Indiana Creationism Teaching Bill Moves Forward In State Senate

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/01/27 00:34:34

Indiana legislators are moving forward on a bill that would allow creationism to be taught alongside other theories in the state's public school system.

The Senate Education Committee voted 8-2 Wednesday to present the bill to the full Senate, the Associated Press reports.

Creationism, a theory with origins in the Bible's Book of Genesis, suggests that divine power created man, animal, and all earthly matters. The idea is anopposing view to the science-based theory of evolution.

If the bill passes, Indiana school districts will have the option to include creationism as part of science courses, Indianapolis' WXIN reports.

The bill was sponsored by Republican Sen. Dennis Kruse, head of the Indiana State Senate's Education Committee.

Kruse previously proposed similar legislation in 2000 when he served as a state representative. That billnever made it past a committee vote, according to the Journal Gazette.

Indiana isn't the only state to examine the possibility of adding creationism to school curriculum.

Oklahoma, New Hampshire and Missouri have all looked at similar bills designed to encourage a critical look at evolution theory,the Wall Street Journal observes.

About 60 percent of high school biology teachers teach evolution in the classroom without taking a direct stance on the issueLiveScience reports.

The article states:

Based on respondents' write-in answers, the researchers surmised that many of these cautious teachers toed the line, weakly teaching evolution without explicitly endorsing or denying creationism in order to avoid controversy and questions from both students and parents.

Only 13 percent of the teachers surveyed in the nationwide study published in the journal Sciencesaid they support creationism and teach it "in a positive light."

Indiana Sen. Scott Schneider said he voted in favor of SB 89 because students should be taught various theories on the origin of life, according to the Northwest Indiana and Illinois Times.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/26/indiana-s...

• elijahin24 2012/01/27 00:37:30
    elijahin24
    +10
    Attention all creationists!!!
    I would like to take this opportunity to concede that YOU did in fact, NOT evolve.

• SourDiesel 2012/02/02 21:07:23
    SourDiesel
    +2
    Intelligent design, and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life, are not science because they cannot be tested by experiment, do not generate any predictions, and propose no new hypotheses of their own.
  • Keichi Morisato 2012/01/28 16:04:08
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    i hate it when people get the wrong idea of what and who christians are. you guys are just as bad as the "christians" trying to shove your own religion down my throat when all i want are the facts from both sides with out all the bickering. and part of the reason i am christian is because i find it too sad to think that when i die i just cease to exist. true christians are open loving people who show god and the love of christ through their own actions and don't force their own wills on to you. christianity has a lot to do with being accountable for your own actions and being sincere. those bible thumping morons (for lack of a better term) are not christians and will never be seen in heaven as they are just as bad as the pharacies.
  • Keichi Morisato 2012/01/28 15:48:08
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    ok you people don't get it do you? evolution to you is a religion and by religion you believe we can from a rock. creationism should be taught with evolution and not just from christianity it should include most major religions from around the world and each should be taught not as fact but as a possible theory that can't be definitively proven as even evolution CAN NOT BE PROVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 21:16:27
    SourDiesel
    +1
    "evolution CAN NOT BE PROVEN" -
    Really? So you have never heard of viruses evolving immunities to antibiotics over time, or insects evolving immunities to pesticides over time?
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 21:41:22
    Keichi Morisato
    yeah that MICRO evolution NOT MACRO, micro can be studied and has been proven look at frogs but macro evolution has yet to be definitively proven.
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 21:45:28
    SourDiesel
    +1
    Both have mountains upon mountains of evidence in the fossil record and in life now that backs up both micro and macroevolution. There is a scientific consensus on the matter. The American Association for the Advancement of Science, the world's largest general scientific society with more than 130,000 members and over 262 affiliated societies and academies of science including over 10 million individuals, has made several statements and issued several press releases in support of evolution. The prestigious United States National Academy of Sciences, which provides science advice to the nation, has published several books supporting evolution and denouncing creationism and intelligent design.
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 21:47:41 (edited)
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 21:55:35 (edited)
    SourDiesel
    +1
    You obviously did not do to good in high school science class because you are very uneducated about how science works. No, fossils are not dated by rocks, nor are rocks dated by fossils. The "age" is usually based on a comparison between the observed abundance of a naturally occurring radioactive isotope and its decay products, using known decay rates. There are many different kinds of dating methods that science uses such as Uranium-lead dating, Potassium-argon dating, Rubidium-strontium dating, Uranium-thorium dating, Radiocarbon dating, Fission track dating, Chlorine-36 dating, and a host of other methods.
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 22:03:41
    Keichi Morisato
    even then the age can still be disputed
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 22:06:43 (edited)
    SourDiesel
    +1
    To a very, very small degree. To a degree of less than 1%. All dating methods used on a single fossil, rock, or tree produce the similar "age".
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 22:13:20 (edited)
    Keichi Morisato
    i just don't think it should be taught as fact until it has been difinativly proven though being taught as a possibility of what happened I'm fine.
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 22:10:30 (edited)
    Keichi Morisato
    screwe it again i can fully say what i want to and this is pissing me off that i can't i am a smart person i just can't handle stress of any kind and it colds my judgement.
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 22:18:56
    SourDiesel
    +1
    What evidence do you have to suggest that evolution will never be proven?

