Interesting Onion facts

chickn 2011/01/24 01:14:00
Related Topics: McDonald's, Onion, Single

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people, there was a Doctor who visited many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu. Many of the farmers and their family had contracted it, and many died.

The doctor came upon one farmer, and to his surprise, everyone in the household was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different, the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one, and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping

the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser in AZ.. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work.... (And no, she is not in the onion business.)

The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year, and we never got the flu.

If this helps you and your loved ones from getting sick, all the better. If you do get the flu, it just might be a mild case...Whatever, what have you to lose? Just a few bucks on onions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now there is a P.S. to this, for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on

health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:

Thanks for the reminder.. I don't know about the farmer's story...but I do know that I contracted pneumonia, and needless to say I was very ill...I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion. Put one end on a fork, and then place the forked end into an empty jar...placing the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the germs. Sure enough, it happened just like that...the onion was a mess, and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note:

LEFTOVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS!
I have used an onion which has been left in the fridge.

Sometimes I don't use a whole one at one time, so I save the other half for later. Now with this info, I have changed my mind. I will buy smaller onions in the future. I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, makers of mayonnaise. Mullins is huge, and is owned by 11 brothers and sisters in the Mullins family. My friend, Jeanne, is the CEO.

Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

The guy who gave us our tour is named Ed. He's one of the brothers. Ed is a chemistry expert and is involved in developing most of the sauce formula. He's even developed sauce formula for McDonald's.

Keep in mind that Ed is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made mayo is completely safe.

"It doesn't

even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the quintessential picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the onions, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES..

He explained, onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.

It's

already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!)

Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put it on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

So, how's that for news? Take it for what you will. I (the author) am going to be very careful about my onions from now on. For some reason, I see a lot of credibility coming from a chemist and a company that produces millions of pounds of mayonnaise every year. Also,
dogs should never eat onions.
Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.

Please remember it is dangerous to cut onions and try to use it to cook the next day. I t becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning.

Please pass this on to all you love and care about.

• calipolkid 2013/01/18 14:09:06
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    calipolkid
    +9
    To everyone who left a comment saying "I always reuse onion" "I use only half and store the other half in a ziplock bag for weeks and then use it" " I only know people that use a half and then store it in a ziplock and use it later and non of them got sick" you all need to wake up. You seem to be missing the point. This post is not intended to prove right or wrong. It is simply an advice and people's recollection and experience/knowledge You are left with the choice to try it out or not. The post doesn't state "you will die if you don't follow it" Stop wasting your time and energy on a pointless comment. "Great you store and use onions that ware left in the fridge for weeks" Awesome! This is coming from someone who is not following the advice on this posts. I just had to say something because some of the comments seem so pointless and pretty dumb

