In 'real life' do you associate with people you do not like, or who verbally abuse you on a regular basis?

Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/06/21 23:07:02
No, I do not make it a habit to hang out with people I don't like.
Yes, I often hang out with people I don't like for fun
Not because of your job, but for fun, or pleasure? Do you keep these people in your life?

Do you visit with them? Share a beer, wine, tea and cookies? Do you debate with them?

If you answered 'NO' are you then cowardly and pathetic?

In 'real life' we are not expected to deal with people whose company we do not enjoy, or who verbally abuse us, or stalk us, or bully us. And nobody calls you a coward for cutting them from your life.

So why then, when a person blocks another person on this site, a person whom they obviously do not like or get along with, are they called a coward?

This is our free time, for some we are here because of friendships made, or to debate, or just to kill some time. So why is it so wrong to do what it takes to ensure that you enjoy your time on SodaHead? Aren't there enough people on this site to talk to, without whining about those who have blocked you?

soSoap Box

• Xerxes 2012/06/21 23:13:57
    Xerxes
    +12
    Blocking is here for a reason, that reason is in the mind of the person doing the blocking. There are groups here that want this to go away, the most vocal of these are trolls.

• MLor 2012/07/16 01:51:32
    MLor
    Nuff said.
  • Flamingolady 2012/07/02 13:08:04
    Flamingolady
    +1
    I wouldn't hang out with people I don't like because life is too short and why have negative feelings coming toward you? Usually the people that I don't care for, don't like me either, so why waste time. And here on SodaHead, I would NEVER care to be around some of the people that take pride in being obnoxious. And yes, I block them, and don't care if it seems cowardly to them. It is not worth me having to think one scintilla of a negative thought about them.
  • Piper 2012/06/25 20:08:01
    Piper
    +1
    I don't compare 'real life' to SH. Blocking for simple disagreements, is what people mostly complain about on SH. In real life, I don't tell people to shut up, and ban them from my life, just because we don't agree on some issues. If people want to block anyone who annoys them on SH, that is their business, of course. I don't consider it cowardly or pathetic, just an option they choose.
    If people want to vent about being insulted and blocked, or finding themselves blocked in a discussion that someone initiated, I don't consider that whining, anymore than I consider blocking always "pathetic and cowardly".
  • Jump Back Jack ~ The Minstr... 2012/06/23 01:31:37
    Jump Back Jack ~ The Minstrel of *þᾞमेॐऊ
    +1
    Arguing is how I get my rocks off.
  • Melicio... Jump Ba... 2012/06/23 02:14:12
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Do you like angry sex too?
  • Jump Ba... Melicio... 2012/06/23 19:59:31
    +1
    Not at all. I like it lazy and accompanied by cool jazz or ambient electronica.

Not that this should be important to anyone but me. :|
  • Melicio... Jump Ba... 2012/06/23 20:42:01
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Well, seeing as it's none of my business, good for you. :)
  • FindingHeartInThisCrazy World 2012/06/23 01:22:16
    FindingHeartInThisCrazy World
    +1
    life is too short
  • SA 2012/06/22 18:36:04
    SA
    +1
    In real life or on the internet I choose whether or not to associate or communicate with an individual.

There are too many on this site to whine about being blocked by anybody.
  • ETpro 2012/06/22 18:25:00
    ETpro
    I've been married 35 years. What do you think?
  • Kenken 2012/06/22 16:03:47
    Kenken
    I say yes but it sure as hell ain't for fun! Sometimes there is no other option
  • Melicio... Kenken 2012/06/22 16:26:46
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Yeah, so you didn't read my whole statement, I clearly said for fun.
  • Maddog 2012/06/22 15:53:17
    Maddog
    +1
    No, I'm not a masochist!
  • Rosalie 2012/06/22 15:47:08
    Rosalie
    +1
    I do not hang out with people I don't like but I do have to associate with them because of my grandchildren . Abuse is not tolerated in any situation .
  • JohnT 2012/06/22 15:09:45
    JohnT
    +1
    I don't associate with people I don't like with the exception of a relative or two a few times a year. I'm a lot less violent than I used to be when I was younger, but even at my senior age I am not the type of person that will take any abuse verbal or otherwise. I now try to use logic and reason and if that does not work than I rather walk away, if that does not work than it is time to move some furniture.
    I will admit I have blocked a few people on this site. I don't care for the mentally challenged that have to call people names or their opinion is more important than someone else so don't want anything to do with them. I am here to enjoy the site not put up with those with anger management problems.
  • Tasine 2012/06/22 13:49:05
    Tasine
    +2
    One cannot change others' behavior, only his own. I don't block often, but when I do, I'm doing it for MY benefit as I owe no benefit to the person I don't want to talk with. I see nothing wrong with blocking. I see nothing wrong with NOT blocking. If it's your thing, do it. If you don't like to, then don't. EVERYBODY has both options. Has nothing to do with fear or wimpiness - has more to do with disgust than anything else.
  • Archer ~ The Limit Break of... 2012/06/22 13:40:20
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +3
    Sad but true. Usually because they come with people I *do* like. Sometimes just because it gets me the ***** out of the house.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/06/22 10:27:10
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    I avoid like the plague that they are. I've got more than enough good people in my life, so they get my time and energy.
  • Dan 2012/06/22 09:35:24
    Dan
    +1
    I don't know if this counts as socialising, but i did once put the offending guys head in a press machine and promise to switch it on......didn't make me any friends but definatly influenced him. lol
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2012/06/22 06:19:06
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +2
    I should have said yes. I need somebody to throw darts at. lol kidding
  • La 2012/06/22 05:10:02
    La
    +1
    V good analogy :)
  • rand 2012/06/22 04:28:12
    rand
    +2
    It's not so much that I dislike them as it is that I'm not a masochist.
  • Michelle 2012/06/22 03:15:12
    Michelle
    +1
    Though I'm not sure if I can say my friends feel the same way about hanging around me.
  • taylordoesntdeserve 2012/06/22 02:30:37
    taylordoesntdeserve
    +1
    That is a very good point.
    I can never answer unbiased on this area of questioning, because I am always the person blocked, never the blocker. I said "penis" on one of Sister Jeans polls once, specifically because she said not to say anything crude. I got a kick out of it, haha.
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/06/22 01:55:07
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    I can avoid people I don't like here by, well, avoiding them. I don't have to block them. I also wouldn't block someone just because I don't like what they say -- if I did, I might just as well not be here at all.

