If You Have Stolen Something From the Store, What Kind of Item Was It?

What can we say? We're gaga over groceries! While we shop for our favorite snacks at the store, we often wonder if our grocery store etiquette is the same as others. Do most people sneak in samples at the candy bins while deciding whether or not they're going to buy the goods? What do you do when the cashier gives you too much change? And is it normal to go grocery shopping three times a week? We're finally going to find out.

Take our 8-question "Gaga Over Groceries" survey to have your vote count in the stats -- and have fun shopping!

• FlyAway 2012/09/08 18:34:20
    Food, candy or gum
    FlyAway
    +10
    I was about 6 and I slipped a pack of bubble gum in my pocket and ended up not paying for it...
    badass rage face

thug life gif

• Skylaris Alanis 2012/09/10 00:09:53
    Food, candy or gum
    Skylaris Alanis
    +1
    Just a wittle swedish fish from wegman's....
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/09/09 23:41:33
    Cards, books or magazines
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    16 & Stupid. Never again.
  • janet 2012/09/09 23:12:27
    Nothing
    janet
    +1
    Grateful that I never had the need to do so : )
  • Q 2012/09/09 22:37:30
    Food, candy or gum
    Q
    I got caught stealing a pack of Reese cups from the local Mom and Pop market when I was twelve and that was the last time I ever shoplifted anything. reese cups
  • Denny 2012/09/09 22:36:12
    Food, candy or gum
    Denny
    Was caught at neighborhood food store before 7/11's and got caught stealing a 2 cent tootsie roll because I wasn't good at that crime thingy. I opened it in front of the store window and the manager saw me.
  • volubleasteroid 2012/09/09 20:46:56
    Other
    volubleasteroid
    i do not steal
  • Bazinga! 2012/09/09 20:35:13 (edited)
    Food, candy or gum
    Bazinga!
    +2
    One dayI stoled from the local grocery one Kit Kat and some Oreos. I could sneak out without anyone caughting me. Awesome! Next weekend I did the same thing, with the slight difference that I was caught by the grocery owner. Result? She forced me to pay for the Oreos (but i had saved the kit kat) and told my mom what I did (small town, everyone know everyone) and later that they, my mom gave me a super beating. My thoughts in the end of that day, while eating the Kit Kat?
    result forced pay items told mom town mom super beating
  • Sailor Jerry [Proud Liberta... 2012/09/09 20:23:36
    Alcohol or cigarettes
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    i've jacked several bottles of booze from walmart.
  • ❦♚Miran... Sailor ... 2012/09/10 20:29:11
    ❦♚Miranda♚❧
    Walmart sells alcohol? O.o
  • RoseyRhod ❦♚Miran... 2012/09/11 02:09:42
    RoseyRhod
    My guess would be Texas. Their liquor laws tend to be more lax.
  • Sailor ... RoseyRhod 2012/09/11 02:46:26
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    i live in iowa.
  • raschell97 RoseyRhod 2012/09/11 21:22:39
    raschell97
    not any more they aren't It's near impossible for my 47 yr old mother to buy a bottle of booze
  • Sailor ... ❦♚Miran... 2012/09/11 02:46:09
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    In Iowa, yes. liquor laws in the hawkeye state were relaxed a couple of years ago.
  • ID51 2012/09/09 19:19:28
    Nothing
    ID51
    Never did that. I learned early - that it's not what we do. My brother took a toy once when he was about 6, and my mother hauled him back to the store. He had to turn it in to the manager and apologize. When the manager tried to give him the toy, my mother explained that she was trying to rear her son not to be a thief...
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/09/09 17:46:58 (edited)
    Other
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Ten years old, I took a 10 cent comic book. My Marine Master Gunney dad caught me outside. Took me back inside, paid for the comic book, told the guy to give it to someone who didn't steal stuff. Then he took me to the local sheriff's office had him put me in a jail cell for a while by myself. After a while he reappeared and said, "Not a very nice pl;ace is it? This is what happens to people who steal and break the law."

Then he took me home. I NEVER stole anything EVER AGAIN in my life.
  • Sebastian 2012/09/09 17:42:21
    Food, candy or gum
    Sebastian
    Stole candy when I was a kid, my mom never found out :D Also stole a toy (Shockwave the Transformer) with my brother when we were real young. My mom DID find out about that one. She scared the hell out of us telling us they were gonna come take us away if anyone found out. We were too ashamed of ourselves and frightened to even want to play with the toy. Never stole again after that :-D
  • Skar 2012/09/09 16:53:55
    Food, candy or gum
    Skar
    When I was like 6 or 7. My mom saw me eating it when we got to the car and took me back in and made me apologize to the manager and pay for it. I also had to give back what I had left in my pockets.
  • Daryl 2012/09/09 16:38:29
    Nothing
    Daryl
    I don't steal.

I am not a Democrat.
  • RoseyRhod Daryl 2012/09/11 02:10:52
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    But of course. Because Republicans never do anything dishonest. Riiiiiight.
  • Waiting in the Wings 2012/09/09 13:48:50
    Food, candy or gum
    Waiting in the Wings
    I was young and I took chocolate once. I pay for everything now and if the cashier skips something I tell him or her.
  • Playerazzi 2012/09/09 09:49:00
    Nothing
    Playerazzi
    Well, I did once when I was a kid.

