In the interest of debate, do you have any idea how many people are self-identified by the census as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered?

TruBluTopaz 2012/06/08 02:06:09
20%
15%
10% (the most popular estimate by the way)
5%
Less than 5%
I ask this because in some circles the assumption that gay people are everywhere simply is not true. This is not an excuse to victimize those who are gay, but within the rhetoric of the far Left political there's this underlying drumbeat of "we're all victims." Let's set things straight. Males still earn more than females. This means that a two male family earns far more than a two female family. So the problems of the married male gay couple are more social than economic. There's also the issue of the circuit of friends within the gay community. Gay men in positions of power are far more likely to hire their friends than straight managers of either gender due to fear of harrassment rules in the workplace. In some industries like design, graphic design, fashion, or many of the art dealerships and cosmetic firms, one gay male knowing another leads to jobs far more often than the usual method of job search and interview. This puts straight males at a disadvantage and puts all females regardless of preference at a disadvantage. Except during Gay Pride events, you will seldom see or hear gay males speak favorably of their female counterparts. It's a very strange social experiment. So, the gay rights advocates claim victimhood on parity with what minorities went through in the bad old days of repression. But really, when you see how economically and socially advantaged many gay males are, does that mean they are still victims? They certainly like to latch onto that idea for political, financial and social largesse. Once again, this is not an excuse to mistreat anyone,but the numbers estimated by many people of the gay community can be grossly out of line with reality.

So here's the big question. Knowing all that I've stated above, and I will admit this is the result of observation while working for two different gay owned and managed corporations and it's opinion based on what I experienced, do YOU know the actual numbers of self identified gay people in America? Guess first, then go read the attached article. I think you will be surprised, maybe even shocked.

Read More: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/0...

• KCurtis 2012/06/09 14:50:28
    Less than 5%
    KCurtis
    +14
    I've heard it is 3%
    Personally I don't care what or who you sleep with, but don't ask to marry a sheep either. The Sanctity of Marriage is a union between a man and a woman with the intent on being exclusive and raising a family. It is no more a right than driving a car.

• Vijay Pawar 2012/06/18 17:38:26
    5%
    Vijay Pawar
    But the # is increasing fast.
  • beach bum 2012/06/17 22:09:34
    Less than 5%
    beach bum
    don't care
    5%
    could care less labels on people
  • amazinggrace 2012/06/17 15:10:02
    Less than 5%
    amazinggrace
    I have never seen this question on a census.
  • Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2012/06/11 23:37:41
    Less than 5%
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    This is not accounting for those who are identified as bisexual or as straight transsexual or transgender.

Also, while everything you said is true, you have to consider that social issues aren't to be taken lightly. It's not just about economics.
  • TruBluT... Yuki ~ ... 2012/06/11 23:41:47
    TruBluTopaz
    But at some point it has to be about economics. When theres' only so much revenue and you have a disease that impacts the entire community in all demographic areas and one that impacts just a small number, that should control allocation.
  • Yuki ~ ... TruBluT... 2012/06/12 01:27:35
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    You kind of lost me. Disease? Allocation of what?
  • TruBluT... Yuki ~ ... 2012/06/12 14:51:54
    TruBluTopaz
    Part of the debate on funding for AIDS has existed because of the misconception that the gay community comprises a larger portion of the general population. While AIDS has been spread to all people in regions where monogamy is loosely defined and patricarchal rules applied, women and children end up infected. Here, the disease began as one transmitted within the gay community and then through IV drug use and multiple partners to the general population, although the core is still within the gay community. I have no problem with funding research for drugs to help these people but that being said, the funding supply is limited. So do we fund AIDS and then diminish funding for cancer or heart disease, both of which impact far more people in the general population?
  • Yuki ~ ... TruBluT... 2012/06/12 18:39:14
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    You're following on the misconception that AIDS is a gay disease. It's not. The largest infected population outside of America is comprised of heterosexuals, and largely in Africa. The fact that it circulated within the gay community in America doesn't mean that they're the only ones who would benefit from a vaccine or drug for HIV. You have millions of people around the world who need this medication. The world does not revolve around American statistics.

