In your own words, describe Scientology. (Please, do NOT be a rude about it)

666_Maggots~I'm a female! 2012/07/26 02:05:09
Related Topics: Word, Describe, Words

• Leslie Hope 2012/09/18 05:43:46
    Leslie Hope
    +6
    Take some discarded ideas from early psychoanalysts and some techniques from stage hypnotists, throw in a familiarity with the "long con" method and an electronic version of the ouija board, add a dash of Buddhism and some New Age self-help / self-worship, and serve over a steaming pile of mediocre science fiction infused with delusional hero-worship and fanatical loyalty. Charge exponentially-increasing amounts for each of the hundred courses, and demand that everyone consume nothing else or, barring this, pay for lengthy confessional sessions wherein they detail every non-standard morsel and then start over with the appetiser.

• Nicholas DeShane 2013/10/01 04:21:29
    Nicholas DeShane
    A pyramid scheme thought up by a man that was quoted telling his friend "if I made a religion I could make millions", before he made his religion, a religion that involves aliens, surprising I know, who would have thought the truth about aliens and their confused brain washed ghosts would be revealed to a science fiction writer by trade. He died on his private island, but not alone, there were a lot of shirtless boys there, seriously.
  • Picasso's Cat 2013/09/30 23:58:27
    Picasso's Cat
    +1
    Simply it's a cult of grifters.
    Read about it.......... Sweeney, John (2013). The Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology. London: Silvertail Books. ISBN 1909269034.

cult
  • Kimberly 2012/12/02 17:44:02
    Kimberly
    Scientology is a cult. It abuses its members and scams them out of their money. Through front organizations such as Narconon, it preys on weak-minds and have even had students die due to their neglect.
  • Carter 2012/10/22 14:46:21
    Carter
    +1
    Scientology is a set of religious beliefs written down by L Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer. He claimed that it was a religious philosophy and a way for man to achieve spiritual freedom and achieve harmony with his fellow man.
    The same man also lied about his education, lied about his military record, divorced twice, had one son disown him, while another commited suicide being depressed after not being accepted by his father. His 'scientific' writings are easily disprovable with a rudimentary knowledge of physics. He commanded his followers to attack, lie to, deprive of property and destroy any critic.He claimed to be harassed by governments, psychiatrists, banks and aliens. His path to spiritual freedom also costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.
  • Scandalf 2012/10/04 22:01:57
    Scandalf
    An organization that makes money fooling weak-willed people.
    Hey! It's a religion!
  • Billy the kid 2012/09/20 18:16:50
    Billy the kid
    In my opinion it is all a load of mumbo jumbo masquerading as pseudo psychology/ science-call it what you will-all with the object of parting the gullible from large amounts of dosh.
    But hey,what the Hell do I know!!!!
  • Leslie Hope 2012/09/18 05:43:46
    Leslie Hope
    +6
  • Incognito Leslie ... 2012/09/18 17:32:56
  • Billy t... Leslie ... 2012/09/20 18:18:48
    Billy the kid
    +1
    That seems to sum it up pretty concisely to me....!!
    audience clapping
  • Tee Quake 2012/09/18 01:56:16
    Tee Quake
    I don't really know much about it, but if it helps people it cannot be as bad as some people allege, can it?
  • reaper Tee Quake 2012/09/18 02:43:56
    reaper
    +2
    it doesn't, it's based on fraud and it's founder gave all new meaning to the term pathological liar.
  • Incognito reaper 2012/09/18 17:37:14
  • Incognito Tee Quake 2012/09/18 17:30:44
  • Incognito 2012/09/17 20:58:03
  • Buster Brown 2012/08/22 14:28:42
    Buster Brown
    +2
    Scientology is a new religion which incorporates many of the truths shared by other religions. Scientology believes in God, but doesn't tell you who God is. Through studying and counseling the individual gains spiritual awareness, they decide for themselves who God is for them. There are similarities with other religions, but unlike some religions which believe that man is basically evil, Scientology believes man is basically good.

To study Scientology you take courses. Some of the courses are more religious in nature - others give you solutions to everyday problems. The basics of the religion are covered in 21 books and about 200 lectures. You can also get one-on-one counseling. To find out more: www.whatisscientology.org
  • ANGEL 2012/08/22 14:22:56
    ANGEL
    +2
    How interesting -- No one responded to your question. That is because they don't know what Scientology is and obviously have no first hand experience. I will answer your question:

http://www.standardscientolog...

“Scientology believes man to be basically good, not evil. It is his experiences that have led him to commit evil deeds, not his nature. Often, he mistakenly solves his problems by considering only his own interests, which then causes trouble for both himself and others. Scientology believes that man advances to the degree he preserves his spiritual integrity and values, and remains honest and decent. Indeed, he deteriorates to the degree he abandons these qualities.

But because man is basically good he is capable of spiritual betterment, and it is the goal of Scientology to bring him to a point where he is capable of sorting out the factors in his own life and solving his own problems. Other efforts to help man often try to solve his problems for him and in this respect Scientology is different. Scientology believes that an individual placed in a position where he has higher intelligence, where he can confront life better, where he can identify the factors in his life more easily, is also in a position to solve his own problems and so better his own life. “

“Its...

http://www.standardscientolog...

