If god exists, why does he do nothing?

Shilo 2010/03/21 22:17:01
I was reading last night from the latest addition to Steven Eriksons Malazan Series, "Dust of Dreams". I am constantly amazed by his many philosophical insights regarding humanity. The first two pages of the seventeenth chapter really got me thinking, so I'm going to share a bit of it and ask what you think.

"Children understood at a very young age that doing nothing was an expression of power. Doing nothing was a choice swollen with omnipotence. It was, in fact, godly.

And this, she now realized, was the reason why the gods did nothing. Proof of their omniscience. After all, to act was to announce awful limitations, for it revealed that chance acted first, the accidents were just that - events beyond the will of the gods - and all they could do in answer was to attempt to remedy the consequences, to alter natural ends. To act, then, was an admission of fallibility."

Read More: http://www.stevenerikson.com/index.php/dust-of-dre...

• Divi 2010/05/05 04:51:03
    Divi
    +2
    "The only evil done is when a good man does nothing." -- they say 'god' is love,, yet, love is an emotion manifested by ones thoughts and aspirations .. therefore, would 'god' be nothing more than a figment of ones imagination?

• Russ 2010/05/17 02:00:41
    Russ
    So god is just an unruly child pouting in the corner?
  • Shilo Russ 2010/05/17 02:53:51
    Shilo
    You tell me? I shared the passage to try and spark discussion. So far it's mostly failed.
  • Russ Shilo 2010/05/17 02:56:39
    Russ
    meh, I am agnostic. I dont believe god exists, nor do I claim that the possibility isnt there. If he/she/it wants to be a pouty child, so be it. h/s/i isnt worth my time till it grows up a lil.
  • Divi 2010/05/05 04:51:03
    Divi
    +2
  • Prometheus~phaet~ 2010/05/04 20:18:33
  • Dahanna S.O.C.K. P.U.P 2010/04/09 16:37:47 (edited)
    Dahanna S.O.C.K. P.U.P
    +1
    because....
    i have reasons to believe that
    God is king of all but at the moment he isn't in control.
    Satan/Lucifer is in control
    I think you all know he is evil...
    & evil want nothing but to destroy others.
    but God (Whom i believe in so much)
    will help if you really believe.
    because he's helped me...
    he's proved to me that he really exist & he is out there in the skies
  • Shilo Dahanna... 2010/04/09 16:54:57
    Shilo
    +1
    I understand what you're saying, for the most part. There's one thing I'm unclear of though, from your perspective. When you say that at the moment God is not in control, do you mean that Satan is currently more powerful than God? Or that God has willingly handed over control to Satan? I would think either of those things should be enough to shake anyone's faith. If he's not more powerful than the Devil and is incapable of protecting us from the Devil, then why should he be worthy of our worship? On the other hand, if he has willingly given control of the world and mankind to the most evil being in all creation, how much can he possibly care for us?

The only possibility I could see for God to be redeemed under the circumstances is for him to admit that he's not, in fact, all powerful, and he is instead doing all he can to counter the work of Satan, even though he's losing the battle. I could then understand people worshiping such a god. THAT is a martyrdom that makes sense to me. The way the story goes now, the sacrifice, well, isn't...There was no lasting ill effect to Christ. Sure, it probably hurt, but he knew he would come out of it ok.
  • Dahanna... Shilo 2010/04/09 17:44:55 (edited)
    Dahanna S.O.C.K. P.U.P
    +1
    do you mean that Satan is currently more powerful than God?

yes...
    he is

So you don't believe in God...?
    You think that Satan should be worshiped?
  • Shilo Dahanna... 2010/04/09 17:51:24
    Shilo
    +2
    Wow...I've never met a Christian before who believed such a thing. You intrigue me.

I do believe in god, but not the same one you do. And no, I don't believe Satan should be worshiped as the being described in the bible, though I admit a kind of respect for LaVey Satanism.
  • Dahanna... Shilo 2010/04/09 17:54:09
    Dahanna S.O.C.K. P.U.P
    +1
    im not a christian
    i believe in God...
    I dnt believe in Satan
    I dnt respect Satan...........
  • Shilo Dahanna... 2010/04/09 23:15:24
    Shilo
    +1
    If you don't believe in Satan, why do you say he's more powerful than god?
  • Dahanna... Shilo 2010/04/12 16:11:36
    Dahanna S.O.C.K. P.U.P
    +1
    uhm....just because someone is powerful (for now)
    doesn't mean that i should believe in him..............
    it's just like marrying a rich person, if something happened
    & they lost their money...i'll still love and be with that person...
    & still believe that they will gain their money back but i have to help.
  • Russ Dahanna... 2010/05/17 02:05:52
    Russ
    +1
    that makes no sense. You either believe something exists or you dont
  • Russ Shilo 2010/05/17 02:04:48
    Russ
    Satan isnt a real being as the christian bible describes it. That is just a twisting of the pagan (Wicca) horned god. What better was to change a people than make one of there gods evil.
    America has ignored God for a long time. He has turned His face from us. Get on your knees and form a prayer conversation with Him and pary for our salvation. Pray for those who put out your eyes while they ready your execution. Pray for our deliverence.
    There are times we do not see God's salvation until after He has done for us we could not do for ourselves.
    And Know God looks out at the sind=ful men in America and will not comeinto evil Our Christian ethic is evil and filled with Sin and the Leave others alone is a sinful way to live while there daily die many of our brothers and sisters and reside in Hell forever. A Great Natural Church Revival in the Middle of this Marxist onslaught would be a miricle. All the great TV Preachers do not speak of this. WHy NOT??? Is it not time that we the people begin a Christian Revival in America which God will bless and restore our Freedom.
  • Shilo jackola... 2010/03/22 21:32:05
    Shilo
    Great TV preachers? They probably don't talk about it because it's doesn't fill their wallets. Those televangelists are running a business, nothing more.