And funding for cancer-- I hate to sound pessimistic, but as long as healthcare and the creation of medicine is an industry, we will NEVER find the cure for cancer. Doctors may want to help people, but the drug companies don't, and they're the one making the stuff doctors have available to prescribe or treat with.
  • TruBluT... Yuki ~ ... 2012/06/12 20:24:45
    TruBluTopaz
    But here in the U.S. the two main methods of transmission were sexual practices of gay males and IV drug use.
  • Yuki ~ ... TruBluT... 2012/06/12 21:31:11
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    Were.

They're not, now.
  • TruBluT... Yuki ~ ... 2012/06/17 20:17:27
    TruBluTopaz
    Because the conventional methods of preventing contagion being released into the community were ignored. Measles, typhoid, TB, any other such disease the patient would have to reveal their contacts to make sure that it didn't go underground. Political correctness blocked that.
  • Yuki ~ ... TruBluT... 2012/06/17 20:31:32 (edited)
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +1
    HIV is difficult to test for because it can go through a dormancy period. A patient might not know he or she has HIV, and it was neither well-understood nor was it appropriately handled. People freaked out and immediately thought that HIV was only something gay people had, and stigmatized anyone who was infected, which drove its existence into an underground of confusion and misinformation.

It wasn't about political correctness. It was about fear and misunderstanding and flat-out ignorance.
  • Somkey the Hores 2012/06/11 07:24:15 (edited)
    Less than 5%
    Somkey the Hores
    +1
    People who identify themselves by their sexuality are pitiable. There is SO much more to life than just sex.

The ONLY reason it seems gays are everywhere is because Gayists, leftists, athies, the government and the media and the U.N. are pushing a luciferic agenda.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/06/10 16:52:40 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    +4
    If you include bisexuals the number of non-straight people could be has high as 20%

Who knows? Why are we arguing over numbers again?

Also, I'll have a laugh at all of the anti-gay people who think that they know how many LGBTQ there are-HAH!

I'm pretty certain that I am listed as 'straight' on the census, since I didn't fill it out. I am not the 'head of my household' and the census is not exactly accurate to begin with.
  • KaylaE 2012/06/10 12:16:13
    15%
    KaylaE
    +3
    I actually haven't a clue But I would assume that whatever the number on the census it isn't the actual number in 'real life', I think the number would be greater whatever the answer to this question may be.
    5%
    +2
    Five percent tops. In fact, the Alan Guttmacher Institute says three percent.
  • David Temlako... 2012/06/10 20:10:27
    David
    +4
    Does dat mean the other five percent bottoms?
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/06/09 23:19:03
    Less than 5%
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +4
    I only got it right because I looked first. I think I would have said about 5%. The thing that really pisses me off is that statistically I had a 98% chance of marrying a straight guy and I get the gay guy? Why do I only win things like this and jury duty?
  • TruBluT... Gracie ... 2012/06/11 15:25:45
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    My daughter dated a guy through high school that only revealed himself as being gay right before senior prom.She didn't have a problem with him coming out, although it made all his promises lies, but the timing was pretty awful for a teenaged girl. What's worse is that four years later he tried to tell her he was still in love with her. I don't care if someone is gay, but don't play games with people's feelings.
  • Gracie ... TruBluT... 2012/06/11 16:32:00
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Bingo! That's why people believe I hold some hostility and grudge towards gays because of my experience, and it couldn't be further from the truth. I'm probably more compassionate towards their dilemma but just stop with the lies! At least your daughter found out before real damage to her life could be done. It's just always such a shocker! I can totally sympathize with her!!
  • TruBluT... Gracie ... 2012/06/11 19:36:43
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    It was rough on her. She felt betrayed. And she was humiliated because her friends all found out and distanced themselves. To this day she has no contact with anyone from high school due to this one guy's selfishness.
  • Gracie ... TruBluT... 2012/06/12 00:40:58
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    That's a shame but if they distanced themselves because of that she didn't lose any real friends!
  • Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/09 16:03:37
    Less than 5%
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Actual numbers of LGBT people in the general population is around 3.8% by their own estimates! http://gaylife.about.com/od/c...
    But when asked by survey I had heard.The general person on the street thought the number of LGBT Americans was around 25% of the population.So all the pro LGBT media and popular culture has magnified the influence of this relatively small population group!
  • marylou5 2012/06/09 15:16:18 (edited)
    Less than 5%
    marylou5
    +8
    i believe the gays themselves have boasted that with barely 1% of the population
    they have made great strides in changing the laws to do their bidding, because they plan events, parades and demonstrations that misrepresent their numbers.