“Its end result is increased awareness and freedom for the individual and rehabilitation of his basic decency, power and ability.”

The basics of Scientology principals are in 21 books and several accompanying lectures - most of which are in your local library.
  • Buster ... ANGEL 2012/08/22 14:35:28 (edited)
    Buster Brown
    +2
    If anyone has any question whether it is a religion - the answer is "yes". The subject of Scientology as a religion has been studied by objective experts in the field. Here are a few of those findings - although I have many, many more studies - all of which have come to the same conclusions:

1) Irving Hexham, Professor of Religious Studies, University of Calgary says: ",,,all of these traditions, including Scientology, are religious and they deserve equitable treatment under the law.”

2) IS SCIENTOLOGY A RELIGION? by GARY D. BOUMA, PH.D. "I have been asked for my professional opinion on the question Is Scientology a religion? I have the following professional qualifications relevant to this issue: B.A. Calvin College (Greek and Philosophy) B.D. Princeton Theological Seminary (Church and Society) M.A. Cornell University (Sociology) Ph.D. Cornell University (Sociology of Religion)

...I have read various books about Scientology and visited the church in Victoria...it is my professional opinion that the Church of Scientology can reasonably be categorized a religion."

3) By Alan W. Black, Associate Professor of Sociology, University of New England:
    “As a sociologist with a specialization in the study of religion, I have been asked to address the question "Is Scientology a religion?" ...

“As a sociologist with a specialization in the study of religion, I have been asked to address the question "Is Scientology a religion?" In answering that question, I am not pronouncing on the truth or falsity of Scientology. Rather, I am considering whether Scientology meets the criteria commonly used to define a religion…I consider that Scientology is rightly regarded as a religion. As well as having the salient generic characteristics that typify recognized religions, Scientology has its own distinctive features - particular beliefs and practices that mark it out as a different religion rather than a non-religion.”
  • beach bum 2012/07/30 11:49:45
    beach bum
    +3
    um scam
  • Incognito beach bum 2012/09/17 20:59:34
  • Leslie ... Incognito 2012/09/20 03:08:46
    Leslie Hope
    +1
    ...and Charlie soon left, denouncing Scientology as "too weird" ;-)
  • Incognito Leslie ... 2012/09/20 15:43:42
    Incognito
    And who would of thought...
    cat laughing gif charles manson scientology
  • reaper 2012/07/26 09:10:28
  • Incognito reaper 2012/09/17 21:02:36
  • Leslie ... reaper 2012/09/18 05:17:48
    Leslie Hope
    +1
    By the way, for those who don't know the details, the man in the "religious freedom" photo is a French children's entertainer known as "NoNo La Patate" or NoNo the Clown. He was assaulted by a group of Scientologists for holding up a sign reading (translation) "No to children in cults". He had to be treated in hospital, but has recovered. Scientologists are apparently very protective of their little unpaid laborers / "unhatted personnel" / future cash cows... what we wogs call children ;-)
  • Incognito Leslie ... 2012/09/18 17:41:11
    Incognito
    +1
    OMG, I didn't know that! Thanks for the details to that photo.
    omg gif
  • Incognito Leslie ... 2012/09/18 17:44:40
  • xxemogirlxx 2012/07/26 08:59:58
    xxemogirlxx
    +1
    about science i think haha hard question
  • Incognito xxemogi... 2012/09/17 21:11:11
  • Marcus Clark 2012/07/26 06:38:11
    Marcus Clark
    +2
    It is a cult made up by an excellent science fiction writer (and his followers.) It is misnamed as it really has nothing to do with real science.
  • Incognito Marcus ... 2012/09/17 21:13:13
    Incognito
    +2
    Except for science fiction...
    scientology science gif scientology science gif
  • thecutesttentacle 2012/07/26 05:06:37
    thecutesttentacle
    +1
    The belief of science over religion.
  • SFF thecute... 2012/07/26 13:19:53
    SFF
    +2
    If only. No actual science is involved.
  • Incognito SFF 2012/09/17 21:14:06
  • Trish 2012/07/26 03:46:12
    Trish
    +2
    It's actually not to easy to explain besides it having a lot to do with believing in immortal beings and extraterrestrial life started the human race...kinda weird.
  • SFF Trish 2012/07/26 13:18:49 (edited)
    SFF
    +2
    They don't believe humans are genetically descended from aliens. They believe our past lives include lives on other planets and that due to an incident 75 million years ago our bodies are playing host to a large number of alien souls that cause many of our problems.
  • Incognito SFF 2012/09/17 21:20:27
  • Incognito Trish 2012/09/17 21:15:26
  • Incognito Trish 2012/09/18 17:45:42
  • john busa 2012/07/26 02:54:11
    john busa
    +2
    A religion created by a science fiction writer, over a bet made in a bar. Bet was essentially this. " I'll bet you I can create a wacky religion that people actually believe. " Religion aside, I enjoyed reading Hubbards sci-fi works.
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/26 02:37:26

2014/11/27 18:34:29