When I get a comment from someone I don't like (or I don't like the comment), I put my hand over the screen and move it down slowly till I see the Nickname. If it's from the unliked one, I go back to Happenings or on to the next comment without reading. If I've had enough of a question, I delete it if it shows up again.

You might be forced into social contact with someone you don't like -- are you rude or do you suck it up and behave nicely even though you'd like to spit in his/her eye?
  • Fran-Halen 2012/06/22 01:35:45
    Fran-Halen
    +2
    You are on the mark with your statement.....very true.
  • Melicio... Fran-Halen 2012/06/22 01:45:37
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    Thank you.
  • Fran-Halen Melicio... 2012/06/22 01:46:52
    Fran-Halen
    You are welcome.
  • zero resistance 2012/06/22 01:34:41
    zero resistance
    +2
    I hang out with those I like and I don't take abusive behavior lying down. But if someone's abusive to me on SH I'm usually not abusive back, especially if I think they've got the wrong end of the stick or they're trying to drag me into a personal argument to distract from the topic at hand. People who insist on being rude get blocked, but it's rare, I think I have about 5 people blocked.
    +3
    Just like in real life ..
    one can agree to disagree ..
    (in a respectful, courteous way)

but there comes a time ..
    when the person is so .. well .. (hmm how to state politely)
    "DISAGREEABLE"
    (in a very bad way .. they are that far gone indeed)

that you can freely choose to say ..
    I think I'll pass on associating/socializing with this 'filth' .. these who step on others ..
    and I'll respect their choice to freely be the way they are
    (and not willingly enable that at all)

so in SH ..
    there's the BLOCK Option for the same type of
    "Disagreeable" individuals ..
    (those who cyberattack, threaten, post filth/nastiness)

Obviously .. they've well stated their distaste for civility and conversation ..
    so we can CHOOSE to not let that into our lives on-line as well.
  • Queen B 2012/06/22 01:17:57
    Queen B
    +5
    I don't associate with people like that in "real life" or on here. And if someone is bitching about blocking and calling people cowards for blocking, they can piss off too. I don't care if people block or not, and I sure don't see not blocking as being some badge of honor or blocking as a form of "censorship". Nonsense.
  • Ozymandias 2012/06/22 01:09:13
  • Ty ~ PHAET 2012/06/22 01:07:30 (edited)
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +6
    The block feature exists for a very good reason -- especially for security purposes -- and every social networking site should have one. I view the block feature as a restraing order, of sorts, sans the middle man and paperwork. Someone keeps making hateful or abusive comments? Block them. Someone keeps harrassing you or stalking you? Block them. They block you? Make it mutual. It'll keep them from pulling the usual tactics of blocking, unblocking just long enough to throw in a cheap shot, and re-blocking before you can respond or do anything about it.

Yes, some people on this site DO abuse the feature, but there's no need whatsoever to set up some sort of bureaucratic system to determine if said block was justified, as some people on this site have suggested. This site ain't that important.
  • Melicio... Ty ~ PHAET 2012/06/22 01:47:24
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +4
    Well said.
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/22 00:36:07
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    And if they did try to hang out with me,well they would know they were not wanted real fast.
  • Cuppajo 2012/06/22 00:18:37
    Cuppajo
    +2
    I, effectively, BLOCK them out of my life.
  • Feria~Badass of PHAET~ 2012/06/21 23:58:29
    Feria~Badass of PHAET~
    +5
    I love you <3
    love 3
  • Melicio... Feria~B... 2012/06/22 00:52:31
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +5
    Me, you, more. <3 <3
  • Kaimeso 2012/06/21 23:55:50
  • L1 2012/06/21 23:44:53
    L1
    +4
    I don't, and real life is tougher. I have dealt with calling the cops and bad neighbors.
    Real life is far more important than any cyber deal.

2014/12/20 02:24:05