• arie 2013/02/01 16:23:57
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    arie
    how long does it take for it to be poisinous
  • calipolkid 2013/01/18 14:09:06
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    calipolkid
    +9
  • nobody calipolkid 2013/02/28 21:41:03
    nobody
    +3
    That's wonderful that you decided to say something, but, do you really think those people that have already commented are gonna see it? Or that they would come back? Thanks :) JS
  • harley oldman 2011/02/07 13:44:33
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    harley oldman
    I had heard the first story years ago, but thats the first time I`ve heard about the Onions
    in the last part of the post...............Thanks for sharing.
  • bags 2011/01/25 00:33:33
    Chickn, you are crazy, stop passing this crap on
    bags
    I don't know of anyone who doesn't use part of an on ion and bag the rest for later use. I've done it all my life and never had an issue. Nor have my dogs.
  • jay 2011/01/24 23:22:26
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    jay
    +1
    that's interesting! here are some more facts....onions, potatoes and apples all have the same taste, it's the smell that distinguishes them, if you couldnt smell they would taste the same....that was more worthless trivia !!
  • SocratesIII 2011/01/24 19:58:57
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    SocratesIII
    I would add that if you put cut up boiled eggs in your potatoe salad it is a hazard if you keep it too long as well. Didn't know about the onion garlic potpouris...ill try it...i use alot of onoin and garlic in my recipes...especially onion garlic potatoe omelettes...yumm yumm!!!
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Very interesting, although the left over onion thing I don't believe. Whenever I have part of an onion left I alway save it in the fridge and I've never become sick and the onion looks the same as it did when I put it away.
  • Relay 2011/01/24 17:42:55
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Relay
    hmm people are sick in my house at the moment im going to try the onion thing! Thanks
  • ray 2011/01/24 17:21:45
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    ray
    +1
    Onions have phytochemicals and quercetin which assist the body by moving and breaking up the mucus in the head and chest. The powerful odor causes the eyes to tear and the nose to run. It is this affect on your body that stimulates the immune system to fight the virus or bacterial infection. This is helping your body shed the virus and reduce the inflammation from congestion.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Ben...
    http://www.juicing-for-health...
    http://news.softpedia.com/new...
  • Sasssy 2011/01/24 17:21:20
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Sasssy
    +1
    I prepare my lunch with sauteed onions. My mother used to eat raw onions all the time.
  • ETpro 2011/01/24 16:49:55
    ETpro
    Here is the problem with anecdotal evidence. Last year I did not keep onions in any of the rooms of our house. Instead, I upgraded my Internet service from regular 3 to 4 meg download to the super fast 36 meg down and 12 megs up. None of us got the flu that year. Therefore, obviously, increasing your Internet bandwidth prevents the flu. The modem absorbs the virons.

Now, problems with this story. This doctor would have needed to have one of the most powerful electron microscope available today to "see" flu virus in the onion, and he would have had to have that in 1919. The first crude electron microscope was invented in Germany in 1931, more that a decade after the great flu epidemic of 1918-1919. Microscopes capable of showing a flu bug didn't come along till much later.

I am not saying onions don't work, just that the chances are good that any benefit of them is no more than a placebo effect, and to know that they really do work, you would need to do double-blind studies. Also, logically, the story seems far-fetched. Virons are inanimate bits of DNA or RNA code incapable of doing anything on their own. They cannot move on their own volition to an attractor, even if onions happened to be something they "wanted". They can't even "want" anything. Nor do onions have some myst...

I am not saying onions don't work, just that the chances are good that any benefit of them is no more than a placebo effect, and to know that they really do work, you would need to do double-blind studies. Also, logically, the story seems far-fetched. Virons are inanimate bits of DNA or RNA code incapable of doing anything on their own. They cannot move on their own volition to an attractor, even if onions happened to be something they "wanted". They can't even "want" anything. Nor do onions have some mystical attractive force capable or reaching through an entire house and identifying flu virons then pulling them to itself.

If I have thereby spoiled a perfectly good placebo for some, not to worry. Placebos work even when the subject has been told thay are actually taking a sugar pill. Have a sweet, flu-free day.
  • jubil8 ... ETpro 2011/01/24 19:55:47
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    "Here is the problem with" scientific evidence (including double-blind studies): It's anecdotal evidence dressed up in fancy clothes. Double-blind studies help Big Pharma "prove" to the FDA that Drug QQQ will cure shingles, eliminate the (un)common cold, restore sight, and brew coffee.

Put your faith in science, ET; you know all those hard-working pharma folk AND your government have YOUR best interests at heart.
  • ETpro jubil8 ... 2011/01/26 08:00:10
    ETpro
    Life must be easy in the evidence free zone. Except you keep running into obstacles that you insist don't exist.
  • jubil8 ... ETpro 2011/01/27 01:13:40
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    I guess that made sense inside your head -- out here it didn't so much.
  • ETpro jubil8 ... 2011/01/27 05:57:43
    ETpro
    Ha! One more time around the wall., There is little point in debating with facts when someone rejects any facts that don't fit their pet theories. Perhaps your theories will lead you on an obstacle free path. Perhaps not. Obstacles are detected by observation of facts, by examination of the evidence before you.
  • jubil8 ... ETpro 2011/01/27 15:19:56
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    You can't get away from the scientific approach, can you? I don't have a "theory." I have a deep-seated dislike for and mistrust of modern Western medicine, Big Pharma, and the FDA. Loooong before any of them existed people improved and cured using natural remedies. They still work (although not as well often since much of the nutritional value of foods has been bled out one way and another). If they didn't, the drug companies and the FDA wouldn't be so interested in regulating things like vitamin companies. It's not about our health, it's about competition pure and simple.

