If you have ever worked in foriegn countries, did you enjoy it?

MichaelJ 2012/06/05 11:12:59
I have worked in foriegn countries most of my career. I am appraoching retirement and am on my last assignment. I just wondered what others thought about their experiences working overseas. Was it worth it? Did you enjoy your time there?

• Reichstolz 2012/06/05 14:00:15
    Reichstolz
    +1
    I have worked in France, Germany, Somolia, Congo, Chile, Brazil, and Columbia. Some where great experiences and some were not. It was always worth my time, you do not understand what places and people are like until you live among them.
  • MichaelJ Reichstolz 2012/06/05 15:59:14
    MichaelJ
    Reich, you have been around haven't you! I have mostly work in various African countries and five years in Papua New Guinea. I enjoyed most of it but I am glad it's coming to an end in the next couple of years.
  • sockpuppet 2012/06/05 13:42:16
    sockpuppet
    +1
    I did in the military, and liked it a lot... even, given the circumstances. :O)
  • Dale 2012/06/05 13:27:47
    Dale
    +2
    If one calls Military Service "Working in Foreign Countries" then I qualify to answer. I spent a total of 15 years overseas, Europe, SEA, and North Asia. Great duty except for 'Nam where there were people that were seriously trying to do you bodily harm.
  • MichaelJ Dale 2012/06/05 13:57:00 (edited)
    MichaelJ
    +1
    Sockpuppet and yourself may have seen overseas but certainly not in the best of circumstances. In any case I thank both of you for your service.

I have had it somewhat easier than you guys. I made good money and wasn't getting shot at.
  • Dale MichaelJ 2012/06/05 15:32:00
    Dale
    Please don't misunderstand. My time there was great, even 'Nam to a certain extent. I was not what one would call a "barracks rat" in that I got out, met the people, toured the countryside, and got to know the culture. In addition, I was able to get a couple of degree's taking night classes. I was able to learn a couple of other languages enough that I was comfortable in a "home-like" atmosphere. Of course, politics, religion, and medicine was way beyond my comprehension. I thouroughly enjoyed myself. But of course, I did not have any family with me and that may have been what offered my the opporunity to do what I did. Yes, I was busy, but oh man, was it fun!
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/06/05 11:53:37
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +2
    I had a five-year Expatriate assignment - two years in Hong Kong and three years in Belgium - and it was a tremendous experience... rewarding in many ways. Sure, it took a big accounting firm to sort out my tax issues, but my family gained much along the way.
  • MichaelJ DS in O... 2012/06/05 11:58:10
    MichaelJ
    DS, it does seem you had a great experience because your family went with you and you got to go some great places. All of my assignments have been single status and in countries like Angola and Nigeria. Great people but still countries with a lot of problems.
  • DS in O... MichaelJ 2012/06/05 13:34:04
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +1
    That sums it up well. I traveled to places I would not be comfortable living, and our kids were both born during that 5 year tour. We were newlyweds when the trip began. But it worked out great for us, and gave the kids a twist to write in college application essays.

2014/10/25 12:44:48