If time and space are connected, flowing in the same direction and inseparable, would that mean that if the universe reaches a point that causes it to spring back in on itself time would follow suit?

Related Topics: Religion, God, Death
Yes.
Nope.
I think...
I've considered many times that time may exist much like a stationary lake, that we are currently floating in, moving in one direction, unable to stop or change our path. Who knows, maybe one day it will be possible to slow things down, stop and then traverse that lake in any direction we feel like, which is an intriguing thought

I also think that Big Bang theorists are jumping to a conclusion that may appear to be accurate when viewing things from a limited human perspective, but may also be wrong. Some assume that an expanding universe implies the universe had a start point which it's moving out from, but I think that possibility is no more likely than my own personal theory that the universe could be beating like a human heart. Not in the same way of course, with a simplistic beat, but I think the universe has probably always existed in one form or another and always will, constantly changing shape in a state of perpetual flux.

There's no reason to assume, as many do, that time and the universe both had initial start points, exist for a time and will some day come to an end. I can't help thinking that we expect the universe to adhere to the same principles of birth, life and death that we experience ourselves. The thing is we don't fully understand enough about the human soul and whether or not it exists before or after physical life. We may be eternal beings who just exist as physical lifeforms every now and then, purely for the experience, in which case birth and death aren't the big deal that we believe them to be because they're nothing more than transitions

Everything we know suggests that it's not possible for 'something' to come from 'nothing', yet this is what religion and science both claim is true. The universe was either created from nothing or exploded from nothing, but both of those ideas make no sense to me, but what does is that the universe and time are without beginning and end, they simply are. If the idea that God has always existed is easy for religious people to accept, why is the idea of an eternal universe any different? If scientists believe that something existed before this universe, somewhere and that somehow our existence poured in from there, why would the concept of that other place being this same universe in a different form not be an acceptable possibility worthy of consideration?

Maybe time flows in one direction when the universe is on an outward beat, which means that when it reaches the point where it will start to retract inwards time will also work it's way backwards. If the two are connected, we could be reliving the same existence over and over throughout eternity. :o)

outward beat reaches retract inwards work connected reliving existence eternity

• BadDog 2011/02/23 15:52:53
    I think...
    BadDog
    +4
    It may be expanding, but will never 'spring back'.....I think. It has been expanding for billions and billions of years.
    Time, gravity and mass are all interconnected. Mankind has been able to explain mass only just a tad. We use clocks to keep track of the sun, not time. We just call it time.

mass interconnected mankind explain mass tad clocks track sun
    Voyager 1 took this after it passed Pluto.

• WshngMchn 2011/03/01 20:44:42 (edited)
    I think...
    WshngMchn
    +2
    I hardly understand cosmological science, but every fiber of my being tells me the universe will eventually collapse back into a single point, i.e. some form of cyclical bang/crunch.

As for how the reversal would effect time, what I understand about string theory (which isn't much) implies that space and time are related to the surface area of the universe, so a reversal in surface area would, I suppose, reverse time.