You are not using the term "theory" correctly. "Fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty"; there ain't no such thing as absolute certainty. In science "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional consent."

And to the bible being taught as history, I say no. There are plenty of better history books to read from.
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 22:21:30 (edited)
    Keichi Morisato
    screw it i don't care anymore... this conversation is boring sorry I'm not trying to be cynical or running away i just don't have the proper word to fully say what i want to say
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 22:30:27
    SourDiesel
    +1
    So if we have to teach everything equally then does that mean we should teach every single possible way that the Universe was created? We would have to teach the Hindu creation story, the Islamic creation story, the Egyptian creation story, the Greek creation story, that unicorns or leprechauns created the universe because hey, it's possible. It would take forever to teach that sort of class because anyone could just come up with another new claim of creation. That is why we should ONLY teach that which has evidence to support it. Evolution is not a religion. There are many religious people of all faiths who believe in evolution. In case you didn't know the definition of a religion is, the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power or being. Evolution is the furthest thing from a religion.
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 22:40:45 (edited)
    Keichi Morisato
    screw it
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 22:46:43
    Keichi Morisato
    lets go with the old fashioned I'm right your wrong I'm smart your dumb route ok? and because i believe in creationism I'm the dumb one ok? I'm used to it even in my own religion I've had people belittle me. i just can't say what i want to say this isn't my area of expertise. if you wanted a good game or anime to watch or manga to read I'm your man theological debates i can't hold my ground in at all. i can't debate for hours on the importance of a cut scene in a video game i can't even do that with my own religion T-T I'm sorry for wasting you time.
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 23:48:41
    SourDiesel
    +1
    You didn't waste my time. I like asking questions and listening to people's opinions. I didn't mean to belittle you or anything, I an only pointing out where you are misinformed so that way you can see where you need to educate yourself on something before going around spouting off that you know something."Knowing" comes with criteria that needs filling, unlike "believing". You can believe whatever you want to believe. Just don't go ariund saying it's knowledge.
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/03 01:18:52
    Keichi Morisato
    ok
  • Radical Ed SourDiesel 2012/02/03 06:27:29
    Radical Ed
    +1
    very informative by the way
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 21:46:10
    SourDiesel
    Gravity has yet to be definitively proven, does that mean you don't believe in it?
  • Keichi ... SourDiesel 2012/02/02 22:05:04
    Keichi Morisato
    gravity? well guess not but if you fall and hit the ground you die and thats good enough for me.
  • SourDiesel Keichi ... 2012/02/02 22:10:15
    SourDiesel
    Why is that evidence good enough for you but not the evidence that science gives in support of evolution?
  • Keichi Morisato 2012/01/28 15:41:33
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    thats how it should be taught not as fact but as a theory with other theories from other religions including evolution.
  • Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +2
    Why is half of this country stuck in the 50's?
  • Radical Ed 2012/01/27 06:33:30
  • Radical Ed Radical Ed 2012/01/27 13:34:30
  • Keichi ... Radical Ed 2012/02/02 22:14:58
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    i like your profile pic its EDWARD the super hacker.
  • Radical Ed Keichi ... 2012/02/03 06:22:40
    Radical Ed
    thanks :)
  • Bibliophilic 2012/01/27 04:42:56
    Bibliophilic
    +4
    I was never ashamed to be born in Indiana... until now. Creationism is theology not science!
  • Keichi ... Bibliop... 2012/01/28 15:42:22
    Keichi Morisato
    it going to be taught as a theory not as fact just as much evolution is a THEORY!!!!!!!!!
  • Vision of Verve 2012/01/27 02:26:10
  • Radical Ed Vision ... 2012/01/27 06:30:16
    Radical Ed
    +2
    ^this, ladies and gentlemen, is hypocrisy.
  • Ty ~ PHAET 2012/01/27 02:24:11
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +5
    Next we can look for bills forcing medical schools to teach that diseases are caused by demons.

Ooh, maybe next we can have religious math. We can teach children that 2+2=5, because we have to include God in everything, right?
  • ☠ Live ... Ty ~ PHAET 2012/01/27 18:44:15
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    2+2=5, huh?
    Challenge accepted
  • Keichi ... ☠ Live ... 2012/01/28 15:43:21
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    actually someone did a thesis and actually proved that 2+2=5
  • ☠ Live ... Keichi ... 2012/01/28 16:16:12
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    wat. But how??
  • Keichi ... ☠ Live ... 2012/01/28 16:19:33
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    don't know but I've heard about this from several people.
  • Curmudgeon 2012/01/27 01:46:33
    Curmudgeon
    +1
    Sounds like an easy class, whenever the teacher asks who made something the correct answer is "god did it!" All thinking and questions that go against the brainwashing will be met with time in detention.
  • Keichi ... Curmudgeon 2012/01/28 15:44:14
    Keichi Morisato
    your misinterpreting the article it going to be taught as a THEORY with evolution not as fact

2014/07/28 06:18:55