If you think religion is the major source of evil in the world, what do you think can be done about it?

Jim in SC 2012/05/07 03:06:21
Related Topics: Religion, World

• brination 2012/05/07 15:49:52
    Here's what should be done...
    brination
    +1
    people should start asking questions you have every right to be skeptical and want to know how we correlate with nature. I feel that religion doesnt fully express that, infact most religions are driven on hope and use fear to make people obedient . Im all about opening up the third eye Kundalini
  • Jim in SC brination 2012/05/09 03:27:08 (edited)
    Jim in SC
    Thanks for your reply. I like what you say about asking questions and seeking our place with nature. I'd disagree a little bit that religion doesn't do that. I do think religions have as a main focus how we relate to all that exists. I also think that the way many practice religion is to suppress doubts in that faith mostly internally, but unfortunately also often through manipulation or authoritarianism. But I think that is often the fault of the practitioners, not necessarily the fault of the religion itself. What do you think?
  • brination Jim in SC 2012/05/09 15:09:06
    brination
    I feel to some extent religion restricts the mind, I say this because most religions are notioned on hope and faith , not to say faith is a bad thing , but 9 OUT OF 1O times its used a crutch and in my opinion I feel its a nuerological disorder. How can one believe in something they have yet to see or hear?But don't get me wrong I'm not completely close minded on religion , I do understand that it inspires one to do better and be better , but even with saying that it varies on what is being actually taught and who is teaching it .
  • Jim in SC brination 2012/05/11 01:47:13
    Jim in SC
    I think there are many things that restrict the mind. Actually, I think it is more human nature to tend towards being closed in thinking, that close mindedness is ingrained in the human condition, and is manifested in many ways. On this site, it is seen mostly in religious or political discussion.

I think faith is more a commodity, not a crutch. Actually, we all live our lives very much dependent on faith, even if we do not realize it. If you travel, you place a tremendous amount of faith in the ability and attentiveness of those driving near you. If you sit in a chair, you place a lot of faith in the strength of the structure of the chair, that it will not collapse below you. Faith is actually more an expectant anticipation in my view.

Regarding your comment "it varies on what is being actually taught and who teaches it", I agree wholeheartedly. There are many people in history who have taught incorrectly within the confines of religion and within the confines of academia and the secular world (Hitler and Stalin would be examples here). That again is that human nature thing, which is often self seeking very much to the detriment of those "in the way."
  • brination Jim in SC 2012/05/11 14:37:59
    brination
    I can agree with you relating to the whole termonology of one having faith , I get what you're saying because even doing everyday things on a daily basis , in a way is relying on faith. Also they way one lives their life everyday , spending time with their family once a week often called a tradition can also be refered to as an religion becauses its what you do , what you practice , the perception on how you view things. You definitely opened my mind to that notion of thinking.
  • sockpuppet 2012/05/07 05:01:50
    Nothing can be done...
    sockpuppet
    +1
    On a personal level, religion helps people cope with the idea of mortality. On the societal level, it prevents chaos and mayhem. It also gives us a sense of continuity with previous generations. It provides a support network in communities of every size.

Right or wrong, it probably solves more problems than it creates, in the long run.
  • Jim in SC sockpuppet 2012/05/07 10:25:12
    Jim in SC
    +1
    Thanks for your reply.
  • Scott 2012/05/07 04:02:39
    Nothing can be done...
    Scott
    +1
    Unfortunately, religion will live on for the foreseeable future. Perhaps some day in the future, when we reach a higher state of enlightenment, the waste of time that is religion, will no longer exist.
  • Jim in SC Scott 2012/05/07 04:10:30
    Jim in SC
    Thanks for your reply. Why do you feel religion is a waste of time? Have you been religious in the past, or always felt this way?
  • Scott Jim in SC 2012/05/07 04:25:31
    Scott
    I went through a semi religious upbringing, but never really bought into it. Religion is just way too random. If you were born here in the USA, there's a good chance you're christian, India; Hindu, Iraq; Muslim, Israel;Jewish, and so on. Of course, each thinks theirs is the only true religion, when in fact, there's no proof of any of them. There are many reasons to doubt, but in every case, it always boils down to one thing; Faith. That's all there can be because there's nothing else.
  • Jim in SC Scott 2012/05/07 10:32:07
    Jim in SC
    I agree there are many reasons to doubt any belief system. Just out of curiosity, when you say there's no proof of any of the religions, what exactly do you mean? What would you consider to be proof?
  • Scott Jim in SC 2012/05/07 15:50:35 (edited)
    Scott
    I'm not saying there's no proof of religion. I'm saying there's no proof of the existence of the Gods upon which religion is based. I'm also not saying that there is no God. I just don't know. No one knows, but there are plenty of people who are damn sure they do.
  • Jim in SC Scott 2012/05/09 03:30:53
    Jim in SC
    Thanks for the clarification of what you meant. What type of proof would you consider as valid proof of the existence of a deity?
  • Scott Jim in SC 2012/05/09 16:43:41
    Scott
    A personal appearance. It can either be a one on one with me, or as a guest on, say, the Jimmy Kimmel show.

2014/07/24 06:33:54