax and Regulate Marijuana and target revenue to health? Severely restrict what kinds of food food stamps can buy?)
  • Jeannie BigFig#9 2012/08/01 23:46:43
    Jeannie
    +1
    How about being responsible for one's own sexual behavior and birth control? And I mean BEFORE pregnancy occurs, NOT after. In other words, don' t be creating babies that you cannot afford, and then expect the government to step in and support them.
  • BigFig#9 Jeannie 2012/08/02 02:08:00
    BigFig#9
    Nice theoretical thinking - poor practical thinking. (like so many conservative thoughts) That said I'm not sure where the subject of sexual responsibility entered this argument but I'm happy enough to respond when the subject is sex! : )
  • Jeannie BigFig#9 2012/08/03 15:18:03
    Jeannie
    Duh!!!! Sexual responsibility is also in the category of health responsibility, as well as human behavior responsibility.
  • darlene 2012/08/01 16:49:51
    darlene
    Yeah, everyone wants to be lawyers...and I've spoke to doctors who wished they chose another field...because people don't appreciate what they do and want to sue! Hence the lawyers...it's a crazy world.
  • St Thomas 2012/08/01 16:45:15
    St Thomas
    +2
    Who wants to spend all that time developing a skill and then work for the government?
  • El Prez 2012/08/01 16:39:03
    El Prez
    +2
    "Some reports suggest..." is not really information but speculation. I would say this is more dom and gloom from the press to get another headline. How about a real report with real information. Crap to scare the masses.
  • Susan El Prez 2012/08/01 17:36:17
    Susan
    +2
    What should truly scare the masses is the prospect of this "health care" bill being full enacted. 83% of the doctors polled recently plan to take an early retirement or get out of the profession all together. Who will be there to pick up the slack, especially when an additional 30 million ppl are added to the health care lines? And you know what? This Empty Suit of a president will be long gone from the WH when the real crap hits the fan! He'll be running around the country getting $150,000 for everytime he makes an appearance. Just wonder if the adulation from all his rock fans will still be there?
  • TRAHELION Susan 2012/08/01 19:20:48
    TRAHELION
    Dude, stop watching fox news- where that poll came from- and maybe read the bill. You won't look so foolish to those who have already.
  • SherriW... TRAHELION 2012/08/01 21:05:05
    SherriWishard-Mikeska
    +1
    you might want to read the bill again....from a strictly business standpoint it is a disaster in the making with no tort reform.
  • Bill TRAHELION 2012/08/03 13:54:10
    Bill
    Dude, I have read the Bill and it is nothing more than a European style money grabbing Expo. of the future medical boards or as I refer to as (Death Panels) coming to America. As someone that has traveled the world and seen Socialism/Communism first hand, I can tell you and others that ObamaCare is the worst thing that can happen to The United States. If you have a living Grand-Father and Grand-Mother thats in bad medical health, say goodbye to them. If you have a Father and Mother thats in bad health, say good-bye to them. If you have Brothers and Sisters that are in bad health, say goodbye to them. Instead of receiving procedures that could save their lives or prolong their lives, all of them will receive, "End of Life Counseling" and cheap drugs in an attempt to keep them pain free until death occurs. "There is your ObamaCare in a nut shell".
  • Jeannie TRAHELION 2012/08/03 15:20:25
    Jeannie
    I've read lots of the bill, and it is truly awful. Have you tried reading it yourself yet, or do you just take the Demo's word on it?
  • El Prez Susan 2012/08/02 16:54:48
    El Prez
    More doom and gloom!!! It is not going to happen! The real crap hit the fan some time ago and we didn't collapse. Corporations taking over, jobs going overseas, tax breaks for the richest, unregulation of dangerous industrial polutters, opening National Parks to explotation and general leaning toward corporate rule. Now they are people! What next? We have survived the crap and we will go on to slowly recover from the financal hole dug bythese fools.

2014/08/28 09:22:51