Got caught, and "paid" my debt to society. (Dad made me go back to the store say I'm sorry, and pay for the item).
  • charles.johnson.965 2012/09/09 07:48:25
    Food, candy or gum
    charles.johnson.965
    A box of Tic Tacs.
  • Sonny 2012/09/09 04:49:14
    Cards, books or magazines
    Sonny
    Thank god I only did that when I was a child, I had no judgement or moral then but that was the only one time I ever stole anything in my life. that was a pen in a store, but would never ever do that as an adult. Stealing is very wrong, and will only put shame on you if your caught in public. Stealing is as bad as being prejudiced
    stealing
  • MO.gal 2012/09/09 04:36:39
    Nothing
    MO.gal
    +2
    I have never stolen anything. I don't steal!
  • PandahSixx 2012/09/09 00:53:35
  • Jon 2012/09/08 23:58:32
    Nothing
    Jon
    +1
    Question should be how honest are you? if you saw that the clerk didn't charge for an item(s) would you tell the clerk or leave the store feeling guilty or guiltless.
    I for one never saw the stealing pays,because you alway loose more than you again down the road. man and brief case
  • Fluttershy 2012/09/08 21:27:28
    Other
    Fluttershy
    let me say that we didn't mean t osteal them it was actually a complete accident. my dad was taking me school shopping at the mall and we went to hot topic. i found a Gir bag that i wanted and we bought it. when we got home we found four little buttons, with funny saying, inside that each said $2.99 on the back. we threw them away, but they were technically stolen even if we didn't put them in there. Like i said, complete accident.
  • Miss Ellen 2012/09/08 20:40:58
    Cosmetics or personal care
    Miss Ellen
    I was a kid and I wouldn't do that now.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/09/08 18:54:56
    Other
    MOMMA THOMAS
    FIFTY CENTS FROM MY MOM'S COIN PURSE, ...BOUGHT A BAG OF PENNEY CANDY FOR MY NEIGHBORHOOD BUDDIES. OF COURSE I GOT CAUGHT.... MOM TOOK CARE OF ME!
  • Mamaknows 2012/09/08 18:51:23
    Food, candy or gum
    Mamaknows
    :) as a kid we were DIRT poor. 0-13years old. As in going for 3-4 days without eating ANYTHING. So I shop lifted food/candy(I was a kid). When I became on my own at 13 and got some jobs I paid for things and took great pride in being able to support myself.
    I think most kids go through a faze of stealing for whatever reason.....as long as you learn from it and grow out of it!
  • FlyAway 2012/09/08 18:34:20
    Food, candy or gum
    FlyAway
    +10
    badass rage face

thug life gif
  • Amelia FlyAway 2012/09/11 00:42:00
    Amelia
    where did you get these from?
  • C. C. R... FlyAway 2012/09/11 18:53:09
    C. C. Rider
    +1
    lol lol That is perfect.
  • bcarrera FlyAway 2012/09/17 23:30:38
    bcarrera
    LMFAO!!!!
  • TasselLady 2012/09/08 14:47:37
    Nothing
    TasselLady
    +2
    I never ever stole from a store and will not start now. Do you really think I would want petty theft put on a police record that stays there for the rest of my life? No way man! I like my life as it is. I sure don't need to go to jail over something stupid.
  • Stevethinks 2012/09/08 14:30:18
    Nothing
    Stevethinks
    +1
    I'm not the government.
  • unreligious 2012/09/08 11:39:58
    Food, candy or gum
    unreligious
    This was a pretty poorly designed survey. I found myself check other often because it really did not give options that applied to me.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/09/08 08:42:12
    Nothing
    Just Jenn for Now
    I think the most I did was pick some petals off the flowers in floral department when I was young. But hey, we were all kids at one point.

Today as a retail employee, shoplifters disgust me more than ever. Until you learn about retail and business in general, you can't really understand how harmful shoplifting is, no matter how petty the theft. It hurts everyone.

I think the case that has me the most pissed off is this regular we've had a few times. The first time, he was spotted, but bolted before anyone confronted him. The second time I wasn't there, but someone else ran off with his bike that he rode to the store with. WE, the store workers, actually helped get his bike back for him before the culprit got far.

Of course it was too much to hope for that he wouldn't try lifting from us again. I spotted him a third time and called for management. My manager kept an eye on him but let him shop, just to see if he was still at his game. He was... I was livid after what I'd heard that WE had done for him, and he has THE GALL to continue trying to get free merchandise from us. He's banned from the store now with no further chances of permission back through our doors.

A petty lifter, but it's enraging and disgusting all the same. I suppose he's lucky California is so loopy with the law system when it comes to theft in a business, but I sincerely hope he gets his just desserts.
  • Doctor 2012/09/08 03:50:14
    Nothing
    Doctor
    Well kind of. I walked out of walmart with a bow tie in my pocket, but then after I remembered I quickly went back inside and payed for it, and apoligised.
  • Drebi 2012/09/08 03:15:40
    Nothing
    Drebi
    When I was a kid (and occasionally as a teen) I did eat/drink stuff in the store while I was shopping but I always paid for it before leaving.

2014/10/24 20:42:51