Expensive "scientific" studies that are set up to be self-fulfilling prophecies or which are downright misrepresented to ram a product through the FDA process do NOsT impress me. The FDA not only doesn't impress me, it DEpresses me. If Western medicine (and scientific protocols) were so terrific, they'd be adopted worldwide. They aren't. They have their place, but not the only place and not First place imo. I don't reject "facts" -- I simply don't accept the product testing that is done today as definitive. Especially if the info about it is coming from the very company that wants a certain product approved. There is simply no way to tell what the long-term effects might be from taking some of these drugs...

Expensive "scientific" studies that are set up to be self-fulfilling prophecies or which are downright misrepresented to ram a product through the FDA process do NOsT impress me. The FDA not only doesn't impress me, it DEpresses me. If Western medicine (and scientific protocols) were so terrific, they'd be adopted worldwide. They aren't. They have their place, but not the only place and not First place imo. I don't reject "facts" -- I simply don't accept the product testing that is done today as definitive. Especially if the info about it is coming from the very company that wants a certain product approved. There is simply no way to tell what the long-term effects might be from taking some of these drugs, and pumping your body full of chemicals and other unnatural substances is a bad choice imo.

It can't possibly do any damage to put an onion nearby while you sleep or something (if the smell doesn't bother you). Onions have vitamins and nutrients which could be helpful. They couldn't be harmful unless you have an allergy (and I would check for that if it might be a problem).

Actually, not all obstacles can be overcome -- at least not at a given point in time. 150 years ago who thought man could fly? Now we take it for granted. NOTHING will ever make shoveling foreign matter into your body a smart choice.
  • ETpro jubil8 ... 2011/01/30 06:57:14
    ETpro
    I am an engineer. Science is near and dear to me. I share your concern about profits coming before people in the eyes of big pahrma. But the fact is that millions and millions of people in those wonderful times of yore died needlessly of things that almost never kill these days. People began having babies as soon as they reached puberty and had as many as possible if childbirth didn't kill the woman, because very few children reached adulthood. Most dioed of childhood diseases that are almost never fatal or even suffered today. Also, the average life expectancy before modern medicine was about 40 or 45 years. You had to have your children while still in your teens to have any assurance of being around to parent them into adulthood.
  • jubil8 ... ETpro 2011/02/01 17:02:09
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    Ahhhh, I get it. My father was a patent lawyer; he checked the site lines on the masonry in the hospital after bypass surgery by using the overhead traction machine that happened to be in his room. While my sister and I were in the room talking to him. After that we weren't sure whether we were talking to him or to each other...

He also had carpal tunnel surgery. I learned to do a lot of stretching exercises and have never had the surgery (diagnosis in 1994). My way was cheaper too.

Of course medicine has made much progress and done much good in the last 150 years or so. Besides the life stats you give, there's successful and highly sophisticated surgery. No more getting drunk and biting a bullet while your leg gets sawed off. And much more.

