Is a Library Without Books Progressive or Pointless?

AdriHead 2013/01/21 21:18:26
A library without books seems like of... pointless. But one library in Texas will be going that route. America's first-ever book-less library will open in San Antonio's Bexar County in the fall of 2013.

Physical books will be replaced with computers and tech gadgets. The library of the future plans to provide 100 e-readers available for circulation and check-out, along with 50 e-readers for kids, 50 computer stations, 25 tablets and 25 laptops.

"We all know the world is changing. I am an avid book reader. I read hardcover books, I have a collection of 1,000 first editions. Books are important to me," Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff told ABC News. "But the world is changing and this is the best, most effective way to bring services to our community."

Do you think a library without books sounds progressive -- or just plain pointless?

NEWS.YAHOO.COM reports:
A library in Texas will have only e-books.
news yahoo reports yahoo news library texas e-books

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/library-without-books-biblio...

• TheBuffyGirl 2013/04/26 15:21:25
    Progressive
    TheBuffyGirl
    I meant pointless... Sounds silly.
  • MsDianna 2013/01/30 01:02:17
    Pointless
    MsDianna
    it's pointless no books no library
  • pinkjae 2013/01/27 23:33:30
    Pointless
    pinkjae
    +2
    A library without books is not called a library it is a computer lab.
  • LouOlson 2013/01/27 23:07:11
  • Bocephus 2013/01/27 21:14:47
  • Junior the Outer Space Musi... 2013/01/27 20:10:03
    Pointless
    Junior the Outer Space Music Man
    +2
    You gotta be kidding me... This world is getting more and more impersonal. Probably one of the reasons for more violent behavior.
  • DDogbreath 2013/01/27 17:02:47
    Pointless
    DDogbreath
    +2
    It's like having a rest room with no toilets.
  • GoDucks5 2013/01/27 09:47:35
    Pointless
    GoDucks5
    +2
    It's an oxymoron.
  • strange_armour 2013/01/27 00:42:53
    Pointless
    strange_armour
    +3
    At the risk of sounding terribly old-fashioned, there's something about the sound of real pages flipping and the smell ( hopefully a pleasant smell ) of a well-read book.
    Yes, e-books rock but we should always have a place for actual touch it, feel it books.
    That place is a library.
  • Joachim 2013/01/26 19:12:36
    Progressive
    Joachim
    I would call it a library without paper rather than a library without books - it just provides access to information in a format that is less expensive, less harmful to the environment, more accessible, and more versatile than paper, just as printed books and paperbacks made information cheaper and more accessible than when books were all hand-written on parchment, vellum, or papyrus, or expensively bound. The new technologies don't ever completely replace the old - there are still people creating beautiful calligraphy and illuminations on vellum, or other forms of artistic books - but new standards will continue to replace the old ones.

It is very important, though, that people who cannot afford technology such as the Internet and E-readers be provided access to this information in some way, and it is important that information not be discarded just because it is not currently available online. Until all books are available electronically, libraries still need to be able to provide access to paper books, but a paperless library can provide this through some kind of cooperative program such as interlibrary loan. It's also important to have experienced librarians and other staff who can assist the public in locating, obtaining, using, and evaluating the information they need.

...