But again, I'm not sure I have any clue what I'm talking about. I just watched that "Wormhole" series with Morgan Freeman last week so I feel smarter, but I probably have it wrong.
  • Michael McFascist 2011/03/01 20:34:46
    I think...
    Michael McFascist
    +2
    There's something very appealing to me about the oscillating universe idea. If it actually functioned like a beating heart that would be philosophically very neat and tidy. But for now that's not how things appear to be. Everything seems to be expanding at an exponential rate and the BIG HEADS think it's been doing so for they believe something like 7 billion years. But, I guess if at some point the universe reversed it's runaway expansion and started collapsing in on itself that would break the 2nd law of thermodynamics...it would be like the egg unscrambling itself...order would increase instead of chaos. So, in that sense time would be running in reverse. But the question is how would beings experience time in such a universe? would they actually experience there lives backwards, unlearning things as they went along, unexperiencing things as they lived. Would they remember their futures without being able to see the past which would be laid in front of them? It would be hard for anyone including myself to imagine a life like that...it's just too strange.
  • Sheila 2011/02/25 09:57:51
    I think...
    Sheila
    +2
    I think. Then...
    exploding head
  • Joe Strummer 2011/02/25 03:02:52
    I think...
    Joe Strummer
    +1
    If the laws of science and physics are upheld...The Universe has a point of origin and is ever expanding...for that matter..time has a begining as well as space. Recent developments by some cosmologists...see the universe as eternal or expanding and contracting repeatedly....Every cause and effect has a "first cause".....If the universe, time and matter are eternal...mathematicly... it would be impossible to reach..today...this moment, here and now..
    (because of something called an "infinite regression") Adherents to theorys like an expanding/contracting universe (Hawking)...Would probably be better at philosophy than real science.
  • Jana~ una chica loca 2011/02/24 23:39:10
    I think...
    Jana~ una chica loca
    +1
    dunno, never been good at logical stuff
  • Hamm0ckjames 2011/02/24 03:30:31
    I think...
    Hamm0ckjames
    +1
    I think after reading all of that I have a Headache! Oh, Yea,. Be kind,,,, Rewind.
  • birdman 2011/02/24 02:39:40
    Yes.
    birdman
    +1
    It would seem logical.
  • teaputts 2011/02/24 00:16:54
    I think...
    teaputts
    +1
    Possibly. I don't think we know nearly as much as we think we do. If people keep searching for answers, we will eventually get the knowledge. But the speculation and the imaginings of the possiblities are lots of fun.
  • that0neguy 2011/02/24 00:06:08
    I think...
    that0neguy
    +2
    I think I don't quite understand your question. Key phrase being "flowing in the same direction." What direction is that?
  • Dark De... that0neguy 2011/02/25 12:31:32
    Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    Just like light travels in straight lines, time as we perceive it is linear and along with the universe could theoretically be travelling outwards in one direction. It's just an idea. :o)
  • 12345678910 2011/02/23 23:43:32
    Yes.
    12345678910
    +2
    Prot said so in K-PAX.
    When the universe reaches a certain point of expansion it will spring back on itself and time will flow backwards. It flows back to the Big Bang, then re-explodes outward in a never ending series of expansion and contraction. Your life, all your triumphs and tragedies, your failures and successes...you're fated to experience them over and over again for all eternity. So it's important to get your life right!
  • Dark De... 1234567... 2011/02/25 12:27:54
    +1
    Cool, I'll have to watch it. I love Kevin Spacey, but never got around to watching that movie. :o)
  • 1234567... Dark De... 2011/02/25 12:29:41
    12345678910
    +1
    Great movie. Watch it twice.
  • Jonas Le Miserable 2011/02/23 22:46:17
    Nope.
    Jonas Le Miserable
    +1
    If it were like the boat flowing, that would somewhat mean that we by any time, can see P51-Mustangs, Spitfires and Zeros in an epic dogfight, Yamato still sailing, Nagasaki and Hiroshima being nuked over and over. Titanic sail, and sink over and over. And so far, I sadly haven't seen a Spitfire nor a P51-Mustang flying above. Would be so cool!
  • Rabbit 2011/02/23 21:48:59
    Nope.
    Rabbit
    +2
    Not in the real world. In the world we live in, when an explosion occures and the explosion is in rebound (action reaction) the damage done by the explosion does not rebound. I'm just saying. explosion occures explosion rebound action reaction damage explosion rebound explosion
  • Robbb 2011/02/23 20:46:27
    Nope.
    Robbb
    +1
    The nature of the universe seems to me to be just about totally incomprehensible, there is just too much information to digest. However I have always been under the impression that the concept of time and space are just just convenient tool that we humans use in our dealings in our confusion. The Hindus have a model of the universe being a breathing single entity that explodes and intern contracts then starts again. I find it impossible to speak without referring to time and space. however all of this is happening without the benefit of time and space. There are mathematicians that can explain in their own strange language that before the big bang there was no time nor space will have to take their word for their figures as I am just too lazy to get that bit of math into my mind. However they claim that it can be shown that something can come from nothing and then disappear into that same nothing again. Perhaps the nothing is the heaven the religions all speak of.
  • Camda 2011/02/23 20:21:23 (edited)
    I think...
    Camda
    +1