One loud obnoxious gay exhibitionist gets the attention of the liberal press and photo ops! The liberal press always exaggerates the actual numbers attending gay events.

Interesting that a very small minority is trying to destroy family values in America. Who is using and financing this mini group and why?? That's the big question.
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2012/06/09 14:52:45
    Less than 5%
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +8
    Think it was 2%
  • KCurtis 2012/06/09 14:50:28
    Less than 5%
    KCurtis
    +14
    I've heard it is 3%
  • DuncanONeil 2012/06/09 01:04:17
    Less than 5%
    DuncanONeil
    +4
    Actually I believe it is less than 3%
  • Charmaine 2012/06/08 22:29:39
    Less than 5%
    Charmaine
    +3
    I am pretty sure there are not that many of them and I could care less for them!!!
  • Somkey ... Charmaine 2012/06/11 07:27:36
    Somkey the Hores
    You could? How much less?
  • Bibliop... Charmaine 2012/06/17 02:15:21
    Bibliophilic
    I couldn't care less for you- now we're equal!
  • Charmaine Bibliop... 2012/06/27 07:26:44
    Charmaine
    F U
  • holly go lightly 2012/06/08 19:30:06
    20%
    holly go lightly
    +5
    Why the hell is that a census question?It should not be .there is no reason for it.The census is waay out of control!
  • TruBluT... holly g... 2012/06/08 21:17:56
    TruBluTopaz
    +11
    Well, in the interest of demographics and things like Federal funding for programs, population growth, etc, the long form does ask some personal questions. But here's the deal, if it was an outside agency that asked, would that make any difference in the results if they were confidential? Go read the story. It's not my stats. It's the Federal government which last time I looked was run by Democrats.
  • holly g... TruBluT... 2012/06/08 22:11:03
    holly go lightly
    +4
    I do not think they are yours.Why would you think I did?
    The census has one purpose and only one.Read the constitution.
  • Charmaine holly g... 2012/06/08 22:31:07
    Charmaine
    +1
    Why don't you read the constitution and tell me why this country is trying to get rights for an illegitimate AIDS trade species!!! Tell me what you find!!!
  • holly g... Charmaine 2012/06/08 22:43:57
    holly go lightly
    +5
    First of all the constitution does not address such a thing and second you can try to find out about that on your own ,if that is where your interest lies.
  • marylou5 TruBluT... 2012/06/09 15:28:18
    marylou5
    +5
    Way past time to curb the government and change the Census to get only the information required under the Constitution.

I refuse to answer anything on a census form that is not required. When they call you because you omitted info, simply state that you don't have that information for them and hang up!
  • marylou5 TruBluT... 2012/06/09 15:41:16
    marylou5
    +4
    I'm really confused...are you advocating that the Census needs to include sexual orientation?
  • TruBluT... marylou5 2012/06/09 17:15:38
    TruBluTopaz
    +3
    No, but since they survey that kind of information in order to allocate funding to special interests, the information is out there.

2014/10/21 08:59:39