Many cities are completely shutting down their public libraries because of budget constraints - surely a paperless library is preferable to no library at all or to a library that is full of worn out facilities and outdated information. The paperless library will never replace all paper libraries because there will always be reasons to preserve the valuable paper books that have already been written, but the paperless library (and even the virtual library, without so much as a building) certainly seems to be the wave of the future for libraries.
  • 2789847 2013/01/26 15:13:45
  • S123 2013/01/26 07:08:37
    Progressive
    S123
    +1
    I wouldn't really call it "progressive" or "pointless". I wouldn't really call it a library either, but I think it sounds like it would be helpfull.
  • matt.sm... S123 2013/01/26 19:24:51
    matt.smallwood1
    +4
    Agreed. You take away the library word and it is still giving people free or affordable access to knowledge. That's the purpose of a library.....I think it becomes a 21st century incarnation of the library.
  • S123 matt.sm... 2013/01/26 20:50:02
    S123
    +2
    I'm not sure what they should call it. Digital resource center?
  • Sadierose Dobson 2013/01/26 04:17:46
    Pointless
    Sadierose Dobson
    +3
    Sorry, maybe for straight research this would be a great idea...but it doesn't work for me.
  • Manwé 2013/01/26 03:34:19
    Pointless
    Manwé
    +2
    I say pointless since it is no longer a Library - it is a Learning Center.
  • keeper 2013/01/25 20:21:38
    Pointless
    keeper
    +1
    Look up the translation of "Libros"...
    Having said that, I think there should be a marriage of the two technologies. Our little Library has around 25 computers for patrons to use. I am not sure of the e-readers and tablets, but we still have books on the shelves.
  • t.eliot, topbard 2013/01/25 19:59:50
    Pointless
    t.eliot, topbard
    +2
    Books, though not the force they once were, are still an essential part of human life.
  • Dread Mighty 2013/01/25 18:08:55
    Progressive
    Dread Mighty
    +1
    I wouldn't call it a library maybe elibrary? With a place to "borrow" ebooks and research? I would say that there should be a fee, low- but a fee nonetheless.
  • thy-lady-x 2013/01/25 16:23:13
    Pointless
    thy-lady-x
    +3
    As has been previously stated, a library without books, cannot be called a library. It can be called a public computer lab, but not a library.
  • PrincessChaos_25 2013/01/25 12:23:05
    Pointless
    PrincessChaos_25
    +2
    Pointless and stupid, I'm tired of everything being done on computers. I'd rather read an actual book instead.
  • David 2013/01/25 09:19:24 (edited)
    Pointless
    David
    +2
    It's also short-sighted and stupid, for many, many reasons. Note one of the supporters' statements:

"We all know the world is changing. I am an avid book reader. I read hardcover books, I have a collection of 1,000 first editions."

I'm throwing the BS flag on "Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff". The key bit in his statement: "I have a collection of 1,000 first editions." Yeh, bub. You're a collector, not a reader. I'd lay 100-1 odds I read more books in a month than this poseur reads in two years. Or ten. I weeded more than 1,000 books from my own library that I've read more than once just a couple of weeks ago, and still have no room in my walls of books for all my library, which includes 263 recent acquisitions on my reading list for this Winter.

I read ebooks (seven of them this last week--and my ebook library is _beginning_ to rival my physical collection), but even with Gutenberg.org, Google Books, Amazon and all the other resources on the web, just the valuable _great_ books that've been written in the past couple of thousand years alone--let alone all the new stuff coming out--just aren't all available in electronic formats, and not all books are really suitable for formatting electronically, either.

*agh* Not going to take it any further. The people who are dedicated support...

