If you hit a deer with your car, can it still survive? (read description)

David - a nudist 2011/03/03 09:01:02
Related Topics: Car, Read, Home
This question is for those of you who drive, especially those of you who have encountered deer on the road while driving. More specifically, at what speed can you hit a deer by accident without killing it? I'm asking because I was reminded of an accident involving a deer I had about 10 or 12 years ago.

One night, late, I was driving along a road and, for some reason, I was in a bit of a hurry. I guess I was hurrying to get home. Big mistake, especially late at night, which I learned the hard way. No one else was in the car with me. I was alone. In a "Speed Limit 50" zone, I was doing about 55 mph, which is relatively not that fast if you consider how fast some people drive. Though, I wonder if they drive fast late at night. But, that's another story.

Anyway, I was driving with my regular beams, rather than my high beams, forgetting about what might happen with limited visibility. Sure enough, I spotted a deer in the middle of the road a little too late to avoid the inevitable. I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could, but it was too close. I did try to stop. It just turned out I couldn't stop in time. Could you come to a full stop doing 55 mph with only 10 or 15 feet of space? Okay, maybe it was 20 or 30 feet, but it looked closer.

When I hit the deer, I happened to glance at the speedometer at that moment and it had dropped to about 25 mph. So, I did slow down from 55 to 25, which is not too bad, right? After the collision, I glanced back at the deer and I saw it limp away into the woods and out of sight before I kept driving towards home. I'm lucky no one else was behind me at the time. That could have turned into a major car pile up!

For several days, I was loaded with guilt over hitting that deer. And, every time I think of that night, I still can't get over it to this day! It's amazing I didn't go for therapy over the guilt issue alone. That's how guilty I felt. I knew it was my fault for hitting the deer and I've regretted it ever since.

So, this question actually has two parts to it.

1) If you hit a deer with your car, can it still survive?
2) At what speed can you hit a deer with your car without killing it?

• Dave The Canuck 2012/08/07 19:44:28
    Dave The Canuck
    If the deer was able to walk (which it could) after the collision, it probably survived. If you had been going, say, 40mph, you'd have probably killed it.
  • KY REDNECK 2011/03/07 16:51:39
    KY REDNECK
    I know this that if I hit a deer with my truck It isn't going to survive because I am going to shoot it. Good eating
  • Superpepsiman20 2011/03/04 06:24:26
    Superpepsiman20
    I don't know how fast you can go without killing it but I know if you hit one going over 60mph it will die.
    Well here's my story:I was driving home one night on a two lane country road. I was going alittle over 60mph. When all of a sudden there was two deer standing in the road one was on the other lane and the other was strattling the yellow line...her a$$ was on my side. It happened so fast I didn't believe i hit it at first. but when i hit the deer it's head hit my fender and its ass went flying...It completly cleared the car. the next day i went looking for it and it was about 10 feet from the road...I don't know if the deer landed the or if thats as far as it got before it died.
  • David -... Superpe... 2011/03/05 00:16:25
  • METALheadMom 2011/03/03 19:27:38
    METALheadMom
    It depends on how FAST you are going, and WHERE you hit it. Usually the deer will suffer internal injuries and die within days even if it sprints away. SLOW DOWN in dear country PLEASE.
  • RoyDMercer - IFOTFD 2011/03/03 13:50:13
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    It all depends where the deer is hit. I have hit at least 10 - 15 in my life and several have survived. FYI, if a deer is on the side of the road, it is best to have your low beams on as to not spook the deer as much as high beams do. If they are blinded by your lighrs, they are more likely to start running and end up getting hit by your car or other cars.
    YUP! A good friend of mine clocked one about a week ago.... totaled her car - she was pissed about that.... and the damn thing got up and trotted off! ( That made her even madder! )
  • David - a nudist 2011/03/03 09:03:43

2014/08/20 08:57:40