    I'm not an expert, I've had to research this too because like any logical human I have questions too. Referring to time. In physics time exists as a rhythm of sorts, a vibration if you will that exists only in coarse matter. There are only two matters, coarse which is what everything physical or measurable is made from. Then there is fine matter which is what we believe the spiritual and Creational energy is. This is called Null time, meaning that there is no physical time. These two matters live in layers just like for example how you can see your skin but cannot see the atoms that make up your skin, now underneath your skin are tissues blood vessels and blood flowing through, you cannot see this but it is there. Time is said to move in a spiral either front and back sort of like your DNA. It is a spiral with layers or rings that are not visible until you have crossed over to fine matter ie. when you die and expire. The Creation has logic to everything alive and it follows in it's own logical, natural rules. The same way The Creation has it's own cycle we mirror that logic. From what I have learned, we die only to be reincarnated again and our goal or purpose for being alive is to Evolve so that at the end of our cycle we tool shall join The Creation in the fine matter world....
    I'm not an expert, I've had to research this too because like any logical human I have questions too. Referring to time. In physics time exists as a rhythm of sorts, a vibration if you will that exists only in coarse matter. There are only two matters, coarse which is what everything physical or measurable is made from. Then there is fine matter which is what we believe the spiritual and Creational energy is. This is called Null time, meaning that there is no physical time. These two matters live in layers just like for example how you can see your skin but cannot see the atoms that make up your skin, now underneath your skin are tissues blood vessels and blood flowing through, you cannot see this but it is there. Time is said to move in a spiral either front and back sort of like your DNA. It is a spiral with layers or rings that are not visible until you have crossed over to fine matter ie. when you die and expire. The Creation has logic to everything alive and it follows in it's own logical, natural rules. The same way The Creation has it's own cycle we mirror that logic. From what I have learned, we die only to be reincarnated again and our goal or purpose for being alive is to Evolve so that at the end of our cycle we tool shall join The Creation in the fine matter world. This is what I have learned and you are free to believe it or not, but that's my two cents. Even the most highest of gods does not know the inner most secrets of The Creation, it exists and it has and will be for eternity and it is endless. We cannot fathom it's knowledge and power. It is the most high of anything that has ever existed. Even higher that any god. exists eternity endless fathom power high existed higher god
  • Leeaqua 2011/02/23 20:03:23
    Nope.
    Leeaqua
    +2
    So far the universe is expanding and shows no sign of reversal >
  • Dark De... Leeaqua 2011/02/23 20:56:48
    +1
    True, but it's also speeding up, which they've yet to be able to explain. The way I see it either they're wrong about the universe simply expanding from a central point or the space that our universe is rushing into is somehow attracting our universe and pulling it faster towards it. :o)
  • Leeaqua Dark De... 2011/02/25 15:53:32
    Leeaqua
    +1
    We have a lot to learn yet - we are but infants in the universe and on this planet .
  • fisherman 2011/02/23 19:54:49
    Yes.
    fisherman
    +1
    DAMN !!! so thats why when i drive at the speed of light and turn on the headlites i cant see em .
  • Sheila fisherman 2011/02/25 09:46:56
    Sheila
    +2
    I love Steven Wright, too.
  • Ann Thee Awesomest!!! 2011/02/23 19:48:50
    Yes.
    Ann Thee Awesomest!!!
    +1
    Yes/I think... there's soooo much I could say about this but, it's a super over load.. So (I read the whole thing) It makes alot of sense. I've ALWAYS thought that okay so how we were created.. that's simple.. how spirits are IDK and where the universe goes or how it was created it an IDK either and I've always tried to sit and think.. how? Is there some sort of chemical property or unknown, invisible energy that powers our spirits and we understand how the plantes, and galaxies etc. are formed but what was formed to formed then and what was formed to formed that, that formed them... It's a constant chain of questions... BUT I JUST STOP THINKING ABOUT IT SOO MUCH SOME TIMES BECAUSE, ITS TOO MUCH. I'd just like to know the answer before I died.. yah know? constant chain questions thinking soo times answer died yah Questions
  • Boulder Sue 2011/02/23 19:14:32
    I think...
    Boulder Sue
    +1
    I don't think we know enough to do more than speculate. This field is advancing and changing so rapidly, that evem Stephen Hawking has had to back up on some of his ideas. Who was it who said something like "The Universe is so strange that we cannot even imagine how strange it is"?
  • Dark De... Boulder... 2011/02/23 20:59:42
    I'm not sure who said it, but I agree with them. :o)
  • Harley Quinn 2011/02/23 18:59:56
    I think...
    Harley Quinn
    +1
    ...That my head just exploded from that thought.
  • Brandon 2011/02/23 18:52:33
    I think...
    Brandon
    +1
    That is one of the best questions to ask!
    The universe is a very arcane place and with little to no hope of ever being figured out completly.
  • ETpro 2011/02/23 18:39:33 (edited)
    I think...
    ETpro
    +1
    To answer your initial question, it is possible but we have no means of proving it at the moment. We cannot see beyond the event horizon to the singularity of the Big Bang about 13.75 billion years ago. What triggered it, and what lay beyond its event horizon within the singularity is unknown and currently unknowable. My guess is no, because time does not exist within a singularity -- and the spring-back would produce a singularity.