I can't believe that someone would, in the same breath, encourage a church revival and belittle the current American government. Did Jesus impoverish anyone in exchange for healing them? No, HE believed in free health care, because HE cared about people. Not that I believe in him, but it's a wonderful story, isn't it?

impoverish exchange healing believed free health care cared people story
  • Thomas 2010/03/22 12:26:50
    Thomas
    This is a question that so many people ask themselves, because they do not know Gods Plan, and how it works. I will try to simplify it for the masses. First: God gave us Free Will, that is to choose between Good and Evil. As our Father, He expects us to choose the Good in life. Knowing that we have this choice, and how we apply it to everything in our lives, is basicly the Test we are given. Secondly: Did not He give Satan Control of the Earth? This was done for a couple reasons, 1: To test our strength in resisting temptation, that is the negative things in life. 2: Believing His children will overcome this part of our Test, He does watch all of us closely, even as He knows that many will stumble along the way. He does do something, as especially today in this world as it is, He does intercede to maintain a Balance of Power here on Earth as our Test, and His Plan for Mankind comes to its end in this phase of our Human existance. As Satan continues to grow in power over this world we live in, God being God, knew that mankind would create a world that would that would be imperfect, making it easy for Satan, or what most understand as Negative forces, to corrupt everything that is in this world. Those that are strong enough to stick to their guns in not giving in to Satans inf...
    This is a question that so many people ask themselves, because they do not know Gods Plan, and how it works. I will try to simplify it for the masses. First: God gave us Free Will, that is to choose between Good and Evil. As our Father, He expects us to choose the Good in life. Knowing that we have this choice, and how we apply it to everything in our lives, is basicly the Test we are given. Secondly: Did not He give Satan Control of the Earth? This was done for a couple reasons, 1: To test our strength in resisting temptation, that is the negative things in life. 2: Believing His children will overcome this part of our Test, He does watch all of us closely, even as He knows that many will stumble along the way. He does do something, as especially today in this world as it is, He does intercede to maintain a Balance of Power here on Earth as our Test, and His Plan for Mankind comes to its end in this phase of our Human existance. As Satan continues to grow in power over this world we live in, God being God, knew that mankind would create a world that would that would be imperfect, making it easy for Satan, or what most understand as Negative forces, to corrupt everything that is in this world. Those that are strong enough to stick to their guns in not giving in to Satans influence, are those that are passing the Test. Unfortunatelyy, at this point in our existence, Satan seems to be winning, but God being God, already knew this would happen, and that many would fail, or just give up on doing the right thing, as life become harder to deal with. We have compromised with Satan to much in every aspect of Human life. This is why He told us that our world would end in our future, which IS now, in this age. As the Earth is His creation, and our Mother, did not He say that before everything is destroyed, that his Son would return to cut short this total destruction that satan wants to see? As our Father, He hopes for all his children to past the test, as He has said; " I do not mean for any of my children to be lost", even though He knows Satan will claim many of the 6 billion souls on this planet. So, if you are a believer, ask your Father to give you strength to do the Right and Good things for yourself, your family, and all those you love and care about. He will answer if you listen. Remember what Jesus said; "Ask, and you Shall recieve, Seek, and you will find, Knock, and the door Will be opened". Also, and most importantly, "Love thy Neighbor as Thyself". If people think that God does nothing, that is only because in these days, many have lost Faith because of how our world is turning out, and also because with so much of religious belief has been compromised by scandles, misinturpretations of scriptures in the Bible, Torah, and Koran, that cause people to question if God has abandoned us, is not listening to us, or is now irrelevent in our lives because of what is happening all around us. Those that hang in there, will find that He does do for those that stay strong and look for the Strength, and more importantly, Wisdom, which only comes from the Father, that we can Truely make a difference in how the End will affect all of Mankind. Peace
  • Shilo Thomas 2010/03/22 17:21:13
    Shilo
    I disagree with what you say, but I love the way you said it. Thanks for taking the time to answer :)
  • Thomas Shilo 2010/03/23 12:53:17
    Thomas
    What do you disagree with? Everything, or part?
  • Shilo Thomas 2010/03/23 22:02:20
    Shilo
    I don't believe in the Christian god, that's all. But I appreciate the tone of your response. It wasn't pushy or condescending. You came across as someone with genuine concern, and I admire that.
  • Thomas Shilo 2010/03/25 23:13:24
    Thomas
    Thank you Shilo. The problem with mankind is religion has become a competition between religions. Mine is better then yours, I won't have anything to do with you because you are a Muslim, Jew, Hindi, Bhudist etc.etc. But there really is a God, and we are All his children. I happen to be the biggest doubter of all when it comes to heavy duty subjects. Untill its proven to me, I don't take anyones word for it. Heres an example: In 1977 I was blown up in a boat explosion. About a week later I died from my burns which covered over 2/3's of my body.I went on that Trip people talk about, and did see the "other side".And the main thing was God had a heart to heart with me, and told me it wasn't my time yet, so I was sent back. I was dead for about 5-7 minutes before the doctors revived me. I wanted proof that God existed, and I got it, though it was the hard way. being burned is a hell of a way to go. Always try to do the Right thing. Thats a good start for all humans. Peace
    +1
    If he does NOTHING to help, then he better NOT ask me to kiss his butt.....

2014/09/18 01:49:35