*agh* Not going to take it any further. The people who are dedicated supporters of eliminating physical books in libraries are, almost exclusively in my experience with such persons one-on-one, NOT avid readers. Casual readers? Sure. Occasional readers? More likely. Fakers and poseurs, _pretending_ to be avid readers? Almost always.
  • kate 2013/01/25 05:55:34
    Pointless
    kate
    +1
    What has this world come to!!
  • raelene 2013/01/25 05:55:19
    Pointless
    raelene
    +1
    I dunno... When books go away im really going to want them back... On a computer i get distracted and play games... But i kind of feel without books it isn't technically a library even with e-books... Im kind of tempted to say computer lab or something but im not sure if thats right...
  • AJ 2013/01/25 04:52:57
    Progressive
    AJ
    Both in different ways.
  • Garciataria 2013/01/25 04:01:52
    Pointless
    Garciataria
    +2
    It's a good idea, but it shouldn't be called a library.
  • Sandman366 2013/01/25 03:28:45
    Pointless
    Sandman366
    +1
    That's not a library, it's an internet cafe. Where's my cappuccino?! Ordered an hour ago...
  • Swordfish 2013/01/25 03:23:05 (edited)
    Pointless
    Swordfish
    +2
    Please, no. I hate reading books off a screen. I'm a kinesthetic learner and I need to have something in my hands that I can feel. Otherwise, it hurts my eyes and goes over my head. Plus, it's cooler to have a bookshelf than a digital library.
  • Emma 2013/01/25 00:27:15
    Pointless
    Emma
  • Kaye 2013/01/24 22:22:07
    Pointless
    Kaye
    +1
    I want to bring books home to read
  • Nicholas DeShane 2013/01/24 20:04:57
    Progressive
    Nicholas DeShane
    Digital makes more sense, more efficient and environmentally friendly, cheaper to produce. I do see that calling it a library is a little silly, however this tis the future.
  • FatherLiberty 2013/01/24 16:33:27
    Pointless
    FatherLiberty
    +3
    I prefer my paper books. Books I can hold on my shelf and wont be deleted, altered, or censored as has happened in some cases, such as Orwell's book '1984' being deleted from the Kindle accounts of people who purchased it.
  • SanctumHolder 2013/01/24 16:03:57
    Pointless
    SanctumHolder
    +1
    I enjoy being able to turn pages and having the smell of a fresh book, but I do like the tablets that allows you to read on them because they're easier to use on the go!
  • PrinceOfPolaris 2013/01/24 13:26:40
    Pointless
    PrinceOfPolaris
    +2
    what else are libraries good for?
  • Dale 2013/01/24 07:44:12
    Pointless
    Dale
    +1
    Kinda of dumb. Check out e readers? I wonder how many will actually come back or what they will have in place to make sure e readers are returned
  • MagicGirl 2013/01/24 04:31:21
    Pointless
    MagicGirl
    +2
    NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!... THE APOCALYPSE IS FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! T.T *Nerds all over the world are now crying themselves to sleep* NO NEW BOOK SMELL!!!!! NO OLD BOOK SMELL!!!! T.T
  • Allie 2013/01/24 04:29:52
    Pointless
    Allie
    +3
    Books are great! Yes, sometimes they seem boring and you can get painful papercuts but they still great. To me a library without hardcover/papercover books is like life without color or life without air. You need books to learn, yes you can get it from surfing the web but where do the computer techs got the info from. Books.
  • Maureen C. 2013/01/24 04:13:00
    Pointless
    Maureen C.
    +3
    I don't know why, but I think reading is with books,turning the pages, and not kindles or the sort. I have seen people with kindles or i-nooks, and it doesn't even look like they are reading. Maybe that will change in the future, but I really don't think so.
  • percyJ. 2013/01/24 02:40:05
    Pointless
    percyJ.
    +4
    OMG!!!!!! what is freakin wrong with our freakin society!????!!!!??!!!!!!! i want to sue the owner of that computer lab!!!!!! theres nothing like the smell of a book!! to caress the pages!! to here the crakiling of the pages when ur getting to the good part!! the weight of a good book!!! the sound that the binding makes on a newly opened book cant be matched by the click of a button!! oh gosh how i love reading!!!! BOOK WORM FOREVER!!! BOOK WORM PRIDE!!!!!! ;) you cant replace a library with computers and gagets!!! its not the same...not even close!!! it makes me sick how so many people can hate reading and would rather play mind mushing video games!! :o= (thats puke) give me a good book on a sunny day in the shade with that nice summer breeze any day!!!! just thinking about it makes me long sooooooo hard for it!!!! oh how i love book with a burning passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate it when people say "reading!??! gross!?!?" i like to say "it'll be gross when ur brain is nothing but mush and it oozes out of your ear while ur playing a video game!!!" thats probably what ear wax is. dried up brain that died a horrific and tragic death of stupidity!! sorry if i seem mean or rude to people but this just really pisses me off!!!!!! ok...im done. BOOK WORM PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sheila percyJ. 2013/01/24 17:00:44

2014/07/22 11:23:04