But I truly believe that a blind adherence to either side is just that -- blind. I visited a Chinese hospital in Guilin, and the young (female) doc who talked to our group said that Chinese medicine was adopting a lot of our OR standards for sterility and hygiene. Then she gestured around at all the jars of pickled and preserved things and said "But we still believe in our own ways too. They have served the Chinese people for over 4,000 years. We try to use the best of Western medicine and blend it with our traditional practices."
  • terri ETpro 2012/08/18 11:14:30
    terri
    +2
    Hi~ I have had chronic pneumonia for years with chronic sinitis I use to very healthy. I thought I was going to die from this **** and I am pretty young. So I tried the onion and can tell you I felt a drawing and pulling from lung and sines
  • terri ETpro 2012/08/18 11:20:54
    terri
    +3
    Oops pushed post to early. Soi felt a drawing and pulling from lung and sines it was very weird sensation sorta like when you were a kid playing with magnets and led effect. I defenitaley recommend this! First time most beneficial for me drawing out so much mucos. Around 3 or 4 time did get black on onion. Try this!
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Maybe it DOES work but I wouldn't be able to take the smell!
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2011/01/24 13:09:16
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    I do know that eating a raw onion and/or garlic daily will stave off a cold 99% of the time. I no longer eat the garlic, but I do use Zicam if I feel the slightest symptom of a cold. Haven't had a cold for a couple of years now. garlic zicam feel slightest symptom cold cold couple years Zicam
  • Common Sense Conservative 2011/01/24 08:34:15
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Common Sense Conservative
    +1
    I could care less if it's true or not because I love onions and if people dismiss this article it's because they only want to use Snopes or some other form of non belief. Thanks
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Eating onions can cure the flu?
  • chickn Andrew 2011/01/24 12:57:23
    chickn
    dont know Andrew, never tested it, but i will next time I am getting sick!
  • Happy Face 2011/01/24 06:01:43
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Happy Face
    +1
    That was cool! I'll try it out when someone gets sick in my home or pass it along to those who are. Thanks for sharing!
  • katerinak955 2011/01/24 05:39:12
  • slim8961 2011/01/24 04:40:33
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    slim8961
    +1
    COOL thanx for sharing!
  • NYC Firedog 2011/01/24 04:38:24
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    NYC Firedog
    +1
    Pretty interesting. Sounds plausible, and why not try it.

The anecdote of the Beauty Parlor was doubtful though. The sytilists still have to go out in the world and face flu and cold viruses everywhere else, so I doubt it had an effect there unless it was just to minimize infection from exposure to all their clients, which IS plausible.

I've always used onions cut and put in the fridge though. But I have a tough immune system.
  • Dixienc NYC Fir... 2011/01/24 16:52:48
    Dixienc
    +1
    Like you I've always reused cut onions. Not once have I or anyone around me become sick from it. Now I will try to use them within a few days. Once they start getting to looking "funny" I toss them out. But we will use an entire onion within two to three days max.
  • J Montana 2011/01/24 04:18:49
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    J Montana
    +3
    wow! Thanks, Chickn!

I just bought onions and peppers to make Fried Potatoes.
  • chickn J Montana 2011/01/24 12:58:27
    chickn
    +1
    mmmmmmmm that sounds great! Mama used to make that with scrambled eggs mixed in... delish!
  • J Montana chickn 2011/01/24 19:38:45
    J Montana
    I may do that too. : )
  • Maria 2011/01/24 03:45:22
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Maria
    +2
    Thanks for this interesting tips.
  • Faith † 2011/01/24 03:39:02
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Faith †
    +3
    intreging
  • thepastord 2011/01/24 03:29:02
    thepastord
    +5
    I use half of a onion all the time. The other half goes in a zip bag, and in the refrigerator for up to a week. So far we are all still living.................... Oh, the other half has been used in potato salad too, and none of us has ever had a problem.
  • Camda 2011/01/24 03:12:10
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    Camda
    +1
    Fascinating stuff. Will look into it.
  • William 2011/01/24 03:06:12
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    William
    Sometimes the old remedies are the best.

Of course, the AMA and FDA will probably get together and force you to remove this post and bring a court order against you to force you to never speak of this again.

After all, they can't make any money when they can't treat something.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/01/24 03:04:37
    kinda makes sense Chickn, Thanks!
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    lots of herbs besides garlic and onions are powerfully good for the immune system
    orange juice and oranges
    apples and appl juice
    mint
    hot peppers the chemical in the capsim burns up the virus in you and speeds up ur metabolism triggers a small allergic reaction thats why u feel hot when u eat foods with hot peppers and that make u mega produce white blood cells
    ginger is excellent for kidney and liver problems and great for those with stomach problems
    Green tea is excellent to purfiy the body
    lemon limes are anti germ as well

2014/11/22 16:59:28