In general, is there political bias in American universities?

Prager University 2012/04/03 06:25:56
An LA Times article was recently published noting the disproportionate number of Democrat professors teaching at California universities. A study noted in the article purports that there is left-wing bias in both the chosen curriculum and the issues presented in class.

What do you think?

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0401-uc-cr...

• SJMC 2012/04/09 23:41:15
    Yes, There is an overall left-wing bias.
    SJMC
    +7
    At least I hope there's a liberal bias.

• Nameless mae 2012/04/10 00:04:54
    Nameless
    +1
    I was going to say something similar, but the article did mention universities in California. I was, though, thinking of places like Liberty University and Cedarville University - both of which would NEVER allow a true liberal to teach. Whereas, many much more liberal universities would allow a conservative to teach...
  • MJG2112 mae 2012/04/10 10:51:48
    MJG2112
    +1
    I believe it also depends largely upon the professor's experience and the subject being taught. I have typically found that profs with business experience primarily rooted in the "real world" tend to present subject matter from a middle to right-leaning perspective while profs whose experience is primarily academic tend to be much more left-leaning. Prestigeous schools such as Harvard place academia in the highest regard and this is probably the reason for their extremist political views.
  • mae MJG2112 2012/04/10 14:08:08
    mae
    Agreed. I never thought of Harvard as a place of extremeist views. I knew two professors who were quite right-wing--one was a mathmatics professor, the other a physicist. This was in the mid 1970's, at the height of Black Panthers, Angela Davis, People's Park, Symbianese Liberation Army, Chicago 7...guess where they taught? U.C.Berkley!

2014/10/21 16:48:49