Your explanations and challenges to the Standard Model show great depth of thought, but that there is much about what leads cosmologists to the conclusions they currently hold that you are unaware of.

For one thing, there is far more hard evidence supporting the Big Bang theory then the one piece you stated -- that the Universe seems to be expanding from a central point of origin. There is a wealth of math relating to energy levels, the amount of mass, the Planck Constant and it's implications for how the matter of the universe coalesced from the initial state of near infinite energy and random particles at energies too high to even form atoms; i.e., chaos; and the very event horizon of the big bang itself, discernable from the Cosmic Background Radiation.

Another interesting fact is that the Universe isn't really expanding from a single point. It is...

Another interesting fact is that the Universe isn't really expanding from a single point. It is expanding from every point. If you point the most powerful telescopes available today in any direction from Earth, you will observe objects that emitted their light when stars first began to form about 700 million years after the Big Bang -- or 13 billion light years away. Aha! you might say. The Earth is therefore at the center of the Universe. But not so fast. All indications are that if you could travel faster than light and went 13 billion light years from Earth with that telescope, the most distant objects in every direction would still be 13 billion light years away in every direction. So what appears to be at the edge of the observable Universe to us here appears to be at the center of it when you are at that point. Thus, the Universe is either infinite, or it has more than 3 spatial dimensions and those beyond the 3 we can observe are tightly rolled up within themselves but influence the morphology of time-space. There are some good clues that the extra dimension explanation is right.

Another wrong assumption is that you cannot get something from nothing. Not only can that happen, it is happening all the time in the nothingness of space. Quantum fluctuations in the fabric of nothingness cause particle/anti-particle pairs to poof into existence randomly. In almost every instance, the gravitational attraction of the particles brings them quickly back together where they self annihilate. But near the event horizon of black holes, this doesn't necessarily happen. Occasionally one of the particles has sufficient inertia to escape the black hole's pull while it's unlucky opposite gets pulled in. Knowing this, we think it is possible that if ever there were a moment of absolute nothingness, quantum law would dictate not only that a Big Bang could occur, but that it would have to occur. Hawking's latest book deals with that. Fascinating reading. Who knows for sure whether it's right or not? See http://www.ted.com/talks/step... some of his thoughts given at a TED talk in 2008.

