Immaculate Conception means?

Sister Jean 2012/06/17 00:47:52

• themadhare ~IJM 2012/06/17 01:06:14 (edited)
    this_____
    themadhare ~IJM
    +8
    The belief that the Virgin Mary was conceived and born without original sin, and did not require baptism to confer Sanctifying Grace.

• Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/06/17 19:30:34
    I think
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    Mary was born without original sin?
  • Sister ... Chris- ... 2012/06/17 19:39:03
  • conservyT 2012/06/17 19:23:33
    this_____
    conservyT
    +1
    mean when our Blessed Mother was conceived, she was conceived without original sin.
  • Sister ... conservyT 2012/06/17 19:25:10
  • conservyT Sister ... 2012/06/17 19:26:31
    conservyT
    LOVE IT!

Have a Blessed Day Sister!
  • Jim 2012/06/17 15:33:28
    this_____
    Jim
    A little babbicle sans le hanky panky!
  • Sister ... Jim 2012/06/17 15:40:07
  • Jim Sister ... 2012/06/17 15:42:12
  • conservyT Sister ... 2012/06/17 19:24:07
    conservyT
    Agree.
  • KoAm 2012/06/17 12:37:54
    this_____
    KoAm
    +2
    The conception of Mary in her mother's womb.

Because it's celebrated only two weeks before Christmas, many people erroneously believe the Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of Jesus in His mother Mary's womb. Not so.

The Immaculate Conception of Mary means that she was conceived without the stain of original sin that the rest of us are conceived with.

This does not mean that Mary did not need a Savior, though. Mary's Savior was God, just as He is for the rest of us. He just chose Mary to be saved in a different manner than everyone else.
  • Sister ... KoAm 2012/06/17 15:19:15
  • Veritas 2012/06/17 05:09:52
    this_____
    Veritas
    +1
    A pregnancy without carnal knowledge.
  • Sister ... Veritas 2012/06/17 15:19:25
    no
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/06/17 05:03:08
    I think
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    I have problems with the entire "original sin" concept, and Christian dogma that claims that children bear the sins of their ancestors.
  • Jim Kaleoku... 2012/06/17 15:29:30
    Jim
    "Original Sin" is specifically Catholic. The Presbyterian Christian thinks stuff like that is a load of bunkum.
  • Sister ... Jim 2012/06/17 15:31:06
    +1
    no need to answer the question then
  • Jim Sister ... 2012/06/17 15:35:44
    Jim
    My post was a response to the one made by Kaleokualoha above.
  • MarinerFH 2012/06/17 04:52:24
  • conservyT MarinerFH 2012/06/17 19:28:37
    conservyT
    Fantasy???

The Catholic Church DID NOT create this!

That's how YOU choose to interpert it.
  • MarinerFH conservyT 2012/06/17 19:43:02
  • conservyT MarinerFH 2012/06/17 23:14:32
    conservyT
    Sadly, that's why you're no longer a practicing Catholic because you never learned the Doctrine.

It sounds like you were raised as a Catholic and sadly we have many like you who leave the Church because they were never taught the Doctrine properly.

Moreover, since they know nothing of the Church they ridicule her and say things such as You stated, “The Catholic Church has brainwashed innocent and trusting believers with a plethora of heresies an false doctrines.”

That's Not a fair statement.

So please don't refere to my Church's Doctrine as "brainwash" because there are many True Devote Catholics who know and understand our Faith; I'm sorry You didn't get it.

Peace...
  • Marlow ~ Let There Be Light 2012/06/17 03:58:26
    this_____
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +3
    Our blessed mother was conceived without original sin.

blessed mary in blue
  • Sister ... Marlow ... 2012/06/17 15:19:46
  • Marlow ... Sister ... 2012/06/18 01:01:06
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    I know our religion! :)

roman catholic prayer book
  • Marcus Clark 2012/06/17 03:31:58
    this_____
    Marcus Clark
    +3
    It is a Catholic teaching that Mary (the mother of Jesus) was born without sin. They teach that in order for Jesus to be born without sin Mary had to also be born without sin. To follow this logically, would require Mary's mother to have been born without sin, and her mother, and her mother... all the way back to Eve. There goes the belief of original sin right out the door.
    The truth is, Mary was an ordinary girl, just like any other. She became pregnant with Jesus while she was still a virgin, by a miracle of the Holy Spirit. She remained untouched (sexually) until after giving birth to Jesus. She and Joseph went on to have other children. Jesus' half brothers and sister(s) are mentioned multiple times and some even by name.
  • Sister ... Marcus ... 2012/06/17 15:20:10
  • Marlow ... Marcus ... 2012/06/18 01:19:01
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    It's not just the Catholic Church, it's all the Eastern Orthodox Churches and Oriental Churches. In fact all the Churches that go back to the first century believe in Mary's perpetual virginity. I don't want to get into an argument with you, but if you want to know the Catholic position on Jesus's you can read it here:
    http://www.catholic.com/tract...