Personally, I postulate that given the strange multi-dimensional nature of space-time the expanding Universe may be rushing toward itself and ultimately collide producing another Big Bang, or it may reach a state of pure nothingness triggering the same event/ One thing I am pretty sure of. I won't know fir sure in my lifetime, because it's billions of years in the future when it will happen, and if I did know, there wouldn't be a damn thing I could do to change it. Hell, I probably couldn't even get anyone else to even believe me about it.
  • Manwë 2011/02/23 18:20:30
    I think...
    Manwë
    +2
    If that is so, then we have to consider that with infinity, there have to be multiverses.
  • Sheila Manwë 2011/02/25 09:50:39
    Sheila
    +1
    Multiverses.
  • Manwë Sheila 2011/02/26 03:40:51
  • Sheila Manwë 2011/02/26 13:57:32
    Sheila
    +2
    My comment wasn't a question that needed clarification. I should have finished off the comment with a tee-hee image. I like your word. I may revise my love-you saying to my hubbie/kids: I love you more than all the universes--no matter how many there are.
  • Lindasmind 2011/02/23 18:08:23
    I think...
    Lindasmind
    +1
    Arcca you have given me brain freeze.

arcca brain freeze Brain freeze gif
  • Jim in SC 2011/02/23 17:53:32
    I think...
    Jim in SC
    +1
    Interesting thought, worth more pondering.

I am of the thought that time exists in 3 dimensions, much like the 3 spacial dimensions. We are just limited to one dimension of the 3, with the conceptual ability for 2 dimensions when considering that we are also aware of our past.

If time existed in 3 dimensions, and one were able to traverse in all 3 of those dimensions, then one could go to any point along our known history, and consider it for an eternity in any direction that intersects with that point. Then simply return to the next point you want to observe, and repeat the process.
  • *♥jazwiet* 2011/02/23 17:34:26
    Yes.
    *♥jazwiet*
    +1
    Assuming the above said is true, time would probably have to follow, This or time would stop the universe from sprining back on itself....

This is al broad theory, really, so i'm not even going to try be scientific about it.
    Time is like a circular dougnut and upon reaching a certain point repeats itself. Don't ask what flavour, or if it has sprinkles. Remember- this is just another random theory that sprung to mind :D
  • Tau_Seti 2011/02/23 17:29:55
  • davidh BN-0 2011/02/23 17:27:18
    I think...
    davidh BN-0
    +1
    I am starting to think that the universe is one being. And the planets are mere cells and we people are nothing more than atoms. Scientist have found (And it is NOT a new idea, but rather a relearning of an understanding that occurred thousands of years ago) that all atoms are interconnected. They have found that two atoms can be "Joined" and no matter the distance between them, they move in unison. There is no reasoning behind this proven fact, it just is. And we have also found, over time, that as we become capable of viewing microscopic objects, that we have yet to reach the "Smallest" component of matter. If that is true, it stands to reason that the reverse is also true. We have yet to find the "Largest" component. Who knows, Maybe our reality and universe is nothing but one massively large creature. And as you reach the limits of the creature there is another world entirely that we would never be capable of grasping due to sheer size and complexity.

(Sorry, its kind of jumbled right now. I haven't spent much time thinking about it)
  • BobJessen 2011/02/23 16:52:17
    Yes.
    BobJessen
    +1
    Time is Motion...
  • Racefish 2011/02/23 16:39:10
    Nope.
    Racefish
    +1
    Time is not dependent on mass or direction, but on speed. There would be no affect.
  • BadDog 2011/02/23 15:52:53
    I think...
    BadDog
    +4

2014/04/23 13:43:52