The most convincing to me is this:
    "Consider what happened at the foot of the cross. When he was dying, Jesus entrusted his mother to the apostle John (John 19:26–27). The Gospels mention four of his "brethren": James, Joseph, Simon, and Jude. It is hard to imagine why Jesus would have disregarded family ties and made this provision for his mother if these four were also her sons."

The tradition of Mary's perpetual virginity goes all the way back to the Church Fathers in the first century. I'm sure you're not going to change your mind, but at least you should understand it did not come out of whim and it's not just the Catholic Church.
  • Marcus ... Marlow ... 2012/06/18 04:50:59
    Marcus Clark
    One reason why Jesus would defer care of His mother to John rather than any of His half-brothers is that John was a close friend/disciple/apostle. None of His half-brothers were followers until after the Resurrection. Also, that was a spoken instruction to John and Mary. That would not have cut His half-brothers out of the family, nor relieved them of any responsibility toward their mother.
  • Marlow ... Marcus ... 2012/06/18 11:28:22
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    First of all why would Jesus tell any disciple to take care of His mother if she had other children? In the culture of the first century that makes no sense whatsoever. In fact it would be egregious.

Second, you do realize that Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Huldrych Zwingli (the three biggies of Protestantism) all believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary? In fact just about all Christians until about two hundred years ago believed it. Like I said before, all Christians that trace their heritage to the first century still believe it. It was a known fact that for some reason did not make it into the New Testament.
  • Marcus ... Marlow ... 2012/06/18 23:34:15
    Marcus Clark
    "All Christians that trace their heritage to the first century still believe it." Not. Baptists trace their heritage to the early Church (accounted in Acts.) We do not identify with either Catholics or Protestants. We believe what the Bible says rather than the extra-biblical opinions of men.
    "Did not make it into the New Testament." Could the reason for that simply be that it is not true?
    Meanwhile the New Testament clearly indicates that Jesus did have (half-)brothers and sister(s.) You can try to twist and turn and explain it away all you want. The Bible is quite clear on this fact.
  • Marlow ... Marcus ... 2012/06/19 01:55:40 (edited)
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    Protestantism brought the blessing of looking at Christianity with fresh eyes, and I believe we learned from that. But Protestantism also brought the detriment that insists on being the opposite of tradition. I don't care if you believe Mary is a perpetual virgin or not. You have a defendable position, but it was not what the church fathers believed, nor even in most of the original protestant tradition.

You can believe whatever you want, but Christian theologians greater than you (if you consider yourself a theologian, and just because you read the bible doesn't make you a theologian) have disagreed, including the great Protestants. So when you start off your original comment with "the truth is..." you ought to have a little more Christian humility and recognize that certain things are in dispute and that just maybe you are wrong and it isn't the truth.

And please, that notion of Babtist - good people that they are, and I have several as my friends - being at the origins of Christianity in the first century is a fallacy.

Here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/w...

and here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/w...

Babtists evolved out of low church Anglicanism while merging with Anapbabtism. Neither were anywhere near the first century.

Peace be with you. I wish you no ill will.

Here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/w...

and here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/w...

• prayer warrior 2012/06/17 03:19:12
    this_____
    prayer warrior
    +2
    Mary was concieved without original sin
  • Sister ... prayer ... 2012/06/17 15:20:27
  • AngryGabby 2012/06/17 03:08:16
    I think
    AngryGabby
    If this is a religious term, I'm going to guess something with the Virgin Mary. I'm not big on the whole Bible studying thing.

Not meaning to offend.
  • skroehr 2012/06/17 03:08:11 (edited)
    I think
    skroehr
    +1
    ........it means that our blessed Mother was born without the blemish of original sin in order to make her worthy of being the vessel for the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Before I got serious about Christianity in my 40's, I have to admit that I always thought that this referred to the birth of Christ. I didn't find out until I was in RCIA that this referred to the birth of Mary. ;-)
  • Sister ... skroehr 2012/06/17 15:20:55
  • Jim in SC 2012/06/17 03:02:00
    I think
    Jim in SC
    +3
    I didn't understand the Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception until I read some of the posts in this thread. I learned something today. Thanks.
  • beach bum 2012/06/17 02:59:35
    this_____
    beach bum
    +2
    what themadhare said
  • cjd 2012/06/17 02:37:45
    this_____
    cjd
    +4
    Our Blessed Mother was born without original sin
  • Sister ... cjd 2012/06/17 15:21:12

2014/04/16 16:18:18